Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Borderlands 3 is on sale on steam now. 50 bux for the full package. Unlocks on the 13th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

subterfudge
Aug 5, 2015
Doom Eternal Launch Trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UuktemkCFI

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
For some reason I had it in my head that it came out this weekend and now a week and change feels too long to wait.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hosed up to put out a launch trailer not on launch

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That game is gonna fuckin OOOWWWWNNNN

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
DOOOOMYYY TUUUURRRRTLLLEEE

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

If Trump wanted to do something that would really help calm people down, he'd make Doom and Animal Crossing release a week early.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Train Sim World is up on xbox gamepass. Autism express, checking into the station...

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
https://twitter.com/Fujyno/status/1238155063283142656?s=20

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

oh btw xcom 2 collection is coming to switch

https://nintendoeverything.com/xcom-2-collection-seemingly-coming-to-switch/

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I've been shouting at everyone that would listen this needed to be a thing for so long.

I cannot loving wait.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I've legit been thinking about getting a new graphics card since I'm guessing my late 2017 system should still get a decent performance boost from it (before getting a new PC sans graphics card next year), and Doom Eternal gas been pushing me ever so close to pulling the trigger.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

I'm glad you're back to switchpost :golfclap:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

it wasnt you and sorry if you felt bad i just needed an internet break, lifes been busy and i needed to focus on other (not bad) stuff and march sucks balls for me for a lot of reasons

also animal crossing and doom are friends now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5ja7W9Yjm8

im waiting on switchternal but i will be playing the gently caress out of doom 64 next week. been replaying doom 2, ultraviolence no cheats. i just beat map 12 i think.

quickloading like a motherfucker mashing f7 like pavlovs dog as a kid but still, its doom to me

the switch ports are fantastic btw. get them if they go on sale again. doom 64 is going to be so good

also my daughters birthday is next week. two copies of animal crossing just in time for her school district to be shut down. we better be visiting towns and sharing fruits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3nDFfFoFc0

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I am now upgrading myself to Mediocre at DBFZ, a huge improvement.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Did you add your info to the Animal Crossing goon excel? The wife and I have it preloaded and are looking forward to next week.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

gently caress ya island with the buds

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

What's the decent "budget" model graphics card these days? geforce rtx 2060 with 8GB or something?
I have a GeForce GTX 1060 at the moment, so that should be a step up.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

loving blade runner, the amazing 1997 pc game, is coming to the ps4 and switch. goddamn.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Duzzy Funlop posted:

What's the decent "budget" model graphics card these days? geforce rtx 2060 with 8GB or something?

I think its the RX 580 but i've been out of the loop for a while. Nvidea has been good at the high end, Radeon has been consistent in the low to mid range. I don't think Nvidea even offers a worthwhile budget model anymore.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

For 1080P or 1440P gaming, 1660 Ti or 1660 Super from NVidia are both good, the 1660 Ti is like a 60% upgrade over your 1060.

An RX580 is barely an upgrade over a 1060.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-04-26-gtx-1660-ti-vs-gtx-1060-7001#benchmarks

However, your 1060 is not exactly a slouch and shouldn't be slow, so why exactly are you upgrading?

orange juche fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 13, 2020

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Allegedly, both Nvidia and ATI are supposed to have their next gen released this year. Nvidia should be a die shrink (better performance, lower heat) and ATI should be an arch change to target Nvidia's high end (2080). If you can, I'd wait to see what hits and if it makes sense to grab something new or a previous gen "mid" range card.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Anyone play total warhammer? I just managed to eke out a win while badly outnumbered and saved the replay, it gives you the option to play the battle yourself, who wants to try better my score

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Anyone play total warhammer? I just managed to eke out a win while badly outnumbered and saved the replay, it gives you the option to play the battle yourself, who wants to try better my score

Kung Fu Fist gently caress does iirc (Haji Dangerfield).

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

orange juche posted:

For 1080P or 1440P gaming, 1660 Ti or 1660 Super from NVidia are both good, the 1660 Ti is like a 60% upgrade over your 1060.

An RX580 is barely an upgrade over a 1060.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-04-26-gtx-1660-ti-vs-gtx-1060-7001#benchmarks

However, your 1060 is not exactly a slouch and shouldn't be slow, so why exactly are you upgrading?

To be perfectly fair: Because it's like 3 years old?

My general procedure over the last 13 years since kicking my habit of being an idiot PC-modder and OC-fanatic has been to buy a new PC, upgrade the GPU 3 years later, and then buy a new PC another 2 years after that, and it's served me kinda well.
An RTX 2060 appears to be somewhere around a 60%+ upgrade over my current performance and it costs less than the GTX 1060 cost me in 2017 including a 15% discount I have available, so I think I just might grab that.

RTX 2070s/2080s are 200-380 Euros on top of the 2060 (including the discount, which I can't even apply to a 2080) which seems to me like not a lot has changed in the development of the price-range, and that's well above my personal limit.

I've got 2 hours to pull the trigger on an ASUS ROG 2060 6G (the "6G" is kinda odd, because the technical specs detail 8GB of DDR6), so I think I might go with that.

/edit: All googling-around seems to indicate there isn't an RTX 2060 6G model with 8GB of RAM, so the binding technical product-specs of this offer seem to actually be off, which lifts all EU restrictions on the return-policy, so I might just grab it and then return it after a couple of months when prices drop on higher-end models when the new generation drops. God bless occasional oversight

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 13, 2020

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
well yeah '6G' indicates 6 gigs of memory so it wouldn't have 8.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Proud Christian Mom posted:

well yeah '6G' indicates 6 gigs of memory so it wouldn't have 8.

And that's the beauty of it. Even the order confirmation says 8GB of DDR6, so I'm getting a graphics card that I probably will be perfectly happy with, and still have carte-blanche to return it whenever-the-gently caress for the full purchase price because of a gently caress-up.

/edit: out of pure curiosity: the clock speed still determines the overall performance for games that don't max out RAM, or has that changed as well?
I've completely moonwalked out of following the technological development of PC hardware in the last decade, but if RAM is now a deciding factor in addition to clock speed, I might grab a higher-end model at the end of the year

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 13, 2020

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
You and your dang EU consumer protections! :argh:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Duzzy Funlop posted:

And that's the beauty of it. Even the order confirmation says 8GB of DDR6, so I'm getting a graphics card that I probably will be perfectly happy with, and still have carte-blanche to return it whenever-the-gently caress for the full purchase price because of a gently caress-up.

/edit: out of pure curiosity: the clock speed still determines the overall performance for games that don't max out RAM, or has that changed as well?
I've completely moonwalked out of following the technological development of PC hardware in the last decade, but if RAM is now a deciding factor in addition to clock speed, I might grab a higher-end model at the end of the year

I love that the German in you allows you to do this, because it's rules-lawyering and all good Germans must follow the rules at all times

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Duzzy Funlop posted:

yeah depending on the game you can hit one or both bottlenecks. can't do anything for running out of video RAM, but you can overclock your card and get a bit more oomph out of it. best of all, its very simple and you can't actually damage your card doing it, you're just adding the risk of or actual instability into it. see MSI Afterburner for details!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I love that the German in you allows you to do this, because it's rules-lawyering and all good Germans must follow the rules at all times

Let's be perfectly honest here:

The most probable outcome is that I'll get a product that yields upwards of 60% of performance over what I own now and will probably be perfectly satisfactory for what I pay, and thus the straight-arrow Deutschbag in me at the end of the year will probably whisper "listen, you got what you wanted, and returning the card despite knowing perfectly-well that you weren't getting the product legally advertised just to get a better product is morally wrong" into my ear, so I'll just chill.

But it is nice to know that I have a legal safety net that overrides even the product's warranty. :downs:

Oh, the ecstasy and agony of being German.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Hekk posted:

Did you add your info to the Animal Crossing goon excel? The wife and I have it preloaded and are looking forward to next week.

i did not but i will

im preloaded and ready to go loud once it unlocks. Kid likes the carts though so I'll be grabbing it for her that morning.

also school just got cancelled for two weeks!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

I am now upgrading myself to Mediocre at DBFZ, a huge improvement.

kid goku/base vegeta/16 are my team for season 3 so far. might swap geetz out but tbh hes too much fun

and 16's suicide super is my favorite move in any fightgame ever so im not gonna give him up

dude when the pandemic goes away maybe you should roll down to new haven for locals sometime. its the hyperbolic time chamber to getting gud.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

guess it’s a good time to finally start Witcher 3

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

do you fuckers want to get a civ v game going online

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkBrNGeFwoU

oh poo poo they actually did Xen

also makes me realize how disappointed i was with hl2

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

kid goku/base vegeta/16 are my team for season 3 so far. might swap geetz out but tbh hes too much fun

and 16's suicide super is my favorite move in any fightgame ever so im not gonna give him up

dude when the pandemic goes away maybe you should roll down to new haven for locals sometime. its the hyperbolic time chamber to getting gud.

I've been playing 18/Young Gohan/Trunks and its working for me. I can string combo's and assists together well enough to beat just about any CPU team now. But I'm still trash at doing all the fancy blocking/reflecting/stun escape stuff.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkBrNGeFwoU

oh poo poo they actually did Xen

also makes me realize how disappointed i was with hl2

Xen is every bit as beautiful and fun to play as I could have wanted. You could do a no enemies stroll though just to appreciate the scenery and soundtrack.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

I've been playing 18/Young Gohan/Trunks and its working for me. I can string combo's and assists together well enough to beat just about any CPU team now. But I'm still trash at doing all the fancy blocking/reflecting/stun escape stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRyNrRyw5vY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpmnqcLqbLo&t=253s

this dudes channel is essential viewing

also LordKnight is really good for dbzf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9opjxNuX20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

M_Gargantua posted:

You won’t be good at fighters until you build your own arcade stick and then gut it for the PCB so you can build a hit box using a super heavy duty metal case.