Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Saros posted:

Hundreds of thousands will die not tens, almost all of them over 60, however something like 600k people die normally every year in the UK and it's unlikely to double that. I pretty much agree with you in that they decided it is too expensive and disruptive to try and stop so are just leaning into it.

I guarantee someone had pointed out the deaths will tend to be in more densely populated (read: Labour voting) areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
With companies encouraging/enforcing work from home, it certainly is a shame that nobody ever thought of some sort of universal nationalised broadband scheme. I suppose that would have been ludicrous what with the internet being a luxury only used for kids to meme on.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Does the number of politicians and footballers getting this thing not suggest that the idea we've got a few hundred or low thousands of cases is completely fanciful? 600 cases in the whole country and two of them happen to be Mikel Arteta and Callum Hudson-Odoi?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I guarantee someone had pointed out the deaths will tend to be in more densely populated (read: Labour voting) areas.

Yeah but they'll also be conservative demographics so might just mean labour get a stronger foothold in this areas. I really doubt political concerns in terms of voting populations are driving this, thinking you can minimise the hit to productivity seems more believable.

They said I can also buy in to the idea that Cummings is fully sold on being able to model a perfect behavioural response that will somehow skip the worst effects that traditional planning endures. It fits perfectly with the kind of approach of large scale project planning where someone heard about 'Agile' and thinks that means that cutting 30% off the budget and halving the time line for building infrastructure is viable.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

peanut- posted:

Does the number of politicians and footballers getting this thing not suggest that the idea we've got a few hundred or low thousands of cases is completely fanciful? 600 cases in the whole country and two of them happen to be Mikel Arteta and Callum Hudson-Odoi?

Chances are the real numbers are shockingly high

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

TheRat posted:

Chances are the real numbers are shockingly high

Which, to be fair, might not be bad if it means the vast majority of cases are extremely mild. Though would beg the question of what has happened in Italy. Maybe pushing self-isolation during the early stages has had a big impact.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Football's cancelled.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

stev posted:

Football's cancelled.

It's no longer coming home.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ITV is claiming 10k infected based on last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX2Ka-dl9FM

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
All the power just went off on multiple sites and half of our UPSes just keeled over. Happy Friday 13th :toot:

MrNemo posted:

I can also buy in to the idea that Cummings is fully sold on being able to model a perfect behavioural response that will somehow skip the worst effects that traditional planning endures. It fits perfectly with the kind of approach of large scale project planning where someone heard about 'Agile' and thinks that means that cutting 30% off the budget and halving the time line for building infrastructure is viable.
Dom Cum: Our administration will use lean and agile long-tail management philosophy *releases ferrets from trou*

Bundy posted:

It happens of course, but probably not at any more or less an alarming rate than anywhere else when taking into account societal and economic influences. Coverage is skewed because whenever it is gang/drug/race/poor place/chav related (or can be spun/lied about to be) the media are all over it and amplifying it like we just found an intelligent signal from space.

The whole 'county lines' thing is a perfect example of that. There are drugs in towns. Someone is moving the drugs from other places to those towns, which makes sense unless Melton Mowbray has coca plantations I'm not aware of. Some of the people moving the drugs to towns have poor morals and exploit people, that's bad. But now that it has a catchy name it regularly gets turned into "urban thugs infiltrating our precious towns! have you seen them?"

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

The whole 'county lines' thing is a perfect example of that. There are drugs in towns. Someone is moving the drugs from other places to those towns, which makes sense unless Melton Mowbray has coca plantations I'm not aware of. Some of the people moving the drugs to towns have poor morals and exploit people, that's bad. But now that it has a catchy name it regularly gets turned into "urban thugs infiltrating our precious towns! have you seen them?"

I think the concern around county lines is more that they tend to involve vulnerable teenagers (i.e. children) being used to move & sell drugs, often involving coercive control, financial and sexual exploitation/abuse

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1238415010021494784

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I can't believe the wales vs scotland six nations game is still on.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

peanut- posted:

Out of my arse - one theory might be that wealthy people tend to have fairly dense social networks, and meet with people who've travelled a lot, which would put them at a higher risk of catching it from an early case and spreading it to others. Then you might see higher spread amongst the "upper echelons" first.

Wouldn't want to bet on it, but it's a vaguely plausible story

(probably more likely that it's everywhere)

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

it's good the government haven't mentioned the final planned phase - DEATH

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

oxford_town posted:

I think the concern around county lines is more that they tend to involve vulnerable teenagers being used to move & sell drugs, often involving coercive control, financial and sexual exploitation/abuse
Yes, but they do that when they're not trafficking drugs into our precious pork pies and garden shows, so the rhetoric as it appears in those places is "the bad city people, did u know [those people] live there?" more than the actual cases of child exploitation and cuckooing that arise out of our hosed up social system and drug war.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

CGI Stardust posted:

Out of my arse - one theory might be that wealthy people tend to have fairly dense social networks, and meet with people who've travelled a lot, which would put them at a higher risk of catching it from an early case and spreading it to others. Then you might see higher spread amongst the "upper echelons" first.

Wouldn't want to bet on it, but it's a vaguely plausible story

(probably more likely that it's everywhere)

Yeah think about the places the first European cases came from - ski resorts and business conferences. The nature of capitalist society means this was transmitted first around the geographically mobile and their enclaves and then spread to the general population. This was spread by the rich.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Two people in my office now with a persistent wheezy cough sent home.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

The Deleter posted:

It's no longer coming home.

It's coming home

It's coming home

It's coming

Football's coming home to self-isolate for 2 weeks

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

hemale in pain posted:

it's good the government haven't mentioned the final planned phase - DEATH

i dunno, if they'd been upfront about their Sweet Embrace Of Death policy in december they'd have gotten the millenial vote right onboard

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

peanut- posted:

Which, to be fair, might not be bad if it means the vast majority of cases are extremely mild. Though would beg the question of what has happened in Italy. Maybe pushing self-isolation during the early stages has had a big impact.

Just a bit of pneumonia, nbd.

https://twitter.com/slaskow/status/1238089104631443456?s=20

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

judging by Twitter this is really not going down well with the general public

even if the science does back up the government's current degree of total inaction, people are absolutely pissed off that every other country is taking big dramatic steps and we appear to be doing gently caress all. given that this is probably a time when you want to build trust in the government and its advice it's a bit of a loving stupid move anyway

if the death toll here is not essentially the same as everywhere else by the end of this, it will absolutely be on Johnson.

even if it does work out, the perception of nearly everyone is that he's gambling with our lives and the lives of our loved ones

e: also this quote keeps coming up

https://mobile.twitter.com/danbarker/status/1238367384139902976

he just wants to be the big boy mayor who makes the tough but unpopular decisions and is proved right in the end, and who cares if a few (hundred thousand) people die unecessarily in the process

XMNN fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 13, 2020

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Just came to post that. Jesus Christ we're all doomed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Really wish that election was held maybe one year later.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Yes, but they do that when they're not trafficking drugs into our precious pork pies and garden shows, so the rhetoric as it appears in those places is "the bad city people, did u know [those people] live there?" more than the actual cases of child exploitation and cuckooing that arise out of our hosed up social system and drug war.

Fair enough. I live & work in a major city so I don't know what the mood is elsewhere. Professionally and from a brief bit of googling it seems that the words "child slavery" are almost always attached to "county lines".

XMNN posted:

judging by Twitter this is really not going down well with the general public

twitter is not representative of the general public; if it was, Jez would have won a historic landslide and the EU ref would be 80:20 remain

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah after he totally fucks this up it's still another four years to the election.

The media will be saying that it's rude to bring up mass death, and in any case the labour leader said "coronavirus" antisemitically.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A good labour leader would be calling for blood in kind for the death the government caused.

But I don't think any of them have it in them.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

One of the top stories on the BBC nrwd this morning was "why the UK might not end up like Italy" so I'm sure we'll be fine :)

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

oxford_town posted:

twitter is not representative of the general public; if it was, Jez would have won a historic landslide and the EU ref would be 80:20 remain

yeah, I'm not sure why I left general public in there, I meant to take it out for the reasons you said.

my work colleagues are probably more representative of the average voter (i.e. soft right wing, absolutely clueless about everything) but fortunately I haven't had to hear their pontificating about this.

suspect the one who's primary concern about a global pandemic was "what if my wedding makeup artist gets it?? I've got no back up plan!" and was moaning about how it's all overblown because it had only killed 3 people in the UK at that point will probably have to cancel the wedding (lol)

e: I am pretty concerned for the guy who's girlfriend is due to give birth in the next week or so. she's like 38 or something so I suspect you probably have to go to hospital for it?

XMNN fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 13, 2020

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Looks like the plan for basically every event is "wait for the government to cancel poo poo otherwise we lose our deposits" which is... A really bad plan. You're playing chicken with Johnson and the stakes are deposits / lives. Hopefully people will be reasonable and cancel events even if the government doesn't order them to before they're scheduled to happen.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Only Britain Soldiers On

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

Looks like the plan for basically every event is "wait for the government to cancel poo poo otherwise we lose our deposits" which is... A really bad plan. You're playing chicken with Johnson and the stakes are deposits / lives. Hopefully people will be reasonable and cancel events even if the government doesn't order them to before they're scheduled to happen.

A significant number of public events need a government edict for cancellation to be able claim on insurance. Without that they likely do not have the cash to give refunds and cancellation would mean instant bankruptcy.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

sinky posted:

Only Britain Soldiers On

:britain:

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1238423211479633923

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

sinky posted:

Only Britain Soldiers On

That’s a bit misleading. What about Netherlands, Finland, etc with their schools still open?

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

My partners sister is due a baby in Surrey in May. That is shaping up to be interesting I'm not sure how hospitals getting overrun will affect maternity provision but it can't be good...

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

^^^ has she considered the joys of home birth?

Oodles posted:

That’s a bit misleading. What about Netherlands, Finland, etc with their schools still open?

They're dumb fucks too.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://mobile.twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1238402908888223744

I was wondering what Israel had to do with this but it's "Boris derangement syndrome"

not sure I would willingly be drawing comparisons to trump if I was pro Boris?

maybe he is actually bitter about getting cuckolded by Johnson, after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

I keep seeing British medical officials saying they're "following the science" in the government response to coronavirus but what are they actually talking about here? What does Britain know that has made everyone else's response so wrong and their officials incorrect?
Genuinely if there's any evidence online of the science they're talking about I'd love to see it.