Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I am also pretty sure that the writers MUST be watching this thread and/or listening to Sex Archie (I forget the posters name that does it with his wife but guys I listen every week).

Sex Archie is the podcast that got me to watch the show (I listened to all of it while at work before S3 and realized I had to witness this charming mess myself), I’m happy it’s got listeners here. There are like four or five Riverdale podcasts, but it’s my favorite.

I’ve been seeing people complaining about the Charles and Chic thing seemingly being “forgotten” by the writers for a few weeks, and while I’m not going to pretend this show is particularly carefully written, I think it’s probably being saved for the end of the season. Assuming this season is 22 episodes and the Stonewall storyline is getting resolved in the next two or three episodes (which certainly seems to be implied), there will still be four or five episodes to fill. My best bet is they’re linked to the tapes, so both of those things will close the season. The Sex Archie theory that Chic and Evelyn are communicating in prison seems about right, too.

What do we think Donna’s secret is? Knowing this show she’s someone’s family member, but it’ll probably be too absurd for anybody to have guessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

cropoval posted:

What do we think Donna’s secret is? Knowing this show she’s someone’s family member, but it’ll probably be too absurd for anybody to have guessed.

edgar's other daughter wife

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

She’s the gargoyle king

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Cheryl: Betty, I know how badly grief can affect people. After my brother died I tried to kill myself, and I'm legitimately afraid you might do the same thing so I'm going to offer you my unconditional support whether you want it or not (sees Betty kissing Archie) Welp, guess I better record this and send it to the entire town.

Cheryl you piece of poo poo, I love you.

cropoval posted:

Sex Archie is the podcast that got me to watch the show (I listened to all of it while at work before S3 and realized I had to witness this charming mess myself), I’m happy it’s got listeners here. There are like four or five Riverdale podcasts, but it’s my favorite.

Nice, I also like that podcast!

Roach Warehouse posted:

She’s the gargoyle king

I honestly can't remember, did we ever find out definitively who the gargoyle king was? I wanna say it was Penelope, but so much has happened since then that I'm not totally sure.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 7, 2020

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.
My Donna theory: She is Souphead!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I am also pretty sure that the writers MUST be watching this thread and/or listening to Sex Archie (I forget the posters name that does it with his wife but guys I listen every week).

General Ironicus.

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I honestly can't remember, did we ever find out definitively who the gargoyle king was? I wanna say it was Penelope, but so much has happened since then that I'm not totally sure.

It was Penelope, yeah, but as the mastermind, with Chic using the suit. And Hal involved for...reasons I forget.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

cropoval posted:

It was Penelope, yeah, but as the mastermind, with Chic using the suit. And Hal involved for...reasons I forget.

They were bangin'. Hal was an accessory to murder in both senses.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

edgar's other daughter wife

I'm 100% convinced. Same with my partner. The only other thing that would blow it open is if she's like... Mr.Chipping's younger cousin or something?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Last episode just shamed its fans for wanting Barchie and then revealed they have lingering feelings for each other :negative:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Shneak posted:

Last episode just shamed its fans for wanting Barchie and then revealed they have lingering feelings for each other :negative:

say less

time to catch up to riverdale

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I'm torn on how to feel about what happened to Brett: on the one hand I'm very against police brutality, on the other hand I'm also very against rich assholes who try to buy their way out of getting punished for the crimes they've blatantly and unapologetically committed, maybe I'll allow it just this once.

The Hedwig episode is next week, and I know I'm probably in the minority on this this but I'm actually pretty excited about it. I don't care how terrible the cover of it is, Origin of Love is going to make me feel things because it always makes me feel things.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

on the one hand I'm very against police brutality

FP’s not a cop anymore. He quit at Jughead’s funeral.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Phylodox posted:

FP’s not a cop anymore. He quit at Jughead’s funeral.

Oh right! I forgot about that! In that case there was nothing problematic about Brett's beating what so ever (seriously, gently caress that dude).

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Hedwig is maybe the only thing that could make me like a musical episode

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I keep wondering how they will keep the show going once they graduate.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

joebuddah posted:

It's rumored they'll do a time-skip for next season, in which case it's most likely they'll just skip over the college years.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Katy Keane takes place 5 years in the future compared to Riverdale I believe, so a time skip would make sense.

Oh god, Archie is going get stuck on Lian Yu and come back as a brooding vigilante, isn't he?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Archie is going to spend the time skip doing nothing but fighting thousands upon thousands of bears.

Veronica will start twelve more businesses and have 8 more half sisters she's competing with for her evil father's love (Hiram is a cyborg now).

Betty finally snaps and kills her mother, but everyone is real cool about it because Alice sucked so she doesn't go to jail and just has to pay a 3 dollar fine.

Cheryl and Toni are married and running an all female mafia together. Jason has returned from the grave as a zombie, Nana Rose is also a Zombie.

Jughead gets a new hat.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Betty's mother is never going to die. Ackerman is just too good at nailing this show's tone while also being classy.

See: literally no one else, except Betty.

Actually Cheryl's Mom rules too.

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

Look, the only thing I'm sure will happen if a timeskip occurs is that the show will still ignore Jason and Polly's twins.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

cropoval posted:

Look, the only thing I'm sure will happen if a timeskip occurs is that the show will still ignore Jason and Polly's twins.

They'll come back as evil demonic murdering 5 year olds.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

joebuddah posted:

Veronica got deferred, Betty got rejected from Yale, and I guess Jughead's fake death counts him out too. They're staying trapped in Riverdale with Archie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shneak posted:

Veronica got deferred, Betty got rejected from Yale, and I guess Jughead's fake death counts him out too. They're staying trapped in Riverdale with Archie.

I always feel bad for high school characters in TV shows that end up lasting long enough for them to graduate, because there's years of the characters being excited about college and then something has to happen where they can't go.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I was genuinely surprised to see the characters on the Vampire Diaries go to college. Of course, they immediately starting murdering people at college and doing cult things so, still very CW.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Malpais Legate posted:

I was genuinely surprised to see the characters on the Vampire Diaries go to college. Of course, they immediately starting murdering people at college and doing cult things so, still very CW.

Did they all go to the same college like on Buffy?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
So wait, did they just unceremoniously kill the black kid off camera? Like they breezed by that last episode and now they're trying to pin Jughead's attempted murder on the remaining prep school brats while they actually killed somebody. They wrap everything else up and are like "that's it, solved the case!".

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Rhyno posted:

Did they all go to the same college like on Buffy?

I think three of them did and it was a college in the town right next door so half the episodes are them driving back and forth from Vampire Town to Vampire College Town to deal with whatever murderous conspiracy is going on.

I don't think the college subplot lasted longer than a season, but I gave up on the show when I found Riverdale was twice the insanity and none of the vampires.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Wasn't there a sub-plot at some point where Charles and Chick were planning something? I vaguely remember a scene of that but it was never brought up again (even though I thought Charles was leaning hard into making Betty into a serial killer).

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Yeah my guesses were all wrong, when I thought this mystery would run until the end of the season I started to think maybe Charles was a Quill and Skull alum and it was all his plan (how did they find out about the trigger word?) to make Betty go full serial killer.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Vulture asked a bunch of writers from TV series to pitch a coronavirus episode and RAS did one for Riverdale. What he wrote is mostly indistinguishable from fan discourse about the show.

quote:

The great thing about Riverdale is that the town exists in a perpetual state of crisis. Indeed, Riverdale has been both in lockdown and quarantine mode before — but that was to combat a mysterious disease that was making all of the cheerleaders have violent seizures. (Turned out it was a by-product of Hiram Lodge’s drug-production operation — polluted river water.) If the coronavirus hit Riverdale, the kids would be in deep trouble, as they cannot keep their hands off each other and social distancing is definitely not their forte. But they are resourceful.

First, there’s the fully self-sustaining bunker Dilton Doiley built. The kids have been using it primarily as a sex-bunker for their trysts, but a good 12 people could hole up there with no problem. There’s electricity, food, water, and — presumably — plumbing.

Another place folks could hunker down is Pop’s Chock-lit Shoppe. When the town was rioting (again, thanks to Hiram), a group of citizens made their last stand at the diner. Most important, there’s a seemingly endless supply of milkshakes and burgers and onion rings to be had at Pop’s — and we know it does takeout and delivery.

And if the corona-crisis threatens to last beyond the end of their senior year? Knowing the kids, they’d probably hold prom despite the risk, secretly if necessary — I mean, there’s no way Cheryl Blossom is not being crowned prom queen this year. As for graduation, let’s get real. Given how little time any of these teenagers have spent in classes, would any of them actually be eligible for graduation? Well, maybe Kevin Keller. —Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Well shoot, I just didn't like this episode. I thought I would enjoy it because I'm such a huge fan of Hedwig and the Angry Inch, but being so familiar with the original songs made the covers feel super jarring. They were edited in such strange ways. Keep in mind I'm normally an apologist for the song covers in Riverdale and I liked the other musical episodes.

I do appreciate that they continued the tradition of every musical episode having a huge creepy plot twist in like the last 30 seconds of the show, but other than that this one wasn't much fun for me.

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

I felt pretty sour for the most part on this episode too. I'm not bothered by the romantic drama or anything, but every beat of the episode went the way I expected it to until that last minute.

But that last minute ruled and was one of the few legit creepy things this show has done, so it does excite me for the last few episodes, in...whatever form we get them.

cropoval fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 16, 2020

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
That was cute, I guess. My least favourite musical episode even though Casey Cott killed it.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

I liked the creepy role-play in the woods at the end. Was it a genuine snuff film, or just larp though?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That was definitely the worst musical episode and between this and Katy Keene why do the Archie Cinematic Universe runners have to insist on dragging up every gay dude (even if this is just one time for Hedwig)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shneak posted:

That was cute, I guess. My least favourite musical episode even though Casey Cott killed it.

I didn't know that was the actor's name until just now, and how on earth does the guy playing Kevin Keller have an even more comic book name in real life?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Eej posted:

That was definitely the worst musical episode and between this and Katy Keene why do the Archie Cinematic Universe runners have to insist on dragging up every gay dude (even if this is just one time for Hedwig)

I think it's because the show runners are older and drag performances used to be about the only representation of gay people that wasn't about being disowned by your family and/or dieing of AIDS.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Always gna be disappointed they turned Kevin into the typical gay best friend instead of keeping his comic storyline and doing something different for once with a gay character in a teen drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

esperterra posted:

Always gna be disappointed they turned Kevin into the typical gay best friend instead of keeping his comic storyline and doing something different for once with a gay character in a teen drama.

I can't believe they had a teenager in the 2010s doing the "anonymous sex with strangers in the woods" thing, like he was a middle aged dude in the 70s.