Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

This is the thread for getting the biggest percentage discount possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The point of this thread was to provide easy updates when a game was free for a limited time. The Steam thread is sometimes considered to be the general PC game thread, but it can move really fast so you could potentially miss out on freebies. It also was a bit weird to talk about freebies on different distributors/other platforms in a thread for Steam. So here was a thread just to let you know about those free games for a limited time. I guess every post in this thread that is part of a discussion about games kinda defeats its original purpose, oops! I guess we're long past that point.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mierenneuker posted:

The point of this thread was to provide easy updates when a game was free for a limited time. The Steam thread is sometimes considered to be the general PC game thread, but it can move really fast so you could potentially miss out on freebies. It also was a bit weird to talk about freebies on different distributors/other platforms in a thread for Steam. So here was a thread just to let you know about those free games for a limited time. I guess every post in this thread that is part of a discussion about games kinda defeats its original purpose, oops! I guess we're long past that point.

I mean, discussing the now-free games is always good, but I agree that it should be for stuff that’s actually free for a limited time. When I see a spike in posts here I know it’s worth looking to see what’s now 100 percent off.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pyf and it's coldly compiled lists are over there

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Free games that have always been free go here now

contains iji and sand games and knytt

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Countdown to when that thread dies forever starts now

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Len posted:

Countdown to when that thread dies forever starts now

Rude :(

But yeah it'll probably go within a week, but whatever, hopefully I'll find some neat things to play before it goes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Rude :(

But yeah it'll probably go within a week, but whatever, hopefully I'll find some neat things to play before it goes.

I feel like i've had a multiple threads for free games bookmarked over the years and this is the only one that's really stuck around, i could be wrong though!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I mean, discussing the now-free games is always good, but I agree that it should be for stuff that’s actually free for a limited time. When I see a spike in posts here I know it’s worth looking to see what’s now 100 percent off.
Game that were pay but are now permanently free also seem relevant?

EDIT: I mean, not counting a subscription thing that goes f2p, I mean "To drum up interest in Shooting People In The Face 2, Shooting People In The Face 1 is now free forever"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Len posted:

Why can't all free games just be in this thread?

Because then it would fill up with chat about games that happen to be free and people wouldn't know when to check it for paid games that they have been thinking about getting that are free for a short period of time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cojawfee posted:

Because then it would fill up with chat about games that happen to be free and people wouldn't know when to check it for paid games that they have been thinking about getting that are free for a short period of time.

So check the thread more?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
This thread is pretty valuable when it gets around 5-10 new posts a week, and when you see 40 posts per day you know it's trivial bullshit like arguments over what the thread is for.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think there's absolutely a worthwhile separation between deals/freebies on games and whatever freeware stuff is out there and it should be pretty clear why it's good to have both to anyone who isn't being a willfully pedantic rear end in a top hat about it

new games showing up on subscription services are probably also fine just because that can get incredibly lost in how many services are out there -- did you know indivisible is on pc game pass and the ori sequel is coming out day 1 on the service next week? but that's probably getting a little too close to just Game Deals

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 8, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

flatluigi posted:

I think there's absolutely a worthwhile separation between deals/freebies on games and whatever freeware stuff is out there and it should be pretty clear why it's good to have both to anyone who isn't being a willfully pedantic rear end in a top hat about it

new games showing up on subscription services are probably also fine just because that can get incredibly lost in how many services are out there -- did you know indivisible is on pc game pass and the ori sequel is coming out day 1 on the service next week? but that's probably getting a little too close to just Game Deals

Games on a subscription service you have to pay for sounds like a third thread. If this is for games that are marked down to free from costing money them a subscription service is not that.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Len posted:

Games on a subscription service you have to pay for sounds like a third thread.

One we already have in fact

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I know you're being petty but there's a difference between highlighting a thing on a service you paid a dollar for a few months ago and talking about what people are playing across the hundred thousands of freeware games out there

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Yeah the freeware game scene used to be a crucial tide pool for burgeoning indie game developers before digital distribution became a thing available to everyone, and there are countless hidden gems. A general discussion thread for freeware games is long overdue.

Amorphous Abode fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 8, 2020

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
We have a freeware game thread now already, it's done, holy poo poo stop telling about why we need one and pay about free game deals.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

World of Horror is on Gamepass and it's a neat little early access cosmic/eastern horror mashup. The art is styled off Junji Ito. Itbfeels pretty complete but I'm hoping as it needs full release you get more interaction between things

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zereth posted:

Game that were pay but are now permanently free also seem relevant?

EDIT: I mean, not counting a subscription thing that goes f2p, I mean "To drum up interest in Shooting People In The Face 2, Shooting People In The Face 1 is now free forever"

That’s true, though it feels like a lot of those end up vanishing into the ether before too long.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That’s true, though it feels like a lot of those end up vanishing into the ether before too long.

I have some plans to help keep this one afloat. Namely finding more cool free games people should look at, as there's a billion of them.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Shadow of the Colossus is free with ps+ right now

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Len posted:

World of Horror is on Gamepass and it's a neat little early access cosmic/eastern horror mashup. The art is styled off Junji Ito. Itbfeels pretty complete but I'm hoping as it needs full release you get more interaction between things

As a headsup, the save system isn't completely implemented yet and reloading a save will wipe your character's perks and allies. It's not a super big deal though since runs tend to go between 20-60 minutes. Maybe more if it's your first.

Also some of the storylines just abruptly end. Although SOMETHING EVIL might have been the last unfinished one, and that got patched in recently.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 8, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cross posted to correct thread

Sparq posted:

Warzone 2100. Early 3D strategy game, released on the PC and Playstation. It has aged surprisingly well. A game where you battle for map dominance while you design and build an army of drone tanks and aircraft, being able to customize them between different chassis, propulsions, and weapons. It went open source and has been perfected and expanded by a team of modders called The Project. The campaign is good, and lets you build a homebase on one map while sending away teams to specific missions on other maps.

Here's the link: https://www.wz2100.net

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Len posted:

Eh, it's been free for long enough that I'm sure it gets a pass.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Please god don't start quibbling over which thread a game should be in. As long as it's free it's good.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Len posted:

Thanks pal. I wasn't aware of this thread.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

StrixNebulosa posted:

As long as it's free it's good.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

GoNNER is pretty fun (from Epic store). It's a bit of a more action-oriented Spelunky. I don't know if there is an overall structure to playthroughs or if it goes on forever, but the combat mechanics are fun and it has a cool visual style. It also doesn't go out of its way to explain all the bigger game mechanics, but after half an hour I easily picked figured out a bunch of them, and it was enjoyable to puzzle them out.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mutazione and Anodyne 2 and A Short Hike are free on EGS this week

Next week will be The Stanley Parable and Watch Dogs

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

A Short Hike is one of those games I saw loads of people losing their poo poo over when it came out.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

njsykora posted:

A Short Hike is one of those games I saw loads of people losing their poo poo over when it came out.

all of those games are IGF finalists and worth playing

anodyne 2 was one of my favorite games that came out last year, too! it's a lovely, weird game

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I bought Anodyne 2 on Steam a short while back, its got this sorta Janky outsider indie feel to it. The story is pretty good and the gameplay is decent enough.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
im pretty sure star control 2 cost money at some point and now (and for a few years lol) you can get the best version of the game for free and it runs like a dream. one of the best games ever made

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

A Short Hike has been well cheered on, and I love it a lot, but Mutazione is my favorite hidden gem from last year. Be sure to take it real slow and explore around and grow your best gardens and talk to everyone every day, I've never wanted to hug a game so much as this

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Verviticus posted:

im pretty sure star control 2 cost money at some point and now (and for a few years lol) you can get the best version of the game for free and it runs like a dream. one of the best games ever made

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

Ur-Quan Masters has been a free thing for... god at least 15 years now. It’s crazy.

Such a good game.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Len posted:

Warzone 2100. Early 3D strategy game, released on the PC and Playstation. It has aged surprisingly well. A game where you battle for map dominance while you design and build an army of drone tanks and aircraft, being able to customize them between different chassis, propulsions, and weapons. It went open source and has been perfected and expanded by a team of modders called The Project. The campaign is good, and lets you build a homebase on one map while sending away teams to specific missions on other maps.

Here's the link: https://www.wz2100.net

That webpage is giving me a security error for some reason. However, Warzone is out on steam. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1241950/Warzone_2100/

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

There's an NPC named Ur-Quan in WoW. Most people might think he's named after the classic game but he's named in honor of my best friend who died who used it since the 90s as his internetnick. We had a mutual friend working at Blizzard who somehow got that through. Since his death I've got Ur-Quan tat on my forearm.

This my star control story tnx for reading

Edit
Friend was a horde shaman poopsocker, like the npc

Monstaland fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 13, 2020

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

flesh dance posted:

A Short Hike has been well cheered on, and I love it a lot, but Mutazione is my favorite hidden gem from last year. Be sure to take it real slow and explore around and grow your best gardens and talk to everyone every day, I've never wanted to hug a game so much as this

the sausages are david mamet incarnate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
https://twitter.com/glanderco/status/1238900364965003269
https://itch.io/s/28588/cozy-quarantine

ART SQOOL is currently free on itchi.io until some time Monday. Thanks, Coronavirus!