Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

Oxygen mask as opposed to tube down your throat.

NIV is a bit more than that - it's an airtight mask covering the mouth and nose (or possibly the whole face) that forces air (normally with additional oxygen) into your lungs when it detects you inhaling, then releases the pressure (usually to still higher than ambient to keep the bronchioles inflated - if they're allowed to fully relax in a lung with pneumonia or other dysfunctions they tend to get stuck closed by mucus, reducing the surface area available for gas exchange) when you exhale.

It basically does the same job as a tube down the throat, not quite as effectively, but it allows the patient to remain conscious and is less risky for infection as intubation. The machines are also a bit more finicky than traditional mechanical ventilators and considerably more expensive, but also require less supervision.

(Source: Parents with COPD and an obsessive nature that meant at one point one of the consultants at London Chest Hospital (jokingly) offered me a job training the nurses on how their NIV machines worked)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

not entirely promising results for anyone betting on ECMO: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30566-3/fulltext
3 attempts leading to 3 failures, not a large sample ofc but it's not entirely promising

bit more data than the singapore image i'm used to looking at as well:

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 13, 2020

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The pubs in Bristol are noticably significantly quieter than usual. It's the apocalypse for sure!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

not entirely promising results for anyone betting on ECMO:
Your link is broken: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30566-3/fulltext

Thetobester
Jul 14, 2012
Genuinely surprised that even the Mail and Express are leading with Boris looking dopey, and a headline of "Millions of families will lose loved ones" Don't think that was the look the Tories wanted here.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
guy from works dad died from coronavirus, so I'm two degrees away from a confirmed case :confuoot:

apparently he hasn't been at work since his dad was symptomatic, but he was there on Monday so it must have been a pretty speedy illness. the guy is at least 55 so his dad must have been getting on 80, and if it was that quick I imagine he wasn't doing so well beforehand

hope he doesn't have it and hasn't been passing it on asymptomatically. I was only in on Monday, and pretty obsessively washing my hands, and tbh I try and avoid the guy as best I can anyway, but he does have a habit of standing right up in your personal space when he wants to talk to you so I'm obviously a little concerned

guy is self isolating for seven days, the office is still open, no mention of people working from home if possible, no instructions for field based staff to avoid the office, no total ban on customers coming to site :thumbsup:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

XMNN posted:

guy is self isolating for seven days, the office is still open, no mention of people working from home if possible, no instructions for field based staff to avoid the office, no total ban on customers coming to site :thumbsup:

:stare: you should definitely try and get something out of them

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Two people in my town have it, gently caress, it's only a matter of time before it spreads to most of us and given I live so close to a major city...

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Bbc is somehow claiming that by doing nothing the U.K. government will avoid scenes like in Italy

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

E: ^^^Well yeah, people were doing stuff in those scenes. We'll have a whole different flavour of scene!

All face to face teaching at Swansea uni is cancelled.

...from the end of next week. When lectures are over anyway.

Still frees up about 20 hours of seminars, prep & revision sessions I would've had to do though, so I'm gonna panic buy myself some beers & maybe a new game off Steam :)

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
There's a new Path of Exile league starting tonight, the new Half Life game is out soon, and I still haven't been asked to work from home, just a vague suggestion from my supervisor that I concentrate on site-based work to build up a backlog of office-based stuff.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Bardeh posted:

There's a new Path of Exile league starting tonight, the new Half Life game is out soon, and I still haven't been asked to work from home, just a vague suggestion from my supervisor that I concentrate on site-based work to build up a backlog of office-based stuff.

new Animal Crossing is out on the 20th.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Borrovan posted:

E: ^^^Well yeah, people were doing stuff in those scenes. We'll have a whole different flavour of scene!

All face to face teaching at Swansea uni is cancelled.

...from the end of next week. When lectures are over anyway.

Still frees up about 20 hours of seminars, prep & revision sessions I would've had to do though, so I'm gonna panic buy myself some beers & maybe a new game off Steam :)

This is a city where mumps has been running rampant recently so corona is going to kick the poo poo out of them.

Trades
Aug 3, 2013
Re all the ventilator chat, hospital ICUs are expanding as much as they can in preparation, taking over other wards and theatre spaces. The new spaces are less appropriate, and there aren’t enough properly qualified staff for them, but they are doing what they can.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I jokingly posted yesterday that speedrunning Coronavirus through the population as fast as possible and taking a couple of hundred thousand extra deaths in order to be back on our feet before the rest of Europe might be the kind of idea to appeal to Dominic Cummings, especially if most of the extra deaths are amongst those he considers to be a drain on society. Every action (or lack thereof) our government's taken today is making me less convinced this is a joke. Every medical expert I've heard speaking on the radio today about herd immunity sounds as if Cummings is stood behind them holding a gun to their head.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Soylent Yellow posted:

I jokingly posted yesterday that speedrunning Coronavirus through the population as fast as possible and taking a couple of hundred thousand extra deaths in order to be back on our feet before the rest of Europe might be the kind of idea to appeal to Dominic Cummings, especially if most of the extra deaths are amongst those he considers to be a drain on society. Every action (or lack thereof) our government's taken today is making me less convinced this is a joke. Every medical expert I've heard speaking on the radio today about herd immunity sounds as if Cummings is stood behind them holding a gun to their head.

No you’re right, they’re hoping to get the bulk of cases/deaths now so in winter there isn’t a Coronavirus+flu mélange and double the carnage for the few hospital beds

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

:stare: you should definitely try and get something out of them

apparently he was looking after his dad but it "hasn't been necessary for him or his family to be tested as they have no symptoms" :stare:

this is really hosed up, surely he should be isolating for at least 14 days?

looking at the NHS website the only mention of self isolation seems to be '7 days if you have a cough/fever" so I have no idea if they're even bothering to tell confirmed contacts of symptomatic cases to quarantine at all or not. if they're not then it seems a bit loving criminally negligent

I haven't been in, and I only found out by remoting into my work pc to check what was going on. everyone's gone home now but I'll send an email to the MD saying that they should be taking it more seriously and that that guy needs to stay home for longer

also, I bet the person who said "this is ridiculous, it's only killed three people" feels like an arsehole right now

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

quote:

WHO urges countries to 'track and trace' every Covid-19 case

Advice comes day after UK decides to stop community tests and only do hospital cases
x

So filled with confidence right now :tif:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Jel Shaker posted:

No you’re right, they’re hoping to get the bulk of cases/deaths now so in winter there isn’t a Coronavirus+flu mélange and double the carnage for the few hospital beds
my favourite part of this is ignoring the isolation strategy also impacts the flu

Skilbs
Jul 20, 2006

A friend's workplace has some people at home self isolating due to close contact with a confirmed case but now the guidance has changed they have all been told to come back to work unless they have a fever or cough. They were only told to start self isolating on Tuesday.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

For self-isolation entertainment: Call of Duty's free-to-play Battle Royale mode just released this week.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
All the reporting about herd immunity seems to be treating it as a beneficial result of non-intervention, when actually it's the beneficial side effect of hundreds of deaths resulting from non-intervention.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Skilbs posted:

A friend's workplace has some people at home self isolating due to close contact with a confirmed case but now the guidance has changed they have all been told to come back to work unless they have a fever or cough. They were only told to start self isolating on Tuesday.
so that's the actual government advice?

I thought there was a possibility/probability that people were contagious during the asymptomatic period?

even if there wasn't, it seems like erring on the side of caution would avoid someone going "well it's only a little bit of a cough" and then coming into work before coming down with it nastily?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/CaoIan_/status/1238144629603696642

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Nadine Dorries, a junior health minister in the UK’s government who tested positive for coronavirus earlier this week, says her mother has now been confirmed as having contracted the virus.

but who could have possibly foreseen this

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.
This has been going around twitter already but thought it might be useful to post here, it's a list of mutual aid groups if you wanna help out people who need it over the coming months: https://freedomnews.org.uk/covid-19-uk-mutual-aid-groups-a-list/

There's a couple bits of London missing off the above list currently that I know of so there's this thread also which i assume will be updating quicker: https://twitter.com/MissEllieMae/status/1238426880233148419

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Endjinneer posted:

All the reporting about herd immunity seems to be treating it as a beneficial result of non-intervention, when actually it's the beneficial side effect of hundreds of thousands of deaths resulting from non-intervention.
I already pulled a facetious "FTFY" today but imo this is an important clarification

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

bionic vapour boy posted:

This has been going around twitter already but thought it might be useful to post here, it's a list of mutual aid groups if you wanna help out people who need it over the coming months: https://freedomnews.org.uk/covid-19-uk-mutual-aid-groups-a-list/

There's a couple bits of London missing off the above list currently that I know of so there's this thread also which i assume will be updating quicker: https://twitter.com/MissEllieMae/status/1238426880233148419

Is there a sensible way to decide whether you're not at risk to help out with some of these, given it would involve contact with vulnerable groups? E.g. I've been commuting into London (train & tube) and have spent the last week sat between two people who attended a conference where there have been a couple of confirmed cases.

Should I assume I could be a carrier for the next 14 days now that I'm working from home and no longer travelling into London, or should I just carry on as normal unless I show symptoms?

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
I live in a tory majority area and just noticed today people have panic bought everything but the value brand toilet paper. There are still stacks.

loving animals.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I thought "herd immunity" referred to the situation where a disease can't gain traction because so many of the population are vaccination, not... dead.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Nadine Dorries, a junior health minister in the UK’s government who tested positive for coronavirus earlier this week, says her mother has now been confirmed as having contracted the virus.

but who could have possibly foreseen this

Like, oof, but also, lmao who indeed? How could anyone have predicted this most impossible of outcomes??

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

You're only infectious a day or two before symptoms start IIRC, so if you stay home on the weekend you'll be fairly safe that Monday.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Ms Adequate posted:

I thought "herd immunity" referred to the situation where a disease can't gain traction because so many of the population are vaccination, not... dead.

Either works but generally we prefer vaccination to death

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

Prince John posted:

Is there a sensible way to decide whether you're not at risk to help out with some of these, given it would involve contact with vulnerable groups? E.g. I've been commuting into London (train & tube) and have spent the last week sat between two people who attended a conference where there have been a couple of confirmed cases.

Should I assume I could be a carrier for the next 14 days now that I'm working from home and no longer travelling into London, or should I just carry on as normal unless I show symptoms?

Might be worth asking your local group from the above links what their suggestions are? But I'd say if in any doubt then assume you're a carrier, yeah.

(I'm myself feeling Vaguely Flu-y this evening so I'm not doing poo poo for a long while)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i mean really taking any measures against infecting yourself or anyone around you is directly going against bojo's master plan

its our patriotic duty to infect others and i fully expect roving gangs of gammons to rip my mask off and cough in my face for britane

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

It refers to the point where enough of the population are immune, which can be because you vaccinated everyone, because they developed a natural immunity due to catching it, or because everyone who was vulnerable to it died. Or a mixture of the three.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Okay so Boris' announcement was awful but at least he isn't running a series of commercials for corporations like Trump is lol

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Communist Thoughts posted:

i mean really taking any measures against infecting yourself or anyone around you is directly going against bojo's master plan

Berlin today: closing bars and nightclubs
London last night (and probably tonight as well): packed pubs with banter lads knocking elbows together then laughing it up, no one looking remotely concerned

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

namesake posted:

Okay so Boris' announcement was awful but at least he isn't running a series of commercials for corporations like Trump is lol

They're still doing something. It's terrible and inefficient but they're 'trying'. Bojo literally said 'we're going to let lots of people die' and got away with it.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Regarde Aduck posted:

They're still doing something. It's terrible and inefficient but they're 'trying'. Bojo literally said 'we're going to let lots of people die' and got away with it.

I honestly think 'You're on your own HUNGER GAMES!' is better than 'This pandemic response has been privatised."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

OwlFancier posted:

It refers to the point where enough of the population are immune, which can be because you vaccinated everyone, because they developed a natural immunity due to catching it, or because everyone who was vulnerable to it died. Or a mixture of the three.

natural immunity is of dubious efficacy too, they're pretending its 100% and really its ???%