Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Rad-daddio posted:

its just the flu bro yall need to calm down and try some essential oils

I actually hope it's Corona, because he spent most of the week working on issues for executives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime, that's why I don't wash my hands on company time

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Drink more maybe

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Let me guess: Aid funding in exchange for money for that stupid wall.

Nancy is threatening to sneeze on everyone.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Re-link the 3M respirator please

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The legendary king posted an update.
https://twitter.com/hebeipangzai/status/1238121992642899969
At this point I suspect he's working for the Chinese government. At one point he didn't post anything for a little over a month and i do believe he was talking with officials during that time. Then he started posting videos of how loving cool it is to be a Chinese dirt farmer. It's the perfect propaganda for us Westerners.
With that said, he's still cool as hell and keeps downing that booze like a boss.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
So can anyone do a list or simplify what we have learned from this thread?

Brimstone Inquiry
Jan 21, 2007

Boomers are calming down? Can't have THAT.

So.

Coronavirus is like vampires, unable to stand much sun (and heat?), which is good. But now it has to have somewhere to hide.

Like, say, the plump body of a mosquito, which, coincidentally, is also a bloodsucker. And with the mildest winter to date ending and it basically being Spring already, there will be soooo many of them.

Now I'm not saying to hoard cans of OFF or anything, but maybe it wouldn't hurt to get the deets on some DEET.

Until then, two questions:

1. Can mosquito carry and pass on COVID-19?

2. If yes, does humanity have the capability to drive mosquitoes to extinction for the good of mankind?

3. If no, does humanity have the capability to drive mosquitoes to extinction because gently caress mosquitoes anyway I mean come ON people we don't even need those things and also

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/13/trump-will-hold-a-press-conference-at-3-pm-et-to-discuss-coronavirus-response.html

National emergency incoming

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Cthulu Carl posted:

Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime, that's why I don't wash my hands on company time

Boss works from home
I catch Corona
That's why I poo poo
Before I hit quota

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Reminds me of Weinstien and his walker.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Brimstone Inquiry posted:

3. If no, does humanity have the capability to drive mosquitoes to extinction because gently caress mosquitoes anyway I mean come ON people we don't even need those things and also

Not the last time we tried.

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000

Philthy posted:

I dunno if you're in the US or not, but it feels like this here because it hasn't really begun yet, and the deaths that have happened have been low enough that they haven't been felt.

The stores here pretty much sold out yesterday. TP, Water, Paper towels all gone. 2/3 food gone.

I think people have it in their mind expecting that people will be falling over dead on the streets like we were seeing in China and we haven't quite hit that point yet so it's "no big deal". We're only at 1700+ confirmed infections. Once we hit 50k+ I think the smug poo poo will be gone.

Yeah the next couple of weeks will be interesting. If we start filling hospitals with pneumonia cases then poo poo stays real...otherwise I guess its GG next map.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

i wonder when he is going to cancel the election and declare himself president until the crisis is over

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Rutibex posted:

most people are likely thinking "i cant afford to be home from work unpaid for a month" and their brain just comes up with a reasonable way to justify that stance.

i can understand the money angle 100%. what im having a hard time understanding is why my school is still sending students into hospitals dealing with this outbreak. am i missing something? is this like an important time to learn about infectious disease, is this going to be on the test?

our program director told us to 'just dont get sick' when explaining the absence policy.

Healthy Nut Snack
Mar 23, 2016
was really worried about this coronavirus deal, but my boss had a meeting this morning to say “ackshually pneumonia kills more people, they’re testing 6,000 people a day, it’ll be over in a week.” So I guess it’s going to be just fine

He also reminded us how fortune we are not to be closing down

:thermidor:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Healthy Nut Snack posted:

was really worried about this coronavirus deal, but my boss had a meeting this morning to say “ackshually pneumonia kills more people, they’re testing 6,000 people a day, it’ll be over in a week.” So I guess it’s going to be just fine

He also reminded us how fortune we are not to be closing down

:thermidor:

write '"it'll all be over in a week" - boss's name' up on a whiteboard and see if it's still there in two weeks

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Picnic Princess posted:

So if coronavirus is just the cold that means I can put bath salts on my beans, correct? Salt is salt!
Are they the kind of bath salts that make people buy pianos on eBay? If so, I would suggest against it, as piano delivery companies will be understaffed for the foreseeable future.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I had to tell my manager earlier that “novel coronavirus” is not capitalized.

Now the loving president is making up “CoronaVirus”

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
when it comes to novel viruses this is more of a libretto

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hazo posted:

I had to tell my manager earlier that “novel coronavirus” is not capitalized.

Now the loving president is making up “CoronaVirus”

A week ago he was calling it the "corona flu", he's making progress!

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

whats up with everyone refusing to worry about this because it only affects 'immunocompromised' people? bitch if you live in the US i bet you havn't even been to a gp in 12 months, how the gently caress could you possibly know the condition of your immune system.

the few people I have tried to educate on whats happening now quickly tell me not to freak out, relax, and try to get my mind off it.

pretty sure gps don’t routinely check your neutrophil count dude.

tbh if you are healthy and young I get why you aren’t just automatically quarantining right now.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Philthy posted:

I dunno if you're in the US or not, but it feels like this here because it hasn't really begun yet, and the deaths that have happened have been low enough that they haven't been felt.

The stores here pretty much sold out yesterday. TP, Water, Paper towels all gone. 2/3 food gone.

I think people have it in their mind expecting that people will be falling over dead on the streets like we were seeing in China and we haven't quite hit that point yet so it's "no big deal". We're only at 1700+ confirmed infections. Once we hit 50k+ I think the smug poo poo will be gone.

It wont be long before everybody knows someone who has lost someone at the very least. That's so grim to think about, but I think it'll happen in a blink.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
i don't think i've had to wear pants more than once in the last two weeks. the apocalypse is pretty great

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

have there been any timelapse charts or maps made by anyone to show how it's progressed to this point worldwide?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A week ago he was calling it the "corona flu", he's making progress!

It’s gonna suck when someone points this out, along with the fact that he said it’ll blow over without affecting us, only to have him fly into a tantrum about being unfairly attacked by the evil libs and media always using his “words” and “quotes” just because he “said them”

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Drove by the chicago costco...parking lot all full, all lot lanes not moving, people parked out on the main roads (clybourne and diversey) blocking all normal traffic.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

hobbez posted:

pretty sure gps don’t routinely check your neutrophil count dude.

tbh if you are healthy and young I get why you aren’t just automatically quarantining right now.

youve been going to the wrong gp.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

A Grand Egg posted:

So can anyone do a list or simplify what we have learned from this thread?

1. Beans.
2. Self-isolation is good and practice it.
3. Trump is loving incompetent in a way that will kill many people.
4. Beans.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Brimstone Inquiry posted:

Boomers are calming down? Can't have THAT.

So.

Coronavirus is like vampires, unable to stand much sun (and heat?), which is good. But now it has to have somewhere to hide.

Like, say, the plump body of a mosquito, which, coincidentally, is also a bloodsucker. And with the mildest winter to date ending and it basically being Spring already, there will be soooo many of them.

Now I'm not saying to hoard cans of OFF or anything, but maybe it wouldn't hurt to get the deets on some DEET.

Until then, two questions:

1. Can mosquito carry and pass on COVID-19?

2. If yes, does humanity have the capability to drive mosquitoes to extinction for the good of mankind?

Not sure if joke post but afaik coronaviruses are not vector borne. Just direct contact, aerosol and fecal-oral. So we would expect this virus to be the same as other coronaviruses

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Arsenic Lupin posted:

1. Beans.
2. Self-isolation is good and practice it.
3. Trump is loving incompetent in a way that will kill many people.
4. Beans.

Stuck inside with lots of beans eh? Let the fart sniffing begin

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Walrus posted:

just got the email, working from home for the next three weeks minimum this really feels surreal. the wind is kicking up a fuss outside right now if things didn't feel apocalyptic enough.

Would you say that the whirlwind is in the thorn trees?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Fenarisk posted:

Drove by the chicago costco...parking lot all full, all lot lanes not moving, people parked out on the main roads (clybourne and diversey) blocking all normal traffic.

Costco near me in Connecticut, the line into the parking lot stretched back about a half mile down the road and up a highway exit ramp.

Two minutes away was a Stop & Shop still stocked with almost everything except certain brands of toilet paper.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

that johns hopkins map is still getting hosed up. now the california and florida cases are missing (and probably some others) so it looks like the case amount dropped by ~450

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Still no plans to allow work from home or to shut anything down. Guess that makes sad sense. If we shut down many cars stop working.

Thankfully I have allergies and am sneezing up a storm so everyone is avoiding me even more than usual. Still kind of depressing being thought of as Patient 0. I was going to look into getting allergy shots this summer to get rid of 1 to 2 months of popping Benadryl and sneezing uncontrollably while occasionally trying to cough up a lung. Probably irresponsible to do that now.

I also have a couple of older people I know through church in my neighborhood I try to look after. Ironically they need it most but it is more dangerous for me to try to help. Gotta stick to texting.

Realized I was low on pet food and ordered a bunch of it. Hope nothing keeps it from getting here.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

There Bias Two posted:

It's not valid to a layperson who has no training for proper use and disposal of PPE. Doctors and nurses need these more.

Smugly suggesting that people can't put a thing on their face and not immediately lick a doorknob really isn't helping.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

unpacked robinhood posted:

Smugly suggesting that people can't put a thing on their face and not immediately lick a doorknob really isn't helping.

It is probably more being unaware when they have to dispose of it and put on a new one. Someone is out there wearing a face mask for the 15th day in a row.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Cthulu Carl posted:

I actually hope it's Corona, because he spent most of the week working on issues for executives.

Corona and Kirkland Sig lite lager were the only beers left at Costco, I wish I took a picture.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

youve been going to the wrong gp.

Maybe but it's unlikely you're immunosuppressed and just have no idea about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I had beans and rice last night and good god it did a number on my gut. Maybe this is why everyone is stocking up on toilet paper?