Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

At my job we have a business continuity plan. They spend a lot of time working on it. It has a specific section for "pandemic", even.

Nobody wants to pull the trigger in implementing any of it. I've been asking what the point of the plan is if they aren't going to actually do it. Seems like a reasonable question to ask at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Even just doing it on a :capitalism: basis it would make sense to invoke at this stage because it's not getting better in the immediate future, and at least if you have to have half the workforce come into the office while you can sort out the WFH infrastructure you at least get the opportunity before any strict lockdowns come into effect.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
The "good" thing about this entire situation, regardless of how CLAM DOWN feels about it, is that even small companies are forced to think now about business continuity planning. If we would have had an openvpn appliance or a linksys router online already, the problem wouldnt have even been a problem. Or even a competent IT guy/firm.
But everyone is so busy with work that stuff like this is not even on the radar. And when poo poo hits the fan, that's what we get.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Well clam down lives in a country that’s civilized so he doesn’t understand the issues we have here. He’s got his own problems. Like you know. Finding a place to live that’s not 5k a month.

But this is the IT thread where you should only poo poo on me and dilbert and that guy that lied about having a new job to get a raise.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

It is super easy to set up MFA with Google Authenticator on SSH with Linux and I would highly recommend that (or your mfa app of choice ) if you’re making ssh publicly available.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

Buy laptops with little sliders on. Alternatively if you have a marketing department that likes giving away merch, get them to give away the stick on webcam covers instead of dogshit quality USB drives.

I just hung a printed picture of goatse facing my webcam, suspended about 3" away by tape and paperclips.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I just hung a printed picture of goatse facing my webcam, suspended about 3" away by tape and paperclips.

I wear a goatse mask. Can’t be too safe

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite

jaegerx posted:

that guy that lied about having a new job to get a raise.

Was there closure on that?!

J
Jun 10, 2001

Just a couple days ago the only communication from HR was "wash your hands and stay home if you're sick." To my surprise today they stepped it up and sent out notice that all travel for all employees is cancelled indefinitely, all meetings in all conference rooms are cancelled, and you are not to go to any of our locations other than the one your desk is in. Still complete silence about WFH though. I am going to pester my boss and ask if he's heard anything about any potential WFH discussions. Our VPN infrastructure is not ready for 100% WFH, and we have very few laptops to give out. A surprising number of folks don't own a computer at home so they would need a company laptop to WFH. I am looking forward to quoting a price for a bunch of laptops and having a c level forward me a 2019 black friday ad asking why don't we just buy this instead? :suicide:

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
My place is testing WFH capacity Tuesday and Wednesday of next week. See how much it impacts our capacity to do work.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

jaegerx posted:

I wear a goatse mask. Can’t be too safe

Instead of popups, Lowtax should sell Goatse bandannas.
I'd buy one.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Shut up Meg posted:

I'm imagining someone talking to the HR lady and trying to explain why a picture of a couch is offensive.

Imagine HR hearing it wasn’t a fake background but his home office.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Tab8715 posted:

TL;DR - Working at home is fine and all but not all the time.
I enjoy working from home to such an extent that I don't even know how I'm going to reenter the traditional work force at this point. If I could work from home for free, or work in an office for my current salary, I'd have to think about it. This poo poo is thoroughly good.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

gently caress all, we're getting reseller pricing of under £350 a month for 1Gbps services in London and that's for ethernet leased lines. 10Gbps is about 4x that.

poo poo, that's it? Wow. Okay then.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

poo poo, that's it? Wow. Okay then.

That’s London. The biggest sonet in the world.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Internal announcement came out, all non-essential corporate employees are wfh through April.

Guess who’s considered essential?

:negative:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Volguus posted:

Now a question for the IT people: for a very small company (5-ish people) what's the best way to remote in? We have, at the time, ssh being port-forwarded to computers. It's definitely not scalable, but for a few computers it works just fine. A VPN would probably be better but nobody is neither capable nor willing to janitor an openvpn server. Does AWS offer something like that? Somehow to open an VPN connection to AWS from the internal network and have people connect to that AWS VPN from wherever and join the internal (NAT-ed) network of the company?

Everyone is on Linux (except the CEO who's on a Mac) but we do have a couple of windows machines that may require RDP in (to do a Windows build if we absolutely need it).

I remote in with Moonlight (Nvidia Game-streaming Client).

I don't normally remote in, but when I do, I have 60fps HEVC and 3ms latency since my house and work are both fiber and a few miles away.

If you want something slightly more professional, try TeamViewer... they'll audit you if you don't pay for it when using it for corporate use though.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Fool posted:

Internal announcement came out, all non-essential corporate employees are wfh through April.

Guess who’s considered essential?

:negative:

Challenge that poo poo.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

If you want something slightly more professional, try TeamViewer... they'll audit you if you don't pay for it when using it for corporate use though.

TeamViewer doesn’t have a great security track record these days, I’d try to use a different service if possible.

Podima posted:

Challenge that poo poo.

Maybe, need to find out if next weeks board meeting is still on first.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 13, 2020

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Volguus posted:

Good ideas. Thanks.

Can I pipe up with a suggestion of a Palo Alto NGFW as a VM? they are relatively easy to set up and do VPN fairly well. if you wanted to go with a small appliance like the 220, then a partner might have a trial unit you can put in.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I'd go with the SSH bastion host first. Everyone should already know how to use key file authentication, it's very easy to set up, and your researchers should already know how to ssh. You can then think about a better system without having to rush it.

Set up a minimal system, create users, put their public keys in the .ssh/authorized_keys, disable password auth from anything but the local network.

On clients you can configure ssh to jump through a specified bastion host for each host that matches a pattern. Red Hat has a nice little document about it: https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/ssh-proxy-bastion-proxyjump

So you can do poo poo like this in your ~/.ssh/config:
code:
Host bastion-org
  HostName bastion.your-org.tld

Host *.your-org.tld
  ProxyJump bastion-org

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

J posted:

Just a couple days ago the only communication from HR was "wash your hands and stay home if you're sick."
At the beginning of this week the facilities manager scheduled a deep clean of the office, and requested IT urgently clean all the meeting rooms... he was nicely told to gently caress right off.

J posted:

A surprising number of folks don't own a computer at home so they would need a company laptop to WFH
We've actually had some people come forward and say they don't have a home Internet connection or don't own a smartphone, what loving year is this?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Super Slash posted:

We've actually had some people come forward and say they don't have a home Internet connection or don't own a smartphone, what loving year is this?

I know old execs who still use a flip phone from like 2006 or what ever because they're technologically inept. I haven't heard of dudes not having internet though.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Super Slash posted:

At the beginning of this week the facilities manager scheduled a deep clean of the office, and requested IT urgently clean all the meeting rooms... he was nicely told to gently caress right off.

I worked with a dude in a job that was about 30% travel that claimed he didn't have a credit card, and had to be paid upfront for all his travel expenses in cash. Turns out he would pocket the flight money and then just drive everywhere. Like hours and hours of driving to pocket the couple hundred bucks for a plane ticket. I suppose he'd show them the cost of the flight, get the cash, book with a debit card?, adn then cancel the flight without telling anyone.

He was forty and had a couple of kids, and didn't have a credit card?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I can't believe I left my laptop at work yesterday. Mum's sick with a cold so I can't come in. At least I don't need to do newbie setup on Monday now.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Defenestrategy posted:

I know old execs who still use a flip phone from like 2006 or what ever because they're technologically inept. I haven't heard of dudes not having internet though.

I bet if you asked, they would say they "have wifi" at home, but not internet.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I worked with a dude in a job that was about 30% travel that claimed he didn't have a credit card, and had to be paid upfront for all his travel expenses in cash. Turns out he would pocket the flight money and then just drive everywhere. Like hours and hours of driving to pocket the couple hundred bucks for a plane ticket. I suppose he'd show them the cost of the flight, get the cash, book with a debit card?, adn then cancel the flight without telling anyone.

I mean, what is his company going to do if he says he doesn't have a cc? Force him to get one? Credit check him to see if he's lying? Maybe he had a nice car and loved driving.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Divorced maybe? I've seen guys do similar when an ex has either ruined their credit or they're looking to skim some cash off the top for payroll garnishments (child support).

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sprechensiesexy posted:

For background: My relationship with my manager is bad, he does not like me, I do not like him. He does not like me challenging him, I do not like a manager who only acts as a broken mail server occasionally forwarding irrelevant emails. I am on a temporary contract thanks to him and I'm only sticking around while I look for :yotj:

So my contract is expiring end of the month and today I had a 1-on-1 with my manager to discuss it and instead of that he starts nitpicking about poo poo I'm not doing right according to him. Guess I was more burnt out on this job than I realised so I told him he was a bad manager, I was not interested in his feedback and that I would not be renewing my contract.

Gonna sit out the rest of my time at home and spend my time productively.

Apparently my manager disagrees with me working from home, so he sent me an email asking to explain my unexcused absence with his manager and HR in cc. His manager started yapping about the privilege of home office and the policies that we have for it. I mentioned that based on my talks with other team members I know for a fact that my manager does not enforce these policies, unless you just resigned and he's looking to retaliate. And I thanked my manager for doing it so blatantly in writing with HR in copy.

My accounts still work, no one has replied to me, so I doubt anything will come of it but it's hilariously entertaining to call out my retard manager like this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's very much a PR exercise but if anybody is facing the insane demand to bring a new phone system online then 3CX are doing a basic version free

https://www.3cx.com/blog/news/covid-19-remote-working/

Can be run up in Azure, AWS, Gcloud etc. On prem if you really want.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bonzo posted:

Divorced maybe? I've seen guys do similar when an ex has either ruined their credit or they're looking to skim some cash off the top for payroll garnishments (child support).

I intentionally don't have a cc because I had problems managing money when I was younger and don't want the temptation.

It's a minor inconvenience when getting a rental car or a hotel, but otherwise hasn't been a big deal.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Everyone: "PANIC PANIC PANIC WE ALL HAVE TO WORK FROM HOME AND AVOID ALL HUMAN CONTACT RIGHT NOW!!!"

Also Everyone: "Hey there's a pizza party in the conference room to celebrate PI-day."

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It's Friday the 13th. Our VPN is down. Chaos reigns.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's Friday the 13th. Our VPN is down. Chaos reigns.

Hail Satan

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Everyone: "PANIC PANIC PANIC WE ALL HAVE TO WORK FROM HOME AND AVOID ALL HUMAN CONTACT RIGHT NOW!!!"

Also Everyone: "Hey there's a pizza party in the conference room to celebrate PI-day."

lol we've got this going on too, except it's lunch to thank tech staff for all their work this week dealing with coronavirus tech challenges. 🙃

J
Jun 10, 2001

J posted:

Just a couple days ago the only communication from HR was "wash your hands and stay home if you're sick." To my surprise today they stepped it up and sent out notice that all travel for all employees is cancelled indefinitely, all meetings in all conference rooms are cancelled, and you are not to go to any of our locations other than the one your desk is in. Still complete silence about WFH though. I am going to pester my boss and ask if he's heard anything about any potential WFH discussions. Our VPN infrastructure is not ready for 100% WFH, and we have very few laptops to give out. A surprising number of folks don't own a computer at home so they would need a company laptop to WFH. I am looking forward to quoting a price for a bunch of laptops and having a c level forward me a 2019 black friday ad asking why don't we just buy this instead? :suicide:

Panic is in full swing now - everyone wants to work from home, just non stop chatter in the office today about covid and working from home. Nobody is doing any work. Management is now pressing us to increase vpn capacity and prep for full company wide WFH. When we respond back with what level of capacity that would take, management says "No way, we don't even have that many people! I'll get the list from HR!"

They got a list from HR. Turns out management has no loving clue how many people we have and we are not exactly a big company to begin with. Fuckin lol

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Sprechensiesexy posted:

my retard manager

Don’t.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

J posted:

The best thing is that all of those laptops are coming from China, and likely back-ordered for months at this point. Unfortunately if you're trying to prep now, you missed the boat. Hopefully the execs learn something from this? (:chloe:)

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/03/ars-readers-share-their-stories-of-coronavirus-related-hardware-shortages-and-more/

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

my mentally-deficient manager

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Fool posted:

I intentionally don't have a cc because I had problems managing money when I was younger and don't want the temptation.

It's a minor inconvenience when getting a rental car or a hotel, but otherwise hasn't been a big deal.

Do you not have debit cards in the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Do you not have debit cards in the US?

Yeah but banks will give a big gently caress you if your accounts get cleaned out due to hax. CC's are much safer.