Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Freudian slippers posted:

Thanks. The reason I ask, is that I'm envisioning a character who fled from Skovland during the war and spent some time in refugee camps on the way to Doskvol. I'd like to find a way to make that work with the setting. Maybe Skovland itself wasn't that plagued with ghosts and setting foot outside the city wasn't that dangerous?

In my campaign, I decided that Skovland's shamanistic traditions resulted in a much more effective means of drawing ghosts to arrays of standing stones, which was breaking down under Imperial occupation. But that'd allow for the kind of thing you're considering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Yeah, it can go from "People who took the train/boat after their city got invaded and put into martial law" to "Trail of Tears, now with ghosts".

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I treated the deathland scavengers as being the same as the Stalkers from Roadside Picnic and the Stalker series; superstitious, cautious, careful, and very Eastern European. Hidey-Ho Bro!

Roadside Picnic posted:

That's the Zone for you: come back with swag, a miracle; come back alive, success; come back with a patrol bullet in your rear end, good luck; and everything else - that's fate.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm sure I'll be able to cook up something!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The level of ambient ghosts and other hostile monsters seems to vary by region like...

Wrr posted:

I think the book mentions a nomadic tribe in the deathlands with ghost-eating horses at the very least, so I'd say there a lot of room for folk-lore based protections.

This is all of Severos. That nation is described as largely not having cities with lighting barriers and most Severosi living in nomadic tribes or taking over ancient arcane fortresses. The Dagger Isles has some population who live in the Deathland jungles, too. U'Duasha in Iruvia has a special quality to it that keeps its active ghost population so low that the Empire only keeps one Spirit Warden there for formality's sake.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Nuns with Guns posted:

The level of ambient ghosts and other hostile monsters seems to vary by region like...

This is all of Severos. That nation is described as largely not having cities with lighting barriers and most Severosi living in nomadic tribes or taking over ancient arcane fortresses. The Dagger Isles has some population who live in the Deathland jungles, too. U'Duasha in Iruvia has a special quality to it that keeps its active ghost population so low that the Empire only keeps one Spirit Warden there for formality's sake.

Specifically that the ever burning fire at the center of the city gobbles up ghosts. The people who live close to it have their ghosts obliterated before they hit the ground.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Gorefiend posted:

Specifically that the ever burning fire at the center of the city gobbles up ghosts. The people who live close to it have their ghosts obliterated before they hit the ground.

They also have really cheap heating bills.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Stupid newbie question coming up:

My crew (tier 0 assassins) decided to have one expert cohort. He's kind of a doctor/leech kind of guy. I suppose his niche would be better defined if we had a better grasp on the Expert mechanics.

Exactly what can they use him for and how would they use him?

For instance:
Can he make poison (better than what they could acquire in downtime)?
How would they go about to have him heal them?
Can he make equipment for them/just how broad is his area of expertise?

Could they send him on a non-leech like mission (i.e. convince Bazo to like us more) with a reasonable chance of success?

I realize that you could probably answer this with "It's up to you and your players" but I'd really like some input on how you'd play it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I know for healing for instance, having him is what unlocks your ability to heal at all, because you need to know a doctor to heal. If you want good healing someone in the party needs that move. Same with poison. He can be how you explain having access to a poisonsmith, but under the rules you need a move on a party member.

That being said, just do whatever you feel like. Even if you have him open up good healing, as long as the group is down just do it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Freudian slippers posted:

Stupid newbie question coming up:

My crew (tier 0 assassins) decided to have one expert cohort. He's kind of a doctor/leech kind of guy. I suppose his niche would be better defined if we had a better grasp on the Expert mechanics.

Exactly what can they use him for and how would they use him?

For instance:
Can he make poison (better than what they could acquire in downtime)?
How would they go about to have him heal them?
Can he make equipment for them/just how broad is his area of expertise?

Could they send him on a non-leech like mission (i.e. convince Bazo to like us more) with a reasonable chance of success?

I realize that you could probably answer this with "It's up to you and your players" but I'd really like some input on how you'd play it.

If they want to do that stuff using him, have them take the smuggler's special ability 'All hands' that lets crew cohorts take their own downtime actions.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 8, 2020

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. We'll see what they come up with next session.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Hey thread. I did an experiment yesterday that might be great for GMs of BitD and clones especially, though it's good in other games, too.

Recently I've been playing Pathologic 2. Great game, but stressful, so sometimes you don't want to play it for a few days and you end up forgetting what happened. In a story heavy game where the point is to make hard decisions about an interconnected city under time pressure, this would be a problem.

Except that it empowers your decision making process by having the best journal system I've ever seen:

A mind map.

Everything is circles, interconnected when they have a significant impact on something. As you discover things, they get updated; the information is presented in pictograms. Hovering over them gives you a sentence summary of what the thought is about. Large circles denote significant things, circles that are smaller denote less significant things. The main plot is to the center, while side plots are to the side. In addition, the 'directionality' of implied circles is a deliberate spoiler, a hint where to look for more information. 'Unknown' circles sometimes pop up for the same reason. And, finally, which made me get the eureka moment: when a 'quest' has you do multiple things, like say heal 4 people, it fills up in quarters or whatever the ratio of it you already did. Like a Blades clock!

(Read more about the design of this in this excellent article: https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/OlegNesterenko/20190814/348676/Pathologic_2_Mindmap_a_Questlog_People_Actually_Read.php)

My players got into a plot where they are hearing rumours of the City Council frictions. In addition, they are also embedded in a labor dispute in Coalridge. I decided to connect those two plots using Dunvils and Penderyns, so they can play the situation to their liking - maybe help the rich fucks, or maybe help the probably losing unions. Finally, to segue into the next 'season' once they rise in tier, I want to introduce the leviathan shortage plot in the background and have this be the thing City Council is squabbling over. While the scores themselves are pretty simple, this is a pretty interconnected situation with a few clocks and I was struggling to present those clocks to my players, especially making the leviathan clock both 'scary' and 'important' while having what it counts down be secret for now.

Yesterday, after a month of break, refreshing this situation would be difficult in my usual form (a in-universe prop, like a newspaper, or a map or wanted poster...) and I decided to crib the idea from pathologic and use a mind map, but make some of the circles clocks. Here's what we managed to make on the spot with my players, please ignore my terrible pictograms, I suck at drawing under time pressure:

So, what do I think about this experiment? Successful, overall. I had a great mix of players for this - 2 literal and 2 visual thinkers.

Pros:
  • Visual thinkers caught on instantly, and were more active than usual
  • Literal thinkers caught on after maybe 20 minutes, and used this when making plans too
  • This is a good record for me, letting me remember the sesh
  • Enabled the players to make a complex decision decisively
  • 'Spoiler' connections/empty circles made my players do interesting gather information rolls without me giving extra hints
  • Big clock got the intrigued reaction I wanted, even a little foreboding
  • Players made an effort to meet more npcs now that they knew what the connections were
  • The act of updating the map (adding/erasing/changing nodes and connections) gave feedback that my players were progressing, a nice reward loop that seemed to work on our primate brains
  • Presenting multiple clocks works perfectly with this, better than separate index cards

Cons:
  • It was an experiment, which meant I changed a few things during this. It made it confusing a time or two. I recommend having a better idea what you want to present before you do it, rather than flying by the seat of your pants.
  • Literal thinkers wanted a bit more text. I think writing under all circles should be default, same as you would on an index card with a clock. This means fewer circles.
  • Literal thinkers needed time to adjust to the presentation.
  • Pictograms are cool, but get in the way of clocks. I tried to not shade the clocks to present the pictograms, but that just looks confusing. Just fill out the clock covering the pictogram and write what it us under it in addition to the pictogram.
  • The legend was inconsistent, I think you really need to stick to "dashed = unknown, solid = known"
  • The graph says very little about what certain people think of certain people, not sure how to present whether people are allies or enemies yet
  • I loving suck at drawing, and I think it could pay to let the players draw the pictures themselves even if I was good at it

I'll redraw the map today to make it more consistent, and overall I think this went amazing for an experiment. Will definitely continue using it next session.

What do you guys think?

e; As far as feedback I got later, the visual thinkers loving loved it. The literal thinkers mainly wanted more text underneath, less focus on pictograms, and a clear definition of what a 'connection' means. Perhaps adding color (blue for helpful connections, red for adversarial?) might be a good idea, too.

Also, I think this will really work well with long-term consequences, just draw them to the side somewhere.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Feb 14, 2020

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I think this is really, really smart, and I'd like to try something like it. I also think that just the idea of placing something on the map makes it far more important than it would otherwise be. By adding some statements, facts, or ideas to the map it implies that they are connected to preexisting and future concepts, and I'd bet the players will start brainstorming what those connections may be. This, of course, translates to free ideas for the GM and lets the players control the direction of the story. Maybe without them even knowing it, which is maybe the best way.

I'd have to spend some time adapting it for my own games since I play online using Roll20. Without the map in front of everyone at all times the information can get lost and forgotten easily, and even if I make the default roll20 screen the map it is still likely to obscured by other screens on my player's small laptop screens. Something for me to think about I guess.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I can't see a diagram like this without thinking "Graphviz", so now I have to figure out how to do clocks in Graphviz.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Also, Outer Wilds has a really fantastic implementation of this concept of information organization.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Hey do people talk about Band of Blades here or is there a separate thread for "Forged in the Dark" games?

I have not actually played Blades in the Dark but am looking to possibly run Band of Blades. If there's another thread for it then I'll just ask some questions there.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Hey do people talk about Band of Blades here or is there a separate thread for "Forged in the Dark" games?

I have not actually played Blades in the Dark but am looking to possibly run Band of Blades. If there's another thread for it then I'll just ask some questions there.

This thread is slow enough that it is fine. It is definitely always been a game I have wanted to try

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
So I'm in an improv troupe that's an improvised Firefly show. Our director is out of town this week, so for practice tomorrow I'm going to run a game of Scum & Villainy. Most of my troupe-mates have at least played DnD or Dungeon World before, none have played a FitD game. I've played vanilla Blades, but never run it or S&V. Are there any best practices I should know about or pitfalls to avoid, both in running a FitD game in general, or for S&V in particular? I know I'm going to have to throw out or hack together most of the setting fluff and whatnot on the fly, but I'm pretty confident that I can do that and the crew can roll with it. Any advice is appreciated, I haven't run anything in a little more than a year now, so I'm a bit nervous.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Do it. I ran a three-shot of Band of Blades. Was fun, but requires a little more prep than your average Blades scenario.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I can't see a diagram like this without thinking "Graphviz", so now I have to figure out how to do clocks in Graphviz.

If anyone else is curious, it turns out that you can sort of do clocks in Graphviz natively, using the "wedged" style, but it currently starts from a horizontal rather than vertical reference point. You just create a circle with fill type wedged and then specify a color for each slice you want. This is a six-tick clock with one tick filled:

style="wedged" fillcolor="white:white:white:white:white:snow3"

If you aren't familiar with Graphviz, it lets you describe what you want in a simple text file, and then run a program that converts it to a graph. I love it because I hate drawing and would rather let the program do the work.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

tokenbrownguy posted:

Do it. I ran a three-shot of Band of Blades. Was fun, but requires a little more prep than your average Blades scenario.

I'm not too far into the book right now, I personally haven't played blades in the dark yet so I'm still trying to wrap my head around the actual mechanics. Are there any common pitfalls that could easily be avoided, I'm thinking specifically around the position/effect spectrum, and how clocks work maybe? I'll probably have more pointed questions once I actually get closer to finishing this book, it's quite large.

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

Slightly Lions posted:

So I'm in an improv troupe that's an improvised Firefly show. Our director is out of town this week, so for practice tomorrow I'm going to run a game of Scum & Villainy. Most of my troupe-mates have at least played DnD or Dungeon World before, none have played a FitD game. I've played vanilla Blades, but never run it or S&V. Are there any best practices I should know about or pitfalls to avoid, both in running a FitD game in general, or for S&V in particular? I know I'm going to have to throw out or hack together most of the setting fluff and whatnot on the fly, but I'm pretty confident that I can do that and the crew can roll with it. Any advice is appreciated, I haven't run anything in a little more than a year now, so I'm a bit nervous.

So what I’ve noticed from running S&V for a while is that players have to be prompted into using things that boost their rolls. Pushes, Gambits, and Assists are pretty easy (“Hey, you have ways to get more dice”). Resistance rolls are similar, but they can be so swingy that often players are right to just take the consequences. I think I can count the number of times my players have used flashbacks on one hand, which is a bummer because they’re one of my favorite mechanics. Thinking outside of a linear timeline is hard. Also let your players Gather Info freely.

From a GMing perspective, BitD lives and dies by how interesting and creative your consequences and Devil’s Bargains are. Remember to be fiction first in these parts. Consequences also let you dial the grit up and down. Harm is bad, getting shot is really debilitating, and players should know that. Having some kind of threat clock ticking down instead of throwing out Harm gives a more swashbuckling, push your luck feel. Position is a really important mechanic for the GM to define the consequences of a situation, but I’ve found effect to be a lot more wingable. Two segments per success, and +/- 1 depending on the fiction.

At a higher level, I’d approach the adventure as made about four scenes, each of which has a clock which requires about three successes to complete. Big clocks, or clocks where players have reduced effect, can really stall the pacing, which is something you want to avoid.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I'm not too far into the book right now, I personally haven't played blades in the dark yet so I'm still trying to wrap my head around the actual mechanics. Are there any common pitfalls that could easily be avoided, I'm thinking specifically around the position/effect spectrum, and how clocks work maybe? I'll probably have more pointed questions once I actually get closer to finishing this book, it's quite large.

Yeah! I'll try and keep this brief, because it's really better to experience in practice and review a few interactions or examples you feel didn't go smoothly, rather than just have internet folks post walls of text. If you want walls, I got you tho.

First off, clocks. Clocks are definitely the most abstract and personal elements of MC'ing. I generally use them for two purposes: Visualizing an interaction for my players, or keeping track of an interaction's progression in my notes (generally something spoil-y that I want to keep myself honest on.)

In either case, avoid making super long clocks that take forever to finish. For example, instead of a 16 part "blow the bridge" clock, break that into 3-4 smaller, "climb under the bridge", "set the charge and fuse", "get the hell out of there" clocks. Each can have their own consequences and the focus helps players key off of specific skills. Blades should be cinematic, and finishing clocks fast feels good and well paced.

Next, beware clocks that are hard to interact with. If you're holding a clock like "big bad shoots the commander" over your player's heads, they drat well need to be able to do something about it. Due to the position / effect, it might be hard, or come with consequences, but players should still have a chance at doing something. Dueling clocks are my favorite, they're straightforward, and easily visualize where the players are vs. the baddies, without the two crossing over each other directly.

Second, position / effect. The bit that gets most easy with practice. Try to frame the p/e decision as a question: "Okay, so you're trying to 360-no scope the bomb under the bridge, while being carried on your comrade's back, 300 feet away, in the pouring rain. Yikes, this a terrible position, but a bullet's a bullet and if you hit it the bomb goes off. How does desperate / standard sound?" Blades-likes are all about the conversation. If your players make a convincing argument, feel free to bump around the call. You get to do this all the time, so there's always another roll to make up for an earlier off-call. You'll know you're on track when your players are more comfortable accepting your initial judgement. Its a good feeling when their fictional expectations line up with yours.

Finally, on position / effect, be ruthless and be consistent. Blades protagonists are ridiculously durable. Band of Blades protagonists, less so, but the whole point is horror-war porn, so when something is out of the PC's league, the best way you can convey that is with punishing effect. Feel free to kick the crap out of them. If a thing should be difficult, take time, or require a lot of resources, don't hesitate to push for limited effect on an action role. Conversely, if a PC is in a great position, or has gambled a big expenditure of resources, don't hesitate to say they have great effect. Use clocks to break something down to a granular level where limited effect could be tracked (for example a health-clock for a scary monster.)

tokenbrownguy fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 5, 2020

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Something importsnt to think about is clock length is two things. First, longer clocks are harder and rain more resources, and similarly the longer your mission is the more they'll be drained and hurt.

Secondly, and more importantly, clocks are how much narrative focus you want on an event or challenge. The more steps, the more focus. If you want to blow past something, make it a very short clock or just oneroll. Conversely, an 8 step clock can be the focus of a scene or longer depending on how many chances to tick it there are.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

tokenbrownguy posted:

Finally, on position / effect, be ruthless and be consistent. Blades protagonists are ridiculously durable. Band of Blades protagonists, less so, but the whole point is horror-war porn, so when something is out of the PC's league, the best way you can convey that is with punishing effect. Feel free to kick the crap out of them. If a thing should be difficult, take time, or require a lot of resources, don't hesitate to push for limited effect on an action role. Conversely, if a PC is in a great position, or has gambled a big expenditure of resources, don't hesitate to say they have great effect. Use clocks to break something down to a granular level where limited effect could be tracked (for example a health-clock for a scary monster.)

Out of curiosity, where would Scum & Villainy protagonists sit on this durability scale?

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!

SkySteak posted:

Out of curiosity, where would Scum & Villainy protagonists sit on this durability scale?

I've been reading through the S&V rules the past few days, and I can tell that my read has them significantly more resilient than vanilla Blades. Downtime healing is more effective and easier to come by (thought the healing clock is longer) and gambits provide a way to get bonus dice without accruing stress.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

SkySteak posted:

Even more durable then Blades. You've got the same basic stress / resistance / special abilities, plus gambits and a compressed skill spread that means folks get more for less. In the Scum & Villainy campaign we played, my read as a player was that after we hit 3/4 resistance dice on the physical track combat consequences start becoming negligible.

The takeaway is that you should feel free to bring the hammer down on your PCs at pretty much any level. They'll be fine. Also, try to push hard on social and mental consequences so folks who just stacked physical resistance still have to scramble.

tokenbrownguy fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 5, 2020

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Alright I've spent the last week finishing reading through the book and now I'm kind of going back through it a bit to make sure I understand some things I missed.

1. I'm looking at the playbooks right now, I love that each role and character sheet comes with mostly all the upfront rules you'd need to know. There's some stuff on there that's confusing to me though. I noticed all of the actions have 4 slots available to them to presumably level up to +4, however I'm unsure why 3 of the 4 seem to be partially shaded in already? Does this imply something that I've missed?

2. There also seems to be 2 +1 resist boxes next to them. I assume there are ways to improve individual resists and these are there to account for that?

Those are the 2 questions about hard mechanics on my mind. But I also have another which is probably more open ended.

3. There's a note to earn XP when you play up your trauma which is a nice touch, it gives some nice roleplaying fuel while encouraging people to do it, but no so much that you're forced to. But how exactly is blight supposed to be played with? It's never mentioned that you would earn XP to play up your corruption, is it implied that you should? Are there any other mechanics to blights that I might have missed (other than effectively losing the character at level 4)?

4. Since I haven't really run the game yet I'm a little lost on how to work effect level into some results. I totally get applying effect towards a clock, it's pretty obvious when it's +1/+2/+3 ticks towards a goal. But what about when an action is taken that has a binary outcome (You did it / you didn't do it), like jumping over a ledge, or sneaking across the road? What if we determined that your roll will have limited effect (through in game modifiers of some sort) and you succeed? I totally get that if there's a consequence on a 4/5 roll you could do something like "You slip and are hanging off the edge" or "someone might have saw you cross and are suspicious". But assuming there's no consequence then how does the limited (or great) effect here come into play?

5. I'm about to do a search for this myself but if anyone has any good Long Term Project ideas I'd love to hear them (and what you ruled the cost and effect ended up being). There were a few examples in the book, but I figure it might be easier to rule out the cost of a project a bit better if I had some more examples to go off of.

I'm really liking the thought of running this, I've just never really run something with pretty loose and fast mechanics like this before. Thanks in advance!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
It's just there to remind you that you can't get can't get 4 dots in a skill without taking the special ability 'Elite'. You were spot on with your assumption with number 2. For instance the, 'Like the Wind' special ability for Scouts gives +1 Prowess resist.

I'd say it's up to you. There's no reason you couldn't use it as an xp trigger and makes sense with the general philosophy of FitD games that your characters are stolen cars. Burning a candle at both ends to make a character advance faster.

Depends on the reason it's being considered limited effect. Figure out what's making you consider the effect lowered and then work from there to find out how it could hinder them. Or get ahead of it and prompt them to figure out ways to raise it to standard. Is it so large a pit that jumping across is unlikely to work? Consider dropping it to desperate as well as limited. Then ask if they have tools (like climbing equipment) that could help. The solution fits the problem so raise it back up to risky standard. If they did decide to go with jumping though, there's no reason a 6 can't be making it to the other side but now they're holding on for dear life to the ledge, with a 4/5 just giving them harm for smacking their head into the ledge too. For great effect or crits on a pass/fail type test it's a bit easier, just think of something else that could help them and makes sense with the fiction the way you would if they roll a 4 or 5. 'They pick the lock and get through the door in the nick of time just as a patrolling crow silently rushes into the corridor, finding nothing there they fly off and restart their patrol' then remove an enemy from their next fight.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 13, 2020

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Thanks for the response! It helps out to think about these scenarios in advance.

I was reading this post which also had a link to a downloadable position/effect cheat sheet, https://www.indiegamereadingclub.com/indie-game-reading-club/band-of-blades-position-effect-cheat-sheet/.

Which really does help to define quite a bit of the variation. One thing I'm not entirely sure if it got right though is for position factors, it mentions threat and scale difference. Which I'm not sure is entirely correct. I feel like while threat and scale difference could mean something in the fiction, I don't think it would necessarily also shift the position. As I understand it, threat and scale difference apply directly in calculating harm from consequences. That would mean it has twice the effect on harm if it were to also affect your position.

Am I wrong here? I thought scale and threat only applied directly to effect and harm, not position as well.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Thanks for the response! It helps out to think about these scenarios in advance.

I was reading this post which also had a link to a downloadable position/effect cheat sheet, https://www.indiegamereadingclub.com/indie-game-reading-club/band-of-blades-position-effect-cheat-sheet/.

Which really does help to define quite a bit of the variation. One thing I'm not entirely sure if it got right though is for position factors, it mentions threat and scale difference. Which I'm not sure is entirely correct. I feel like while threat and scale difference could mean something in the fiction, I don't think it would necessarily also shift the position. As I understand it, threat and scale difference apply directly in calculating harm from consequences. That would mean it has twice the effect on harm if it were to also affect your position.

Am I wrong here? I thought scale and threat only applied directly to effect and harm, not position as well.

Nah, they can apply to both--position dictates how much risk you're exposed to, while effect dictates how much of your goal you can reasonably accomplish with one action. Getting into a fistfight with a dozen bravos is both Risky (because 12 goons can beat the poo poo out of one person pretty easily) and limited effect (because it's highly unlikely that one person in a fistfight can do appreciable harm to 12 people). The same principle applies to going up against a single super dangerous opponents, like a demon or Lord Scurlock.

EDIT: obviously, this is somewhat subjective, and will vary from group to group depending on the overall tone of the game. Maybe your game is a more High action Kung Fu Adventure, where one badass can easily take on 12 Mooks and wipe the floor with them. That's fine! That's part of the conversation the table should have about what feeling they want out of their game.

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 13, 2020

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

How about downtime and healing? It says each soldier gets to check off 1 box when doing to healing campaign action, and then to erase the row once it's filled. But what if they have multiple injuries on different rows? Will it just take longer? I'm only asking because the Marshal's sheet only has 3 boxes for wounds, when 3 boxes is just the worst injury you could have. I assumed the Marshal would just use his sheet to keep track of wounds but it won't work if they have multiple injuries on different rows right?

Another question I have relates to Shreya, just as an example of what could happen. It says that she won't tolerate any amount of corruption and that legionnaires would have to hide it from her. Is it expected that this should happen during a mission? Would it happen at a back to camp scene (should die rolls even happen there or is it just a scene to rollplay?). Would I need to make each character who has corruption make a roll to make sure they don't get caught and killed by Shreya?

I realize that this could play out in tons of ways, but was there a way this is intended to play out? It kind of seems like the penalty of death for even a small amount of corruption seems very unfair, but maybe some groups are ok with that?

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

As for wounds, that's a good question. I'd ignore what the book says and do it like this: Each soldier box on the marshal sheet corresponds to a single row on the character sheet. (e.g. box 1 = tier 1 wounds, box 3 = tier 3, etc...). At the end of every session, the marshal should mark ticks equal to the tier of wounds (not number of wounds in category) taken in each column on their marshal sheet. So if a Medic took two tier 1 wounds, one tier 2 wound, and a tier 3 wound, they'd have one hashmark in the first box, two in the second, and three in the third. When a campaign action removes a tick, you pick which tier to erase one tick from—if all the ticks from a category are removed, then you grab the character sheet and erase that tier's wounds. That way you don't have to go character by character and ticking healing boxes, though that is the intended design.

And you're correct, it'll take a long time if someone is real banged up. Vanilla Blades bumps the whole wound chart down by one tier after healing, which adds to Vanilla characters being rough and tumble protagonists. BoB soldiers are much more fragile and hard to heal. Mercies are pretty dope tho.

As for Shreya, yeah, that one stuck out to me as well. I think it could happen in any of the examples you listed, and I'd play it as harsh as you'd like—though I wouldn't ask my players to make random roles to see if a character survives. Think of it as just another consequence to add to any of the possible outcomes of a partial success or failure for any role.

A PURGE could happen on a mission if a soldier was splashed with nasty amounts of corruption (and died mechanically, but you want the player to stay in session and there's no recruits left) in the presence of Shreya. A PURGE could also happen as an additional or alternate consequence of running out of food or morale (in lieu of a morale penalty or desertion respectively). A PURGE could also happen because your sniper has near maxed stress, major wounds, oh, and a third baby arm on their chest and the players want to put her out of her misery.

If you're concerned it'll gently caress with your players unfairly, that's totally, reasonable. Have a conversation about when she should start showing up and getting purge-y.

Also, I promise I'll write up some of my long-term projects from Blades soon, as examples.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
At no point should you be asking players to make random rolls, least of all random rolls to determine if a character randomly dies or not. Shreya not tolerating any corruption exists as a potential consequence for failed rolls and a way to shape the feel of your Shreya campaign to match her beliefs.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

I figured as much, I was just trying to figure out how I would be expected to incorporate Shreya's agenda. The other 2 don't have anything nearly as consequential .

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Another small question, for the first 5 specialists that get created, they won't have any assigned soldier abilities (or GRIT) with they? Meaning the starting specialists wouldn't be as strong as a specialist that gets promoted all the way from Rookie through Soldier right?

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Correct. The soldier bonuses are a perk for "raising" a character the difficult way.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Just reading through some of the quartermaster stuff. From the book:

quote:

Alchemists can cure arcane diseases and make alchemicals for the Legion. The GM says if this is an Acquire Asset or an alchemical Long-Term Project, but this action is in addition to your regular campaign actions.

Does this mean it doesn't cost a campaign action to use alchemists each campaign phase?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Just reading through some of the quartermaster stuff. From the book:

Does this mean it doesn't cost a campaign action to use alchemists each campaign phase?

Explicitly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
How do alchemist's deal with Shreya given their work is inherently corruptive?