Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hrolfr
Aug 9, 2006
Do you think it comes in, like... cherry-gina?
Events at the boutique hotel where I work started canceling this week. No cases (detected) yet in my city. One person was tested and failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Hypothetically speaking how long would I have to quick my tech job and work in the food industry to gain the power of asbestos hands?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

captkirk posted:

Hypothetically speaking how long would I have to quick my tech job and work in the food industry to gain the power of asbestos hands?

A year or two probably? But...why?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

A year or two probably? But...why?

Just making sure I understand my options for the next time I burn the tips of my fingers cooking and then have to alternate between typing and holding an ice pack all while wishing I didn't have fully healthy nerves in the tips of my fingers.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

captkirk posted:

Just making sure I understand my options for the next time I burn the tips of my fingers cooking and then have to alternate between typing and holding an ice pack all while wishing I didn't have fully healthy nerves in the tips of my fingers.

I mean, you don't have to quit your job to do that. The next time you burn yourself, just open up a youtube video of someone screaming abuse at you, and then instead of going for the ice pack just touch the pan handle/inside of the oven/hot oil 2-3 more times exactly how you just did it, while making sure not to gently caress anything up.

I say this, currently typing with no issues after having cut a pea-sized chunk out of the tip of my dominant-hand index finger on the side of an oyster shell earlier today.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Canuckistan posted:

There's places in town that seem to be perpetually empty. They have to be in the negative and I wonder how/why they're hanging on. Perhaps they're counting on the summer tourists but can three decent months carry you for the rest of the year?

We're pretty quiet outside of the warmer months, a combination of having a large outdoor area and being in a touristy town.

But from mid-April to late-August we can average 4-5k a day in sales, on a roughly 70% GP. ~£386k largely covers rent (80k), utility bills (20k) and wages for the year.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Canuckistan posted:

There's places in town that seem to be perpetually empty. They have to be in the negative and I wonder how/why they're hanging on. Perhaps they're counting on the summer tourists but can three decent months carry you for the rest of the year?
There's that, but also, if you own the land and the building, you can coast off the appreciating value of the real estate and family labor for an eternity. Restaurants are like stars; based on their size and heat, they can burn out many different ways.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Restaurants are like stars; based on their size and heat, they can burn out many different ways.

Amazing.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So does anyone's restaurant have a plan for when the staff inevitably gets infected? I'm trying to gauge what the norm will be. Close for two weeks? Keep being open and try to keep it hush hush? I'm guessing it will be the second one generally, but so many people can't afford two weeks of no paycheck, I assume that people will come in no matter how sick they are.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Cancellations started this week for us too.
One event trying to cancel is one that happens every year that brings in over $400,000.

All we keep hearing is wait for the paperwork before going crazy ordering for events.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'd imagine the drop in travel in general (both business and pleasure) is hurt you in particular. Good luck dude.

He's talking about community testing for coronavirus. The very short version is that the early strategy in the US was focused on keeping the virus out of the country, rather than preparing for a pandemic which requires community testing so that health authorities can effectively stay ahead of the disease. That means testing general population, at-risk individuals, etc. As an example, right now the Washington State count for the disease is ~100 people, when in all likelihood it landed here about 6 weeks prior to the first positive test results, and if the infection rate numbers are to be trusted, there are probably 500+ individuals with it in Seattle alone. Surveillance style testing gives us a much more accurate picture of where we stand, and allows for much more effective planning. So far the US has failed at that.

And now you have something to talk about with that resident.

Thanks for the info! However, he hasn't been stopping to chat like he usually does. Weird.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Well I finally did it. I got outta the industry.....by getting into a pretty bad car wreck. I'm gonna be outta work for quite a bit 'till after some surgery and rehab. I was wondering what all I can do in the mean time. The accident happened in SC where I lived, but I've had to move to NC to stay with family while I heal. I saw that you file for unemployment in the state you previously worked in instead of the one you lived in. Does the same apply for SNAP/EBT benefits? Never applied to any benefits before. Are Medicare and Social Security the same thing if you are disabled? Feeling a little overwhelmed, but at least I now have a sweet little Sagat from Street Fighter Scar on my chest.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

odinson posted:

Well I finally did it. I got outta the industry.....by getting into a pretty bad car wreck. I'm gonna be outta work for quite a bit 'till after some surgery and rehab. I was wondering what all I can do in the mean time. The accident happened in SC where I lived, but I've had to move to NC to stay with family while I heal. I saw that you file for unemployment in the state you previously worked in instead of the one you lived in. Does the same apply for SNAP/EBT benefits? Never applied to any benefits before. Are Medicare and Social Security the same thing if you are disabled? Feeling a little overwhelmed, but at least I now have a sweet little Sagat from Street Fighter Scar on my chest.

poo poo man. I don't have any advice for you since I'm not American, but good luck with the healing.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

And I'm back in the industry after a year and change out,, but I think I found a good space this time. Set schedule, daytime shifts only, and after my first shift despite the place being new its running surprisingly smoothly. Owner/Management are flexible and actually seem to listen/follow advice from their employees. And the place is busy as heck, big sales numbers for the size of the shop. Fingers crossed things stay cool+good and i don't regret coming back to the industry.

odinson posted:

If you haven't already I'd go through the healthcare.gov website and apply for an insurance plan with all your current/relevant info, and that will trigger your local medicaid/snap/whatever benefits office to contact you to enroll you into any and all relevant programs. Or at least that's how it worked in PA/FL.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

So apparently Tom Douglass is temporarily closing all of his restaurants and laying off their staff because business is down 90%. People are mad about the laying off part but I imagine that's just so they can all collect unemployment right away until they're ready to re-open.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Republicans posted:

So apparently Tom Douglass is temporarily closing all of his restaurants and laying off their staff because business is down 90%. People are mad about the laying off part but I imagine that's just so they can all collect unemployment right away until they're ready to re-open.

He just settled a lawsuit for 2.4 million dollars over back pay, so I'm not sure that's the reason he laid them off. You can get unemployment even if an employer just cuts your hours.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Darden (and Walmart) announced paid sick leave today - is this one of the signs of apocalypse?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
From the post good tweets thread

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

LOL was looking forward to some extra time off before the spring break since they cancelled in-person classes for the rest of the quarter but guess who's been doing such a darn good job they're having them single-handedly keep the cafeteria open for faculty and students living on campus? And now is needed to serve on a buffet line this weekend because allowing guests to serve themselves is too much of a health risk?

Oh well, at least they're letting me wear a headphone in one ear on the line so I don't die of boredom before corona gets me.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Instead of shutting down like Tom Douglas, Canlis (Seattle's only jacket-required restaurant) is pivoting to takeout/delivery: https://canlis.com

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

I hope people eat out less because it means I get to work less for a little while

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
If how loving mind-bogglingly stupid people have been over this is any indication, they will in fact eat out even more, because otherwise the terrorist-virus wins :bahgawd:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Republicans posted:

Oh well, at least they're letting me wear a headphone in one ear on the line so I don't die of boredom before corona gets me.

You can do it friend. I'm still doing the thing at the hospital. At least I'm not in direct patient contact so my risk is minimal.

e - jesus christ my av text box got obnoxiously long with the latest gangtag. And I wouldn't have it any other way, because they're all kickin rad.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 13, 2020

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Welp things are turbo hosed at my joint all events through at least April are cancelled. Skeleton crew going to be running things for now. I'm low man in the senerioty scheme so I'm probably going to be off for a bit.
I've still got unemployment filed from January when it was slow and we're union so it'll be ok.

Spent my last day today cleaning out and reorganizing the stations walk in.

Hermit mode activate!

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
My employers official stance so far is “Wash your hands and wear gloves”. I have PTO banked up and wouldn’t mind the vacation so of course we stay open. It’s not like 90% of our customers are elderly or otherwise have potentially weak systems from long term abuse of methamphetamines.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
My restaurant is still fully booked for the week, but anticipating many cancellations and an eventual turn to takeout/delivery if things get too bad here in Portland, OR.

Chef assured me he'll do whatever he can to take care of both F/BoH. I assume we'll run a skeleton crew and have the rest go on work insurance-tied unemployment, if that's possible.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

My new place (just started last week) hasn't been offering many hours, but the chef seems to really like me and keeps swearing he'll get me more work. Tonight he calls me up around 7:15 asking if I could come in, which honestly surprised me because it's a Thursday and the few weekday shifts I've had have been dead with a capital D. I really would have come, I need the money, but 1) I have a pretty upset stomach today and would've been scampering off the line to hit the head constantly, doing no one any good; and 2) since I wasn't scheduled and didn't feel good, my husband took my car and I probably couldn't get a bus in any timely fashion. I felt terrible about politely declining (just told him I was sick) and he said "that's fine, I know this is crazy short notice; get some rest." He was cool about it.

My husband, who works at the co-op grocery directly across the street from my store, came home and instantly flopped into bed, exhausted. They, like all those news stories you keep reading about places like Costco having bare shelves, got absolutely pounded, $35K during his 3-10 shift alone. We haven't even had a corona case in our part of the state (though statewide cases just jumped from 2 to 9), and The Panic is starting.

I guess everyone went to his store to stock up on kale and oat milk and then decided "hey let's go across the street for tapas and cocktails before the apocalypse!" :shrug:

We don't do delivery, not even DoorDash/UberEats/etc. I am sooooo glad I don't work at that poo poo Floor pub anymore, because between March Madness and everyone staying home, I'd probably have gone crazy and dunked my hands in the 8 basket fryer just to not have to work there tomorrow and face another chicken wing.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Good news! March Madness is cancelled.

bad news for me, i work at an irish bar now and was banking on a windfall from st. pat's

stringless fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 13, 2020

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I work at a place that primarily does carryout and delivery.

We are across the parking lot from one of two Costcos in town.

Pray for me.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

As a certified cicerone...

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

As a certified cicerone...

Certified cicerone who doesn’t even know the proper terminology. It’s Dirty Glass Mafia or #dgm

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Certified cicerone who doesn’t even know the proper terminology. It’s Dirty Glass Mafia or #dgm

TBF you can tell from his response that he's totally a cop.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Gotta love the news articles popping up about the poor restaurant owners who care so much about their employees. They wish they could close for the outbreak but can't because their employees "depend so much on them."

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
lmao one of my coworkers just came back from spending a weekend with some friends who all tested positive for corona. Coworker has been trying to get swabbed and tested but has been completely unable to get anything scheduled (has been turned away from multiple clinics and not a single person is answered the hot line)

On the upside she only worked four shifts at the restaurant before realizing and getting mandatory isolation.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Mezzanon posted:

lmao one of my coworkers just came back from spending a weekend with some friends who all tested positive for corona. Coworker has been trying to get swabbed and tested but has been completely unable to get anything scheduled (has been turned away from multiple clinics and not a single person is answered the hot line)

On the upside she only worked four shifts at the restaurant before realizing and getting mandatory isolation.

RIP Mezzanon.

We've been absolutely hosed by a combination of the weather (3 large storms, 3 weekends in a row), a general downturn due to Brexit and then plague 2020. I'm considering trying to pick up a second job.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Raikiri posted:

RIP Mezzanon.

We've been absolutely hosed by a combination of the weather (3 large storms, 3 weekends in a row), a general downturn due to Brexit and then plague 2020. I'm considering trying to pick up a second job.

You think anyone is hiring right now?

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Hospitals :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Amazon.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Instacart and UberEats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Speaking of. Our current plan so far is that we're stopping self serve stuff in our cafe, as well as for the doctor lounges (ie salad bar, soups, and the self serve salads for doctors) for the time being. And our servers who take food upstairs need to sanitize their carts each time they come back with them before taking their next set of food. Things have been quiet this week. And might be the start of next week.

But a week or two... That will be something. Thankfully no cases yet in my county.