Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Poland is closing everything and the borders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Pick posted:

The problem is not and will never be food. There's plenty of loving food.

the US throws like half its food in the garbage each year

time to dumpster dive likes it's 2008

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Lodin posted:

For once Games Workshop have the right idea. They have Space Marines installed in the main office bathrooms that yell at you if you don't wash your hands properly.

https://twitter.com/BitsHammer/status/1237586916876226560?s=20

A plague marine should be there to welcome you and tell you about papa nurgle.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Mokotow posted:

I was meant to fly back tomorrow night-can’t get a definite answer yet if it’s no longer happening, or will be one of the last/the last flights in

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Florida bros I just heard skeletor is under self quarantine

lol

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Everyone is calling my parents like they're about to die. It's kind of hosed.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAE6Il6OTcs

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

kloa posted:

Sharing food is an excellent way to spread this. Please don't eat half eaten cheese burgers

naem
May 29, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

What is some legit survival food I’m missing?

Beans, rice, fruit jams, peanut butter, toilet paper

i’m a big fan fan of having one high calorie ready to eat can of food (for some reason I went with Beef Stew and Corned beef hash) that can be served over a starch like rice/pasta etc, and then a canned fruit/vegetable.

you can plan out a mildly balanced thing that has probably two large servings for each person, for each day, 1500-2000 calories

then have dried beans as a long lasting backup to that, and breakfast stuff like oatmeal or granola bars etc.

the more ways you have to flavor food the better too (bullion cubes, spices, sauces etc)

also I seem to be expressing my anxiety about all this with food prep which is at least like, productive

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s3iGpDqQpQ

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

shovelbum posted:

It takes like no one to feed us all it's how we have cities and poo poo to begin with
There might be a problem with logistics because the shelf stable food is in a warehouse / distribution center instead of at the store. For the first few weeks the DCs will keep the stores supplied as best they can, but everyone is panicking because the food isn't on the shelf right now.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

If u got lungs here comes the mucus

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Battle Pigeon posted:

I was meant to fly back tomorrow night-can’t get a definite answer yet if it’s no longer happening, or will be one of the last/the last flights in

Incoming flights are stopping Sunday night I think.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Any word on how the Roni affects folks with asthma?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

naem posted:

i’m a big fan fan of having one high calorie ready to eat can of food (for some reason I went with Beef Stew and Corned beef hash) that can be served over a starch like rice/pasta etc, and then a canned fruit/vegetable.

you can plan out a mildly balanced thing that has probably two large servings for each person, for each day, 1500-2000 calories

then have dried beans as a long lasting backup to that, and breakfast stuff like oatmeal or granola bars etc.

the more ways you have to flavor food the better too (bullion cubes, spices, sauces etc)

also I seem to be expressing my anxiety about all this with food prep which is at least like, productive

And really most things that have to be cooked and aren't produce last well. Flour, pasta, and other grains like buckwheat can add variety, lard and oils will add calories and flavor, and as you said shelf-stable spices and other flavorings will change things up.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Mokotow posted:

That did seem an effective tactic for the Black Death, at least.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Different kinds of lentils, chickpeas and beans are almost a complete diet unto themselves. I work from home a lot already and I just have a big bowl of brown lentil soup for lunch, costs ten eurocents for a meal and is easily transformed into cuisine of your choice by the choice of spices. You should already have a good selection of dry spices at your home from raiding the local Asian/Mexican store. Eating mostly vegan does wonders for your health and budget anyways and leaves you leaner and stronger to take over the post-COVID wasteland.

edit: There was a good Guardian article by a guy who lives in Vanuatu and is used to shortages: https://www.theguardian.com/world/c...ady-for-boredom Basically, when prepping, don't focus on rice and beans which everyone has in their pantry, but on sauces and spices, which no-one ever thinks of beforehand.

barbecue at the folks fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 13, 2020

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

bomb posted:

Can’t get enough of jetting my butthole with this bidet

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Head Bee Guy posted:

Any word on how the Roni affects folks with asthma?

High risk, it makes breathing difficult for healthy people, I imagine adding a massive layer of mucus to the lungs would be terrible for an asthma sufferer. If you at all suspect someone with asthma has it they should seek attention sooner rather than wait and see. It shouldn't be I feel fine fall over dead or anything. They just may require assistance breathing during the worst of it, so yes they may require a hospital visit but if they get it they should survive.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I gotta get on the lentil bandwagon. I have almost no experience cooking with it, and it sounds like a slam dunk for the coming apocalypse. Is it just cook lentils, add spices? Add beans and rice for a treat?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

CannonFodder posted:

There might be a problem with logistics because the shelf stable food is in a warehouse / distribution center instead of at the store. For the first few weeks the DCs will keep the stores supplied as best they can, but everyone is panicking because the food isn't on the shelf right now.

Is that so? I thought only tp and sanitizer was being hoarded

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Lodin posted:

For once Games Workshop have the right idea. They have Space Marines installed in the main office bathrooms that yell at you if you don't wash your hands properly.

https://twitter.com/BitsHammer/status/1237586916876226560?s=20

Someone put this video in the op

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Hobo Clown posted:

I gotta get on the lentil bandwagon. I have almost no experience cooking with it, and it sounds like a slam dunk for the coming apocalypse. Is it just cook lentils, add spices? Add beans and rice for a treat?

https://thewanderlustkitchen.com/indian-red-lentil-dal/

Enjoy!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

shovelbum posted:

So if this is just permanent now and comes back every year are we just uh, quarantined forever? Letting everyone who gets it bad just fall over and die on the ground seems preferable to "society slowly disintegrates locked up at home over several years"

Nah. Over the years it will become less a problem because it will no longer be a novel virus. Since nobody has had it everybody could get it at once right now, which would be bad. Maybe have to increase hospital capacity over the next few years to account for greater need for hospitalizations during flu+corona season, since most places are running at or near capacity all year even without covid19. As an endemic illness it might bump up annual flu deaths by an order of magnitude, but no one will care just like we don't care about the people who already die of flu every year.

Worst case scenario is that countries with a life expectancy in the 80s could see that drop a bit as more of the elderly and chronically ill die a few years earlier. That sucks, but it won't threaten civilization.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Hobo Clown posted:

I just do 1 part brown lentils, 2 parts water, olive oil, boullion cube, assorted spices, bring to boil and simmer for 30 mins under a lid, eat. YOu can also just quickly fry some garlic and onions and add the water to that. I add frozen veggies, lime juice, chia seeds, whatever is in the pantry like textured soy protein and such. Non-vegetarians are free to add sausage or whatever you feel like!

Unlike beans, most lentils require no prep so they are perhaps the easiest protein-heavy vegetable there is. They're also literally cheap as dirt.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Not houses, like woods. My dad has always had woods as backup. :shrug:?????

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

QuarkJets posted:

Is that so? I thought only tp and sanitizer was being hoarded
Pasta and bread are flying off the shelves as well. Some places are running low on beans and rice.

But again, this is just the store shelves, there's much more in warehouses and DCs and as long as the trucks keep moving the stores are fine.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Facebook Aunt posted:

As an endemic illness it might bump up annual flu deaths by an order of magnitude, but no one will care just like we don't care about the people who already die of flu every year..

I don’t think people would just shrug off 600+k deaths every flu season.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

kloa posted:

We also have massive grain and cheese reserves. Like there's truly and incomprehensible amount of food in this country

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Hobo Clown posted:

i made a bomb rear end mushroom lentil bolognese two weeks ago :yum:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
My wife wants to know if dogs can get the ‘roni. I think she is calculating who can be sacrificed in an emergency. My dog is very a handsome good boy, so my personal chances are slim if she has to sacrifice one of us.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

Pasta and bread are flying off the shelves as well. Some places are running low on beans and rice.

But again, this is just the store shelves, there's much more in warehouses and DCs and as long as the trucks keep moving the stores are fine.

why are people buying bread :laffo: that poo poo will be stale in a week

be not so dumb and buy bulk flour(s)/salt(s) and make your own bread for the apocalypse

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

My wife wants to know if dogs can get the ‘roni. I think she is calculating who can be sacrificed in an emergency. My dog is very a handsome good boy, so my personal chances are slim if she has to sacrifice one of us.

There's no evidence yet that cats or dogs can get it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The number is only estimated that high due to exceeding hospital capacity. It is significantly lower if we spread out the infection rate which is what would naturally happen as we gained immunity.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

kloa posted:

be not so dumb and buy bulk flour(s)/salt(s) and make your own bread for the apocalypse

It would be cool if there was some kind of home appliance that could preserve food items by freezing them. A "freezer", if you will.

I was at Meijer earlier to pick up a few items and there were maybe like five loaves of bread. Lots of buns though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

kloa posted:

depends on the type of bread

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

kloa posted:

You can freeze it and then thaw and toast it i guess?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ugly In The Morning posted:

We already do though. Worldwide flu deaths per year are already 600,000+, and no one bats an eye.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pixaal posted:

The number is only estimated that high due to exceeding hospital capacity.

They said increase flu deaths by an order of magnitude every flu season. 60k x 10 is 600k. Though now that I’m not half-distracted by work I realize they probably just meant “bump it up a notch” instead of “by an actual order of magnitude”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Thank loving god I did all my end-of-the-world shopping weeks ago. I went to the store to see if I could pick up a few miscellaneous items and they had a whole lot of nothing. Two gallons of distilled water took three hours to buy.

Hooray for paranoia or my rear end would have been truly screwed.