Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I don't know all the ins and outs of it.
But if payrolls don't function, whether pensions or earnings, that's another load of people not going to be able to pay bills and in the financial poo poo. I'm just saying 'pensions' because that's what my friend does.

Well obviously that's most immediately important.

I may be wrong but I think OF was suggesting that most of these payroll things are automated and should technically only need input when someone's allowance changes, someone new needs to be put on the system, or someone dies and needs to be taken off? So it shouldn't have a massive impact day-to-day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1238240502505508867
hopefully they cancel everything, decision to be made tomorrow morning

FA have already said games this weekend will happen as normal, but there's no reason at all they can't reverse that decision right up to Saturday morning.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rockopolis posted:

Something that came up in a cybersecurity class this week was that they're worried about it being a security problem. Having to open up more holes in the network or more people taking the opportunity to clicking on phishing.msg or the people who deal with that being sick. I mean, what if someone took the opportunity to hack into the pension company and give pensions to everybody?

I'll take some of that pension if it's going spare.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ThomasPaine posted:

God drat all those old tories must be feeling betrayed right now, thoroughly betrayed. If only someone had warned them.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is an empty locked private room in the nearest hospital reserved for them, just in case.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Communist Thoughts posted:

its gonna be extremely cold comfort when bojo resigns after 1 year and 3 million dead

a bold assumption that he would be capable of shame to the point of recognising he needed to resign

Clement
Jun 30, 2007

I've met a working Yorkshire miner.
My university has said nothing so far about moving to online teaching, despite students being terrified and US students returning home at a steady stream. UCL, King's, LSE, and Durham have moved teaching to online: Exeter really should as well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

I may be wrong but I think OF was suggesting that most of these payroll things are automated and should technically only need input when someone's allowance changes, someone new needs to be put on the system, or someone dies and needs to be taken off? So it shouldn't have a massive impact day-to-day?

Or like, it's paperwork, as long as it's not literally paper work it should be exactly the kind of thing that can be done from home because they're just pushing imaginary money numbers around.

My payroll is all done electronically on my end, I don't know if jacob marley is on the other end writing it all down in a ledger and they need to get the necromancer to give him a kick every so often but I assume not.

happyhippy posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there is an empty locked private room in the nearest hospital reserved for them, just in case.

I actually was wondering what's the private hospital capacity of the UK like? All those bupa clinics would presumably be helpful for respiratory care? Be a real shame if someone expropriated them.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
somebody has to be physically there to shove the poor people into the generator powering the computer that generates british currency units

it's a traditional system upgraded for a modern age, we move with the times while still keeping faithful to tradition

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

happyhippy posted:

hopefully a little while before they're treating people in supply closets

Communist Thoughts posted:

its gonna be extremely cold comfort when bojo resigns after 1 year and 3 million dead

for some reason my dad is convinced that both 1) we won't be able to say if things would have been better or worse if the government had done X or y or Z, and 2) that there will be "electoral consequences" for bojo/trump if things go as badly as they look like they are

I really don't understand the first one, because we're about to have a bunch of natural experiments and if our outcome is orders of magnitude worse than similar countries then I think we will be able to conclusively say that the government's course of action was wrong

the second one, I don't hold out hope for the British public doing anything sensible any more but at least they're not full on cult of personality like the trump people. trump will never be blamed for anything by the trump supporters

also the expert's conclusion seems to be that it's a bunch of bizarre half measures

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/12/verdicts-of-experts-on-governments-new-coronavirus-measures

this bit in particular has been my feeling when my dad says that the medical officers' advice is evidence based

quote:

However, none of that is really going to affect transmission in the UK. I think at this point we are being perceived as lagging behind a lot of countries. And presumably other countries are basing their decisions on scientific information too.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1238240502505508867
hopefully they cancel everything, decision to be made tomorrow morning

This is going to play havoc with my Fantasy Football team

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

ThomasPaine posted:

Yes I got that. But I don't know the detailed ins and outs of pensions or payroll admin, what exactly is involved. Obviously enough for this particular company (which manages far more pension schemes than I ever suspected!) to be making a contingency plan.

Evidence-based CV actions by government chat:
reassuring everyone they've taken scientific advice. Funny how they took no notice of scientific advice that brexit will be a disaster!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 13, 2020

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
My brother did the payroll at his last company and didn't need to go in to the office at all except that timesheets were handwritten by the boss and left on his desk. It's all just software and an internet connection.

Most people's jobs don't require a physical office. Most don't even need to exist. Cutting everything back to essential services only is going to be an interesting experiment for a world that has always maintained that everyone needs to work for a living. Truth is we don't and haven't needed to for a long time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Which, I guess, is why they'd rather kill us in the millions that challenge that lie.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Given it looks like the economy could take a big hit from the ongoing crisis are there any banks that might be close to falling down like Northern Rock? Trump printing few trillion to keep the cash flowing in the market to nil effect has me abit jumpy. I have savings for possibly the first time in my life, and I'd hate for it to vanish into some bankers golden parachute after a collapse.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
if we lived in the good timeline the silver lining of this would be everyone realising what a loving fiction the economy is and deciding that maybe people don't need to be driving to do work they can do at home, or doing jobs that we somehow survived months without people doing, or we don't need to care about a number that goes down if we do things that might save actual human lives

because we live in the hell timeline, I think we're just going to have another lovely decade of stagnation once we get over the worst of the pandemic. at least there are no public services to cut now!

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

goddamnedtwisto posted:

FA have already said games this weekend will happen as normal, but there's no reason at all they can't reverse that decision right up to Saturday morning.

Most of Arsenals first team and staff are in isolation so the Brighton game seems pretty unlikely.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
By bosses are already considering allowing 2 days wrf per week going forward even after the pandemic blows over because we've got it set up and they already bought a bunch of laptops now so why not.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

JoylessJester posted:

Given it looks like the economy could take a big hit from the ongoing crisis are there any banks that might be close to falling down like Northern Rock? Trump printing few trillion to keep the cash flowing in the market to nil effect has me abit jumpy. I have savings for possibly the first time in my life, and I'd hate for it to vanish into some bankers golden parachute after a collapse.

All of them. Personally I'm expecting Deutsch or HSBC to lead the charge, but see if you can make anything of this: https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/-/m...C12901#page=105

Technically you're covered up to £85,000 per institution via the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (see: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/safe-savings/), for what that's worth when the entire banking system goes titsup. Personally I've got I've currently got Barclays, Santander, and my SIPP (which I moved to cash before christmas) as three different institutions with an £85k limit each.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
in other news sainsbury's has a range of swedish meatballs called smorgasbord (yes lol) and they are the best things I have ever eaten and you should get some.

e: Also if you're worried about savings getting killed by inflation buy gold. Not even kidding, you don't have to be talking insane amounts. I bought maybe 2.5k worth back when I had money and it's worth maybe just over 3k now. Better having that over fiat currency in this climate imho so long as you can store it safely. And just buying a commodity doesn't exactly have the same ethical issues that throwing your cash at shares in BAE or whatever does.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 13, 2020

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Angepain posted:

a bold assumption that he would be capable of shame to the point of recognising he needed to resign

it wont be shame lmao, its gonna not be very fun to be PM in a month or two and hard work

Greblin
Mar 12, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

in other news sainsbury's has a range of swedish meatballs called smorgasbord (yes lol) and they are the best things I have ever eaten and you should get some.

e: Also if you're worried about savings getting killed by inflation buy gold. Not even kidding, you don't have to be talking insane amounts. I bought maybe 2.5k worth back when I had money and it's worth maybe just over 3k now. Better having that over fiat currency in this climate imho so long as you can store it safely. And just buying a commodity doesn't exactly have the same ethical issues that throwing your cash at shares in BAE or whatever does.

Gold is tanking too though.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

You’d think a team infected with corona would be unbeatable, or at the very least they won’t be tackled , might struggle with running though

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

just put all the players in those zorb balls problem solved

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Play blitzball instead, everyone has to hold their breath anyway and you can chlorinate the water.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

fond memories of playing ffx and trying to hold my breath for the duration of a blitzball half, loving impossible nonsense, immersion destroyed

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wasteland 3 beta is out March 17, so there's a conveniently placed experience.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I couldn't really get into 2, though to be honest I have trouble with turn based strategy in general, I get kinda bored of it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
How long until this is unironically being played on TV?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T72TopWbXJg

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
one minor silver lining of being kept home with a UTI is that I've been able to get a head start on my self-isolation prep

I've moved the TV and ps4 to the foot of my bed to make what I'm calling "the fortress of solitude" (it's a batman reference)

think I'm going to finish rdr2 for the 3rd time but then I'm not sure whether to finally play prey, or start a character on Skyrim.

although I think my brother might have downloaded one of the final fantasy tens onto it at some point, which might be worth a go now that I'm transforming into an anime?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

ThomasPaine posted:

fond memories of playing ffx and trying to hold my breath for the duration of a blitzball half, loving impossible nonsense, immersion destroyed
Imagine living in a world where people can hold their breath for 90 minutes straight, the blowjobs must be incredible.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Guavanaut posted:

Wasteland 2 was awful though. Tons of extremely boring unskippable combat

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

RockyB posted:

All of them. Personally I'm expecting Deutsch or HSBC to lead the charge, but see if you can make anything of this: https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/-/m...C12901#page=105

Technically you're covered up to £85,000 per institution via the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (see: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/safe-savings/), for what that's worth when the entire banking system goes titsup. Personally I've got I've currently got Barclays, Santander, and my SIPP (which I moved to cash before christmas) as three different institutions with an £85k limit each.

This was incredibly helpful, thank you!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Failing that, Animal Crossing and Doom are both out on the 20th.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Every Lidl is now a Coronavirus House and coming within 2 miles of a Lidl will give you TurboCorona so don't do it stay indoors and this isn't a cunning deception I'm spinning in order to have a quiet day at work thank you

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Songbearer posted:

Every Lidl is now a Coronavirus House and coming within 2 miles of a Lidl will give you TurboCorona so don't do it stay indoors and this isn't a cunning deception I'm spinning in order to have a quiet day at work thank you
Worth it for the salted pretzels in their bakery section.

Or is that aldi i always get them mixed up, they're right next to each other where I live.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

ThomasPaine posted:

Ahahaha same, though I did it so much I legit started building up my holding breath ability.

OwlFancier posted:

Play blitzball instead, everyone has to hold their breath anyway and you can chlorinate the water.

The problem then is you end up getting Sahagin all up in your poo poo

bet the ronso smell awful after a game lmao

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

I didn't do that but I did try holding my breath during the underwater kissing scene, also impossible.

Blitzball level breath holding apparently needs practice, Yuna was training for it in Eternal Calm.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/LucyXIV/status/1238306271687630848?s=19

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Chelsea's Callum Hudson-Odoi is the first Premier League player to test positive

ShaneMacGowansTeeth fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Iancoll94354676/status/1238236936403390467?s=19