Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Oh yeah, TIG's the best, melt any metal you want, hosed it up? Just go over it again! It makes for excellent science experiments too.

Mig is awesome when you want to just stick tons of metal together, and you can grind it out later.

Stick is a loving PITA to learn with no formal instruction though, holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

imo the best welder for a hobbyist to pick up is a small TIG/stick machine. AC if you can afford it.

use the TIG mode for light repairs or anything small and detailed, which is the majority of hobbyist work. yeah it takes some training but that's part of the fun of doing something as a hobby.

use the stick mode when you need to glob a bunch of metal onto a tractor frame or whatever

MIG is only really superior when you need extremely high throughput like on a production line. not really beneficial to a hobbyist and tig+stick is like 100 times more flexible

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I didn't expect to waltz into the Meme thread to find it orgasming over welding.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I solder stuff on occasion. That’s like computer toucher welding. Can I be in the club?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Kuros posted:

I didn't expect to waltz into the Meme thread to find it orgasming over welding.

Wait so you are saying you can’t make custom pipe brackets from bar stock, with a torch, vice, hammer, and stick wilder?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Not in any time zone that matters!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Kuros posted:

I'm looking for a new game to play with a welding mechanic. Last one I played was more using an arc cutter. Need one with flux but preferably not a German user base they take things too serious.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

this poo poo and all the related materials got me thinking 🤔

now that's praxis

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

OwlFancier posted:

It is incredibly strange to me that anyone who isn't terminally british would find keeping up appearances funny.

It's even weirder than mister bean.

I have a profoundly broken brain, what can I say. v:shobon:v

OwlFancier posted:

Axle-less cart wheel :v:

That sounds awful, like the show isn't... bad but it's slightly painful to watch. Maybe less so if you don't live it :v:

Now if you'd said allo allo or are you being served, then we're in business.

Well I'm glad we can agree on something. :hfive:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I'm looking for a new game to play with a welding mechanic. Last one I played was more using an arc cutter. Need one with flux but preferably not a German user base they take things too serious.

It took me three goes to figure out you were wanting a videogame to play that has a game mechanic centered around welding.

Rather than you want a game, to play, with a person who fixes machinery, who welds, who you had previously done something nefarious to involving an arc cutter.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 05:27 on Mar 13, 2020

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jiEQZpbWtY

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

OwlFancier posted:

It took me three goes to figure out you were wanting a videogame to play that has a game mechanic centered around welding.

Rather than you want a game, to play, with a person who fixes machinery, who welds, who you had previously done something nefarious to involving an arc cutter.

Exactly

Alternately, yes

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Code Jockey posted:

Well I'm glad we can agree on something. :hfive:

Are you being served is great if only for scandalizing old americans who don't get why missus slocombe (sound it out) is talking about her pussy.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

OwlFancier posted:

Are you being served is great if only for scandalizing old americans who don't get why missus slocombe (sound it out) is talking about her pussy.

lmao

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

If you're a hobby level welder, definitely get a TIG with a HF start. The only thing you'll need to change is the gas depending on what you're welding but to my extremely limited knowledge you could do most of the various metal options you're going to be working on with argon?

I am not a professional by any means though lol

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

TIG is 100% pure Argon, only thing you gotta worry about is having AC capability for Al. MIG (MAG)is the one that wants a different gas for each metal.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Me: But I want to watch Are You Being Served!

My mom: We have Are You Being Served at home.

Are You Being Served at home:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

McSpergin posted:

If you're a hobby level welder, definitely get a TIG with a HF start. The only thing you'll need to change is the gas depending on what you're welding but to my extremely limited knowledge you could do most of the various metal options you're going to be working on with argon?

I am not a professional by any means though lol

nah just get an AC machine with plain argon and lanthanum electrodes and you'll be set for basically everything except, like, exotic aerospace alloys or nuclear reactor fuel rods or whatnot. you can even do brazing with it and if you get a stick holder you can do carbon arc gouging. tig is the best

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

except, like, exotic aerospace alloys or nuclear reactor fuel rods or whatnot. you can even do brazing with it and if you get a stick holder you can do carbon arc gouging. tig is the best

Nah, Zirconium and its alloys are pretty easy to weld, mostly done by machine these days though, I think.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

freeedr posted:

Nurse memes annoy me because nurses already pat themselves on the back way too hard and call themselves super heroes and poo poo. Not all nurses, obviously, but that 25% that share a constant stream of “only nurses will get this” self congratulatory poo poo on Facebook are the most noticeable even if the minority.

Then again, complaining about it is just asking for someone to drop 500 of them

A lot of nurses are incompetent but a lot aren't. Nurses also clean up a lot of piss and poo poo and puke, as well as doing 99% of the most mundane work in the health industry (Talking as an outsider that has had an inane level of hospital visits).

Also the only person I've ever met who was able to take a lot of blood (8 vials iirc) in a fraction of the time a trained phlebotomist filled a single vial, while also making sure the needle didn't move around in my loving vein, all while having an extremely good bedside manner, was a nurse.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nurses make our medical system work.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Can I kindly request you all to not post pictures of people shaking hands anymore, in order to try and stop the spread of the virus?

Thanks.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Ah yes nurses, how i hate them so

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

There's some welding in the latter parts of Car Mechanic Simulator 2018. I have zero interest in cars but still found it to be an incredibly relaxing experience even if it's very simplistic. Also has a ton of cool cars you can easily mod in. Wanna fix up the 89 Batmobile? Well go right ahead.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Trabant posted:

Me: But I want to watch Are You Being Served!

My mom: We have Are You Being Served at home.

Are You Being Served at home:

What the gently caress am I looking at?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

What the gently caress am I looking at?

A 2016 TV movie based on a very popular 1970s TV show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XjsJ2A2DME

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
2016? Jesus, that show was outdated when they tried to do a sequel in the 90s, I can't imagine how flat that would fall in 2016.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

OwlFancier posted:

I never caught that entendre!

... but I also didn't know they tried to reboot it. The meme thread giveth and taketh.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Can I kindly request you all to not post pictures of people shaking hands anymore, in order to try and stop the spread of the virus?

Thanks.

:lol:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Empty Sandwich posted:

I never caught that entendre!

I'm not convinced it's real

Mr Hump frees

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

alexandriao posted:

Also the only person I've ever met who was able to take a lot of blood (8 vials iirc) in a fraction of the time a trained phlebotomist filled a single vial, while also making sure the needle didn't move around in my loving vein, all while having an extremely good bedside manner, was a nurse.

This, exactly. When I was hospitalized with an infection, they would always seem to dispatch a doddering old phlebotomist at 4:30 in the morning to draw blood. She was either not fully awake, or shaking from too much caffeine and would end up getting more of my blood on the bedsheet than in the vial. She did this to me twice before I pleaded with the night nurse to please pull the blood from my IV (phlebotomists can't do that). From that point on the nurse pulled my blood every time, and it was smooth as silk. On discharge, I bought the desk veggie trays, and gave each nurse on night shift that handled my blood a $25 gift card.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Does at least explain why something I made for a thread in GBS was more widely understood than I was expecting.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pee cock

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

For the record, I am a nurse. I’m the one they call for hard sticks, angry patients, etc too

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
IME, there's like 4 types of nurses:

Young and naive as hell: doesn't mind cleaning up poo poo and thinks DoTerra oil diffusers are effective medical treatments
Young and hard: the no-nonsense smart ones that are gunning for RN straight out or heading for NP.
Old and tired: call me to change batteries in their thermometers. Thinks DoTerra oil diffusers are effective medical treatments
Danny Glover "I'm gettin too old for this poo poo" types: pulls out NG tubes like they're pull-starting a lawnmower, knows everything and leaves me alone.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

robotsinmyhead posted:

Danny Glover "I'm gettin too old for this poo poo" types: pulls out NG tubes like they're pull-starting a lawnmower, knows everything and leaves me alone.

My dad had his appendix removed in the old days and this was basically how they removed the post surgery drainage tube

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

robotsinmyhead posted:

Most of the nurses I worked with are like this. Back when I worked security I had someone whip out a razor blade and try to cut the doctor, and in the five or so seconds it took me to grab them and bring them down, the nurse already had a sedative syringe in their butt.

Thankfully none of the nurses I work with are the MLM kind, and also thank gently caress I'm out of security because minimum wage to get punched in the face by people loving sucked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Danaru posted:

Most of the nurses I worked with are like this. Back when I worked security I had someone whip out a razor blade and try to cut the doctor, and in the five or so seconds it took me to grab them and bring them down, the nurse already had a sedative syringe in their butt.

How did sedating the nurse's butt help :confused:

Oh sorry I read that wrong; how did hiding a sedative syringe in a nurse's butt help?