Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Do you not have debit cards in the US?

Yes, but both of the business types that I mentioned treat debit cards differently than credit cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
https://twitter.com/ProtonVPN/status/1238493799023861761

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Sounds like our official WFH policy will kick in on Monday. However my team will be on a rotation schedule where half will be in the office while the other WFH and then flip who is where in two weeks. I can't help but feel like the point of this whole thing may be missed by those implementing it.

Hi5 to 'essential' personnel.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Sounds like our official WFH policy will kick in on Monday. However my team will be on a rotation schedule where half will be in the office while the other WFH and then flip who is where in two weeks. I can't help but feel like the point of this whole thing may be missed by those implementing it.

Hi5 to 'essential' personnel.

F

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

If they're giving away premium access (so people don't need to take care when violating copyrights), why would VPN traffic go up?

e: Nevermind, got it, people are pretending to be in Italy. Not that VPN traffic from Italy is spiking.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Because people are using VPN endpoints in Italy so they can get free pr0n

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We banned visitors so we bought a pile of lovely Android fire tablets and we're going to have people skype patients

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's Friday the 13th. Our VPN is down. Chaos reigns.

Wash your hands.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

And stop touching your face

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Proteus Jones posted:

And stop touching your face

Can I touch other peoples faces?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
didn't get out of bed or my pyjamas until 2pm today. Working from home owns

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

lol I see we are at the "buy a bunch of wireless NICs from Best Buy and shove them into people's desktops so they can take them home" part of our business continuity plan

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Internet Explorer posted:

lol I see we are at the "buy a bunch of wireless NICs from Best Buy and shove them into people's desktops so they can take them home" part of our business continuity plan

gently caress, don't tell people here.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

3 of our clients have done exactly this so far this week.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
My company is planning doing WFH and the first order of business is updating Forticlient for over 100 people asap. Asked my team if anyone looked into automating it because it requires an uninstall/reinstall and reboot in-between and was met with, "Come on man, be flexible" and then told me to just remote into every person's laptop to do it manually.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Holy balls, we just announced mandatory WFH AND folks get to take their monitors home. We've asked them to submit tickets tracking this, and have already cracked 1/6 of our user base. It's like loving black friday in our office, people just grabbing anything with a screen.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

tokenbrownguy posted:

Holy balls, we just announced mandatory WFH AND folks get to take their monitors home. We've asked them to submit tickets tracking this, and have already cracked 1/6 of our user base. It's like loving black friday in our office, people just grabbing anything with a screen.

You're never going to see most of those monitors again, I hope your your CTO realizes that

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

tokenbrownguy posted:

We did this but I have a secret stash of 50 extra monitors so I don't care if they lose / break a few.

Meanwhile there were multiple power outages at my house and now my PC is stuck on a blurry Windows screen with no login prompt, the restart button is there but shift clicking doesn't get me into Advanced Startup to troubleshoot, nor does pulling the plug during startup several times.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Psssshhhhh... Luxury!
You get a USB WiFi dongle, best I can do

Also it's funny, today with the gradual escalation of corporate communications to the point there is global carte blanche for home working until further notice, the explosion of E-mails and tickets that came in was like the opening scene of Titan AE with everyone packing their poo poo to get the gently caress off Earth.

The funny part of this is that it's taken a global catastrophe in order for IT to finally get overtime pay.
(I don't have time for that poo poo, I've been at home since Wednesday taking the kid to school and caring for baby since my wife is ill, constantly guiding people with a basic phone app setup and discovering their workstations were incorrectly setup and can't be encrypted)

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I just want to let the helpdesk guys know I'll be thinking of you next week when you're trying to diagnose everyone's lovely home connection.

Like people on a 10mb DSL connection complaining about the VPN kicking them and not understanding that yes, kids on PSN and streaming Peppa Pig in 1080p might cause that.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

didn't get out of bed or my pyjamas until 2pm today. Working from home owns

lol just lol if you don't spend your entire day in pajamas

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Super Soaker Party! posted:

lol just lol if you don't spend your entire day in pajamas

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Zil posted:

You're never going to see most of those monitors again, I hope your your CTO realizes that

Decision was made without IT consent.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Got 7 laptops on hand. CFO asks for 40 more. 90 days per HP.

Why can't you go to Best Buy?

Sure buddy.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This but Teams

https://twitter.com/round/status/1238529082960171009

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

GreenNight posted:

Sure buddy.

90 days is ridiculous though. It's really a pretty unacceptable timeline, even for 40 laptops.

Buying laptops is always a hassle but 3 months lead time is appalling.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

90 days is ridiculous though. It's really a pretty unacceptable timeline, even for 40 laptops.

Didn't get in early enough. The companies buying 2000 got there first. They said anywhere from April to June for laptops.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The Iron Rose posted:

Have...have you checked the news lately?

:confused:

MagicHateBall
Dec 11, 2002

Humans were drinking alcohol five thousand years ago, and they're still drinking it now. Alcohol is humanity's friend.

Can I abandon a friend?

The Iron Rose posted:

I work for one of HP’s biggest customers. We’re 60+ days out on new orders. Intel running out of processors to ship HP, coronavirus, and tariffs have done a number on supply lines.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Apparently my company is keeping its offices open but allowing people to work out WFH with their managers if individual people feel they need it, and saying to stay home if you feel sick. An unsurprisingly underwhelming response.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Iron Rose posted:

I can't stop laughing how complete out of touch this opinion is.

In funnier news, a previous coworker of mine now works at Varidesk and he tells me the home office supply sales are surging. Things like computer desks, office chairs, and the like are going to disappear soon if they haven't. The american work force just all shifted to work from home all at the same time. Things in relating to working from home is going to have its supply tested.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GreenNight posted:

Sure buddy.

I'll trade you a Surface Pro for 2 packs of Quilted Northern, and a gallon of Purel.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Half of the companies in the world are trying to implement WFH for the first time ASAP, seems like there might be a supply problem.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Good thing I got my fancy new standing desk order in before everyone else!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Yeah fair enough. Our suppliers are doing way better than that, but I am aware that there’s a supply crunch now. I didn’t realize how bad it has gotten for y’all!

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 14, 2020

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I wanted 1 laptop earlier this week, totally independent of any covid shenanigans and was told 60 days.

Good thing it was just to top off stock due to an unexpected new hire and not an actual emergency.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I bought all the laptops. Gotta make sure I can wipe my rear end during the global pandemic, you know?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

lol i have 3 MacBook Pro's

who's the maroon now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The Fool posted:

I wanted 1 laptop earlier this week, totally independent of any covid shenanigans and was told 60 days.

Good thing it was just to top off stock due to an unexpected new hire and not an actual emergency.

Bro you do know where all the laptops are being built right