Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat
"A councillor in an English village where one of the first UK cases of coronavirus was confirmed has described the government’s strategy of tackling the disease as “a crime against humanity.”

Samantha Flower, who is a member of Boris Johnson’s ruling Conservative Party and also a social care manager for Sheffield City Council, said: “I’m very concerned. They [the UK government] are saying they want as many people to get this disease to create a herd immunisation. But it won’t. My suspicion is that they don’t have the money for social care or NHS so that the weak and the old die.

“I’m saying that as a Conservative councillor and I don’t care if I get sacked. You judge a society by how they treat their vulnerable people. You judge leadership by how it treats its most vulnerable people.

“How do we care for them – by saying it would be better for pretty much everyone to get this disease when we know that our loved ones are going to die? It’s not okay.”

Flowers is a Conservative councillor on High Peak Borough Council and represents the Derbyshire village of Burbage, where one of the first known UK cases of Coronavirus was confirmed. Burbage primary school and a nearby medical centre were temporarily closed after a parent tested positive for the virus on 27 February, when just 15 cases had been confirmed in the UK.

She added: “We could follow the World Health Organisation’s advice and stop this now but the government’s chosen not to. Our prime minister has just said to us ‘your loved ones are going to die’ and that’s not okay. It’s abhorrent. It’s a crime against our country. We have the measures and capabilities to prevent this.

“I’m not trying to be an alarmist but the World Health Organisation has set very comprehensive guidance and we’re not following it.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
So bored I'm tempted to go round licking a few doorknobs to 100% give myself this thing and get it over with so I can chill out and go outside again. Willing to tank the 0.5% chance of keeling over lol.

Dear lord why did this have to happen after I moved to a poo poo tiny studio, it would take the edge off so much if I was back in a proper flat with my partner.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

ThomasPaine posted:

So bored I'm tempted to go round licking a few doorknobs to 100% give myself this thing and get it over with so I can chill out and go outside again. Willing to tank the 0.5% chance of keeling over lol.

Dear lord why did this have to happen after I moved to a poo poo tiny studio, it would take the edge off so much if I was back in a proper flat with my partner.

You know you can get it twice

Judoon Platoon
Nov 1, 2010
They must be supremely confident they can crush Starmer if they’re giving him an extra full year to prepare for his first elections.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ThomasPaine posted:

I don't think the chance is that low. I'm trying to find out my own personal risk of needing a ventilator at age 34 (otherwise healthy), and all the studies I'm finding have worrying numbers for diabetics. If I were you I'd literally stop leaving the house.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

I'm wfh for the forseeable now which potentially could be nice. Saves me a bunch of money and time on my commute. Although I discovered I've been sat between two people from a multi-day conference where there have been at least two confirmed cases, so perhaps I'll end up catching it soon.

Oodles posted:

We had a home birth for one of ours, I’d recommend it.

I wouldn’t recommend it being an accidental home birth though.

Just make sure you prepare for a hospital transfer mid-way through if you go for a home berth. Have a grab bag with all the essentials in. Actually take it with you. There is literally zero support available for you in hospital if you turn up with no money or food. Nobody will be able to e.g. give you an energy bar or energy drink during a prolonged labour when you're exhausted, there's nowhere for your other half to sleep, no way to get you back home if you came by ambulance and don't have the car.

Pesmerga posted:

Thanks for your insight, it's appreciated. :)

Ditto. And thanks in advance for your work in the coming period.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 13, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I don't think the chance is that low. I'm trying to find out my own personal risk of needing a ventilator at age 34 (otherwise healthy), and all the studies I'm finding have worrying numbers for diabetics. If I were you I'd literally stop leaving the house.

Type 1 or type 2? Type 2s apparently have it worse because their condition is often the result of strain on the system which knocks on into other areas. Not that I'm taking chances - I'm going to self-isolate as soon as Monday if the rate of increase stays as it is - but still.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jel Shaker posted:

Not really settled one way or the other, but assuming it behaves like other coronaviruses you're probably pretty well immunised from a single infection.

Some reports otherwise are probably intermittent symptoms, relapse, or inconsistent testing methodologies

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i'm sorta acting like everyone has it, and that i have it and i don't want to spread it, so i'm doing my best not to be in too close contact with any customers. I'm trying to avoid standing in crowds. what's scary is i've definitely done multiple deliveries to people who at least THINK they have it.

at this moment in time i feel like catching it is going to be inevitable for me. im just in contact with waaay too many people each day.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
All football at every level in Wales has been cancelled but National League games in England are still happening...

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
And yeah if you have T2D because of obesity/metabolic syndrome you're gonna be very predisposed to inflammatory phenotype and your lungs will start pumping out interleukins when you get a bad lung infection, which is uhhh not good

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jedit posted:

Type 1 or type 2? Type 2s apparently have it worse because their condition is often the result of strain on the system which knocks on into other areas. Not that I'm taking chances - I'm going to self-isolate as soon as Monday if the rate of increase stays as it is - but still.

Interestingly I haven't found any studies that distinguish the two. But here's the one I'm reading now

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/03/who-is-getting-sick-and-how-sick-a-breakdown-of-coronavirus-risk-by-demographic-factors/

quote:

one additional disease (including cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, hepatitis B, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, chronic kidney diseases, and cancer) had a 79% greater chance of requiring intensive care or a respirator or both, or of dying,

Note that "needing a respirator" might be the same as dying, if you happen to need at the time the hospitals are overwhelmed. That's my biggest worry. Licking a doorknob might be "getting it early" or it might be "getting it just in time for the peak in 3 weeks time" so my preferred course of action would be, rather than licking doorknobs, simply not going out anywhere at all.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I went outside for a trip to the local woods and that was nice. People are walking their dogs, clearing their driveways of snow, everything is reassuringly normal. I don't necessarily want to recommend going out if you're in the middle of a city and will be exposing yourself needlessly, but an hour or two among the trees and away from the internet telling me everyone is going to die was pretty good.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

I went outside for a trip to the local woods and that was nice. People are walking their dogs, clearing their driveways of snow, everything is reassuringly normal. I don't necessarily want to recommend going out if you're in the middle of a city and will be exposing yourself needlessly, but an hour or two among the trees and away from the internet telling me everyone is going to die was pretty good.

yah, only ill people should be staying indoors. you aren't likely to catch this going for a walk.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Our office is doing things a little differently. The nature of out business men's that there does need to be someone physically in the building on order to complete certain tasks.

We also have call centre staff who have no options to work from home.

So what we have done is split our building into 3 zones. Each with its own entrance and path to follow to the working area. The call centre staff will each work in one of those three areas separately for however long this goes on for.

Then everyone else is split into two teams. One week one team works from home, the other in the office, the next week we swap over, and so on.

An interesting solution, let's see how it works.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

oxford_town posted:

Sorry. Here is some actual good news: remdesivir looks like it might be a promising treatment for COVID-19 although data is still limited.
there's an ongoing clinical study in china that started on february 6th and obviously the pharma company wants money so they're pushing headlines before the data exists. we'll find out near the end of april on how effective it is in practice

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Olewithmilk posted:

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1238366264747270144?s=20

The difference between 40 million people having the disease and everyone getting it is ~1-3 days depending on the infection rate, I hope everyone takes the eventual quarantine order seriously & immediately!

Has anyone in government, or any journalist, actually said "our plan is for 40m to be infected, the fatality rate is 1-5%, therefore we plan for between 400k and 2M deaths", or is it just left to the public to join the dots?

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Don't know about other places but the hospital I work at has been building a new ward on the car park for the last couple of weeks. Goal is to shift all the least sick people there to make extra capacity.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Qwertycoatl posted:

Has anyone in government, or any journalist, actually said "our plan is for 40m to be infected, the fatality rate is 1-5%, therefore we plan for between 400k and 2M deaths", or is it just left to the public to join the dots?
they've said worst case is 80% infected, and tried to bullshit a fatality rate of under 1%. that is never happening even if hospitals cope with the load with zero supply issues
meanwhile
https://twitter.com/scotgov/status/1238497762863386631

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

... Corona Crew online gaming sessions?

e: I'm pretty much set if I have to self isolate. I'm in the last few stages of a DIY project I started almost a year ago and working on it flat out would keep me occupied for a week. I still need to finish Octopath Traveller and Starlink too.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

... Corona Crew online gaming sessions?

e: I'm pretty much set if I have to self isolate. I'm in the last few stages of a DIY project I started almost a year ago and working on it flat out would keep me occupied for a week. I still need to finish Octopath Traveller and Starlink too.

I totally want to try Broken Worlds over Discord.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Interestingly I haven't found any studies that distinguish the two. But here's the one I'm reading now

This is actually a really interesting thing to me professionally, because the constant conflation of types really muddies the data. 'People with diabetes' is drastically weighted towards those with T2D, who are usually not particularly healthy and are old and have lots of other problems. Additionally lots of the assumptions on T1D are based on old data where people were on far less effective management regimens and had much higher average blood glucose levels leading to susceptibility to infection. A failure to distinguish between types here is a major issue for the stats.

I'm not a HCP but as someone who lives with T1D and looks at its history as their job, I very much suspect that despite the official warnings a reasonably well controlled person with T1D and no other conditions is in no more danger than anyone else of the same age.

Jel Shaker posted:

You don't develop immunity post-infection?

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 13, 2020

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
(not diabetes related; i've gone back to my "am i at risk" googling efforts)

So this paper studied a sample of 138 patients in Wuhan. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2761044

non-ICU admissions ranged from 37-62 years of age.

ICU admissions ranged from 57-78. Half of those people got "invasive ventilation" but I can't figure out the age-range of that subset. Most of the other half needed "non-invasive ventilation". Not sure what that is.

Even those not in the ICU needed "Oxygen inhalation". Not sure what the distinction is between that and non-invasive ventilation.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

So this paper studied a sample of 138 patients in Wuhan. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2761044

non-ICU admissions ranged from 37-62 years of age.

ICU admissions ranged from 57-78. Half of those people got "invasive ventilation" but I can't figure out the age-range of that subset. Most of the other half needed "non-invasive ventilation". Not sure what that is.

Even those not in the ICU needed "Oxygen inhalation". Not sure what the distinction is between that and non-invasive ventilation.

Oxygen mask as opposed to tube down your throat.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

In non-coronavirus news, have people seen this rather sad climbdown?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51870046

quote:

Actors union Equity has apologised to Laurence Fox for a tweet by one of its committees that called him "a disgrace to our industry".

"It was a mistake for Equity as an organisation to criticise him in this way," said the union in a statement.

Fox appeared as a panellist on Question Time in January, during which he called an audience member "racist" for calling him "a white privileged male".

His remarks were criticised by Equity's minority ethnic members committee.

Fox thanked Equity for their comments with a tweet, following a 19-day break from Twitter.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Also I need to stop reading this thread and social media in general. When you're alone in a tiny room away from all your loved ones it's very easy to let the anxiety get the better of you, and I'd quite like to stop imagining myself choking to death tbqh.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ThomasPaine posted:

Also I need to stop reading this thread and social media in general. When you're alone in a tiny room away from all your loved ones it's very easy to let the anxiety get the better of you, and I'd quite like to stop imagining myself choking to death tbqh.

If you need to stop, stop. Put on a film, watch a funny youtube, listen to a song, whatever. Stop.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Darth Walrus posted:

Oxygen mask as opposed to tube down your throat.

I figured that would be "Oxygen inhalation", but if that's a mask, then what's "non-invasive ventilation"?

e: never mind I'm not using common sense. Ventilation would be mechanical air-pumping, wouldn't it.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

there's an ongoing clinical study in china that started on february 6th and obviously the pharma company wants money so they're pushing headlines before the data exists. we'll find out near the end of april on how effective it is in practice

the PR strategy is working for their bottom line!!!

Yes you're absolutely right, there are no real conclusions that can be drawn until robust trial evidence is in (I think there are also remdesivir triallists being enrolled in the USA & a document I saw today suggests they will try to do it in UK ICUs too), but the brief was positivity, so....

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

ThomasPaine posted:

Read the doomsday economics thread and just shitpost NUMBER DOWN it's really fun.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

ThomasPaine posted:

If it helps, it's starting to look like only older people with diabetes are getting admitted anyway, and you're pretty young I seem to remember? I mean that sample had nobody below 37 at all, diabetes or not.

vvvv Thanks!

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 13, 2020

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009
Invasive ventilation is tube in trachea & ventilated. The most invasive & something you do for the sickest patients.

Non-invasive ventilation is a special mask & machine that assists the breathing of people who are conscious or otherwise well enough to maintain their own airway. (If you've heard of BiPAP or CPAP those are both NIV modes). Less invasive, less resource-intensive than invasive ventilation, but still relatively limited capacity.

Oxygen inhalation is presumably just giving someone oxygen, via a device or a mask that doesn't actually assist with the work of breathing but increases the percentage of oxygen being breathed in. Essentially every single bedspace in an acute hospital will be able to do this already. Additional equipment & expertise required to do this is by far the least compared to the other two.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Yeah I'm only 30, still hard to stop it all getting to your head though even when you know that in reality you'll probably be fine

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

That's my "hunker down" strategy. I give it a doomsday prepper score of 6/10. Didn't get any guns.

pshaw

you should wander over to the park, I'm sure someone there can hook you up

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

I think they have a lot of COPD in China which is what NIV is mainly used for and can be set off by viruses. In pneumonia and ARDS it's not usually good for much other than delaying intubation a bit.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Julio Cruz posted:

pshaw

you should wander over to the park, I'm sure someone there can hook you up

Hmm well I could do with some weed that's for sure, maybe I should go to the park

Also LOL @ my friend who was told to self-isolate for 2 weeks today, only to discover her internet has just broken. Virgin are sending her a new hub. Hope it gets there.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

oxford_town posted:

the PR strategy is working for their bottom line!!!

Yes you're absolutely right, there are no real conclusions that can be drawn until robust trial evidence is in (I think there are also remdesivir triallists being enrolled in the USA & a document I saw today suggests they will try to do it in UK ICUs too), but the brief was positivity, so....
yeah they're likely rushing trials but the one to look out for is A Phase 3 Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Multicenter Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of Remdesivir in Hospitalized Adult Patients With Mild and Moderate 2019-nCoV Respiratory Disease.

quote:

Study Type : Interventional (Clinical Trial)
Estimated Enrollment : 308 participants
Allocation: Randomized
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: Quadruple (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)
Primary Purpose: Treatment
Official Title: A Phase 3 Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Multicenter Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of Remdesivir in Hospitalized Adult Patients With Mild and Moderate 2019-nCoV Respiratory Disease.
Actual Study Start Date : February 12, 2020
Estimated Primary Completion Date : April 10, 2020
Estimated Study Completion Date : April 27, 2020
e: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=SARS-CoV-2

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 13, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Hmm well I could do with some weed that's for sure, maybe I should go to the park

Also LOL @ my friend who was told to self-isolate for 2 weeks today, only to discover her internet has just broken. Virgin are sending her a new hub. Hope it gets there.

Fate worse than death itself.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Donut posted:

"A councillor in an English village where one of the first UK cases of coronavirus was confirmed has described the government’s strategy of tackling the disease as “a crime against humanity.”

Samantha Flower, who is a member of Boris Johnson’s ruling Conservative Party and also a social care manager for Sheffield City Council, said: “I’m very concerned. They [the UK government] are saying they want as many people to get this disease to create a herd immunisation. But it won’t. My suspicion is that they don’t have the money for social care or NHS so that the weak and the old die.

“I’m saying that as a Conservative councillor and I don’t care if I get sacked. You judge a society by how they treat their vulnerable people. You judge leadership by how it treats its most vulnerable people.

“How do we care for them – by saying it would be better for pretty much everyone to get this disease when we know that our loved ones are going to die? It’s not okay.”

Flowers is a Conservative councillor on High Peak Borough Council and represents the Derbyshire village of Burbage, where one of the first known UK cases of Coronavirus was confirmed. Burbage primary school and a nearby medical centre were temporarily closed after a parent tested positive for the virus on 27 February, when just 15 cases had been confirmed in the UK.

She added: “We could follow the World Health Organisation’s advice and stop this now but the government’s chosen not to. Our prime minister has just said to us ‘your loved ones are going to die’ and that’s not okay. It’s abhorrent. It’s a crime against our country. We have the measures and capabilities to prevent this.

“I’m not trying to be an alarmist but the World Health Organisation has set very comprehensive guidance and we’re not following it.”
250,000 deaths of the poorest and most vulnerable: necessary and proportionate.
400,000 deaths of the oldest but across class lines: a crime against humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I'm living off 4G until an engineer comes out to determine that yes, there is a fiber connection already here...