Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

smoobles posted:

Your immune system being strengthened by sobriety ain't gonna stop the Roni my friend, it is an alien virus created by a pangolin who hosed a bat, and no human body can cope with it.

You think I'ma give a gently caress sporting a mad buzz? Nahhh dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

interwhat posted:

You think I'ma give a gently caress sporting a mad buzz? Nahhh dog

I've told you multiple times to go screw yourself my man!!!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Xanderkish posted:

Unsure if our economy is more or less resilient to pandemic outbreaks than, say, around the time of the Spanish flu.

Pros are that more of our jobs are automated and can be done online, which allows for the option to WFH and avoid transmission. Cons are that we're more connected and it's easier for the supply chain to be disrupted because poo poo's going down in other countries, and everything's so much more interconnected that we might see a cascading effect.

Well right after the Spanish Flu it was the Roaring Twenties, so it's not like the pandemic of 100 years ago really hurt their economy all that much. The secret fact about economics is that killing people isn't all that bad for it. This explains the Republican party.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Someone shut off the lights and play xylophone on Lowtaxs spine before they die

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Play posted:

I think you're exaggerating quite a bit. The overall point is that the virus is felt acutely in the lungs and breathing patterns. The 10 seconds delineation is bullshit but noticing a decrease in your ability to breathe and hold in air is a decent indicator. That particular exercise is recommended for people who think they may have it but don't have other very noticeable symptoms. It's more likely to convince someone to get medical attention than convince them NOT to.

For someone who isn't able to get tested (IE the vast majority of americans right now) actually paying attention to your breathing could help identify the fact that you are ill before you would otherwise. If people take it as gospel and the only test that matters it's harmful, but used as part of a larger strategy it's just fine and could in fact help people.

People aren't fully getting that I'm not comparing that thing to good advice, I'm comparing it to how BAD the advice on one of those snopes-worthy mailers COULD be. Things people couldn't wait to point at and mock, like sunlight and the fact that the virus lives for different amounts of time on different surfaces, is actually correct which is funny

these people have got to be part of the strangest trend associated with this whole thing. this fixation on toilet paper is simply bizarre

There are cases who have tested positive that didn't experience any respiratory issues, just life-threatening fever and "I want to die" level chills and aches for a few days. So "check your lung capacity" is an unreliable test, at best, and will encourage people to not quarantine themselves for the recommended 2 weeks when they otherwise should, thereby causing harm

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

After you’re all dead I’ll rescue the something awful server from Richards basement and molest his corpse while I’m there.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Australian PM just announced mass gatherings over 500 people will be "advised against". But only from Monday.

This is of course entirely unrelated to a) the 10,000 person Hillsong conference happening over the weekend, and b) his footy team's game tomorrow. Christ.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

There should be a way just to intentionally expose oneself to the virus at this point. Like, let me pick a 2-3 week period to not work and be sick on my own terms instead of letting it be random.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/manyapan/status/1222117394212106240

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

so is there anything wrong with using denatured alcohol (like camp stove fuel) as a disinfectant? it's the same stuff, right?

naem
May 29, 2011

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Val should do a Corona sale to keep us all inside on new games.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
2019 = OK boomer

2020 = KO boomer

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Well at least Trump is bombing the middle east. That feels like home

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Is eating out at restaurants risky? Am I putting my trust in a dumb rear end in a top hat who doesn't wash his hands if I eat at my local Steak N Shake during the pandemic?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Also I traveled to Boston the weekend before last and my throat is mildly scratchy. I probably am one of the people who has it but only gets mild symptoms. I'm the problem.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Is there an ur-symptom for this virus? Everything I read keeps saying "may", but I'd think almost everyone develops a fever. Can you drown in your own lungs at 98.6?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

smoobles posted:

Is eating out at restaurants risky? Am I putting my trust in a dumb rear end in a top hat who doesn't wash his hands if I eat at my local Steak N Shake during the pandemic?

Probably yes.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

smoobles posted:

I'm 20 miles from the Hot Zone in WA and went to a place for lunch early in the week. I had someone coughing on the back of my head my entire meal. If you insist on eating out get it to-go.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

zer0spunk posted:

i'm calling it right now, covid19 is going to be this years hottest halloween costume

the god drat onion beat me to this

https://local.theonion.com/i-can-t-wait-to-dress-up-as-the-coronavirus-for-hallow-1842271965

i wonder when coronachan costumes will show up on aliexpress

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I've told you multiple times to go screw yourself my man!!!

oh poo poo lil swamp booger babe is getting FEISTY me rikey :grin:

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Rutibex posted:

Justinian Trudeau

:golfclap:

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Province of Quebec has joined the "ban all public gatherings" crowd banning any gathering beyond 250 people.
Theatres, festivals, libraries, Place des Arts, arenas, pools, conventions etc. are canceled.

If you know anything about Quebec you know we love our festivals. Literally if you can think of something we got a festival for it.
Well it's canceled.

Even the festival festival is canceled!:rant::arghfist:

e:
Husband of a friend is a radiologist and was sharing how someone had to get an X-ray a few days ago, some aspects suggested a risk of covid19 (turned out negative) but just the possibility put the entire floor of the hospital on full lockdown with hazmat suits running the whole X-ray operation.

News report on local news about people in clinics lying and trying to hide recent travels to high risk areas, those patients getting put in forced isolation until tests were done and conclusive.

My wife going to the local grocery store and finding the entire TP aisle empty bringing the whole point home quite quickly....

I'm just glad the country's prime minister's wife got the disease so it might be taken that much more seriously, as if that's gonna change anything... at least we're not under Trump.
Then again, odds are Trudeau just might apologize to the virus profusely. :(

Bronze Fonz fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 13, 2020

Truck Stop Stall
Jul 11, 2006

what are the odds that we lose the internet? will social media like reddit, facebook, instagram etc ever shut off?

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Truck Stop Stall posted:

what are the odds that we lose the internet? will social media like reddit, facebook, instagram etc ever shut off?

Low, I'd think. This is pretty much the internet's time to shine.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Jumpsuit posted:

Australian PM just announced mass gatherings over 500 people will be "advised against". But only from Monday.

This is of course entirely unrelated to a) the 10,000 person Hillsong conference happening over the weekend, and b) his footy team's game tomorrow. Christ.

The Hillsong conference is actually in July, probably right at the peak. The footy game tomorrow is entirely his reasoning though.

Truck Stop Stall
Jul 11, 2006

Old Boot posted:

Low, I'd think. This is pretty much the internet's time to shine.

you'd think (and hope). but netflix just shut one of its offices. https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2020-03-12/netflix-closes-la-building-due-to-coronavirus-exposure

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Now we can neither netflix nor chill

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

2019 = OK boomer

2020 = KO boomer

OK plumer

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Same thing happened when I flew into Seattle from Tokyo. And in Calgary all I saw was one sign on a post in the middle of a hallway part way from the gate to customs. None of this questioning and temperature taking so many other airports have allegedly been doing.

Alberta has also banned gatherings of more than 250. My workplace has done a hiring freeze, which is kind of a big deal because this is the time of year we hire the most people to deal with summer busy season, and if things keep getting worse I imagine they'll shut down for a while because it's a tourist destination and lots of elderly people bring their grandkids to visit.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jumpsuit posted:

Note also that he asked for non-essential gatherings of over 500 people to be suspended, whatever the gently caress "essential" means in this context.

He's also advised that churches with large congregations will probably need to add extra services to keep numbers under 500 because this government just can't stop going "Well technically we didn't break the rule so what we did was perfectly fine" with people's lives

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

sweet thursday posted:

Now we can neither netflix nor chill

My justification for still buying Blu-rays and having DVDs of old series I love! It finally paid off.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I've seen a lot of people buying unusually large amounts of paper towels and napkins, and I'm really hoping it doesn't gently caress up our sewer system.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Next 1-3 weeks gonna be wiiiiiild

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

2019 = OK boomer

2020 = KO boomer

Nice

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Lacrosse posted:

I'm 20 miles from the Hot Zone in WA and went to a place for lunch early in the week. I had someone coughing on the back of my head my entire meal. If you insist on eating out get it to-go.

Shoulda tipped

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
I’m just watching jim on repeat until the starving mobs descend, the virus takes me, or I deplete my stocks of cheesey broccoli rice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOH37W0jPpA

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

amusinginquiry posted:

I’m just watching jim on repeat until the starving mobs descend, the virus takes me, or I deplete my stocks of cheesey broccoli rice

What the hell am I watching? Did this come to us from space?

Truck Stop Stall
Jul 11, 2006

amusinginquiry posted:

vic berger is a treasure.

also: gah, just watching two old men shake hands in the beginning

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Captain Theron posted:

The Hillsong conference is actually in July, probably right at the peak. The footy game tomorrow is entirely his reasoning though.

https://hillsong.brushfire.com/colour-conference-2020/452342

CONFERENCE 2: 12th -14th March 2020 - AT CAPACITY at the Hillsong Convention Centre, Norwest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

Person on MSNBC being video interviewed right now apparently went through the whole process in 2 weeks. Did not experience any respiratory symptoms, just a huge fever, chills, aches, almost went to the ER. Tested positive for covid-19 in a Seattle research study that was nominally looking for influenza cases. She and all of her friends caught the illness at a house party. She happened to be tested in that research study but others who went to a doctor were not given a test because they weren't coughing

So that's a weird turn

Oh my god... I might have had corona in Manila last month and spread it the hotel, the mall, the airport, and back to the US.