Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Unsinkabear posted:

Is there any practical benefit to me even finding out what that means? Is there anything I can do? :cripes:

No. Stay away from that thread. Like I said, I'm avoiding it now. Yes, I am an idiot who confuses "being informed" with "seeking the most catastrophizing news". At least the corona thread has practical advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I stood up to the Canadian government and embarrassed them on national TV. It was the right thing to do, but drat am I depressed over how upset people are at me about it and how much people are ostracizing me because of it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

AceOfFlames posted:

No. Stay away from that thread. Like I said, I'm avoiding it now. Yes, I am an idiot who confuses "being informed" with "seeking the most catastrophizing news". At least the corona thread has practical advice.

the corona thread is also relatively catastrophizing and ultimately I think it's bad for people with anxiety to closely follow news in general. even if CV is gonna get real bad it doesn't help to spend all day f5ing the thread and playing out scenarios in our heads. you can catch up on the essential news in about ten minutes.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

The coronavirus threads are also hard to follow because of how fast they move. A thousand posts in a few hours - are they practical advice or are they several pages of arguing about how graphs work? I will never be able to keep up.

Anyway, I think the government wants poor and obscure people to die, so now I'm not going to :colbert:

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Arivia posted:

I stood up to the Canadian government and embarrassed them on national TV. It was the right thing to do, but drat am I depressed over how upset people are at me about it and how much people are ostracizing me because of it.

I don't really know anything about this and I won't ask you to doxx yourself, but it seems to me you're a god drat hero

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I opened up to my wife this evening about the general dread, anxiety, and depression this virus has brought on, and get this, it really helped.

I've always been very tight lipped about the nihilistic side of me because I don't want to worry her. But I spoke honestly about my internal conflict between all the innocent people that are going to suffer vs. my feeling that we as a society absolutely deserve this.

We didn't solve all of the world's problems, but she let me know that she's here for me and I shouldn't be holding stuff like that in.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A Russian troll farm posted:

I don't really know anything about this and I won't ask you to doxx yourself, but it seems to me you're a god drat hero

Thanks.

But no, it's fine, I talk about it a bunch on here and I don't care. The Canadian government introduced a national conversion therapy ban bill on Monday, and I was in attendance as a survivor/advocate. The bill wasn't strong enough (especially for trans victims like myself), and I said as much during my allotted time to speak. Saying that the government isn't doing enough when you're on their turf and their national news platform does not make you a lot of friends, even if it's the right thing to do.

Arivia has issued a correction as of 07:18 on Mar 13, 2020

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I opened up to my wife this evening about the general dread, anxiety, and depression this virus has brought on, and get this, it really helped.

I've always been very tight lipped about the nihilistic side of me because I don't want to worry her. But I spoke honestly about my internal conflict between all the innocent people that are going to suffer vs. my feeling that we as a society absolutely deserve this.

We didn't solve all of the world's problems, but she let me know that she's here for me and I shouldn't be holding stuff like that in.

It's great that you have someone to be there for you. Meanwhile I have no one and it's driving me insane. Next therapist appointment is only on the 30th.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

It's great that you have someone to be there for you. Meanwhile I have no one and it's driving me insane. Next therapist appointment is only on the 30th.

Ooooofff. I'm sorry to hear that. I really struggle with long stretches like that between appointments. Trying to remember methods to keep myself positive and not spiralling down. Somehow the positive thoughts just don't take hold if it's been too long.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm experiencing an absolutely bizarre sensation where instead of the emotional numbness of depression and the constant cloud of non-specific fear that characterizes anxiety disorders, I'm really sad and angry about all kinds of things but the feelings are so clear, directed at real, identifiable things, and my sense of my own power -- very limited, but not helpless -- are somehow becoming an almost pleasant experience.

Like they're all very negative emotions but I'm experiencing them as validation and permission to exhale and get to work rather than as a crushing overload.

It's been so long since I've felt like this (maybe when I was a teenager? and that's not really the same) that I can't tell if this is a prelude to some kind of crash or if this is just what healthy emotional processing of negative experiences feels like.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The one thing that ever went right for me financially was getting out of the Vancouver real estate bubble at its peak. But I committed to a Melbourne condo right before the poo poo hit the fan, deposited $42k already, and just asked my lawyer if I can walk away (haven't signed the final contract.) Such a bummer, I love the building/neighbourhood, but getting financing was scary as a foreigner even before the virus poo poo.

I just want a stable, boring life. :(

My work is also having difficulties sourcing parts that we usually get from China but we should be okay. A lot better than I would have been at my hotel job back in Canada.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Arivia posted:

Thanks.

But no, it's fine, I talk about it a bunch on here and I don't care. The Canadian government introduced a national conversion therapy ban bill on Monday, and I was in attendance as a survivor/advocate. The bill wasn't strong enough (especially for trans victims like myself), and I said as much during my allotted time to speak. Saying that the government isn't doing enough when you're on their turf and their national news platform does not make you a lot of friends, even if it's the right thing to do.

you absolutely did the right thing and stood up for people who needed it. you probably have a lot more supporters than you realize.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

My wife and I are not terribly at risk and so not too worried about ourselves, financially it stinks but we'll be okay - so the main concern is just your everyday life disruptions, shortages, etc. Manageable. Here in Japan things are...cautiously calm and even optimistic, it feels sort of like we're "over the hump" for better or worse. The social distancing is making us stir-crazy, but that's hardly a crisis. BUT our parents are back in the US and obviously of the "not a good age group to be in" range, which is a heavy anxiety toll - especially as we watch the various reports of cases creeping closer to our home area. We're (supposed to be) here for at least a year yet, but if poo poo really hits the fan it's like...could we even get home? Even if we could, would that be the best course of action or would our presence make it worse/increase it? Beyond doing video calls every day or two, there's not much either side can do - and they naturally worry over us and we're trying to reassure and make them focus on taking care on their side. Bleh.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm experiencing an absolutely bizarre sensation where instead of the emotional numbness of depression and the constant cloud of non-specific fear that characterizes anxiety disorders, I'm really sad and angry about all kinds of things but the feelings are so clear, directed at real, identifiable things, and my sense of my own power -- very limited, but not helpless -- are somehow becoming an almost pleasant experience.

Like they're all very negative emotions but I'm experiencing them as validation and permission to exhale and get to work rather than as a crushing overload.

It's been so long since I've felt like this (maybe when I was a teenager? and that's not really the same) that I can't tell if this is a prelude to some kind of crash or if this is just what healthy emotional processing of negative experiences feels like.

Melancholia was a documentary?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

StashAugustine posted:

Melancholia was a documentary?

this is more manic than stoic

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

prom candy posted:

you absolutely did the right thing and stood up for people who needed it. you probably have a lot more supporters than you realize.

Thank you.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

My current worry is actually not being able to work - because the people who should be sending me work are caught up in the scads of meetings over handling this public health crisis. I just want to be able to squint at my excel spreadsheets and swear at contractors who can't enter information correctly.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Is my posting stuff coming out of Alameda County at all useful? Not helping? No one cares? Some of it is not public and I have to sift through that to make sure I'm not posting anything that will make people feel worse, when the situation is usually, "we're working on this and haven't finalized anything". There are a lot of conference calls and meetings going on.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Hi, all. I'm still only kinda sorta here, but xcheopis PM'd me some really good info and I'm caught in a bit of an Orestes situation here.

Basically, they sent me really good resources on Covid-420 or 69 or whatever the hell the number is—sorry to be flippant, I personally think the hysteria is the dumbest thing since yesterday's slightly less dumb thing—and it's for both specialized information for the homeless and containment protocol in general. Since coronamania is a huge trigger for a lot of people, I'm going to post the info behind a spoiler tag. I know this is like asking you not to think of purple elephants and you totally just did didn't you but regardless, skip the spoiler if it'll cause anxiety spikes. If it's that bad, you're probably not going to gain anything from this worth the cost.

HCH Deets on Covid-80085: https://www.achch.org/coronavirus.html
Public Health: http://www.acphd.org/2019-ncov.aspx

These are both for Alameda County, but I assume the info is relevant everywhere else. As always, I would prefer you guys have more knowledge than less, especially if you're currently without a home.

Thank you for your time and understanding, thanks to xcheopis for posting content, and I hope to be back shortly after Bernie dunks all over a senile old man one on one for 90 minutes. It may not win him the primaries but god dammit it'll be cathartic.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Unsinkabear posted:

Is there any practical benefit to me even finding out what that means? Is there anything I can do? :cripes:

If you haven't started reading the Doomsday Economics thread, I recommend you avoid it. I've been reading it for a long time, and only <crack> [PING!] lurks there.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

im_sorry posted:

If you haven't started reading the Doomsday Economics thread, I recommend you avoid it. I've been reading it for a long time, and only <crack> [PING!] lurks there.

This is true it's like staring into the abyss

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Alright, in that case let's stop talking about purple elephants. :ohdear:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

xcheopis posted:

Is my posting stuff coming out of Alameda County at all useful? Not helping? No one cares? Some of it is not public and I have to sift through that to make sure I'm not posting anything that will make people feel worse, when the situation is usually, "we're working on this and haven't finalized anything". There are a lot of conference calls and meetings going on.

I've always found it a bit strange considering this is a global forum and even if you're American you're unlikely to be in that county but you do you boo :justpost:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
partner is immunocompromised so every second of every day is sheer terror. anxiety means i'm expert at social distancing and i've been feeling really good about all of the steps i've been taking. (even though i'm a cook at a public restaurant) i absolutely cannot bring this thing home. cannot. so i take the time, i make the effort, i stay safe. knowing i'm doing what's best for both of us calms me even though i'm so scared all the time.

and then, while i'm at work, after she gets the IV treatment that causes her to be immunocompromised her boomer parents take her to a crowded grocery store to do panic shopping. i'm so furious that the anger collapsed on itself and now i'm just numb. i hate this, all of it, so much.

e: chaser: literally the night before this i waited until after midnight to stock up groceries for a few weeks

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

SHVPS4DETH posted:

partner is immunocompromised so every second of every day is sheer terror. anxiety means i'm expert at social distancing and i've been feeling really good about all of the steps i've been taking. (even though i'm a cook at a public restaurant) i absolutely cannot bring this thing home. cannot. so i take the time, i make the effort, i stay safe. knowing i'm doing what's best for both of us calms me even though i'm so scared all the time.

and then, while i'm at work, after she gets the IV treatment that causes her to be immunocompromised her boomer parents take her to a crowded grocery store to do panic shopping. i'm so furious that the anger collapsed on itself and now i'm just numb. i hate this, all of it, so much.

e: chaser: literally the night before this i waited until after midnight to stock up groceries for a few weeks

I wish I had more to offer than solidarity, but my partner is also immunocompromised and Ive been in panic mode for weeks now (thanks C-Spam). Despite that she hasnt been taking it seriously until the past couple of days. Panic shopping is done and Im just hoping for the best now. loving hell, man. :(

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

SHVPS4DETH posted:

I'm sorry your inlaws are garbage. That really, really sucks.

Panic Restaurant posted:

I wish I had more to offer than solidarity, but my partner is also immunocompromised and I’ve been in panic mode for weeks now (thanks C-Spam). Despite that she hasn’t been taking it seriously until the past couple of days. Panic shopping is done and I’m just hoping for the best now. loving hell, man. :(

I wish I had more to offer than this, but I'm crossing my fingers for you both. You've done everything you can, now it is time to stop reading C-Spam. I can't really keep up with that thread, but if I do see something you need to know I'll share it here.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
if you're already taking this thing very seriously I don't think there's anything to gain from reading the threads or checking the news constantly. if there's big important news you'll find out about it without reading 200 pages a day of eager prepper speculation.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Hey everyone, I wanted to share an episode of a podcast I really enjoy with you all. Some of the things but be a bit jargony but overall the ideas were very affirming and calming to me, maybe you'll feel the same way.

Episode 098 - Climate Change: How Can We Welcome Upsetting Truths? http://thisjungianlife.libsyn.com/episode-098-climate-change-how-can-we-welcome-upsetting-truths?tdest_id=659938

This episode is specifically about climate change but applies very well to our current situation. Normally at the end of every episode they do a dream interpretation which I really enjoy but this is one of the few times they skip it to give more information so if you like that sort of thing their other episodes have them and are generally very very interesting. Other topics they've gone over are negative father complexes, histrionic behaviors, and pessimism. I'd be curious to hear anyone else's thoughts on these as well :).

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

thehandtruck posted:

Hey everyone, I wanted to share an episode of a podcast I really enjoy with you all. Some of the things but be a bit jargony but overall the ideas were very affirming and calming to me, maybe you'll feel the same way.

Episode 098 - Climate Change: How Can We Welcome Upsetting Truths? http://thisjungianlife.libsyn.com/episode-098-climate-change-how-can-we-welcome-upsetting-truths?tdest_id=659938

This episode is specifically about climate change but applies very well to our current situation. Normally at the end of every episode they do a dream interpretation which I really enjoy but this is one of the few times they skip it to give more information so if you like that sort of thing their other episodes have them and are generally very very interesting. Other topics they've gone over are negative father complexes, histrionic behaviors, and pessimism. I'd be curious to hear anyone else's thoughts on these as well :).

Who wrote the summary

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

I personally think the hysteria is the dumbest thing since yesterday's slightly less dumb thing

I have no idea how you came to that conclusion but ok.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Jewel Repetition posted:

Who wrote the summary

I dunno probably one of the 3 of them? What am I missing?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Had to leave and am now missing a surprise birthday party for my mom and my brother because I didn't know it was going to be a surprise party with a bunch of people so I got way too surprised, on top of that my mom is 70 so I'm concerned about her becoming ill. I couldn't calm down so I left.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

I'm scared :(

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Unsinkabear posted:

I'm sorry your inlaws are garbage. That really, really sucks.

I wish I had more to offer than this, but I'm crossing my fingers for you both. You've done everything you can, now it is time to stop reading C-Spam. I can't really keep up with that thread, but if I do see something you need to know I'll share it here.

Thanks for this, sincerely. Im literally 10,000 new posts behind in the Coronavirus thread so Im going to delete the bookmark and try to forget about it for now.

I know that I would appreciate essential Coronavirus updates in this thread so I dont go looking elsewhere, behind spoiler tags if necessary. Hope thats appropriate and in the spirit of this thread.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

It's really starting to hit me that I've probably lost my $42k condo deposit even if I don't lose my job/life (asthmatic) and I am super sad about it. That was more than my annual wages for every year of my life.

I really wanted to live in that condo too. :(

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Working in bar and restaurants aren't working out for me mentally. But I'm not sure what else can at this point. All my other careers have fallen apart and now this one is too. My MS symptoms drive me loving nuts already but I'm constantly walking eggshells with a manager and another employee. On top of having just the worst drunk customers on the block. I get paid a dollar more than minimum wage but Im only allowed 30 hours a week at Max. Had one shift cut because I can't work with the other employee. There's two managers for 6 employees and it's like why, why? Why?! And one manager doesn't take tips, but the other does. I get called a kid by someone 2 years older than me, on top of poo poo like "stop loving talking, start cleaning!". I got 10 dollars in tips tonight when we brought in more than 200.

Just hateful spiteful people that makes others miserable on purpose.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Shifty Nipples posted:

I have no idea how you came to that conclusion but ok.

My secret is being dumber than the last slightly less dumb post

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Hey, now that the coronavirus quarantine is ramping up, does anyone have good resources on how to fight cabin fever? On the one hand, I want to be a good human being and minimize contact with others in case i have the virus. On the other hand, well, humans are social beings and I'd rather not flip my lid.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

cool dance moves posted:

Hey, now that the coronavirus quarantine is ramping up, does anyone have good resources on how to fight cabin fever? On the one hand, I want to be a good human being and minimize contact with others in case i have the virus. On the other hand, well, humans are social beings and I'd rather not flip my lid.

Reach out to people and talk, not just in the screaming into the void way of forums or facebook or whatever, but genuine conversations. Phone convos, texting, whatever. Play a game with someone. Spend time together, even if not in the same room.

Also go hiking, go to a park, whatever. It's likely more than enough spacing between people, and sunlight and fresh air is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

cool dance moves posted:

there's not a huge risk of contracting covid if you decide to go for a walk/hike/bike as long as you keep a reasonable distance from others.

if you have a happylight/are willing to buy one off amazon id sign off on that. it really does make a big difference for my mental health on cloudy days. i assume it would have a similar effect with self isolation

consider joining goon discord groups/organizing an online game night with your friends. tabletop simulator is cheap and does an excellent job of simulating the irl boardgame experience. that's my friend groups go-to

other than that id reccomend keeping yourself busy. maybe catch up on books you've been meaning to read or movies you want to watch.

if nothing else you can always clean your house, it works wonders for feeling productive.