Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Geoj posted:

This usually falls under the "personal responsibility" umbrella. Can't afford health care? You don't have to die at home but you can't die here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGytDsqkQY8&t=49s
Shouldn't apply to hospitals, but :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

noninterference i hope

I wish

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

The irony? that song's about having a baby.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Someone infect me now so I can just get it over with already.

Anyone know how to remove or at least disable a car alarm system correctly? I just bought a car with one and I'm pretty annoyed with it already.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Anyone know how to remove or at least disable a car alarm system correctly? I just bought a car with one and I'm pretty annoyed with it already.

It's highly dependent on it being installed correctly. If you're annoyed, it probably wasn't.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Goober Peas posted:

It's highly dependent on it being installed correctly. If you're annoyed, it probably wasn't.

And removal difficulty is typically inversely proportional to the quality of the installation.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

gently caress.....Well is there a way i can at least disable it until i can figure out how to get it the gently caress out?

[e] it's this system here looks pretty cheap and simple

https://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-PRO...AAFSNYR52ANEKBX

I'm afraid if I just start removing poo poo the car won't start or run

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 13, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

My 8 hour shift turned into a little over 12 hours.

Why? #1, we were 3 short. One of them being the fastest stocker we have (also the overnight lead for my dept - his father is in ICU, so good reason to call in). Another being the 2nd fastest - he got promoted to customer because he stopped giving two fucks and started just showing up when he wanted to, usually once or twice a week at most (FT, so scheduled 5 nights a week). The other has a regular pattern of calling in on weekends; he's been with us less than 3 months, he's already on a "40" (which is the final writeup stage; one fuckup after before anything falls off and you're gone, but it take a year for poo poo to fall off).

We got 10 cases of bleach in. Only 1 was actual liquid Clorox (3 bottles). Another was powdered Clorox. The rest was store brand. We need probably 2 full pallets to fully restock bleach alone. Before we could stock it, it was just a pile of cardboard on the floor. We also only got one brand of sanitizing wipes in - Lemishine, so not a trusted brand for actual virus killing stuff. We got ~20 cases in, but that's the ONLY wipe we got.

We're not even bothering to face/front/whatever your company calls it anything at this point, poo poo is flying off of the shelves faster than we can stock it. I got kicked out after 12 hours by the store manager. I looked at my boss and just said "you just don't want to pay OT!" in a joking tone of voice. He laughed and told me he knows he's not gonna bonus for a few months over this, but yes, OT is part of it.

TP? We got half a trailer of it (~15 pallets) when we ordered 100 pallets. We sold out of TP less than an hour after open. When I clocked out a bit after 10, every working register was open (we have 16, 3 are down for various reasons), lines were wrapping through aisles, and I was so loving thankful that we have a mobile checkout app that just requires scanning a barcode (employees have a dedicated checkout terminal in the breakroom, though no restricted items can be purchased if you use that terminal - that includes bulk water and any cleaning products, also includes alcohol).

I'm not gonna lie, I'm loving worried. Not about getting sick, but about the panic buying. Our warehouses have run out of a lot of the important stuff. The only reason I can get important stuff is because we keep a mobile app terminal online 24/7; I'm able to buy some stuff during my lunch break (stuff that isn't limited). The big limited thing is water, I don't give two fucks about that since I'm on municipal water. Finding something to wipe my rear end with is gonna be interesting very soon, even buttwipes (like Dude Wipes) don't stay on the shelves. I'm not worried about getting sick, I'm worried about being able to keep myself fed and clean, moreso if I get quarantined. The mobile app terminal is our cheat code, but we're one of <5% of stores that have it, and our access cards to actually get in/out after hours only work on our own stores (so we can't just waltz in through another store's employee entrance after hours).

Even just trying to stage pallets on the floor just before close last night had us getting mobbed - people trying to yank load-bearing tomato sauce cases out from the bottom of a pallet (hey fuckface, Mt Can is over 3000 lbs and nearly 8 feet tall, do you REALLY want that falling on you?). Customers swarming employee-only areas to get the two cases of TP we didn't put on the salesfloor (because they didn't fit in their designated area... they were set to go out an hour later).

This was a tiny section of the line when I left @ 10am... it was winding through the front aisles on one side, and through drug/gm/pharmacy on the other - easily 200+ people in line. We have 16 full service registers (2 broken at the moment, 13 were open, 14th closed because it's an OHSHIT register where the actual register works, but scanning poo poo has been broken for months, so it's hand-key only). 8 SCOs, 2 mobile app terminals, plus 1 mobile app terminal in the break room.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 13, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I wonder how long these lines will last, if I can wait a week or two for more TP is it gonna be back to normal? Assuming no supply chain issues, surely now these people have 100 rolls at home and are good?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

I wonder how long these lines will last, if I can wait a week or two for more TP is it gonna be back to normal? Assuming no supply chain issues, surely now these people have 100 rolls at home and are good?

toilet paper will never be in stock again. They won't stop until there is no room left to move in their house. Life now is only about 2 things, finding toilet paper and using toilet paper.

A week later: toilet paper back in stock everwhere, doesn't leave the shelf because everybody already owns 8,000 rolls. "hah, i bet we'll never fall for that again"

10 years later, somebody coughs: GRAB THE SHOTGUN HONEY, WE'RE DOWN TO 7,500 ROLLS

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

MomJeans420 posted:

Who knows. Supply chains are going to be affected. Schools are cancelling classes, and those kids have to go somewhere. Home is the most likely place, which means parents need to stay home with them. Those parents have jobs, like in paper mills and in trucking/distribution/warehousing. Some of those parents are likely to catch the virus, and some of them will have loved ones catch it and need to care for them. Some of them are going to die from it. Everyone is going to have to postpone non-essential medical treatment, which means people are going to be in deteriorating condition, and need more time off once this starts to slow down.

If it goes like Italy (and it's likely to, IMHO), we're in for a very rough 4+ months.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Sounds like a need to buy a bidet toilet seat adapter. I loved the Japanese toilets when I was in Japan, my rear end never felt cleaner.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

sharkytm posted:

If it goes like Italy (and it's likely to, IMHO), we're in for a very rough 4+ months.

Yep, hopefully it goes better here than in Italy, it's a shitshow over there.

I was just talking to my wife about if this goes on for months.....It will still be months after that until poo poo goes back to normal, everyone is going to be in hiding and reluctant to go back out and do normal people things again. This is gonna be really weird.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

This is gonna be really weird.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Costco here, at 1pm on a weekday, was more busy than the day before Thanksgiving. The parking lot is very nearly full and the cart wrangles were very busy keeping carts in front of the doors. I haven't been to Costco in a month so maybe that's the new normal.
Intel switching from 'feel free to work from home' to 'effective immediately, we're recommending you work from home' a few hours ago probably got a lot of people out of the office and into stores about when I was out. Especially since it's Friday afternoon.

The shelves of non perishable goods were less full than normal but everything still seemed available aside from paper products. I couldn't be bothered to go all the way back to the tp area but from a few aisles over it looked pretty empty. I'm only like 2/3rds through the Costco pack I bought a year ago so I'm in no hurry to get more.

I haven't heard of anyone getting shot because of a toilet paper dispute yet. I wonder which state is going to win that race. I assume Texas and Florida are the front runners.

Galler fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 13, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Speaking of getting shot I suppose I need some more rounds in case poo poo gets REALLY weird.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Our HQ just got evacuated because one of our engineers recently did some work at a nearby university campus that has a suspected outbreak. Glad I don't work in that city anymore...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Social distancing going well I see

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Galler posted:

I haven't heard of anyone getting shot because of a toilet paper dispute yet. I wonder which state is going to win that race. I assume Texas and Florida are the front runners.

Not shot yet but a gun was pulled then taken by an employee, now I wish I bookmarked it. Happened in walmart lol

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

She's back!

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/medicine-hat/1999-bmw-540i/1482496286?undefined

this is at least the third owner since i sold it

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wonder why :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Based on the brake dust accumulated in the ~1500kms since i sold it, it's obviously been owned by 5 idiots in a row.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Needs thermostat and battery read that as "needs cooling system and major electrical work"
Has exhaust leak "needs a complete exhaust and manifolds"

:lol: among other things most likely

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

My workplace decided late yesterday, and sent an email this morning, that all employees will work from home starting Monday.
Well, hey thanks for that. I'm IT, a literal computer toucher, and I have to deal with this crap all of a sudden. We got literally half a day's warning yesterday. Most of these folks have never WFH before. *Then* they said they could take "necessary supplies and equipment" which then had to be clarified (to one of their monitors, *if* we could find a stand for it -we switched almost everything to desk-mounted adjustable arms last year.) It's been a bit of a madhouse. This on top of all the stuff I already needed to do, with four new hires starting Monday that we did not get notice or info for until mid-week. At least everyone already has a laptop, the VPN software is already on 90% of them, and 2-factor is already set up for accessing other systems. Right now we're only doing this until the end of the month.
Literally right now, at 5:30 PM, is the first opportunity I've had to shitpost. I'm tired and I hurt, and there will be a *lot* of simulated killing tonight. I'ma kill any fool who gives me the finger or cuts me off in traffic in GTA V.

I, of course, being a computer toucher will not be working from home.
On the plus side, empty, quiet office, and I can use *their* shitpaper.
I should buy a bidet for the house.

My daughter's school just extended Spring Break two more weeks.

There's usually two fuses, one battery + and one ignition +. Pull 'em, then try to start the car. If it's been wired with a fail-secure starter interrupt, you'll need to do a bit more work.

Goober Peas posted:

meatpimp posted:

And removal difficulty is typically inversely proportional to the quality of the installation.

There's also that.
Wish you were in the Dallas area - I'm good at that poo poo. I used to put them in.

gently caress.....Well is there a way i can at least disable it until i can figure out how to get it the gently caress out?

That's always a possibility. Pull the fuses, try it, put them back if it won't start. Shouldn't hurt anything.
That's not a bad brand - I have several K-9s - and it should have the two fuses that I describe in the harness. Red and yellow for the wires, as I recall. There may be a white wire with a fuse as well - that's the flashing lights output.

edit: what's it doing to annoy you? I've had pretty good luck with K9 stuff.
edit 2: hang on - why the gently caress does the URL say "Audiovox PRO9776A", the actual product is a K9 Mundial, and the page says it's made by Avital? That's three separate unrelated alarm/electronics companies.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 14, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Oh my god, people are loving stupid. Every aisle was some variation of this (except booze, which, I reiterate my first point).

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

LloydDobler posted:

I'm interested to see if the trade show my company is planning to go to in Germany will still be held, or if the travel ban will still be in place on May 1. Their website says that as of now it's still on. We just spent $25k to build a prototype machine for the show, and we're scrambling to get a couple of the parts out of China. I was worried we wouldn't get the parts on time but now it may not matter.

One day later, and they postponed it. The show is off for now. So my super hot high priority project is now a no-deadline sleeper project. I killed myself through January and February to get this thing done and meet a mid-april deadline. And delayed a real project with a real customer, which we now have to go suck up to for the delay.

Interesting times. Nobody in southwest Denver seems to be freaking out, I went shopping last night and it was busy but otherwise normal, and today I went out for a bit and traffic was as heavy as any other friday at 3. I'm actually excited because my daughter gets a 3 week spring break starting now, so I'll get to do some TV binging with her while we wait out the sickness, instead of never seeing her as was the plan.

Stay safe, AI goons in crazier areas.

Also not to get too morbid, but hey goons with kids and such, make a will. I just updated mine, it's not signed and therefore not official, but it exists and at least my daughter will know what my wishes are, IF the worst happens. I'm pretty robust, but I do have asthma. On a similarly morbid note, I'm making a playlist of songs I want played at my funeral. I'm fully expecting to not use it for years to come but hey, never hurts to be prepared.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 14, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone else have any family and/or friends in complete denial? I asked my brother if he had any N95 respirators just in case (he's a painter/handyman) and he thought I was joking. He thinks it's just an old person's problem and everything will be fine. And I have a buddy that's just acting like nothing is happening, head in the sand, doesn't want to talk about it.

I'm thinking that if it does get really bad, the panic will really set in when all these people in denial realize it ain't a joke or something to ignore.

Darchangel posted:

Wish you were in the Dallas area - I'm good at that poo poo. I used to put them in.

Thanks man, I'm gonna take a shot at it tomorrow. Mind if I PM you if I'm having issues?

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 14, 2020

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Anyone else have any family and/or friends in complete denial? I asked my brother if he had any N95 respirators just in case (he's a painter/handyman) and he thought I was joking. He thinks it's just an old person's problem and everything will be fine. And I have a buddy that's just acting like nothing is happening, head in the sand, doesn't want to talk about it.

I'm thinking that if it does get really bad, the panic will really set in when all these people in denial realize it ain't a joke or something to ignore.

I'm sitting in the hospital waiting on my mom to have her head CT, listening to the security guards who were hired specifically to do coronavirus duty complain about how it's a complete hoax, after handling papers from every patient headed in or out, while eating and taking smoke breaks. We're hosed.

I'm gonna be spending a lot of time in hospitals the next couple weeks, wish me luck! My mother's new brain-boob takes precedence for now, but I wonder how long that's gonna last.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Anyone else have any family and/or friends in complete denial? head in the sand people in denial

Yeah, everyone I know who watches Fox News is convinced it's just mean democrats (including the ones that live in China and Iran) who are perpetrating this horrible hoax to hurt Daddy Trump's strong winningness. All the real people are taking it seriously though.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Well it finally slowed down at my local DG so I went in and the freeze dried fruits were fully stocked, nothing was really stripped except the tp and water. Must have been why it wasn't busy anymore. I still have 2 rolls which is like more than a months worth but I found a stray 4 pack on a random shelf so I got it in case this dumb poo poo keeps going.

I also got Chinese at the place near me and he did say that business has been slow. Usually on Friday all 3 people work but it was just the two people and there was only one other order besides mine and that's crazy slow on a Friday. Looks like I'll be getting a lot more Chinese food for a while. It's literally a mom and pop restaurant and they are super nice so I don't want them to suffer from people being dumb

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Me, to my wife just now: are you aware of the level of irony and/or lack of awareness this bumper sticker conveys in context?

Wife: unconcerned shrug

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oooooffffff. Sucks.

Odds are that alarm only has one circuit that actually interrupts anything, and it's probably the biggest wire in the whole thing since it's expected to trigger the starter. My TJ had something similar installed and the actual starter wire from the ignition switch was the only one that was actually cut and spliced, so I had to re-splice it together. Everything else was T-taps.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Looks like the rest of the country is figuring out what it's like to go shopping before a hurricane :v:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

American consumers doing their part to prop up the economy :911: o7

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tremek posted:

Me, to my wife just now: are you aware of the level of irony and/or lack of awareness this bumper sticker conveys in context?

Having nice things isn’t morally incompatible with wanting others to have nice things.

It’s not like voluntarily paying more taxes would make a dent in your country’s issues, even if you could.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Tremek posted:

I don't understand? I love it if I see people that can afford expensive cars support Bernie. We're all in this together, AMG or 1992 beater, against the real powerful interests. Unless your wife is a billionaire. In which case I still am happy to see that they understand providing health care is a net benefit and worth some of their taxes.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

People don't comprehend how much a billion is.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Looks like the rest of the country is figuring out what it's like to go shopping before a hurricane :v:

Hah no kidding, in the north it's snow and they run on bread and milk

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Previa_fun posted:

People don't comprehend how much a billion is.

Yeah, relatively, a billionaire has 1000x as much as a millionaire. A millionaire has 1000x as much as someone with only $1000. Millionaires should feel like they are on our side, but there is a lot of messaging to convince both them and us (non-millionaires) that we are enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Powershift posted:

Having nice things isn’t morally incompatible with wanting others to have nice things.

It’s not like voluntarily paying more taxes would make a dent in your country’s issues, even if you could.

You’re not wrong. I voted in the primary for him even though in a fairly literal sense I’m voting against my own immediate interests if he were able to raise my taxes, but as he won’t get the nomination much less make it to office I’m content with taking a moral stand I guess.

If I’m being honest I’m more concerned about some dipshit keying it due to misplaced rage