Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

It's not a big deal at all, but you put a gun in your mouth to attempt instant brain death. A phaser with a kill setting made by a humane-conscious starfleet probably doesn't need to blow your brains out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

I love that scene. Lol, what the gently caress were they thinking?!

e: also it's Riker that fire's the head shot, I only just noticed that. Didn't they pull the ep from syndication as well?

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 13, 2020

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Another good episode. The main plot is actually coming together in a good and not stupid way, unlike a certain other 50+ year old sci fi series this year. A good Rios and Raffi episode. My only real complaint is that I wish it had been our boy Hugh on the cube instead of Seven, and I still think it was probably originally written as Hugh.

Also I wish they wouldn't start the next time on Picard within half a second of the episode ending because I never want to watch it, but always end up watching it.

Lizard Combatant posted:

It's not a big deal at all, but you put a gun in your mouth to attempt instant brain death. A phaser with a kill setting made by a humane-conscious starfleet probably doesn't need to blow your brains out.

Oh that's even less of a big deal than I though it would be. Makes sense that someone would target the traditional areas even if they didn't really need to. I remember Miles O'Brien putting a phaser under his chin back in the day.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Lizard Combatant posted:

And when it's something like Data or a box on wheels that's showing signs of sentience, it's kind of more interesting as it's then about the line between what constitutes consciousness, recognising intelligence and sentience that's very different to our own, and our obligations to our own creations.

It's less interesting when it's just a human with human feelings, wants and desires who finds out they're a secret AI, to me anyway.

Yeahhhhhhh, that's something that's been in the back of my mind about dodge and soju since the first episodes. At some point if you have an artificial life form that has biological features (skin, blood, etc.), passes for human, no scan can ever tell they're not human, does all the things a normal human/biological life form can do -- then it just, it seems weird to have some kind of scare about them being an artificial life form? Like at that point what's really making them artificial? Is it that they had a creator? Or that they're technically machines (but not in the way that our bodies are machines)?

(I'm also two episodes behind, so forgive me if this is covered in those)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's because they stronk super soldiers

Every

Time

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

marktheando posted:

My only real complaint is that I wish it had been our boy Hugh on the cube instead of Seven, and I still think it was probably originally written as Hugh.
I strongly suspect that it was too.

marktheando posted:

Also I wish they wouldn't start the next time on Picard within half a second of the episode ending because I never want to watch it, but always end up watching it.
Right?! I have to turn it off immediately. I hate that poo poo.

marktheando posted:

Oh that's even less of a big deal than I though it would be. Makes sense that someone would target the traditional areas even if they didn't really need to. I remember Miles O'Brien putting a phaser to his temple back in the day.
No it's not a big deal at all. I only mentioned it in passing as something that made me laugh, but I expect it to be quoted back at me endlessly :v:

piratepilates posted:

Yeahhhhhhh, that's something that's been in the back of my mind about dodge and soju since the first episodes. At some point if you have an artificial life form that has biological features (skin, blood, etc.), passes for human, no scan can ever tell they're not human, does all the things a normal human/biological life form can do -- then it just, it seems weird to have some kind of scare about them being an artificial life form? Like at that point what's really making them artificial? Is it that they had a creator? Or that they're technically machines (but not in the way that our bodies are machines)?

Sort of, but doesn't sound like you've read anything you shouldn't have. But drat man, thread's a minefield if you care at all about spoilers.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Sort of, but doesn't sound like you've read anything you shouldn't have. But drat man, thread's a minefield if you care at all about spoilers.

oh I have been reading almost every spoiler, I just resigned myself to not caring as much since it doesn't feel like I'm missing much by reading it before watching.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

piratepilates posted:

Rationally, Dahj and Soji, or Roy Batty or Data or Moriarty, are just people. But robophobia, like other forms of prejudice, is not rational.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

piratepilates posted:

oh I have been reading almost every spoiler, I just resigned myself to not caring as much since it doesn't feel like I'm missing much by reading it before watching.

Ah, well basically we've learned that AI kills everything but we haven't yet learned how or why.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think it would be funny if the romulans misinterpreted the message because their overly emotional brains simply can't handle the terrible secret of space. I really want there to be a scene where Narissa and the squad show up at that planet and she's all "don't touch that thing, it makes you go insane!" Then Picard touches it and says "what's the big deal? It just says to be careful with robots."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Lizard Combatant posted:

- There's little connecting the two episodes together, we just start on the ship, presumably 10 days later although no time seems to have passed.

:confused: Where did the 10 days thing come from? Everyone is exactly where they were. Narissa (after her appearance in the Ascent to Transcendence flashback) is still on the cube, Picard and Soji have just stepped off the transporter from being beamed up from Deanna and Will's front yard at the end of last week's show, and Elnor is even still doing the exact same fight scene. (I guess Seven got there implausibly quickly, again.)

piratepilates posted:

Yeaaaah, this part doesn't make a whole lot of sense. She's got ordinary human-seeming muscles (and mucus!) but she can still tear through steel or jump fifty feet, because artificial = magic, I guess. The cylons had similar issues on :bsg:.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

:confused: Where did the 10 days thing come from? Everyone is exactly where they were. Narissa (after her appearance in the Ascent to Transcendence flashback) is still on the cube, Picard and Soji have just stepped off the transporter from being beamed up from Deanna and Will's front yard at the end of last week's show, and Elnor is even still doing the exact same fight scene. (I guess Seven got there implausibly quickly, again.)

Yeaaaah, this part doesn't make a whole lot of sense. She's got ordinary human-seeming muscles (and mucus!) but she can still tear through steel or jump fifty feet, because artificial = magic, I guess. The cylons had similar issues on :bsg:.

You can't tell human from cylon with any medical test, also their spines glow.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

I think it would be funny if the romulans misinterpreted the message because their overly emotional brains simply can't handle the terrible secret of space. I really want there to be a scene where Narissa and the squad show up at that planet and she's all "don't touch that thing, it makes you go insane!" Then Picard touches it and says "what's the big deal? It just says to be careful with robots."

The Romulans just hosed up with the punctuation:

quote:

Synthetic organisms will end all life in the galaxy?

No, more research is allowed!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

This is going back to like the second episode or something, but was it ever explained why Alison Pill's character knew Dahj would have a twin sister? Like, she says something about how they're created in twos, but is that just something Maddox liked doing? And how does that mesh with this episode showing there was a third synth that looks exactly like Dahj as well? Are a lot of the synths going to look like Dahj?

Seems like it was just a lazy plot point to get Picard on the hunt for the sister, but it doesn't really seem to make much sense to me.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Even though it's background filler that absolutely won't be followed up on, I like the idea that the secret breaks the minds of the Borg. It works that the collective would be unable to handle being confronted with knowledge that pursuing its biological/technological merging objective too far triggers a response from something so awfully powerful that resistance would be futile.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I'm guessing Dahj/Soji's "DNA" was a base for the early models.

after all, it's said only one of the two Rios' dad killed looked like Soji.

The twin thing is probably just a symbolic reference to DNA.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Powered Descent posted:

Ah I must have misheard the "10" part, Rios says "days away at maximum warp".
Eh, they pick them up the next morning (after having to double back giving the Narek the slip) so I guess it's fine. Just a pet theory I have, and yes Seven does get there ridiculously fast.

e: anyone taking bets for who "beautiful flower" was? I'm assuming we didn't see his face for a reason.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 13, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm guessing Dahj/Soji's "DNA" was a base for the early models.

after all, it's said only one of the two Rios' dad killed looked like Soji.

The twin thing is probably just a symbolic reference to DNA.

Beautiful Flower looked like Charlie Day in that drawing, to me

Weird that it was a drawing too, wtf

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Brawnfire posted:

Beautiful Flower looked like Charlie Day in that drawing, to me

Weird that it was a drawing too, wtf

Nah, beautiful flower drew the picture. Charlie Day (I thought the exact same thing, it's the expression) is Rios

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Lizard Combatant posted:

Nah, beautiful flower drew the picture. Charlie Day (I thought the exact same thing, it's the expression) is Rios

Ohhh that makes a lot more sense. And yeah, that expression lol

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Crazy batshit theory time.

Seriously, this is some terrible secret of space poo poo, you may go mad...

Beautiful Flower is Lore or a Lore derived synth. Based on "lore" being Basque for "flower". That's it, I got nothing else. But if they pulled that Le Petit Soldat stunt with Commodore Cool...

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Lizard Combatant posted:

Crazy batshit theory time.

Seriously, this is some terrible secret of space poo poo, you may go mad...

Beautiful Flower is Lore or a Lore derived synth. Based on "lore" being Basque for "flower". That's it, I got nothing else. But if they pulled that Le Petit Soldat stunt with Commodore Cool...

Ha, oh man, if the season finale reveal is regular looking Brent Spiner walking on screen, I'll never stop laughing.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

Ohhh that makes a lot more sense. And yeah, that expression lol

I think there's also a flower in the corner of the drawing as a signature

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Guess I... Spaced out. ;)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

Guess I... Spaced out. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XY-WjKkkeo

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

thrawn527 posted:

This is going back to like the second episode or something, but was it ever explained why Alison Pill's character knew Dahj would have a twin sister? Like, she says something about how they're created in twos, but is that just something Maddox liked doing? And how does that mesh with this episode showing there was a third synth that looks exactly like Dahj as well? Are a lot of the synths going to look like Dahj?

I know a fellow Trekkie who loved that detail, because it seems there are present-day cloning or genetic engineering techniques that always result in twins, since inducing cell division is one of the first steps in the process. (But take that with a grain of salt since I don't know a drat thing about any of this, and my friend was going off memories of a few college classes from twenty years ago.)

thrawn527 posted:

Seems like it was just a lazy plot point to get Picard on the hunt for the sister

Yeah, it's pretty much this.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
No wonder the Roms cottoned on to Soji and Daj, Maddox can't stop making them look the same even when that face has been compromised.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Lizard Combatant posted:

No wonder the Roms cottoned on to Soji and Daj, Maddox can't stop making them look the same even when that face has been compromised.

Do not besmirch the good name of the Grand Nagus in this manner.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Drone posted:

Do not besmirch the good name of the Grand Nagus in this manner.

A classic blunder, apologies.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Remember when Data said "Holy poo poo!" in Generations? How about we do that EVERY EPISODE OF PICARD.

I really didn't have an issue with the swearing before, like, at all. But man, I'd love to go a couple of episodes of Picard without someone yelling "gently caress" just for the hell of it.

I guess that's modern television dialog now though.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

thrawn527 posted:

Ha, oh man, if the season finale reveal is regular looking Brent Spiner walking on screen, I'll never stop laughing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AFo8HFgLt8&t=183s

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

AndyElusive posted:

I don't know why I thought of it just now, but imagine the famous DS9 root beer scene except Quark is talking about White Claw.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Drone posted:

I don't know why I thought of it just now, but imagine the famous DS9 root beer scene except Quark is talking about White Claw.

"it's disgusting and tastes like garbage"

"Just like the federation"

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Romulans would seem to be the worst race to come across The Terrible Secret. Naturally paranoid, prone to conspiracy and always looking for the next knife.

Give them any information without context and it's no far stretch to have at least a small subset of the population turn that info into an existential threat.

But enough about freep...

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Biscuitbeard posted:

Pretty much sums up my thoughts too. The music really doesn't help. Also the sound design - apparently when holograms think, it makes a noise! Because we're stupid to be trusted with remembering they're holograms and must be reminded at every opportunity.

That's a goofy gripe, holograms are a consumer product. Do you also get annoyed whenever your cursor turns into an hourglass or spinning wheel or whatever? Do you feel like a loading bar is just being condescending? In-Universe it makes perfect sense for a program to give the users some visual feedback.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

AndyElusive posted:

Remember when Data said "Holy poo poo!" in Generations? How about we do that EVERY EPISODE OF PICARD.

I really didn't have an issue with the swearing before, like, at all. But man, I'd love to go a couple of episodes of Picard without someone yelling "gently caress" just for the hell of it.

I mean, it's mostly Admiral 'cussin' Clancy. Language doesn't bother me much, though.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

When that admiral told Picard to finally STFU, it really made me wish that it had been Nachayev. That would have been earned.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I will never mature past the part of me that hears someone whining about cusses and just wants to cuss even more.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The one really bad thing was some Sand Snakes level fight choreography. Elnor force punched the female assailant. She went flying backwards and his fist was half a meter away.

The good is everything else. It was a pretty great episode. The Queen Seven stuff was a little eehhhh rushed, maybe, but I'm rolling with it.

I think the threat is xenophobia making the synths turn on the bioligicals for survival. In other words, the plot of the Orville.

Do you Believe in Hell?

:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm not loving complaining about motherfucking cussing I just don't like swears in every loving episode of my motherfucking Star Trek.

Also,

The Bloop posted:

Do you Believe in Hell?

:laffo: