Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Edit: sorry i misread the above post. Yeah, if they give each civ several unique abilities i will not be best pleased. Remembering all those in Endless Legend was a pain in the rear end.

The situation I'm describing above is a bit different than that. I chose the Germans because they are probably a late game civ, and by the time you've seen them, their abilities probably consist of the 7-8 civs that player has chosen before them.

So even each civ only getting one ability is an issue because of the nature of each civ being composed of multiple civs through time.

Now imagine 8 players in the 8th era. That's 64 abilities floating around. No way I'm going to be able to remember which 1 of those opponents has which 8 abilities.

That's the advantage that Civilization or Amplitudes own Endless games have over this. If you like the game you start to memorize it and you can have a pretty good idea of what the Zulu or Sophons are capable of when you see them. But with this new system, it appears your in for some studying in every era for every opponent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Elias_Maluco posted:

I think it works well enough. In any case, its incomparably better than Civ AI, thats for sure

Most of the time they will attack when it makes sense, they will form alliances and make deals that make sense, they are competitive enough etc

Then we shall disagree, friend!

Although I suppose it depends in large part on what game is in question. If you tell me the AI is fine in Hearts of Iron or Crusader Kings, ok. If you tell me the AI is fine for Stellaris or Imperator, loving nah son!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Chronojam posted:

You could have the AI system respond in meaningful ways to the actions the player takes (more than the AI's choices) by matching results with expectations directly. Abstract away more of the mechanics.

To use Civ amenities/happiness as an example, if you're roaming around actively pillaging luxuries and spreading dissent, have it treat this as an attack on a city's loyalty and roll for rebellions etc. But don't kneecap the AI's natural growth/expansion if it failed to settle luxuries early on per core game sim rules unless it seriously did a bad job or got seriously unlucky.

This is in contrast to simply having them play "by the same rules!" followed by a huge inherent bonus that invalidates the mechanics and leaves the player with no way to interact with that civ using said mechanics.

Another example, handwave food and growth using general rules (plains? desert?). Don't worry about crop carryover or intelligent farm adjacency bonuses or food trade route management for the AI. But if a storm hits or barbarians are burning fields or there's a siege, or you block the trade routes, then have a related result on population etc.

One of the big problems with having all these interlocked systems is that when you want to, say, hit an AI's "breadbasket" or something and starve them, you've already won anyway if you can do it- knocking out nodes in the happiness/culture/trade system of an opponent fucks them all sorts of ways so you just take whatever city and you win. It's one of those big problems with 4x games and their bag of management features trying to be more like Paradox games.

Through the Ages is the best 4x game by a longshot.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Chomp8645 posted:

Then we shall disagree, friend!

Although I suppose it depends in large part on what game is in question. If you tell me the AI is fine in Hearts of Iron or Crusader Kings, ok. If you tell me the AI is fine for Stellaris or Imperator, loving nah son!

I was talking about the ones I have enough experience with: CK2 and the EU series. Stellaris I own but never played enough to be able to judge. I never played Imperator

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
The Rhyes and Fall mod for Civ 4 did some interesting stuff wrt the stuff people are talking about. Ancient era civs start out in an empty world, and new civs appear at appropriate times. This way the franks and the turks spawn in position to capture the crumbling remains of the Roman Empire.
Victory conditions are unique to each civilization, so the Egyptians win by becoming an early cultural powerhouse, the Romans win by establishing their historical empire, the Americans win by controlling the majority world's oil production, and so on.

Its far from perfect, but removes the early game snowball effect. (Unless you're playing as China)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I skipped Civ 4, but now I want to grab it sort of just to play that mod...

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Yeah that sounds amazing. I have to experience that.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Huh, looking into it it was really big and popular, to the point where the mod has a bunch of mods for it! That's pretty neat.

Maybe I'll finally get Civ4 instead of buying Endless Legends.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Panzeh posted:

One of the big problems with having all these interlocked systems is that when you want to, say, hit an AI's "breadbasket" or something and starve them, you've already won anyway if you can do it- knocking out nodes in the happiness/culture/trade system of an opponent fucks them all sorts of ways so you just take whatever city and you win. It's one of those big problems with 4x games and their bag of management features trying to be more like Paradox games.

Through the Ages is the best 4x game by a longshot.

Through the Ages is amazing.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

GlyphGryph posted:

I skipped Civ 4, but now I want to grab it sort of just to play that mod...

Skipping Civ4 is a huge mistake, it is the best civ by far. Unmodded is a very tight and well-paced game with an AI that can actually play by the rules. At a difficulty of Prince or above, you will actually be challenged, and can actually lose the game.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Yeah, Civ4 is still really, really good, and I still love its civics system. Also ach era feels really different- classical has its logic puzzle unit interactions, medieval sees longbows and walls making expansion really difficult, and then renaissance arrives and suddenly you can cross oceans and get a big burst of new science and civics. It has a great arc, and all the classical music sells it beautifully.

Civ5's main flaw (I'm only half joking here) is the various sad discordant drones used for the background "currently at war" music. When I'm sending my cartoon mans to blow up other cartoon mans, I don't really want to hear the soundtrack from a documentary about war crimes.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

England has a pretty sweet war theme but you're right, I feel like it's being pretty guilting about the whole thing -- when instead we should be celebrating the arks racing to Mars amidst the nuclear fire in the background :v:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Is through the ages really that good?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

Is through the ages really that good?

Picture a typical PC 4X game in your mind, then simplify and abstract all of its mechanics until only the fun stuff is left and that's basically Through the Ages.

it's a brilliantly designed game that was hampered somewhat by being a physical board game with tons of fiddly bits and manual bookkeeping that made games take ten million hours. The digital version naturally fixes all that so you can play the game without having to waste an entire afternoon doing so and is the de facto best version of the game. And it even has an AI that works too.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It's very abstract. There's no map, just representations of important bits of land you own. There isn't a tech tree, just cards for more advanced archetypes to unlock, with almost no dependencies. The minute-to-minute gameplay is totally unlike Civ (or the Endless games).

It's pretty good for what it is: a short version of the civ experience, taking your people down some different path and building an enduring culture. The AI can put up a decent fight, too.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I just tried Through the Ages. I think I might like it if I put the work into it, but I'm having a lot of trouble understanding it. I think it's the kind of game I'd understand immediately if I played it in board game form, but as a digital game, it confuses me.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Yeah just grabbed it last night because of this thread recommending it. Won my first game against the computer so that was pretty cool.

It feels too quick to play though, like you're lucky if you fit in one war on that rampant race. I wonder if adding more players would slow it down a bit

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Since we last looked at @HumankindGame, there've been some developments:

The eras have been (re)named:

1. Ancient Era (previously Bronze Era)
2. Classical Era
3. Medieval Era
4. Early Modern Era
5. Industrial Era
6. Contemporary Era

Classical Era civs revealed so far:

* Scientist Greeks, with emblematic unit Hoplites and emblematic quarter Amphitheatron.
* Militarist Goths, with emblematic unit Gothic Cavalry and emblematic quarter Tumulus.
* Merchant Carthaginians, with emblematic unit War Elephant and emblematic quarter Cothon.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Aerdan posted:

4. Early Modern Era
5. Industrial Era
6. Contemporary Era

alright, that's a choice i guess

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

alright, that's a choice i guess

what's wrong with it? lots of people use the early modern period to describe the time roughly 1450-1800

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Did...did we stop at some point calling it "Renaissance"?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

When do you think the Renaissance ended

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
renaissance is a bit euro-centric and doesn't encompass all of the stuff that was happening during that period of time. it would be like describing the contemporary era as the "space race age" and leaving it at that. the renaissance definitely happened during the early modern period but it's not the only thing that was going on then, nor does it fully represent that whole stretch of nearly four centuries

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

luxury handset posted:

what's wrong with it? lots of people use the early modern period to describe the time roughly 1450-1800

hm, guess i learned something today

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aerdan posted:

Classical Era civs revealed so far:

* Scientist Greeks, with emblematic unit Hoplites and emblematic quarter Amphitheatron.
* Militarist Goths, with emblematic unit Gothic Cavalry and emblematic quarter Tumulus.
* Merchant Carthaginians, with emblematic unit War Elephant and emblematic quarter Cothon.

And still not even a vague description of what any of these things mean.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the word emblematic is losing all meaning for me

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Davincie posted:

the word emblematic is losing all meaning for me

It's terrible, they just didn't want to use the word that's always used for this type of stuff ('unique')

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
:siren: Finally a video about a game mechanic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDGnigR6uQo

Summary:

• Pre-defined territories will exist, like they did in Endless Legend
  • But they'll be dynamic, not fixed - which appears to mean that you can merge territories
  • You can claim territories with outposts instead of cities
  • Outposts can be developed into cities, or merged with neighbouring ones. Dude says this is to promote "fewer, but bigger cities"
  • Districts come in two flavours, "city centres" that visually update with the times, "emblematic quarters" which retain their visuals throughout
  • Multiple cities can contribute to building a wonder

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 13, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mr.Misfit posted:

Did...did we stop at some point calling it "Renaissance"?

If you're talking about global stuff, yeah. Renaissance is a more specific period of time within part of Europe. Of course classical and medieval also refer only to the Mediterranean world/Europe so. :shrug: It's hard to pick a term that works globally since anything you do before very recent history is not going to be global. The old stone/bronze/iron age divisions don't work either. It's not solvable, really.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 13, 2020

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Call it the Colonization Era. That's what it was, and it did affect the entire globe.

But, that's what they were trying to avoid though, by copping out and calling it the Early Modern Era. That's what everybody is trying to do by calling the it the Early Modern Era.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 13, 2020

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

just call it Paradox Interactive's Europa Universalis IV Era

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The Columbian Era

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Grand Fromage posted:

If you're talking about global stuff, yeah. Renaissance is a more specific period of time within part of Europe. Of course classical and medieval also refer only to the Mediterranean world/Europe so. :shrug: It's hard to pick a term that works globally since anything you do before very recent history is not going to be global. The old stone/bronze/iron age divisions don't work either. It's not solvable, really.

But isnīt the game, as a 4x, already western-centric ? It takes the ideas of "ages/eras of humanity", "forced technological development" as being an imminent part of societal evolution, which, if I remember correctly, isnīt even the standard model for most of the worlds development and "development by expansion and refinement of land and ressources"?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Early Modern is what everyone writing actual historiography calls it you goons. Renaissance has been out of vogue for quite some time for reasons already outlined.

There were in fact things going on outside of colonialism and european bullshit in the early modern era. Did you know the Ottomans existed and that borderline landlocked non-colonial empires had significance for a while there like Poland? Fukken wild.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 13, 2020

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Don Pigeon posted:

It's terrible, they just didn't want to use the word that's always used for this type of stuff ('unique')

The word "unique" is emblematic of the Civ series; they needed something unique

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
The Renaissance is definitely a thing, but it's limited in scope. While northern Italy was in the Renaissance, Germany and Spain weren't, for instance (this is just Europe, too). It's more of a vague in-between step for some countries taking small steps to get out of the medieval feudal systems and has a lot more definite meaning in art history.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Mr.Misfit posted:

But isnīt the game, as a 4x, already western-centric ? It takes the ideas of "ages/eras of humanity", "forced technological development" as being an imminent part of societal evolution, which, if I remember correctly, isnīt even the standard model for most of the worlds development and "development by expansion and refinement of land and ressources"?

The 4X model of history is indeed colonialist/imperialist, but that doesn't justify the application of a label that isn't particularly accurate even for Western Europe. We haven't used 'the dark ages' to refer to anybody's medieval periods for a few decades now, either.

Unfortunately, it's hard to really formulate a historical simulator that doesn't get skewed toward imperialism, since wars (and especially invasions) have had a major impact on history in most regions. (I suspect the best way to manage it would be to do something like King of Dragon Pass or Six Ages, but I'm not sure how to adapt that formula to the several thousand years of human history that Civilisation and Humankind are spanning.)

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
You basically need to have it defined by technological and/or administrative progress too, otherwise you'd have to invent a completely arbitrary and inherently racist cultural teleology.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mr.Misfit posted:

Not really. There was plenty of technological development and imperialism all around the globe, the west did not invent either of those things. There are societies that hit a certain level of technological progress and didn't do much after that, which is a subject of study in anthropology. One popular hypothesis is those societies tend to be in places where the environment is very favorable to daily life and there just isn't much pressure to change, life is pretty good as-is.

There are also many, many societies that divide their history into different ages, but the model selected for most 4X games is European based since if you're playing a 4X game in English it was probably developed by westerners. There are attempts to apply it elsewhere but they don't work very well. Some exceptions exist--bronze age before iron age does crop up in other parts of the world because refining iron is simply a much harder thing to do, so the technology tends to come after bronzeworking. But then if you try to apply say, stone age to different societies, you end up calling massive and advanced empires like the Aztecs or Inka stone age, which really does not make a lot of sense with how stone age is used in European contexts.

In any case, "all of human history in a video game" is always going to have simplifications so it's not a huge deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I think it's just flavor text so calling it renaissance vs bronze age, vs information age or whatever is perfectly fine and great.