Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
How's Assetto Corsa or Project Cars 2 in VR, and do you need a wheel to get anything out of them? They're in a Humble Bundle right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm trying out Virtual Desktop to wirelessly stream stuff from my PC, but there's no "Start SteamVR" option. Do I have to sideload some old rear end version of the app or something?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

This is absolutely stunning, and all I’ve done is f’ed around in steamvr and flew around in google earth. Zero motion sickness or anything so far, happy about that. The tracking fidelity is incredible.

I’m not getting any audio off the headset, don’t see any new options in the system sound output control panel, and in fact my monitor’s not showing up as an output option anymore. Both the monitor and the headset are connected to the same card via DP, of course.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

sigher posted:

I'm trying out Virtual Desktop to wirelessly stream stuff from my PC, but there's no "Start SteamVR" option. Do I have to sideload some old rear end version of the app or something?

Yeah, either install it through SideQuest from here https://sidequestvr.com/#/

Or install the apk yourself manually from here https://github.com/guygodin/VirtualDesktop/releases

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So I was googling up some info about the Index controllers and a lot of results came up about how the first couple waves had a bunch of issues with the sticks drifting / not clicking in properly. I haven't gotten an email inviting me to give them money yet, but I'm still kind of worried because I was looking forward to playing shooters without having to rely on the lovely Vive touchpads. Anyone know if those issues have been resolved in the last batch or two?

Bad Munki posted:

Is there a must-have list of apps/games for this Index I supposedly have coming my way? Games, experiences, utilities, etc. Fun one-offs to let the friends/family try out when they visit, actual games with a goal, whatever. Personally dont really care much about pure sandbox play, but other than that, whats immediately recommended?

There's a bundle on Steam called "VR Essentials" that has some pretty good stuff to start you off. I wouldn't buy it at full price though, when I got it during the winter sale it was like 60% off.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Munki posted:

This is absolutely stunning, and all I’ve done is f’ed around in steamvr and flew around in google earth. Zero motion sickness or anything so far, happy about that. The tracking fidelity is incredible.

I’m not getting any audio off the headset, don’t see any new options in the system sound output control panel, and in fact my monitor’s not showing up as an output option anymore. Both the monitor and the headset are connected to the same card via DP, of course.

Give your PC a reboot if you haven't since installing/updating everything for the Index. Mine didn't want to play nice with my Vive when I first set it up until I did.

raditts posted:

So I was googling up some info about the Index controllers and a lot of results came up about how the first couple waves had a bunch of issues with the sticks drifting / not clicking in properly. I haven't gotten an email inviting me to give them money yet, but I'm still kind of worried because I was looking forward to playing shooters without having to rely on the lovely Vive touchpads. Anyone know if those issues have been resolved in the last batch or two?

There's a non-zero chance the new batch has fixed it, but mine came in November and the left is starting to drift a little :sigh:.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

King Vidiot posted:

How's Assetto Corsa or Project Cars 2 in VR, and do you need a wheel to get anything out of them? They're in a Humble Bundle right now.

They're both good poo poo in VR, though PCARS2 requires a beefy system, to the point that I have to scale it down until it looks like iRacing to get stable fps.

Both have sim (or at least sim-lite) physics and are best played with wheels, but I've heard that PCARS2 can be made serviceable on game pad with some tweaks. It won't control as well as Forza or Turismo, though.

Please immediately spend $300 on a budget wheel and join us in the racing sim brokebrains thread.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Shine posted:

Please immediately spend $300 on a budget wheel and join us in the racing sim brokebrains thread.

I bought a PS2 era Logitech Driving Force GT a few years ago for like $70, and it's still awesome. Seriously, despite being old as gently caress it gives very strong and detailed feedback, I can feel the drat seams in the road.

I'm sure that your $300 "budget" wheel is great, but I don't feel like I ever need anything better than the Driving Force GT. Maybe I'll get something better if the thing ever dies.

You can still get em pretty cheap on eBay, and they're fully Windows compatible.

Here's the cheapest one I could find looking for one minute (might be better deals on Amazon or elsewhere, I don't know):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-D...1eaOTC&LH_BIN=1

But yeah, racing in VR with a force feedback wheel and pedals is by far, one of the most immersive experiences I've had in VR. It's seriously amazing to feel the forces coming from the wheel, perfectly aligned to what's happening in the game in VR.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Shine posted:

I'm hoping the Index is a big step up for sim stuff over the CV1, I've had a Logitech G29 rig for a while but haven't really been able to get into sim stuff yet.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

For a new wheel, 200-300 is the budget range, hence why the sim racing thread requires brokebrain. The DFGT is a fine wheel, if you can find one kicking around on eBay or Craigslist. I got one for my dad when I made him a simpit for Christmas. The G29 is basically a refined version with fancier pedals.

Basically any wheel out there is serviceable, with higher end ones having more precise force feedback, which is nice, but not super necessary. Pedals are where you see a huge difference for the money, with load cells instead of pentiometers. I upgraded from the G27 pedals (with a harder spring) to some Fanatecs and it's made my braking noticeably more consistent.

Anyway, I play sims a lot, and the Index has definitely been better than the CV1. Cleaner image, wider FOV, amazing speakers, very little screen door... it's superb. If you do flight sims, it's also much easier to read gauges. It's good poo poo.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

raditts posted:

I have a set of first-wave knuckles and mine do not drift. That doesn't actually *mean* anything but another anecdote to stick in your cap.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

KakerMix posted:

I have a set of first-wave knuckles and mine do not drift. That doesn't actually *mean* anything but another anecdote to stick in your cap.

Ditto. My first-wave sticks are perfectly fine.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lemming posted:

Yeah, either install it through SideQuest from here https://sidequestvr.com/#/

Or install the apk yourself manually from here https://github.com/guygodin/VirtualDesktop/releases

Thanks, that was painless through SideQuest! This works amazingly, finally got around to playing Boneworks and it's pretty fun though I haven't done any combat yet.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Shine posted:

Ditto. My first-wave sticks are perfectly fine.

Same here. Mine click in all directions and no drift. I VR probably 20 hours a week and got my index on launch.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

sigher posted:

The new version is a little different from old. You can launch the games from the games tab on the side.

Did you purchase through occulus and sideload the app from sidequest? (occulus store can't stream wirelessly from Steam.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KakerMix posted:

First-wave sticks came from Steam's factories in the US, the only dodgy thing there came from some of them having sticks not clicking in. Subsequent units came from a Chinese factory to ramp up production and those are the ones with drifty sticks (and why Coronavirus is now a factor in them not being available in sufficient quantities).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Shine posted:

They're both good poo poo in VR, though PCARS2 requires a beefy system, to the point that I have to scale it down until it looks like iRacing to get stable fps.

Both have sim (or at least sim-lite) physics and are best played with wheels, but I've heard that PCARS2 can be made serviceable on game pad with some tweaks. It won't control as well as Forza or Turismo, though.

I got PCars2 in a humble bundle at some point, so I tried to play it in VR and it was all weird and flickery and the overlays were in the wrong place. (I'm guessing that's not... normal?)

And that was before I started trying to race and getting frustrated to all hell by my car having the handling of a block of concrete. I suppose I could try digging out my old 360 wheel and pedals and giving it a try that way though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Project Cars uses a deferred renderer which don't scale in resolution pretty well and don't work with cheap, high quality anti-aliasing solutions like MSAA. So it kind of sucks for VR.

I generally prefer playing Assetto Corsa, despite the graphical downgrade and it's own VR implementation issues as you can supersample the hell out of it. Clarity makes a big difference.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Just clocking in to mention how great Pistol Whip is, I just picked it up and it's so fun! I had no idea I wanted to dance while shooting at bad guys in my life, but now that it's here, it's a revelation!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

raditts posted:

I got PCars2 in a humble bundle at some point, so I tried to play it in VR and it was all weird and flickery and the overlays were in the wrong place. (I'm guessing that's not... normal?)

And that was before I started trying to race and getting frustrated to all hell by my car having the handling of a block of concrete. I suppose I could try digging out my old 360 wheel and pedals and giving it a try that way though.

Overlays can be repositioned in some menu or another, but the flickering is not normal.

A wheel will probably help, but it could also be a technique issue. PCARS2 and such model traction limits of tires fairly realistically, so a big issue with gamepads is that it's harder to make fine inputs. If the car handled like poo poo, it was probably because you were braking or accelerating too hard while trying to corner, and the tires lacked the grip to do both well. This is easy to do with a trigger, as it makes it easy to "floor" the pedal, so the car won't turn well because you're putting most of its traction into accelerating or braking. A wheel/pedals mitigate this because even with cheap pedals, it's much easier to give fine input (let off the gas a bit, trail brake into a corner, etc.) versus a trigger. Blah blah tire physics are neat.

The other issue, technique-wise, could be driving the way you might in less realism-focused games, where you can brake and steer hard simultaneously and both will happen well. IRL that doesn't work because of the traction poo poo above, so in simmier games you have to focus more on braking before you corner, letting off the brake before (or "trailing off" the brake as you start) cornering, versus diving into the corner while braking hard.

Apologies if you already knew this stuff, but yeah, dig out the wheel :)

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

First-wave sticks came from Steam's factories in the US, the only dodgy thing there came from some of them having sticks not clicking in. Subsequent units came from a Chinese factory to ramp up production and those are the ones with drifty sticks (and why Coronavirus is now a factor in them not being available in sufficient quantities).

First wave controllers have drifty sticks even more so than second wave, and I don't think the manufacturing location changed. Pretty sure it was always China. The part they were manufacturing in the US, IIRC, is the lighthouses.

Based on the data we have available, the date when the click fix was made is approximately August 1st (+/- a week). FWIW, I got my Index in November, with controllers manufactured in early July/late June, which had non-clicky sticks. I eventually RMA'd them, and got a set manufactured in August, with fully clicky sticks.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Leal posted:

Give it a budget and I would be glad to profusely vomit all over my room from the motion sickness :getin: :respek: :barf:

there's a game somewhere on itch.io that does the grappling hooks thing, but to be fun to play it ends up being so fast you kinda just get disconnected and it's more like you're pulling the world around you instead of the other way around.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The second VR Spider-Man "experience" that was released mostly as a promotional piece is actually kind of cool once you turn off all the comfort stuff.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Shine posted:

PCARS2 and such model traction limits of tires fairly realistically, so a big issue with gamepads is that it's harder to make fine inputs. If the car handled like poo poo, it was probably because you were braking or accelerating too hard while trying to corner, and the tires lacked the grip to do both well. This is easy to do with a trigger, as it makes it easy to "floor" the pedal, so the car won't turn well because you're putting most of its traction into accelerating or braking. A wheel/pedals mitigate this because even with cheap pedals, it's much easier to give fine input (let off the gas a bit, trail brake into a corner, etc.) versus a trigger.

I think the force feedback of the wheel makes a huge amount of the difference. When you're racing with a gamepad you only get visual feedback and some rumble, but with a racing wheel I can literally feel which tires are losing traction and how much.

Once you get a good feel for the force feedback it's ridiculous how much more information it gives you.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV38rB3Mf6A

It's kind of crazy that they're making a game for the demographic of users with two or more Oculus Quest VR headsets who have easy access to large halls. I am the only person I know who is a part of this demographic, so as far as I can tell they're making this game for me specifically. Thanks.

Looks like it'll be a lot of fun though.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

It's kind of crazy that they're making a game for the demographic of users with two or more Oculus Quest VR headsets who have easy access to large halls. I am the only person I know who is a part of this demographic, so as far as I can tell they're making this game for me specifically. Thanks.

I guess they made the game to sell it to VRcades?

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Bad Munki posted:

Do you have an Nvidia card?
I have the same problem. This registry change fixes it, but I have to re-apply it every time I update my drivers

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

SCheeseman posted:

Guessing it's catered toward places where you can pay to play VR games by the hour. One of the ones near me had ads for some kinda warehouse scale zombie game.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Also if you have another friend with a Quest and someone to watch out and make sure bullies don't come up and trip you and are willing to look like a ridiculous rear end in a top hat it seems like something you could play at a public park.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

SCheeseman posted:

This is what I want.

I can't play it in the house, but we've got a pretty big enclosed back deck.

Throwing all the furniture off the back porch now.

Also, I think it's less about users who have two quests, and more about having friends that also have quests. My son has several friends that also have quests.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Index came in! :toot:

I then spent about five minutes in H3VR trying to figure out how to let go of a gun, before realizing that I had to physically let go of it.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Upgraded my system and it has been a night and day difference. Decide to play a game--fire it up and toss on the headset. No more shutting down every single thing running to try to eek out 60fps... 100+ FPS all the time. Now the only issue is my vision.

I wear my non-progressive lens in the headset and things look great and everything is readable. I'd like to stop wearing glasses inside the HMD and folks in the thread have mentioned a few places that make lenses. Oculus recommends FramesDirect. But saw a post about https://vr-lens.eu/ being the best (which appears to be https://vroptician.com/). And there seems to be several other vendors too like https://vr-lens-lab.com.

Is there one vendor that is considered the best? Anyone specifically to avoid? Thanks for any input.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The zenni glasses that everyone steals the lenses out of to put in 3D printed adapters actually work just fine in a CV1 without the adapter.

I wound up ditching the adapter and just wearing the zennis in my CV1

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

HycoCam posted:

I wear my non-progressive lens in the headset and things look great and everything is readable. I'd like to stop wearing glasses inside the HMD and folks in the thread have mentioned a few places that make lenses. Oculus recommends FramesDirect. But saw a post about https://vr-lens.eu/ being the best (which appears to be https://vroptician.com/). And there seems to be several other vendors too like https://vr-lens-lab.com.

Is there one vendor that is considered the best? Anyone specifically to avoid? Thanks for any input.

I don't have any personal experience (yet), but researched this last week and went with vroptician. My lenses are currently being manufactured. Here is one person's review of all 3 major vendors:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/7v63o1/my_review_of_the_vr_lens_lab_vrlenseu_and_widmovr/

Most of the other reviews I found were more or less in agreement. VROptician is the best, WIDMOvr is also good, VR Lens Lab is iffy.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I just started getting contacts again, so I don't have to wear glasses with the headset at all.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

VR Optician is superb. My wife has used lenses for both CV1 and Index and she said it's just as clear as wearing her glasses.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I wonder if it's necessary to give the headset a little disinfecting wipe before use. Probably not, right? Those things must have been in boxes for months.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Cleaning things is good.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Det_no posted:

I wonder if it's necessary to give the headset a little disinfecting wipe before use. Probably not, right? Those things must have been in boxes for months.

For all you, or any of us, know these Indexes weren't fully shipped until days before the outbreak. Also, consider these things have to travel across the country(ies) to reach you and will come in brief contact with numerous people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is there a way to group up with goons in poker or recroom or whatever?