Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
:rip: those submarine crews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

prime minister selfie isolation

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

Another Bill posted:

Conspiracies are fun and all but I'm not sure how closing schools helps the Ontario govt teacher problems

It's basically locking them out without calling it that.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

linoleum floors posted:

It's basically locking them out without calling it that.

Yeah but he can't ramp up pressure on them or blame them for the closures.

In fact, I'd argue that any kind of politicking by the Ontario government over this will backfire spectacularly. People are scared and some arsehole premier bullying teachers on the news in between sick and dead number updates isn't going to go over well.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Another Bill posted:

Yeah but he can't ramp up pressure on them or blame them for the closures.

In fact, I'd argue that any kind of politicking by the Ontario government over this will backfire spectacularly. People are scared and some arsehole premier bullying teachers on the news in between sick and dead number updates isn't going to go over well.

he can lock them out for 3 weeks and not pay them without any blowback from parents

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Noblesse Obliged posted:

he can lock them out for 3 weeks and not pay them without any blowback from parents

I know they don't get paid for March Break but where did you read they aren't getting paid for the two weeks after

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
and how would that factor into negotiations over class sizes that the government has already capitulated on?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Another Bill posted:

I know they don't get paid for March Break but where did you read they aren't getting paid for the two weeks after

currently nothing has happened yet. it is my tin hat theory that the Ford government is using the opportunity corona has given them to lock out teachers to 1: save money and 2: make them loose enough income that they will capitulate

none of this has come about yet. it’s just my theory of what I would do if I was a big fat bastard named Doug Ford

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

infernal machines posted:

and how would that factor into negotiations over class sizes that the government has already capitulated on?

the bigger issue for Ford is the 1% raise issue. they passed legislation to not allow any increases above 1% and would be forced to undo that legislation if teacher keep the pressure up which would really piss off his base

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Noblesse Obliged posted:

the bigger issue for Ford is the 1% raise issue. they passed legislation to not allow any increases above 1% and would be forced to undo that legislation if teacher keep the pressure up which would really piss off his base

Yeah but that legislation will be struck down in every court. It violates a charter right to collective bargaining, this is already settled law in Health Services and Support-Facilities Subsector Bargaining Association v. British Columbia, 2007 SCC 27

That's why the teachers don't feel any pressure to sign the 1% raise deal, the governments argument doesn't have a legal leg to stand on.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Another Bill posted:

Yeah but that legislation will be struck down in every court. It violates a charter right to collective bargaining, this is already settled law in Health Services and Support-Facilities Subsector Bargaining Association v. British Columbia, 2007 SCC 27

That's why the teachers don't feel any pressure to sign the 1% raise deal, the governments argument doesn't have a legal leg to stand on.

you don’t get conservatives. it is their favourite tactic to introduce bullshit legislation that gets struck down so they can lament the liberal courts and show they tried to do something.

but if he has to walk it back himself because the teachers force him to. then he’s a weakling and his toxic base can’t abide weakness

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Noblesse Obliged posted:

you don’t get conservatives. it is their favourite tactic to introduce bullshit legislation that gets struck down so they can lament the liberal courts and show they tried to do something.

but if he has to walk it back himself because the teachers force him to. then he’s a weakling and his toxic base can’t abide weakness

No, I get all that but if we're going to be nit picky

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Do you know what a lock out is? Why did you say teachers wouldn't be paid when that is pure speculation on your part?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Another Bill posted:

Do you know what a lock out is? Why did you say teachers wouldn't be paid when that is pure speculation on your part?

it is pure speculation. I said this is my tin hat theory. not fact.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Noblesse Obliged posted:

it is pure speculation. I said this is my tin hat theory. not fact.

Cool. Well you keep talking out of your rear end and I'm going to stick to talking about facts.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

why? those aren’t funny

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Another Bill posted:

manitoba passed limited raise legislation 5 years ago and it's still in effect

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

I’m sure they declare this extra income!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.kijiji.ca/b-alberta/toilet-paper/k0l9003?dc=true

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm not one for vigilantism...

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

it may surprise you to find this out but the people in this story have lengthy criminal records

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Human piñata for future Costco go-ers.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Say what you will about our country, at least our medical research has been really good. Between this and the ebola vaccine:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/canadian-scientists-make-covid-19-research-breakthrough-isolating-virus-1.4851641

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

shameful I had to find out about this tweet in the trump lol thread and not the :canada: thread, man Ed sucks

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

So anyone got info on the new Covid-19 cases in Ontario today? There's no info regarding origin in the latest update, is it finally communal transmission cases?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Isizzlehorn posted:

So anyone got info on the new Covid-19 cases in Ontario today? There's no info regarding origin in the latest update, is it finally communal transmission cases?

Either they haven't figured that out yet or they are communal transmission cases in which case they're probably switching into the Delay phase of handling the epidemic and begin winding down testing because there's no containing this thing anymore.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

Dreylad posted:

Either they haven't figured that out yet or they are communal transmission cases in which case they're probably switching into the Delay phase of handling the epidemic and begin winding down testing because there's no containing this thing anymore.

True. I left Wednesday from the GTA and down in Florida getting my 80+ year old grandmother the gently caress out of here, back by Sunday. My doctor already recommended we all quarantine for 2 weeks because the US is a goddamn minefield and nobody knows how bad. Doing all this to avoid my grandmother dying in the inevitable triage that's coming.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Isizzlehorn posted:

True. I left Wednesday from the GTA and down in Florida getting my 80+ year old grandmother the gently caress out of here, back by Sunday. My doctor already recommended we all quarantine for 2 weeks because the US is a goddamn minefield and nobody knows how bad. Doing all this to avoid my grandmother dying in the inevitable triage that's coming.

Good call. Given that Britain says the count is probably off by a factor of at least 10 in the UK, the US is gonna be worse. I can't imagine how bad it'd get in Florida with the number of old people there.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dreylad posted:

They'd better not wind down testing, widespread testing and isolation is how South Korea has managed to avoid the worst effects of it despite having the third most cases after China and Italy. Also not having testing widely available is how you get the US right now, where the virus is everywhere but no one can confirm that because the government refuses to test anyone.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

They'd better not wind down testing, widespread testing and isolation is how South Korea has managed to avoid the worst effects of it despite having the third most cases after China and Italy. Also not having testing widely available is how you get the US right now, where the virus is everywhere but no one can confirm that because the government refuses to test anyone.

Well I'm just speculating but at some point once the virus begins to transmit communally, there's not much point in spending the resources to test people because it's already out in the general population, all you can do is start getting everyone to quarantine themselves in order to avoid shocking the healthcare system.

If people and households don't self-isolate, a report yesterday said that you'd see about a 50% infection rate in Ontario, which would mean 32 000 people would require ICU beds. There are 1700 in the entire province.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

Dreylad posted:

Good call. Given that Britain says the count is probably off by a factor of at least 10 in the UK, the US is gonna be worse. I can't imagine how bad it'd get in Florida with the number of old people there.

It'll be bad here. Her place is in The Villages, so it's boomer hell and nobody here is doing ANYTHING to prepare. This place is a time bomb.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Millennials are killing the dying-from-disease-because-I-refuse-to-wash-my-hands industry.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Isizzlehorn posted:

It'll be bad here. Her place is in The Villages, so it's boomer hell and nobody here is doing ANYTHING to prepare. This place is a time bomb.

It's probably just people not really paying attention but there was a belief that warmer weather slows/stops transmission, hence there being no cases in Africa, and few in Australia/South America.

Of course a bunch of African countries just announced they have their first cases of convid-19 today.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dreylad posted:

Well I'm just speculating but at some point once the virus begins to transmit communally, there's not much point in spending the resources to test people because it's already out in the general population, all you can do is start getting everyone to quarantine themselves in order to avoid shocking the healthcare system.

If people and households don't self-isolate, a report yesterday said that you'd see about a 50% infection rate in Ontario, which would mean 32 000 people would require ICU beds. There are 1700 in the entire province.

Evidence out of SK seems to show that testing is worthwhile even after widespread community transmission. Maybe because rapid isolating and testing of asymptomatic people who have come in contact with confirmed cases then lets you confirm that they have it and slows their transmission to others, whereas if you never confirm that they have it they may continue spreading it. It seems like widespread testing can, if nothing else, slow down the spread through society by restricting how many people spread it unknowingly, which could be really important for reducing how much we exceed those scarce ICU beds.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

Evidence out of SK seems to show that testing is worthwhile even after widespread community transmission. Maybe because rapid isolating and testing of asymptomatic people who have come in contact with confirmed cases then lets you confirm that they have it and slows their transmission to others, whereas if you never confirm that they have it they may continue spreading it. It seems like widespread testing can, if nothing else, slow down the spread through society by restricting how many people spread it unknowingly, which could be really important for reducing how much we exceed those scarce ICU beds.

Yeah, like I said I'm just speculating. I hope we're still in the phase where testing is still valuable because that means this thing isn't out of control here and that'll help in the long run. I agree that preventative care is always best, I just have a bad feeling that we may have lost the containment on this thing today.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dreylad posted:

Yeah, like I said I'm just speculating. I hope we're still in the phase where testing is still valuable because that means this thing isn't out of control here and that'll help in the long run. Preventative care is always best.

I mean really the big thing for Canada is that the virus is almost certainly spreading unchecked through the US right now and the massive amount of daily cross-border traffic means Canada should expect to get slammed as a result.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

I mean really the big thing for Canada is that the virus is almost certainly spreading unchecked through the US right now and the massive amount of daily cross-border traffic means Canada should expect to get slammed as a result.

Yeah I don't think there's any way we could actually close the southern border even if we wanted to :rip:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

tired: lining up at costco to stock up on toilet paper

wired: taking a bunch of extra napkins from tim hortons when you get your coffee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Dreylad posted:

Say what you will about our country, at least our medical research has been really good. Between this and the ebola vaccine:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/canadian-scientists-make-covid-19-research-breakthrough-isolating-virus-1.4851641

is it actually hard to cultivate the virus in vitro or are they proudly announcing they did babby's first undergraduate lab assignment?

as a health physicist I deal with living things and not angry chemistry like viruses so this isn't really my area