Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It's happening, my office is shutting next week, minimum of 2-3 months. Glad i brought all my catfood home from the office.

Wait, you work somewhere super serious re: closing, right? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Pesmerga posted:

Today's official stats are out, 290 more infections, taking us to 798.
Still perfectly following that 1.3× exponential curve :waycool:

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Regarde Aduck posted:

I mean the bigger thing here that important people that could bring up but aren't is that the plan requires everyone to get it. But there are many people that 'getting it' will kill. So the plan is just abandoning these people. Have lung or immune system issues? You're literally being left to die.

And if the hospitals overload, then even healthy people are at risk. The 'becomes critically ill' percentage becomes the new death percentage as the ICU's fill up.

We have approx. 4000 intubation units and nothing the government has done is going to stop us running out just like Italy.

The difference between 40 million people and everyone getting it is also ~800,000 extra deaths. Hope you're confident, Boris :thumbsup:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Friends it is a lot at the moment. I'm getting so insanely anxious about this, despite the fact that self-isolation is basically my standard operating procedure and I routinely was my hands enough every winter that I have to moisturise them regularly to keep them from loving bleeding, between this, my first paycheque getting hit with an emergency tax code costing me five loving hundred quid, my car being in the process of dying and needing to be replaced, and any of half a dozen other things including the pressures of a new job, (still probably) being forced to undergo unnecessary travel during the loving plague, and the knowledge of our country's loving idiotic response to this... In addition to the usual constant low level awareness of how hilariously hosed everything is...

JFC it's a lot at the moment.

I'm genuinely regretting getting a job, which makes me feel goddamn awful given how hard I worked to get it and how much other people want them.

Is there anything positive to be seen at present? Because I would quite like some positivity.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Red Oktober posted:

The holiday might well be cancelable - my partner and I have just cancelled our New York trip and been offered a full refund despite having non refundable rooms. :shrug:

Useful to know, I'm friends with the agent who booked it so I'll shout her when she's back on Monday, unless she gets isolated coming back from Sri Lanka.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

thespaceinvader posted:

Friends it is a lot at the moment. I'm getting so insanely anxious about this, despite the fact that self-isolation is basically my standard operating procedure and I routinely was my hands enough every winter that I have to moisturise them regularly to keep them from loving bleeding, between this, my first paycheque getting hit with an emergency tax code costing me five loving hundred quid, my car being in the process of dying and needing to be replaced, and any of half a dozen other things including the pressures of a new job, (still probably) being forced to undergo unnecessary travel during the loving plague, and the knowledge of our country's loving idiotic response to this... In addition to the usual constant low level awareness of how hilariously hosed everything is...

JFC it's a lot at the moment.

I'm genuinely regretting getting a job, which makes me feel goddamn awful given how hard I worked to get it and how much other people want them.

Is there anything positive to be seen at present? Because I would quite like some positivity.

If things continue as they are it'll be over in just over a month, and everyone in the UK will have had it, so you won't have to worry for long?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Red Oktober posted:

The holiday might well be cancelable - my partner and I have just cancelled our New York trip and been offered a full refund despite having non refundable rooms. :shrug:

I think I remember reading that EU rules says that an official WHO-Pandemic means that force majeure is no longer available to insurance companies

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

oxford_town posted:

My interpretation is that they think COVID-19 is out of the bottle and will be circulating for a long time (which is probably true if you look at the US, not to mention if & when it takes hold in lower income countries), hence they have chosen to try and time a significant outbreak on their terms. If this works & herd immunity successfully develops, it minimises the length of time of disruption from the pandemic in the UK. Other countries without that degree of herd immunity (especially China, where infection rates have slowed significantly) will either get subsequent major outbreaks or will be in continual shutdown for a long time.

I don't know if what they're doing will work. I don't have any meaningful influence to change it anyway, all I can do is my best at the frontline. Stay safe, goons.

this is how i'm hearing it too from the people not posting that regular sips of water kill the coronavirus

I personally am skeptical because it seems like in the UK vs China approaches, lets say they both result in x% of the population getting it, the UK over 5 months and develops immunity, china slowly over 12+ months with herd immunity developing but more slowly.
at the end of this process both countries have herd immunity, but one stresses the healthcare system much more which we know increases mortality significantly. if the idea is you need 60% of the population to get infected for the UKs plan but potentially in china say 80 or 90% get infected over slower periods, the drop in mortality from having enough or nearly enough ICU beds etc more than compensates for the increased infections in the latter case.

I suspect that the experts have recognised that the NHS absolutely cannot handle this, compared to most of europe our ICU bed availability is basically third-world. and naturally as tories do instead of actually trying to rectify that and saving x% of the dead, they'd rather just do nothing and have another few percent of victims die while saving money and effort. as far as i can tell there is no inkling of them trying to buy or make more ventilators or ICU beds?
I suppose to give them the benefit of the doubt the grim maths going on here is its better for the NHS to completely collapse under the weight of the dying for 5 months than for 12+ months.

Olewithmilk posted:

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1238366264747270144?s=20

The difference between 40 million people having the disease and everyone getting it is ~1-3 days depending on the infection rate, I hope everyone takes the eventual quarantine order seriously & immediately!

the issue with something like this is if it becomes seasonal, which i've actually heard used as an argument FOR the UK's plan, if the virus is mutating each season and reinfecting... well our herd immunity means nothing if we get unlucky and the wrong bit mutates. and theres already evidence of a mutation in italy.

someone do that graphic design frog but its "epidemiology is my passion" next to my 2:2 biochem degree lol

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

thespaceinvader posted:

I would honestly limit your exposure to the news! Concentrate on the stuff you can influence (your job, fixing your car, keeping you and your family safe) and let somebody else worry about the apocalyptic headlines.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Pistol_Pete posted:

I would honestly limit your exposure to the news! Concentrate on the stuff you can influence (your job, fixing your car, keeping you and your family safe) and let somebody else worry about the apocalyptic headlines.

I genuinely don't read the news much at all.

Not reading the news does not stop me being aware that, for instance, billionaires exist.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Getting this strange urge to go around care homes and cough in the faces of the elderly, how can I supress these urges

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Labour Party cancelling all regular meetings

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

even high risk people are more likely to live than not. most people are at fairly low risk.

theres a chance that the actual mortality is significantly lower since we're not testing everyone. korea has the best testing programs (iirc) and has the lowest mortality rate
(unfortunately afaik italy is also now testing loads of people and has a real high one, so uh....)

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Bitcoin is tanking*. Watching the reaction to that has been quite fun.

*Seems to have a recovered but did hit a lol £2000 in value gone over the cliff edge early this morning.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Ash Crimson posted:

Getting this strange urge to go around care homes and cough in the faces of the elderly, how can I supress these urges

Ash, seriously, take a loving chill pill.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
lol Bolsanaro tested positive (second definitive test still in progress) and he met Trump a week ago

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Bitcoin is tanking*. Watching the reaction to that has been quite fun.

*Seems to have a recovered but did hit a lol £2000 in value gone over the cliff edge early this morning.

Lol, even more imaginary than regular money. "But it's backed by math! MATH!"

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

Remember when we were all worried about Brexit? Doesn't seem as bad now, eh?

nobody post about the possibility of a no-deal brexit happening at the end of the year

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

oxford_town posted:

Remember when we were all worried about Brexit? Doesn't seem as bad now, eh?

nobody post about the possibility of a no-deal brexit happening at the end of the year

Yes, a reminder of one of the many apocalypses bearing down on us is definitely exactly what I mean by positivity.

Thanks for that.

Sincerely.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Olewithmilk posted:

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1238366264747270144?s=20

The difference between 40 million people having the disease and everyone getting it is ~1-3 days depending on the infection rate, I hope everyone takes the eventual quarantine order seriously & immediately!
they don't have the ability to divine when to put these immediate quarantine orders into effect. the confirmation rate is going up 30%/day, but that's based off of how many people we test. you can't make a high risk wager time-critical decision on low-accuracy time-delayed information based off of a sample of the population. it's part of the reason for large scale delay measures to be put into place early: slow it down enough so we can understand the spread and scale our measures up.

honestly they need to be making field hospitals yesterday and reminding people what happened with the spanish flu - there'll be initial panic but the public need to know yesterday

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

Yes, a reminder of one of the many apocalypses bearing down on us is definitely exactly what I mean by positivity.

Thanks for that.

Sincerely.

Sorry. Here is some actual good news: remdesivir looks like it might be a promising treatment for COVID-19 although data is still limited.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

StarkingBarfish posted:

Wait, you work somewhere super serious re: closing, right? :ohdear:

Giant biomedical charity that has been watching the pandemic with keen interest, yes

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Perspective from the City:

https://twitter.com/stephenburanyi/status/1238429201830678528?s=21

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Ash Crimson posted:

Make this chat probatable please

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

honestly they need to be making field hospitals yesterday and reminding people what happened with the spanish flu - there'll be initial panic but the public need to know yesterday

has anyone seen any indication they're doing anything like this? or at the very least buying or making ICU beds/ventilators?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Communist Thoughts posted:

has anyone seen any indication they're doing anything like this? or at the very least buying or making ICU beds/ventilators?

None, because they aren't. You can't sell off the NHS if it's seen to be working.

Oh, sorry, Rishi Sunak said they would in the budget. They just haven't yet.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

oxford_town posted:

Sorry. Here is some actual good news: remdesivir looks like it might be a promising treatment for COVID-19 although data is still limited.

Thanks for that, I saw a similar article a few days ago but somehow lost it.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
We've all got this already lol its just wildly variable in symptoms

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

oxford_town posted:

I am a British-trained medical practitioner so obviously I have a vested interest here.

Smears are a good example. More is not always better. The cervical screening programme starts at 25 in England. This paper, for example, estimates that, to pick up one extra invasive cancer in women aged 20-24 we would need to do between 12500-40000 additional examinations and treat between 300-900 people - there is a resource implication there, but also a lot of harm from over-diagnosis and over-treatment.

Other countries, notably the US, practice regular 'routine gynae exams'. We don't do that, again because resource plays a part, but also because there there seems to be no benefit in doing them for women without symptoms of illness. Of course, in the US, there is a fee per exam payable to the doctor - so a significant incentive for those docs to promote them as an important procedure.

This in particular was genuinely super weird to me, like I get there's zero medical benefit but growing up in eastern europe all the women I know did have those exams regularly. In my mid 20s I was going out with this woman my age who's never had sex before and she was like "I've literally not had anyone touch me or look there since I was 3" and it was just so weird to me. Even men have their junk checked out a few times when growing up, if more for assurance than anything else. TBF she was from a somewhat more conservative country than Britain so maybe there is some sort of one-time adolescent examination. Or maybe not. Either way it was seriously surprising to me.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Enjoy the hometime Jermoud. Any tips for the rest of us? My uni is still silent on whether staff should work from home. Line managers are already turning a blind eye to those electing to telecommute tho.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Fujyno/status/1238155063283142656

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Plus ca change.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I 100% believe that staff in for example universites should just not go in. If everyone just refuses en masse what are they going to do, discipline everybody? I'm sure there's a word for this kind of strategy.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Jedit posted:

None, because they aren't. You can't sell off the NHS if it's seen to be working.

Oh, sorry, Rishi Sunak said they would in the budget. They just haven't yet.

lol too late but better than i expected

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

I 100% believe that staff in for example universites should just not go in. If everyone just refuses en masse what are they going to do, discipline everybody? I'm sure there's a word for this kind of strategy.

maybe not in unis but a lot of employers are probably itching for an excuse to fire a huge amount of staff right now tbh

though i do agree with you

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/samcoatessky/status/1238490389406982144?s=21

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

StarkingBarfish posted:

Enjoy the hometime Jermoud. Any tips for the rest of us? My uni is still silent on whether staff should work from home. Line managers are already turning a blind eye to those electing to telecommute tho.

Here's what I spent the last week or two doing:

* getting lots of cereal, toiletries, canned meat, canned fish, canned fruit, chopping up fresh veg and freezing it. luckily we already had a huge stockpile of canned beans, canned veg and pasta and rice, thank you brexit! got some bottled water too. that's probably overkill, but if a pipe bursts, they might not fix it as quick as they normally would, so why not have some bottled water just in case
* got my catfood stockpile. don't forget your pets!
* i got a pulse oxymeter from Argos (yes they sell them, for £20). if either me or my wife develop flu like symptoms we can keep an eye on our blood oxygen saturation. Not sure how helpful this'll be but if i call 999 and say "mine's 93%" they'll certainly send an ambulance (if any are left), though it's likely i'll be calling them before that
* i downloaded as many movies as I can. just in case the internet is going to be crippled with over-use, lol.

That's my "hunker down" strategy. I give it a doomsday prepper score of 6/10. Didn't get any guns.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Delay will be for one year, which is kind of a relief - it means Labour will have a chance to get its poo poo together first.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Imagine if this outbreak had happened last year. Or 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Gonna be skyping in after all, thanks anyway dude.

I just wanted to say Good Luck!