Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Hold onto your horses giant mammoths because Civilization has finally got some competition!

Key things to know:
  • Humankind is a new 4X game by Amplitude Studios
  • That’s the same guys that made sci-fi 4X Endless Space and high fantasy 4X Endless Legend
  • Humankind is their attempt to steal the crown of historical 4X’s from the Civilization series
  • They say it was their plan all along to eventually make this game – the Endless games were just practice
  • :siren: it's out
Here’s the announcement trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDivjMzbLWg

Some choice screenshots:

There's been a lot of open alpha(?) testing and you can watch a lot of gameplay online. Here's a recent video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAcsHoA96YA

Key features (bear in mind I'm writing this from the perspective of a Civ player, though I have played Endless Legend a couple times):

• Terrain elevation and inland cliffs (present in Endless Legend, so only to be expected)
  • An Endless Legend-style combat system (units are stacked until a battle, where they unstack and engage in 1UPT combat) - I believe the first screenshot above shows a battle in progress, but I have no idea what that red line is
  • Some sort of civilization-flavouring system that allows you to pick a cultural theme (from 10) for each of the six eras, allowing you to mix-and-match styles. So you might have a civilization with Egyptian and French influences, for instance. (The developer is very keen on you knowing this means one million combinations, even though you could get just as many in Civ through social policy and religion picks. I'm a little sceptical.) Not much detail yet on how meaningful these choices will be, but it's not just aesthetic - they will at least grant you access to unique units.
  • Resources you’d expect: Food, Industry (what Civ calls production), Money (what Endless Legend calls Dust), and Science. There’s also Influence – a resource from Endless Legend that has diplomatic effects and - I believe - somewhat takes the role that Culture has in Civilization for societal development.
  • Another resource called Fame. This appears to be your "score", and ending the game with the highest score will win it (there are, I don't think, any other victory conditions). Many things contribute towards Fame, and it's possible to score a big batch of Fame early- or mid-game and then hope that carries the day while everyone else tries to catch up.

Here's the website: https://humankind.game/

Here's a great video on how Fame and cultures work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_ZxFMGN8RA

It's probably around now - not terribly long after releasing the second expansion for Civ 6 - that Firaxis are looking ahead to Civ 7. It will be very interesting to see if this pushes them to try something a little more ambitious with Civ 7 and really shake things up.

For now though, I'm really looking forward to this and I might just have to give Endless Legend a go again.

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I'm excited about this and Amplitude has the vision and experience to pull it off. Human history is always going to be a more interesting setting to me than fantasy or sci-fi when it comes to my strategy games.

And Lord knows Civ could use some competition to keep themselves sharp with their last few releases...

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
Psyched for this, I'm a huge civ AND Endless Legends fan.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

quote:

I believe the first screenshot above shows a battle in progress, but I have no idea what that red line is

It could be the border of a region, if they bring that over from Endless Legend.

Edit: Ah, the article says they are:

quote:

Continents are divided into “territories” defined by arbitrary borders; only one city can be settled per territory, and from that central city tile you can expand outwards with new farms, districts, wonders, and other constructions until your city is worthy of the term “metropolis”.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 23, 2019

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Now that you mention it there's a few lines on that screenshot. A second red line in the top right, a dotted red line on the left, and a couple dotted white lines in the top left. I think the solid white line is the battle arena.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Yeah, I think so too. The other lines might be the region borders... Solid for an empire's borders, dotted for interior borders?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Here's someone explaining how the combat works. It can take place over multiple game turns, with three battle turns happening per game turn.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08/21/humankind-makes-multiculturalism-its-killer-feature-gamescom-2019

quote:

Each turn of the campaign allows you to engage in three rounds of combat. Battles can span over numerous turns, and thanks to being fought on the campaign map itself rather than in a separate mode akin to the Total War games, it means you can reinforce your army simply by moving other units into the battle tile. This system brings a taste of grand strategy to Humankind, and further defines its identity as a game that’s not just Civilization from a different developer.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah I'm a big fan of both Civ and the Endless series, but believe or not I think Civ, for all its faults, is waaaay better at war than the Endless series ever has been. That is some ambitious plan they have, and I sure hope it works out.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

The Human Crouton posted:

Here's someone explaining how the combat works. It can take place over multiple game turns, with three battle turns happening per game turn.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08/21/humankind-makes-multiculturalism-its-killer-feature-gamescom-2019

This sounds like a very boring combat system that will instantly get bogged down by the AI making 40 single unit "armies" and the player being forced to spend multiple turns dealing with each one. Kind of like total war, but worse.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Just give me the full trailer song, FlybyNo.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It'd be cool if warfare started with disorganised bands raiding each other, progressed into fully-fledged battles between armies for most of the game, then degenerated back into huge lines of single units covering the frontline ala WW1 and WW2, then back into disorganised raiders for WW3

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

This sounds like a very boring combat system that will instantly get bogged down by the AI making 40 single unit "armies" and the player being forced to spend multiple turns dealing with each one. Kind of like total war, but worse.

You would probably just kill that one unit army in one turn. They aren't going to force battle to take 9 turns.

Also, they will likely have an auto resolve button that you can use for one-side fights. That's what they did in Endless Legend, which has a similar overall system to what is being described for Humankind.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Det_no posted:

Just give me the full trailer song, FlybyNo.

FlyByNo along with Ben Prunty are pretty much day 1 purchase bait for me. I am very excited for this, I love that the screenshots so far are quite austere or perhaps constrained relative to Civ VI, which I felt was excessively cartoony in its presentation and felt very inspired by mobile games. Happy to see Firaxis have the fight taken to them and I think Amplitude can really pull this off.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Papa horny for this one.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Graphically, this looks way better than Civ 6 to me. I really didn't like the cartoony style they went for.

Just in general Civ 6 felt like a huge flop so hopefully this is good.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

I loved Civ - god only knows how many hours I spent on Civ4 - but I can't stand the increasingly cartoony, 1UPT, broken-rear end game they've been peddling since Civ5, so I'm mondo excited for this.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Looking good!

Based on EL and ES2, I guess we can expect:
-a lot of expansions later with new mechanics
-factions with very different play styles
-slightly tedious equipment slot management for units...
-a sliding scale of conflict, rather than "at war/not at war"

I remember buying EL on a whim and having the awesome experience of slowly discovering that this slightly weird fantasy 4X was actually an extremely weird sci-fi 4X.
And then moving from Civ 5- where colonisation is punished and penalised through every game mechanic- on to ES2 where you can shoot out colonists all day long, resulting in complex economic/diplomatic/military situations where multiple empires want a slice of one star system...
The one thing I'm worried about is the battle system- I hope they work out a way for legions next to musketmen to not look kind of dumb. And while EL's magic and ranged combat was beautiful, its melee combat felt sort of lacking- I wanted massive battle lines crashing into each other, and instead you get 3 guys standing next to 4 guys [small pause] 2 guys fall over.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
I'm...slightly disappointed? I really loved Amplitude's world building and design with the Endless series. Them going the Civ route and essentially sticking to just human history is kind of bland, considering how many games have gone over the broad strokes in various forms.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Endless Space 2 was a fantastic game so I have high hopes on finally having a good Civ-type again.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

FZeroRacer posted:

I'm...slightly disappointed? I really loved Amplitude's world building and design with the Endless series. Them going the Civ route and essentially sticking to just human history is kind of bland, considering how many games have gone over the broad strokes in various forms.

I agree, it seems like they're just forcing themselves to be less creative.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Clarste posted:

I agree, it seems like they're just forcing themselves to be less creative.

Nah, fantasy/sci-fi is a lame copout to go for novelty over actual game design.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Panzeh posted:

Nah, fantasy/sci-fi is a lame copout to go for novelty over actual game design.

Yep. Give me a good game. Restriction breeds creativity.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

You would probably just kill that one unit army in one turn. They aren't going to force battle to take 9 turns.

Also, they will likely have an auto resolve button that you can use for one-side fights. That's what they did in Endless Legend, which has a similar overall system to what is being described for Humankind.

I hope so. I just have flash backs to total war/lords of the realm, where even a 100 peasant army vs 10000 knights that was auto-calculated wasn't wiped out and was still able to raze/pillage.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

FZeroRacer posted:

The least important aspect in a 4x is the "setting" or the "factions," in fact you'll have studio's trying to over-compensate on the setting (civ5 and 6 adding lots of text about new civs with no significant mechanics) in order to try to paper-over shallow game systems. So let's do the opposite, please.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm still holding out hope someone can make a Civ game better than Civ 4. Or at least almost as good.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yep. Give me a good game. Restriction breeds creativity.

That's my read: in order to get a game world with a similar feel of richness but without a custom universe and the dope reveal that Dust is actually the remnants of post-scarcity nanotech and this isn't fantasy at all it is technically hard sci-fi on a lost colony world will require some real storycrafting.

Of course they could drop the ball and leave us with JUST emergent storytelling against a backdrop of the difference between real history and the events in our campaigns, I guess? I'm willing to hope for now, though.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

The least important aspect in a 4x is the "setting" or the "factions," in fact you'll have studio's trying to over-compensate on the setting (civ5 and 6 adding lots of text about new civs with no significant mechanics) in order to try to paper-over shallow game systems. So let's do the opposite, please.
No? The setting and the factions both allow you to play around with game mechanics in ways that sticking to traditional history simply doesn't. And that's what both Endless Space and Endless Legend did really well, by making unique factions whose core conceit ties directly into their gameplay loop.

I mean with these arguments you'd think all of the World War-based shooters or RTSes were top of their game because the WW setting required them to actually have good game/story design when in reality they'll go back to overused and stereotypical gameplay and story. And I don't see Humankind going the Wolfenstein route where poo poo goes completely off the rails.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

And that's precisely why Civ players universaly consider SMAC to be the worst Civ game.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Just spotted this in one of the screenshots

Is... is that a wonder?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Falcorum posted:

And that's precisely why Civ players universaly consider SMAC to be the worst Civ game.

SMAC is not actually a very good game, it just has nice quotes. It's like civ2 but even more broken.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Panzeh posted:

SMAC is not actually a very good game, it just has nice quotes. It's like civ2 but even more broken.

what the gently caress

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

[*]Another resource called Fame. From what I can tell, this is basically the equivalent of Score in Civilization, but everyone’s making a big deal about it for some reason. Amplitude say you win the game with the most Fame - just like Civ with all the other victories turned off.

ew no, score victory is the worst possible one in every 4x

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'm now imagining SMAC in the Endless engine. :swoon:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Davincie posted:

ew no, score victory is the worst possible one in every 4x

Yes it is, it's garbage, but I've not seen anything yet to suggest Fame is any more interesting. It's like they just included the score victory but renamed it. I'm hoping there's more to it than that.

Did Endless Legend have something like Fame that might provide a clue? It's been a long while since i played it

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

what the gently caress

civ4 is a much much better game for a variety of reasons

the factions are all lame anyway, they're all just literally 'vague ideology man'

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Panzeh posted:

civ4 is a much much better game for a variety of reasons

the factions are all lame anyway, they're all just literally 'vague ideology man'

civ4 is absolutely better, yes, but part of that is from the technical limitations of a game that was years older. also the factions are cool and good, and the planetary council thing is a better un mechanic, limited as it is, than in any civ game since.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I beg of you no “which Civ is best” talk. It’s 1, like god intended.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Yea. It sounds like a slog. For a game like this I want my combat to be abstracted to gently caress please.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well if it's like EL then I'm sure there will be an auto resolve button for combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
looking at endless legend/endless space this game will audiovisually be loving amazing but the gameplay will be fun for about an hour before it becomes a boring slog