Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Bootcha posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen, Goons and Observers, it saddens me to inform you that one of our own has passed away.

DapperDon died from a heart attack on the way to the hospital. He is survived by his wife.

Don was a frequent contributor on the ARGCast as well as this thread, and sometimes ventured into the wilds of Reddit.

We have lost a voice in the chorus of the great Star Citizen oral history. I am ashamed to say I did not know him well enough, but many here did and made friendships with him that will affect them past his death.

Don wasn't just goon shitposting about Star Citizen. He was a dog daddy, of 4 at the same time at one point. He made animal baths. He was an avid woodcrafter. An enthusiastic snowmobiler. A lover of visual gags. And by many reports a great cook.

I am poorer for his absence, as will us in this little corner of the world.

Jesus, that's too bad. Really terrible news.

I didn't know him well but yeah, his posts were good and he seemed an alright guy.

gently caress.

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClownBobo
Jan 3, 2020

vIHbe'chugh, vaj Huch law' Sovbe'lu'
So sorry to learn of Dapper Don’s passing. Enjoyed reading him the short time I’ve been here.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Bootcha posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen, Goons and Observers, it saddens me to inform you that one of our own has passed away.

DapperDon died from a heart attack on the way to the hospital. He is survived by his wife.

Don was a frequent contributor on the ARGCast as well as this thread, and sometimes ventured into the wilds of Reddit.

We have lost a voice in the chorus of the great Star Citizen oral history. I am ashamed to say I did not know him well enough, but many here did and made friendships with him that will affect them past his death.

Don wasn't just goon shitposting about Star Citizen. He was a dog daddy, of 4 at the same time at one point. He made animal baths. He was an avid woodcrafter. An enthusiastic snowmobiler. A lover of visual gags. And by many reports a great cook.

Sad and terrible news, definitely a loss for the community.

o7 don.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Sad to hear about Don. He was a real colorful character. I’m sorry for his wife that she lost him so suddenly. That has to be hard.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Hav posted:

Population density is their problem. Complete cessation of public services is the FL problem. Luckily our older population should completely overreact, although I suspect that Scott’s quarantine is an effort to stay away from people. First one in our county is a guy who returned from a Nile cruise.

Our company basically retooled to send as many people home as possible by pivoting on the VPNs, which has shifted our working load a bit.

This is an economic stop, though. Disney just closed. Our tiny Orlando downtown is deserted. The knock-on effects are going to be amazing.

In this time of such economic uncertainty, I sure am glad I took Jade Starwatcher’s Bitcoin advice. I sleep easy know I’m protected from the volatility of the markets thanks to the power of blockchains and stuff.

(Checks BTC holdings.)

“Aaaaaaaagggh!”

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Does any roughly know how old don was ? I thought he was only im his early 40's....

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

G0RF posted:

In this time of such economic uncertainty, I sure am glad I took Jade Starwatcher’s Bitcoin advice. I sleep easy know I’m protected from the volatility of the markets thanks to the power of blockchains and stuff.

(Checks BTC holdings.)

“Aaaaaaaagggh!”

I hadn't looked at r/cryptocurrency in over a year (I used to visit there for humor, when r/wallstreetbets wasn't serving up enough comedy). You weren't kidding. The first thing I noticed was that the price ticker in the header was gone. And here's what the first page looks like right now:

Amazing.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

mdxi posted:

I hadn't looked at r/cryptocurrency in over a year (I used to visit there for humor, when r/wallstreetbets wasn't serving up enough comedy). You weren't kidding. The first thing I noticed was that the price ticker in the header was gone. And here's what the first page looks like right now:

Amazing.

:lol:

Well, at least Jade still has $10000 worth of spaceships. Spaceships that have earned her $100000 worth of fun!

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer
DapperDon's death is sad news for the thread. It's funny, we joked about backers dying before Star Citizen comes out but we never turned such thoughts inward.

Game's still bad, Don. Game's still bad.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Ah poo poo, terrible news.. Rest in peace, Mr Don.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
If you want to hear DapperDon, he was the single guest on ARGCast for two episodes. He got to discuss the SQ42 vertical slice in May 2018. However, he got to give his thoughts about the emotional attachment and the end game of the project. And he had a lot of salient thoughts that I need to re-digest, because some of it is starting to rhyme.

https://anchor.fm/star-citizen-argcast/episodes/Bank-run-e1dken.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

RIP. Sad time.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Goonspeed :'(

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
drat that's mega sad. Real shame.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Bootcha posted:

Don was an absolutely great man and an inspiration. I really wanted to meet him and talk cooking and owning idiots in person. Not to mention consistently cheerful and funny. I'll miss him.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

In other news a Naughty Dog expat spills the beans.

https://twitter.com/GameAnim/status/1238199518534881281

Now where have I heard this before?

https://twitter.com/GameAnim/status/1238199668359581697

Getting a strange feeling of Deja Vu here.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: When Liam Cunningham casually strolls into your coffee shop to get soup and a sandwich (pictured together with my fiancée)

:confused: “I loved you in the trailer for the forever delayed Squadron 42!” “.....I think you’re confusing me with someone else, can I have my sandwich?”

:v: Don't worry George R.R. Martin's books will save the day eventually. I wonder what releases first his next book or sq42. Lmao

:shepspends: It's a drat shame people will always call him 'that guy from Game of Thrones'. He's such a great actor and I'm excited to see his performance in Squadron 42.

:smith: Great actor... Age started to show on him too as it does to all of us. I sincerely hope he is still alive to see SQ42 when it comes out.

:haw: None of us will be alive to see SQ42 when it comes out XD I think it’s our gift to our grandchildren lol

:classiclol: I'm optimistic that I'll be able to at least watch my kids alpha test it from my rocking chair with my hearing aids and prescription glasses as my senses dull in my old age. I just have to convince them to bring their 512 core gaming holo-rig to the nursing home.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Quavers posted:

:smith: Great actor... Age started to show on him too as it does to all of us. I sincerely hope he is still alive to see SQ42 when it comes out.

:haw: None of us will be alive to see SQ42 when it comes out XD I think it’s our gift to our grandchildren lol

:classiclol: I'm optimistic that I'll be able to at least watch my kids alpha test it from my rocking chair with my hearing aids and prescription glasses as my senses dull in my old age. I just have to convince them to bring their 512 core gaming holo-rig to the nursing home.[/i]
If SQ54 eventually releases (it won't), its list of names under "in memory of..." might be actually long enough to compete with its credits list.

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

Bootcha posted:

Sad news, he always seemed a decent guy.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Quavers posted:

:shepspends: It's a drat shame people will always call him 'that guy from Game of Thrones'.
Still better than 'not-Jean Reno'.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
star clitizen: does it really exist

sorry

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I toff my hat to Don, may he not respawn in Star Citizen.

o7

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Let this be a lesson to us all, no matter now funny it is, don't mass crouch or jump as heart attacks can get you.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Enjoy the heavenly rigs, Don (that might even run SC... nah, j/k), it was fun reading your posts in the short time I was around at the same time as you were...

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Bootcha posted:

Well drat. I always hoped he would craft an 890J desk and sell it to the citizens at a mighty premium. Everyone would have been a winner.

Sad news. Rest in peace big man.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I dunno if this is OK or not but I wanted to do something, I dunno, sorry if this is off or anything
I've made a Don's Dons gang tag, is that OK do you think?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

you know, the dropship's interior is kinda cool (when it's lit up; looks like rear end when it's on the low power mode or whatever)
i actually liked the "it's sunlight through treetops" idea

loled when he showed the side doors. of course the dropship has to land like any other ship to unload the soldiers. of course there's no drop pods. of course

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

I dunno if this is OK or not but I wanted to do something, I dunno, sorry if this is off or anything

Is good, nice one pgabz.

God bless DapperDon, I always enjoyed reading your posts.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

i think it's cool

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Such sad news. Condolences to DapperDon's family and friends.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Holy poo poo, I open this thread on friday the 13th, and hear that DapperDon passed away. Rest in peace, DapperDon, I only knew you from this thread, but you were a good poster!

Also PGabz, that gang-tag is pretty perfect imo! I'd wear it proudly, allthough I never had the opportunity to communicate with him outside of this forum.

gently caress 2020. Like seriously. From one month to the next, it gets worse.

sorry for the meltdown, but aaaahhhhhh

e: that's basically my 2020 anthem for now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3EAzf5fDpY

tuo fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 13, 2020

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bootcha posted:

I'll miss his posts, he seemed like a really cool dude and had a bitchin avatar. I wish his wife the best.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 13, 2020

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Terrible news about DapperDon, my thoughts are with his family and friends.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

peter gabriel posted:

:thumbsup:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Hah, I went to read back some of the posts and since Don posted so often, and the forums work in this weird weird way, his posting history is also an archive of the old Star Citizen Thread titles (you actually need plat to view this)

Even in death he still serves. o7

EDIT: Aw, it only works for this thread, since the old one got moved to the Goodmine and all the previous titles are lost :/

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

peter gabriel posted:

I'll take that tag proudly.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Bootcha posted:

Godspeed, friend.

peter gabriel posted:

:unsmith:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

haldolium posted:

No.

Also because it's the German word for 'give' and just sounds dumb in that context.

Partially correct. "Gib" is the German imperative of "geben". "Geben" is actually the German word for "give".

Example:
If you see your German friend nearly decapitating themselves with an axe while chopping wood, you'd be yelling "Gib mir das!" ("Give that to me!"), before ripping the axe out of their stupid hands.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Terrible news about Don. I always enjoyed his posts and his appearances on ArgCast.

We all joke about Citizens dying waiting for Star Citizen to release, but I never even thought about one of us Goons passing before this dumpster fire burns out.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Very sorry to hear the news. This world keeps losing good things and Star Citizen will never arrive to fill the void in our hearts.