Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The choice of heavy cav and weak infantry vs light skirmish cav and strong infantry is always a fun choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
unit mismatches and firepower are more important than maneuvers in vanilla. so is abusing ai tendencies

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
3K Total War got a new patch mixing up bandit gameplay, but also had this:

quote:

"Mercenary Treaties

Mercenary treaties are a new type of treaty available for Lü Bu and bandit factions only, that allow you to become mercenaries for other factions (excluding vassals).

As a mercenary, you can be hired by any faction you’re not at war with (excluding non-vassals.)

When playing as Lü Bu or another member of the bandit faction, the AI will ask you to help them in one of their wars in exchange for payment. You also have the option of offering your services to the AI

The mercenary treaty lasts 20 turns, and if the mercenary requests regular payments these regular payments lasts for 20 turns instead of the usual 10 turns

The mercenary will be granted shared vision with their employer, military access to their territory, and the ability to replenish on their lands for the duration of the agreement

Once the treaty has been accepted, the mercenary receives a mission to attack the targeted faction and a progress bar appears at the top of the screen. The progress bar shows the mercenary’s Fame and Fortune, and tracks how much fame and fortune the mercenary has earned

Fame and fortune is earned by fighting against the target or gifting their settlements to the mercenary employer"

and so on. Man, these would be extremely cool for Southern Realms/Ogre Kingdoms/mercenary companies in Warhammer...

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
What's the deal with reikland? As soon as I beat them and reduce them to one province and march to destroy them they Confederate another random faction and they're alive again

This has happened FIVE times

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Those bandit treaties sound extremely like a beta test for Ogre Kingdoms.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Jarvisi posted:

What's the deal with reikland? As soon as I beat them and reduce them to one province and march to destroy them they Confederate another random faction and they're alive again

major factions have a habit of doing this. it's wwhy you need to perform the abortion as chaos.

see also: hearts of iron 4

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

those three kingdom bandit changes could make for some fun in game 3.

In general, when the bandits do good, they do bad. And when they do bad, they do good.

Positive public order gives bonuses to population growth but reduces replenishment and increases recruitment costs

Negative public order reduces population growth but reduces recruitment costs and increases replenishment

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I mean look at this and think ogres.

quote:

LOOTING AND SHARE THE SPOILS
Loot is the bandit replacement for Supplies

It is gained when armies are in enemy territory, and slowly lost in friendly territory
Bandits are immune to effects such as faction support and terrain penalties towards supplies
Bandits gain Raiding Stance and Share the Spoils stance to help manage Loot
Raiding stance generates Loot for the army, depletes reserves, and decreases public order when in enemy territory
Share the Spoils Stance rapidly depletes Loot for the army but increases local province income from Banditry, food gained from Banditry, settlement reserves, and boosts unit replenishment
Bandit forces will receive different effects depending on the amount of Loot they are currently carrying

A force with nearly full Loot will grow sluggish and undermotivated, losing movement range
A force with no Loot will suffer attrition as warriors look for a more lucrative master – but those who remain will be particularly desperate and dangerous, gaining increased campaign movement range and combat stats

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

why do they keep misspelling "food" as "loot"

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
That's the British spelling

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

New SFO update has a bunch of wood elf poo poo that I don't own, but the best part is that war wagons now have three shots of "munitions" which regens ammo for all nearby units. Absolutely wonderful addition if you want to run an artillery train :v:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

New SFO update has a bunch of wood elf poo poo that I don't own, but the best part is that war wagons now have three shots of "munitions" which regens ammo for all nearby units. Absolutely wonderful addition if you want to run an artillery train :v:

oh man restarting my golden order campaign in sfo. this is gonna be fun

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not a huge amount of ammo but if you use all the charges it'd probably refill a unit. And it's an area effect too, albeit small. So if you have like three cannons and a war wagon mortar you can keep firing about six cannons worth of rounds at things. Really good for sieges I think.

Also apparently the AI won't build walls on all its settlements any more.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

It's not a huge amount of ammo but if you use all the charges it'd probably refill a unit. And it's an area effect too, albeit small. So if you have like three cannons and a war wagon mortar you can keep firing about six cannons worth of rounds at things. Really good for sieges I think.

Also apparently the AI won't build walls on all its settlements any more.

does it not replenish handgunners/grenadiers/luminarks etc? because handgunners are basically the empires mvp, even just doubling their ammo capacity is insane

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

You... you've got this, right-yes, Mika? :ohdear:

This, of course, comes out of the fog of war a turn after I reject-deny a peace offer from Kroq-Gar.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 14, 2020

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Yeah, every once in awhile you get a peace treaty, where you (almost automatically) say no like always, and it's apparent that they decided on an act of mercy, cause as soon as you say no, two armies just come out of nowhere and take a settlement or gang up on an army.
It's kind of odd behaviour, you'd figure AI would mostly go for peace when they were in a position of weakness, not about to destroy you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ammanas posted:

does it not replenish handgunners/grenadiers/luminarks etc? because handgunners are basically the empires mvp, even just doubling their ammo capacity is insane

Oh yeah it replens all ammo using units, artillery, guns, archers, I just very rarely run out of ammo outside of siege battles and then I want artillery rounds.

For other battles I almost always either kill everything or die before I run out of ammo.

It also does have a cooldown between uses so you can't dump all the ammo at once so it's definitely a prolonged engagement thing.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 14, 2020

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Ardent Communist posted:

Yeah, every once in awhile you get a peace treaty, where you (almost automatically) say no like always, and it's apparent that they decided on an act of mercy, cause as soon as you say no, two armies just come out of nowhere and take a settlement or gang up on an army.
It's kind of odd behaviour, you'd figure AI would mostly go for peace when they were in a position of weakness, not about to destroy you.

A tag to describe that they might say things like that would solve that. "Merciful" or something.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I like it being unpredictable. Adds a little tension

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

You... you've got this, right-yes, Mika? :ohdear:

This, of course, comes out of the fog of war a turn after I reject-deny a peace offer from Kroq-Gar.

Honestly if you attack first and that army has buffed its ambush chances or you grabbed lighting strike, you can kill off those front 2 with very little to zero losses. Then you just need to gimmick gun-line that next battle, which should be pretty doable if those armies like aren’t entirely terradons and chameleon skinks who limit your firing line options.

I had the same thing happen with a 57 province Malekith in my legendary Vortex campaign and it turns out Skaven’s ability to ambush armies on the regular offensive click is broken as gently caress when used aggressively and you get lords who who can get like >70% passive ambush chance.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 14, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Absolutely stack the poo poo out of ambush chance on skaven because yes, being able to start on top of your enemy and just eat them with a tide of angry rats and bullets is great, and very on brand.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

yikes! posted:

Yeah, I don't hate it. Keeps you on your toes, makes it so you occasionally think "should I just peace em" instead of taking on all comers. Actually, I find limiting your opponents at a time to be a huge benefit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have no idea why but apparently vlad decided to go on holiday and has spent the entire game chilling out in the badlands?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

OwlFancier posted:

I have no idea why but apparently vlad decided to go on holiday and has spent the entire game chilling out in the badlands?

He misheard the name and decided the Vladlands needed his guidance obviously.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

OwlFancier posted:

When the last dlc dropped he was constantly making a run for the desert every single time which made it really easy for Repanse to get his trait because he'd wander right by her with an army crippled by attrition. Dude just can't sit still.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I genuinely think he might just have decided that manny is a dickhead so he's going for a holiday somewhere warm and orky with isabella.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Trying out Sartosa ME. There’s a lot of different options but once again I find myself attack Ulthuan.

Smug loving elves.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Trying out Sartosa ME. There’s a lot of different options but once again I find myself attack Ulthuan.

Smug loving elves.

if you want to accomplish your victory conditions you have to drop everything at the start and go after norsca

otherwise they confederate and ugh.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mazz posted:

Honestly if you attack first and that army has buffed its ambush chances or you grabbed lighting strike, you can kill off those front 2 with very little to zero losses. Then you just need to gimmick gun-line that next battle, which should be pretty doable if those armies like aren’t entirely terradons and chameleon skinks who limit your firing line options.

I had the same thing happen with a 57 province Malekith in my legendary Vortex campaign and it turns out Skaven’s ability to ambush armies on the regular offensive click is broken as gently caress when used aggressively and you get lords who who can get like >70% passive ambush chance.
This is what I did because I remembered that Mika has the +25% Ambush trait and beat up Skarsnik. He ambushed the first two armies like you pointed out and he murdered them with zero casualties. Then I parked him on a river crossing; Kroq-Gar came calling and lost the rest of those armies. Zero casualties.

Ardent Communist posted:

Yeah I think its really neat that the AI did it. Added some excitement (see above, lol) to a game that is getting pretty tedious at this point. Also because

yikes! posted:

Lord_Magmar posted:

He misheard the name and decided the Vladlands
:golfclap:

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

I keep discovering that Kroq-Gar has made his way across the empire and given several settlements to the Lizards.

One time while I was playing Clan Angrund, I reached the North around turn 120 and discovered that he'd conquered literally the entirety of Norsca for the Lizards.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
He’s pissed about AI Nakai being moved from Albion

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like to imagine he's just trying to set up the lizard royal family on albion.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I genuinely think he might just have decided that manny is a dickhead so he's going for a holiday somewhere warm and orky with isabella.

e: found the tweet I got it from https://twitter.com/HundredMice/status/1228695045164982272

feller fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 14, 2020

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

He’s pissed about AI Nakai being moved from Albion

Where does AI Nakai start? He's just holding onto a single city in Middenland at the moment.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

:drat:

This the quality posting we need in these dark times.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

drat it Vlad, don't skip leg day.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You spend half your time as a bat and you end up with a weird body shape.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Jarvisi posted:

There are mods out there to increase the AI confederation cooldown.

ArchRanger posted:

I keep discovering that Kroq-Gar has made his way across the empire and given several settlements to the Lizards.

One time while I was playing Clan Angrund, I reached the North around turn 120 and discovered that he'd conquered literally the entirety of Norsca for the Lizards.
Kroq-Gar gets the Norscan confederation mechanic for defeating their lords because game recognize game.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 14, 2020

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is it still Ordertide in the beta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
What on earth is going on with this?

Greybeard's hated Thegan's Errantry and liked me the whole game. Still shows as negative attitude towards Thegan on diplomatic map. Not even non-aggression pact between them. And yet apparently now, after already fighting the Bretonnians for 20 turns and gobbling up their territory with the dwarves approving all the way, Greybeard is suddenly losing his poo poo over me fighting them.