Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Cobra Lionfist posted:

Disinfectant by the door and if people aren't wearing masks where you are leave some tissues or something for people who need to cough or whatever. If it gets bad in your area
you'll probably need to close down for a week or so

what will magically happen after that one week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Someone linked a 3m respirator in here several hundred pages back. does anyone have a good suggestion for a reusable mask/face shield?

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Omnitrix posted:

I own a small retail record store with no more than four or five customers in at a time. I’m super uncertain about what I should do. Staying open for now and lysoling everything. Should I consider closing?

Is it in a shopping centre? is there multiple entrances?

Can people come to the counter rather than flip and touch.

I'd say stay open but make people come to the counter and ask what they want then you get it.

Sign the doorway saying so.

I have no idea what your setup is. a Small DJ shop just put hand sanitiser and ask regulars to call ahead

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000

B_sketchy posted:

What's the best way to increase one's credibility? Easy. Broadly announce to the world how great a job you're doing.

Yep... Expect to see this pretty much non-stop until Trump crushes Biden in the general election. It's going to be a massacre.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

so at my work(retail pharmacy) we have little hand sanitizer dispensers by the doors and the door to the bathrooms

someone stole the refill packages for it. granted, they were where customers could see them, but not really "front facing"

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

stump collector posted:

Someone linked a 3m respirator in here several hundred pages back. does anyone have a good suggestion for a reusable mask/face shield?

No mask is reuseable, at the last the filter has to be changed

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

stump collector posted:

Stop looking for masks and face shields. They won't do you any good.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

haunted bong posted:

so at my work(retail pharmacy) we have little hand sanitizer dispensers by the doors and the door to the bathrooms

someone stole the refill packages for it. granted, they were where customers could see them, but not really "front facing"

LOL buy more at like 3x the price.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Hazo posted:

See guys? We did it. Good job everyone :chaostrump:

oops

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A fascist has the ‘roni

https://twitter.com/verambergen/status/1238464905533104129?s=21

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

wheres that death is certain wizard

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

There Bias Two posted:

Stop looking for masks and face shields. They won't do you any good.

Its possibly aerosol viable for like 3 hrs so masks are valid. poo poo changes.

It can last up to 3 days on metal surfaces.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Diephoon posted:

Saw a boomer walk out of the men's room without putting soap on his hands today. He rinsed his hands but didn't put any soap on them.

relax, he probably didn't get any pee on them

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

A Grand Egg posted:

Does the mask cover your eyes? If not...

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

A Grand Egg posted:

It's not valid to a layperson who has no training for proper use and disposal of PPE. Doctors and nurses need these more.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Everyone is hoping Trump gets it but at this point it looks more like he has it but is fine and is giving it to everyone he meets

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Redgrendel2001 posted:

This is not an argument against masks. It is an argument for goggles.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mike12345 posted:

what will magically happen after that one week?

the 20-something hipster record-store patrons will emerge from the ruins of coronapocalypse to rule the world

B_sketchy
May 31, 2019

shovelbum posted:

Office people are staying home because their whole job is a) pointless and b) literally just sitting in a crowded room.

As an office person, I can confirm.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Raku posted:

Everyone is hoping Trump gets it but at this point it looks more like he has it but is fine and is giving it to everyone he meets

Remember, it can look that way for 2 to 14 days before symptoms show up.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Went to the local Safeway this morning at 6 am. They were putting lots of TP onto the shelves. Those of you who just happened to be running low when all of this hit, there's hope.

OTOH, in not-so-good news, Lancet study says that viral shedding can occur for up to 37 days (average 20) and that people may still be infectious during that time: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30566-3/fulltext#back-bib33

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 13, 2020

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Redgrendel2001 posted:

There Bias Two posted:

It's not valid to a layperson who has no training for proper use and disposal of PPE. Doctors and nurses need these more.

Yeah i wouldn't bother.

gg

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Raku posted:

Turns out if you do enough cocaine you don't present symptoms?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I'm a homebody and lazy bastard, but working from home for four weeks is gonna get really boring. At least I got COD Warzone to burn out on.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Wifi Toilet posted:

Same here (Las Vegas.) I was down for 5 days mid February. No cough though, just fever, chills/sweats, constant headache and back and neck pains, no appetite. I usually don't get sick too. I hadn't taken a sick day in nearly a decade and I just used up 5. If that wasn't the Roni then I hope I don't get it now cause Id probably be out longer than my remaining sick leave.

Hasn’t taken a sick day in ten years
Takes 5 and is at risk of having none left
:911:

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Zugzwang posted:

Went to the local Safeway this morning at 6 am. They were putting lots of TP onto the shelves. Those of you who just happened to be running low when all of this hit, there's hope.

OTOH, in not-so-good news, Lancet study says that viral shedding can occur for up to 37 days (average 20) and that people may still be infectious during that time: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30566-3/fulltext#back-bib33

Did you take hand sanitiser and use it often and either wash your hands when you got home or have a shower?

everyones talk

A Grand Egg fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 13, 2020

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Turns out if you do enough cocaine you don't present symptoms?

More seriously, doesn't Trump allegedly abuse Sudafed? If so, couldn't he be accidentally covering up some of the early symptoms?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Ultraklystron posted:

More seriously, doesn't Trump allegedly abuse Sudafed? If so, couldn't he be accidentally covering up some of the early symptoms?

He certainly did have a drawer full of UK sudafed in that taco bowl picture.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Do you really think Trump is cold filtering out the Acetaminophen like a heroin addict?

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Okay there is some credible evidence that temp and humidity do some real damage on it. Here's the paper.

And the abstract:

quote:

This paper investigates how air temperature and humidity influence the transmission of COVID-19. After estimating the serial interval of COVID-19 from 105 pairs of the virus carrier and the infected, we calculate the daily effective reproductive number, R, for each of all 100 Chinese cities with more than 40 cases. Using the daily R values from January 21 to 23, 2020 as proxies of non-intervened transmission intensity, we find, under a linear regression framework for 100 Chinese cities, high temperature and high relative humidity significantly reduce the transmission of COVID-19, respectively, even after controlling for population density and GDP per capita of cities. One degree Celsius increase in temperature and one percent increase in relative humidity lower R by 0.0383 and 0.0224, respectively. This result is consistent with the fact that the high temperature and high humidity significantly reduce the transmission of influenza. It indicates that the arrival of summer and rainy season in the northern hemisphere can effectively reduce the transmission of the COVID-19.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

A Grand Egg posted:

Do you really think Trump is cold filtering out the Acetaminophen like a heroin addict?

No? But Sudafed by itself can give a high, it's why it's commonly abused.

B_sketchy
May 31, 2019

Day Man posted:

Remember, it can look that way for 2 to 14 days before symptoms show up.

That's one of my biggest pet peeves is every news report about so and so testing positive states that they are not showing any symptoms. Like that's relevant or makes it better.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

A Grand Egg posted:

You can buy straight Pseudoephedrine in a lot of places still (it's behind the counter with no ID or RX required in British Columbia for example.) It maybe why he had UK Sudafed - it's pure Pseudoephedrine.

However, no. If he got a variety with other stuff in it, he'd probably just take it like normal, liver be damned. However, that means he may have also dosing himself with Guaifenesin and DXM, further covering symptoms not touched by Pseudoephedrine and Acetaminophen.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 13, 2020

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Lambert posted:

ok

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

A Grand Egg posted:

just posting to say im not bothering to explain

No one was waiting for you to explain.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
/edit messed up

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
coolcoolcool here's a paper that suggests infants can transmit it:

https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/cid/ciaa201/5766416

quote:

A well 6-month-old infant with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) had persistently positive nasopharyngeal swabs to day 16 of admission. This case highlights the difficulties in establishing the true incidence of COVID-19 as asymptomatic individuals can excrete the virus. These patients may play important roles in human-to-human transmission in the community.

I will admit to having a deep morbid fascination with this virus.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJbmB9k2Y88

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

mrfart posted:

At least make customers disinfect their hands before entering. Apparently the virus lasts pretty long on plastic and I’m guessing vinyl too.

Although if your customers are touching the surfaces of the records, please cough in their faces and/or shoot them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Lambert posted:

Sudafed doesn't get you high, it's a precursor to meth. This is why you have to show ID or whatever. It'll raise your pulse and blood pressure if you take too much, but it will not get you high. For that you need to eat the cotton from a benzedrex inhaler.