Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The best part of Steam is how the little green notification indicating I received a message while offline takes weeks to clear from the Steam interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Triarii posted:

After the first one I went into this with low expectations, on the level of "walk through these pretty environments and look at all the nice trees they painted" but I keep being pleasantly surprised. Only issue is I wish I hadn't played in on normal difficulty because the game is really easy, and has absurdly generous checkpointing to the point where dying often means it reloads your save from literally 10 seconds ago, so nothing really feels like a threat.

What does Hard difficulty change?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Ori 2 is on game pass, so it's pretty low investment to try it out other than your time.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Triarii posted:

After the first one I went into this with low expectations, on the level of "walk through these pretty environments and look at all the nice trees they painted" but I keep being pleasantly surprised. Only issue is I wish I hadn't played in on normal difficulty because the game is really easy, and has absurdly generous checkpointing to the point where dying often means it reloads your save from literally 10 seconds ago, so nothing really feels like a threat.
It is fairly easy to die because so much of the game is so visually busy that it's quite easy to lose sight of what's going on around you, so I personally appreciate that part of it. Save points are somewhat few and far between and constantly having to corpse-run past entire obstacle courses over and over would have gotten old very, very fast.

Mzbundifund posted:

What does Hard difficulty change?
Damage inflicted and taken, nothing else.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I copypasted a macro from the Steam forums to see if that would work and it still wasn't fast enough.

I loving hate QTEs.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I bought The Surge 2 on sale because I have a bad habit of thinking that this soulslike game will be the one that finally clicks for me.

Finally that weird feeling was right. I’ve only played an hour but something about it feels really good to me. Maybe it has exactly the right jank levels or something.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Was hearing on GB that Ori 2 had some bugs/framerate issues, are those already fixed?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Mordja posted:

Was hearing on GB that Ori 2 had some bugs/framerate issues, are those already fixed?

I've had no framerate issues, but a few bugs - got stuck inside a wall one time, had one hard crash, and had one sidequest get fucky and look like it was broken, but I was able to fix it by repeating the previous step again.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mordja posted:

I haven't encountered a framerate issue but I definitely did have a respawn issue where it would respawn you in a place where there is supposed to be an item (Like a sprit light cache) and dump you there even if you had never been there before. I actually had it place me in an area behind a locked door. Fortunately there are backup saves you can use to get yourself out that situation.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I bought The Surge 2 on sale because I have a bad habit of thinking that this soulslike game will be the one that finally clicks for me.

Finally that weird feeling was right. I’ve only played an hour but something about it feels really good to me. Maybe it has exactly the right jank levels or something.

The Surge 2 is the only non-From Souls game I would call "Great". Like it's the only one I've played that stands entirely on its own, not just as a "souls clone for people who want more souls"

It has so many great systems and the combat just feels fantastic. It has better level design than even the actual Souls games (outside of DkS1) and I appreciate having a more directed narrative in a game like this that can still take the backseat. Can't wait for the DLC because the first Surge had excellent DLC

(haters come at me, I burned out on Souls before Bloodborne came out and despite having attempted to play it several times I just can't get into it, but Surge 2 sucked me right in and I enjoyed it to the end)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 13, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This is deeply unfair to Nioh, my personal favorite in the genre.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Stop talking about Soulslikes, I still need to finish DS1 first!!!!

Seriously though, I'm currently mulling over whether I want to keep pushing through the series (don't @ me about DS2), switch off to an alike to keep things similar but fresh, or move away from Soulslikes entirely to avoid getting burned out on the format.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

ok that's fair, Nioh was also great and I forgot about it, pretty excited for Nioh 2!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

deep dish peat moss posted:

(haters come at me, I burned out on Souls before Bloodborne came out and despite having attempted to play it several times I just can't get into it, but Surge 2 sucked me right in and I enjoyed it to the end)

Pretty much the same, though I was basically finished after Demons' and Dark Souls 1. I just have no interest in playing any more of the genre, but Surge 1 managed to grab me and I suspect 2 will if I feel like playing it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
nioh's biggest flaw was its repetition and i don't see nioh 2 fixing that, it's kind of baked into the game's structure

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That's actually kind of what I liked about it, but only in the late-game Abyss stuff. At that point it basically became Diablo, but with Souls Combat. I hated all the grinding through the same missions of several different difficulties just to get there part, though

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

deep dish peat moss posted:

That's actually kind of what I liked about it, but only in the late-game Abyss stuff. At that point it basically became Diablo, but with Souls Combat. I hated all the grinding through the same missions of several different difficulties just to get there part, though

Diablo-style loot is great in theory, but the itemization is by far the worst part of Nioh. There's no consistency in where you find what kind of stuff, and the differences are way too granular. It's a lot of comparing percentages between different bonuses.

That's the main thing I'm hoping they fix in the sequel. Well, that and fewer boring cave levels.

To be clear: otherwise? Absolutely my favorite souls-like, better than any actual From game except maybe Dark Souls 1. The combat is so loving good it makes up for a lot.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Ori 2 chat:

I haven't played Ori 1 in the longest time, but is Ori 2 really supposed to be this open/non-linear? After prologue, I literally can go to everywhere that I'm confused on where I'm supposed to go actually. I kinda remember Ori 1 to be a lot more linear than this, at least on the start.

Also, there are multiple stuff that you can do that the game just assumes you have prior knowledge on. Things like wall jumping, etc. Is there a movelist somewhere for me to get my bearings, or do I just have to skim through a LP of the 1st game or something?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

srulz posted:

Ori 2 chat:

I haven't played Ori 1 in the longest time, but is Ori 2 really supposed to be this open/non-linear? After prologue, I literally can go to everywhere that I'm confused on where I'm supposed to go actually. I kinda remember Ori 1 to be a lot more linear than this, at least on the start.

Also, there are multiple stuff that you can do that the game just assumes you have prior knowledge on. Things like wall jumping, etc. Is there a movelist somewhere for me to get my bearings, or do I just have to skim through a LP of the 1st game or something?

Ori 2 loads you up with half the first game's movelist in the first hour and it can get a little overwhelming, but it's not as open as it looks - go in the wrong direction and eventually you're going to run into purple water or a jump you can't manage without later skills

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ori 2 has Deepnest, except even more hostile than Hollow Knight's Deepnest. The Rayman influence is showing, with the exact mechanic that Rayman Origins used for deep underwater darkness, except not underwater. (mid-late game area spoiler)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I played Ori 1 well after release (the definitive edition) and it was opened up pretty quickly too. Like most metroidvanias.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Is there a competitive game that doesn't have a large community of grown men throwing tantrums? I've played Dota, HotS, League, Siege, Overwatch, and Apex, and the one thing all of these games have in common is that when things are going poorly, the overwhelmingly male population acts like the most entitled children. Is there not a chill competitive shooter?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Boba Pearl posted:

Is there a...that doesn't have a large community of grown men throwing tantrums?

I'm afraid not

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Is Ori 1 worth getting if I'm more concerned with a solid metroidvania than I am pretty gfx and setting? Its why I never got it, didn't quite trust the videos to be selling me more form than function.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Boba Pearl posted:

Is there a competitive game that doesn't have a large community of grown men throwing tantrums? I've played Dota, HotS, League, Siege, Overwatch, and Apex, and the one thing all of these games have in common is that when things are going poorly, the overwhelmingly male population acts like the most entitled children. Is there not a chill competitive shooter?
IME, that's part and parcel of the whole "competitive" aspect. It absolutely sucks and is a large part of why I've largely abandoned online gaming aside from occasionally and only with RL friends.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Serephina posted:

Is Ori 1 worth getting if I'm more concerned with a solid metroidvania than I am pretty gfx and setting? Its why I never got it, didn't quite trust the videos to be selling me more form than function.

It depends on what "solid metroidvania" means to you. I like Ori 1 but I can't say it has most of the elements people tend to call out in their favorite 'troids.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Serephina posted:

ori 1's nuts-and-bolts platforming is extremely good, but it's also hard to a degree you don't often see in metroidvanias. it fulfills the basic premise of poking around each map for hidden goodies but don't expect anything on the level of proper metroid titles in terms of exploration

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Boba Pearl posted:

You could try competitive games that don't have a large community at all?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Serephina posted:

Give it a miss, it's very linear, there's very little exploration and the combat is garbage.

Get Ori 1 if what you want is fluid platforming through gorgeous landscapes.

Skip to Ori 2 if you want a meaty metroidvania.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Commander Keene posted:

IME, that's part and parcel of the whole "competitive" aspect. It absolutely sucks and is a large part of why I've largely abandoned online gaming aside from occasionally and only with RL friends.

Way back in like 2010 I played a few matches of League of Legends with one of my irl best friends, someone who I had never seen be mean to anyone IRL, and in every single match we lost he broke down to the point of throwing slurs at our teammates and blaming them for his mistakes. Not only did I stop talking to him a few years later but I have refused to play a competitive online game ever since because gently caress that

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Boba Pearl posted:

All the fun ones are dead (Tribes, Quake).

Stay away from CS: GO, which is manbaby central and they all have mics.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

ori 1's nuts-and-bolts platforming is extremely good, but it's also hard to a degree you don't often see in metroidvanias. it fulfills the basic premise of poking around each map for hidden goodies but don't expect anything on the level of proper metroid titles in terms of exploration

Ori 1 is extremely not difficult because you can put plonk down a save point pretty much everywhere so you lose like 5 seconds of progress if you die. The only part that can get harder are the few escape sequences (and they are pretty easy if you aren't going for the collectables).

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Boba Pearl posted:

Not Steam, but Battlefield is (was) pretty good for this, at least if you have a couple of friends to play with. BF4 and BF1 hit the sweet spot where a 3-4 man squad could really make a difference in a game, but the 32-person teams mean that when you're losing badly, you can say "oh my god the rest of our team sucks" and actually have it be true instead of entitled whining. And then say "gently caress it," go jump into a plane, and crash it into an enemy sniper.

Unfortunately BFV sucks rear end, but from what I hear BF1 is still pretty active.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

Destiny is my current go to for this.

The majority of people ingame barely speak, and if they do it's usually positive. Most builds work and are fun. We just hit a PvP focused season. Most matches win or lose are just usually random people dicking around, and it's rare you even see teamstacks.

You can sweat it up and do Comp stuff solo, and hit end tier stuff if you are willing to put in the world/learn the guns.

They are introducing Trials, which is a 3v3 "hardcore" mode that runs Fri-Sun. The goon server is full of chill people who are planning on running it for fun every weekend.

It's the most laid back competitive scene I've ever seen.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mechwarrior online is actually p chill, surprisingly

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Serephina posted:

It's a good game but feels more like a platformer that happens to take place on one big map than it does a "metroidvania" -- there are optional pickups but they're mostly obviously signposted bonus challenges diverging from the main path. So far the second game is MUCH more in line with the exploration, branching areas, and the feeling of "oh poo poo I need to go back to that place I couldn't get to before" when you get a new ability that you'd expect from a metroidvania game. Skip to the second if that's what you're in it for -- it's really really good

goferchan fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Mar 13, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Commander Keene posted:

I agree, you are not going to find “chill” AND “competitive” unless you are playing with friends and your opponents have zero way to communicate with you (beyond sprays, emotes and the ancient art of teabagging). If you want chill you are better looking at PvE than PvP.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Any competitive multiplayer game can be chill if you just play with voice + party chat disabled and think of your teammates as slightly more advanced MeatSims.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Is Microsoft Store/Xbox Beta crap with game downloads for anyone else? It'll download for one minute before an error occurs (apparently losing connection to the server, but I have no issues with Steam or anything else). I've tried looking stuff up online (clearing the cache, resetting the apps) but it still is poo poo. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

srulz posted:

It might not seem that way if you just look at the map, but it's actually fairly linear. There's generally only one direction that you really can go, with maybe a short detour into another direction, but you'll be unable to continue fairly quickly. By and large, the game is fairly good about funnelling you where you need to go.