Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/ryandroyd/status/1238219973165592576?s=20

Ryan is not the idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/Boy1010Tory/status/1238244705164500992
https://twitter.com/Boy1010Tory/status/1238245816214708225
https://twitter.com/Boy1010Tory/status/1238246222449827843

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

He’s a medical professional not a capitalist professional.

This is also why you don’t listen to doctors outside what they studied for

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

Bernie Sanders went on Joe Rogan so Medicare for all must be bullshit.

Joe Rogan's only real problem is that he's utterly clueless. He's not a Nazi but he hasn't figured out that he needs to stop letting lovely people use his show as a platform, so he just lets everyone on as a guest regardless.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It's his show. I don't see why he should stop.

Frankly, airing the idiots makes it easier to identify them and pick apart their arguments. It incites discussion and catches the attention of intellectuals from opposing sides of the guest's specialty. In the ensuing critiques, you can learn more about the topic. It may even bring people over who wouldn't have previously thought that there was anything wrong with the way they were looking at things.

That only happens if you let them talk and draw criticism. Let people prove how crazy they really are.

Oh and I listened to the first 20min of the Osterholm interview on my way to work this morning. It's pretty good info. Highly recommend it.

The Ferret King has a new favorite as of 16:15 on Mar 13, 2020

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The Ferret King posted:

Frankly, airing the idiots makes it easier to identify them and pick apart their arguments. It incites discussion and catches the attention of intellectuals from opposing sides of the guest's specialty. In the ensuing critiques, you can learn more about the topic. It may even bring people over who wouldn't have previously thought that there was anything wrong with the way they were looking at things.

That only happens if you let them talk and draw criticism. Let people prove how crazy they really are.

It's better to NOT give fascists a platform, thanks

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Kit Walker posted:

It's better to NOT give fascists a platform, thanks

No, thank you.

I don't know who you're talking about.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Ferret King posted:

No, thank you.

I don't know who you're talking about.

Gavin McInnes has been on his show at least once.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"We should let fascists and racists have a platform so their ideas can be proven wrong! Nobody would ever believe their crazy propaganda!"

"Wait, what do you mean the people keep voting for them now?"

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
It's been proven time and again no matter how crazy the idea if it goes out to the public a certain percent will believe it. It's also been proven that once a person believes something and hears a counter argument it only entrenches their belief the vast majority of the time.

In short giving them a platform at all even if you discredit it actually hinders progress. I wish it wasn't that way but it's how humans operate.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

The Ferret King posted:

Oh and I listened to the first 20min of the Osterholm interview on my way to work this morning. It's pretty good info. Highly recommend it.

I've highlighted the part that doesn't happen. remember when he declined to press Andy Ngo on his obviously fictional brain bleed?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The Ferret King posted:

"Sunlight disinfects" stopped being a viable option when they realized that they could say the quiet parts really loud with no consequence. "Ha ha, what a maroon. Lemme get 'em with facts and logic and wait, why are you putting fascists in power, no, my critical analysis of your policies are supposed to- okay, yes, Mr. Miller, we will enact your Muslim ban."

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I just wanna clarify. We're saying that these people appearing on Rogan's podcast got them elected to something?

Darkhold posted:

It's been proven time and again no matter how crazy the idea if it goes out to the public a certain percent will believe it. It's also been proven that once a person believes something and hears a counter argument it only entrenches their belief the vast majority of the time.

In short giving them a platform at all even if you discredit it actually hinders progress. I wish it wasn't that way but it's how humans operate.

How do you reach those people?

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

The Ferret King posted:

You don't fight Nazis with words, you fight them with fists. Once they're on the ground, you can politely explain why they're dumb and wrong.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The Ferret King posted:

I just wanna clarify. We're saying that these people appearing on Rogan's podcast got them elected to something?

Joe Rogan has the most popular podcast/YouTube show on the planet, and putting fascist ideology on a loudspeaker and going "Huh, that's an interesting point and observation" will lead and has led to listeners going "Maybe they have a point."

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

d3lness posted:

You don't fight Nazis with words, you fight them with fists. Once they're on the ground, you can politely explain why they're dumb and wrong.

Wait, you've actually punched people?

Takoluka posted:

Joe Rogan has the most popular podcast/YouTube show on the planet, and putting fascist ideology on a loudspeaker and going "Huh, that's an interesting point and observation" will lead and has led to listeners going "Maybe they have a point."

I just think the totality of his content has done far more to spotlight progressive ideas than not. It seems like a net-gain to me. Not even close, it's big time exposure to progressive ideas to an audience that would probably not consider that stuff coming from anyone other than a dude-bro martial arts guy.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Skwirl posted:

I just started playing Fire Emblem: Three Houses and going through old posts on the thread came across this doozie.

For context Byleth is the main character, but none of their dialogue is voiced, so voicing them just consists of the sounds the characters make during combat, some grunts and yells and random exclamations like "All right" or "Let's go." The guy voicing the male version of the main character was accused of emotional abuse, admitted to it in a blog post and also admitted to violating an NDA he had with Nintendo in the process of abusing people.

Yeah, I remember when this whole shitshow went down. At the time, we were cracking jokes about how this retroactively made Niosi the perfect VA for Alex, the borderline incel protagonist of YIIK (aka :yiikes:)

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Takoluka posted:

"Sunlight disinfects" stopped being a viable option when they realized that they could say the quiet parts really loud with no consequence. "Ha ha, what a maroon. Lemme get 'em with facts and logic and wait, why are you putting fascists in power, no, my critical analysis of your policies are supposed to- okay, yes, Mr. Miller, we will enact your Muslim ban."

Historically, sunlight only stops fascists when bottled.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I had a dream once that I was hanging out with Indiana Jones, who had been transported to the present day, and we went to the mall and there was a little store that only sold Nazi paraphernalia and souvenirs, and when he saw the store Indy sighed and took off his whip and started whipping all the coffee mugs with swastikas and breaking them, and the three skinheads who ran it came running out and we got in a big fight just like in the movies

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
The only platform a Nazi deserves is the kind that gets kicked out from them as soon as the rope is tied around their neck.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

The Ferret King posted:

If they're small and only talking to their established audience you just ignore them. If they're a bit more savvy and dangerous you talk about what they're doing and how they're doing it. You bring them up as a topic and only give them a chance to comment on your statement/article.

If you really want to go at it you ignore their arguments and instead get meta and talk about how all these guys have the same rhetoric/recruitment strategy.

What you don't do is give them a debate stage as they'll all just Gish Gallop you and change topic constantly and you never ever give them room to monologue to a new audience.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

don't forget distributing counter-propaganda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGAqYNFQdZ4

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I got distracted by the next video on how to succeed with brunettes.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Speaking of not arguing in good faith

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1238129819348541440

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
More like The Sealion King.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
We dove into nonsequiter fever dreams about whip cracking archaeologists and punching Nazis. I thought we were done, my apologies.

You guys are smarter than me, you win!

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Joe Rogan had had fringe *right* people on. But he's never had a Dworkin feminist or a Zapatistas or anything. I do actually think there is merit in not trying to suppress viewpoints by deplatforming, but I'm always stuck on the fact that the platform isn't neutral, it is heavily biased towards reactionary politics and against more radical leftism. He's not opening up the window, it's still just liberalism versus fascism.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Perhaps trying to convince a weasel monarch that Nazis are bad was a fool's errand :thunk:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Mak0rz posted:

Perhaps trying to convince a weasel monarch that Nazis are bad was a fool's errand :thunk:

I'll admit, it looks bad.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

The Ferret King posted:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

"Oh, but I don't see YOU shooting Nazis. Heh. I am very smart. And for some reason defending the platforming of Nazis."

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Seriously though, we can't shoot Nazis right now because it's against the law to open fire American government representatives.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Idiots on Social Media: I did vote for Trump, but referring to me as "Trump Supporting"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Idiots on Social Media: I did vote for Trump, but referring to me as "Trump Supporting"

I mean a lot of people who voted for Clinton in the general are not Clinton supporters.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I mean, I agree in a more nuanced sense, but I'm still going to laugh at that clarification. Especially coming from the Trump side.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I get what you mean... Unfortunately I think a vote can still count as support. Maybe not pounding the streets in their name, but their name did get a tick next it it and it was put there by this dipshit's hand.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Darkhold posted:

IIRC that second one has been called into question as part of the whole replication crisis psychology is going through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm just saying, there's no harm in letting the nazis have a platform.

*Camera pans over to the US, where Donald Trump has been president for three years and the child concentration camps have long since slipped out of the discourse solely because they're old news*