Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/no-boris-johnson-isnt-behaving-like-donald-trump-on-coronavirus_uk_5e6bf216c5b6dda30fc8edef?vso

quote:

No, Boris Johnson Isn’t Behaving Like Donald Trump On Coronavirus
Our scientific advisers are playing a crucial role, and in good faith

Edit:

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

e: to be clear the school open one needs clarification

The article I just read suggests this is because closing schools will decrease available staff for the NHS, as they'll need to take time off work to care for them. The government study from a few years back posted ITT earlier suggests that closing schools has minimal impact.

Edit2:

vv "..if they are closed unnecessarily".

Prince John fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

Schools could be forced to stay open wtf

ANYTHING YOU SOW
Nov 7, 2009

Prince John posted:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/no-boris-johnson-isnt-behaving-like-donald-trump-on-coronavirus_uk_5e6bf216c5b6dda30fc8edef?vso

Edit:

The article I just read suggests this is because closing schools will decrease available staff for the NHS, as they'll need to take time off work to care for them. The government study from a few years back posted ITT earlier suggests that closing schools has minimal impact.

Edit2:

vv "..if they are closed unnecessarily".

Surely the solution to that is quite simple - close the school for everyone except the children of NHS staff who are too young to be home alone.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

I would really like to be in a position where I could take faith in this kind of appeal to authority and decorum, but the general tone in this piece of "please stop being rude and just wait and see if people die before questioning your well meaning appointed betters too strongly, citizen" is a tad vexing. not to mention maybe not the best strategy given recent evidence in how public opinion is swayed?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So if the plan is for as many people as possible to get the virus for 'herd immunity' and also for police to have special powers over people suspected of having it, that's a pretty worrying situation.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Its not even a U - Turn since they arent going to put this measure in place until next weekend.

gently caress these ghouls.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

part of me thinks a little freak like cummings is seizing on this as an opportunity to crash the NHS disruptor style, and that's why the plan is so weird and suicidal.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

So if the plan is for as many people as possible to get the virus for 'herd immunity' and also for police to have special powers over people suspected of having it, that's a pretty worrying situation.

If not enough people get it for herd immunity, the police will come round and rub your face into the armpit of an infected

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Lmao it's dither and delaaaaay

Mebh
May 10, 2010

So I was having a fun evening with two good friends, one from Iran! Talking and drinking way too much. Went to ASDA to get more booze.
Not ten doors down I see sirens. There's an ambulance and loads of folks in masks literally wheeling a loving corpse bag out of a house. Everyone in hazmat suits... One starts yelling at me to stay back.

What. The. gently caress.

I'm getting very very drunk now.

Polish guy with no hands in asda said he has 100 percent proof of life after death and not to worry about corona. He'll tell me more if I want when I see him next.

Fuuuucking hell.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mebh posted:

Polish guy with no hands in asda said he has 100 percent proof
Got this far and was about to suggest that'd make a good hand sanitizer, but no such luck. Stay safe.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
smart move to wait for all the sports events to be cancelled before calling for them to be cancelled, makes it clear that you are forward-thinking, pragmatic and proactive and really builds public confidence in your judgement and leadership

I suppose waiting till the weekend won't actually make much difference as most mass events will be on the weekend (and most of the biggest ones had already been cancelled by the organisers obv)

also they're still being poo poo on basic things like just saying "companies should help everyone who can work remotely to do so", which is free, not particularly economically harmful, not something people are likely to be "fatigued" by and which they could have done weeks ago

the guardian posted:

Whitehall sources said the country would move toward widespread home-working, although details had yet to be thrashed out.

but hey at least they got the newspapers to say they're finally doing something!

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

One of my work friends kind of off-handedly mentioned her partner was sick earlier this week. Didn't think much off it because she just said he was throwing up all night. Today at lunch she told us he had "flu like symptoms". When pressed she revealed he had been off work all week with this, and his office had been told he was self-isolating.

We managed to convince her to go home but the damage is (likely) already done and I'm fully prepared to not be in the office next week. This is someone who has been obsessively following the news, keeping up to date with everything, constantly talking about the symptoms. And she... just decided it didn't apply to her, I guess.

This is going to get real bad, real quick. I think the government wants that to happen. A quick short burst on the NHS is easier to explain. We're in a pandemic. There's not enough beds. We couldn't do anything. A longer, more drawn out period would highlight the underfunding of the NHS. They don't want that. Who cares if it sacrifices the olds and poors.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Cool, cool. So with the emphasis on kinder, gentler politics, everybody will come out and loudly condemn her, right?

Cool, cool. So we're now changing health policy in response to public outcry, not on scientific evidence? (Obviously this is the right decision, but clearly made for the wrong reasons)

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

XMNN posted:

also they're still being poo poo on basic things like just saying "companies should help everyone who can work remotely to do so", which is free, not particularly economically harmful, not something people are likely to be "fatigued" by and which they could have done weeks ago

see if everyone starts working from home at once then there will be a sudden mass dip in productivity as everyone takes a few weeks to gets past the wanking stage. we need to have it carefully staggered so as to keep the economy afloat

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Grassroots pandemic management ie the big society Cameron kept going on about

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I'm trying to finish writing an article from home and literally all I've done so far is jack off and play video games and drink out of boredom

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm trying to finish writing an article from home and literally all I've done so far is jack off and play video games and drink out of boredom

Didn't know you worked for the guardian.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Russell approves.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

loving hell this is good poo poo

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Mebh posted:

So I was having a fun evening with two good friends, one from Iran! Talking and drinking way too much. Went to ASDA to get more booze.
Not ten doors down I see sirens. There's an ambulance and loads of folks in masks literally wheeling a loving corpse bag out of a house. Everyone in hazmat suits... One starts yelling at me to stay back.

What. The. gently caress.

I'm getting very very drunk now.

Polish guy with no hands in asda said he has 100 percent proof of life after death and not to worry about corona. He'll tell me more if I want when I see him next.

Fuuuucking hell.

Jesus.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Just said on Sky news that a yougov poll shows 55% think the government is doing a good job on Coronavirus :smdh:

Trump said might be going to put UK on his ban list (is this because the golf has been cancelled?)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just said on Sky news that a yougov poll shows 55% think the government is doing a good job on Coronavirus :smdh:

That's the group that's going to die so it's okay.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

OwlFancier posted:

Lol

Tbh I'd love to be paid 60k to sit on my arse and fart out garbage takes

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

55% positive when nothing has happened yet seems pretty poo poo :v:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Yeah that basically means half the people polled think thr gov is doing a bad job as we head towards a horrible pandemic, noice stuff.

One thing I'll say for the ol' roni is it's got me bookmarking this thread again for the first time since the election

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Took about 30 days for 1 in 200 over 70’s in Italy to get the virus and 1 in 8 of them died.

Johnson’s already facing front page stories about potential triaging options.

There’s likely going to be a story soon about rationed ventilators and maybe then people will recognise what a colossal oval office he is / has made of this

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The people of this country are as thick as pig poo poo so they won't.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I made really good cheeseburgers tonight. And I was happy. loving hell we're all gonna die.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Mebh posted:

I made really good cheeseburgers tonight. And I was happy. loving hell we're all gonna die.

don't worry, only a percentage of us will die! doesn't that make you feel better! the rest of us must stay alive in order to carry out furious vengeance on what will remain of the ruling classes

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It occurred to me that the fact that the government are so desperate to reduce economic and logistical disruption that they’re willing to let thousands of their own voters die at least bodes well for the end of the Brexit transition period.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Angepain posted:

don't worry, only a percentage of us will die! doesn't that make you feel better! the rest of us must stay alive in order to carry out furious vengeance on what will remain of the ruling classes

A percentage of me is already dead

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Angepain posted:

My local CLP are full of melty loving melt blairites. Its so endemic and head noddingly agreed on that I don't know how to even begin. Decorum and both sides bad PS Corbyn is why everything is bad.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Mebh posted:

Polish guy with no hands in asda said he has 100 percent proof of life after death and not to worry about corona.

Just keep washing your hands and you'll be- oh.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Asgerd posted:

Just keep washing your hands and you'll be- oh.

Yeah he had literally no hands... Just. Yeah . OK.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
a girl I know from a few years ago has been posting on facebook non-stop about how this is all overblown by the media and it's all scaremongering and only 0.5% of people under 50 will die etc etc etc (I have been calling her out about the hospitalisation rate but it's fallen on deaf ears)

tonights post is pics of her by the pool as she's just flown off for "two weeks self isolation" and she's gutted that she might have to put future holidays on hold. unbelievably tempted to comment, "it's just the flu lol" but whatever.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

0.5% of the population of the UK is still like 300 thousand people lol.

So it's basically like saying it wouldn't matter if someone wiped newcastle off the map.

(if they are a southerner this may not elicit much response)

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

OwlFancier posted:

0.5% of the population of the UK is still like 300 thousand people lol.

So it's basically like saying it wouldn't matter if someone wiped newcastle off the map.

(if they are a southerner this may not elicit much response)

i know it's absolutely mind boggling. Another one posted "well if we're going to get it we're going to get it, it's just your time", I said "if your child trips down the stairs and splits their head open, and the hospitals are overloaded and there's no space left, are you going to tell your child it's just their time?" no answer to that one

and I told a friend (in real life) two weeks ago to go and do a big shop, she went loving yesterday and put on facebook that it was a disgrace that the shelves were almost empty

so loving angry

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

For most people this is the first time ever that the news has been something that happens to them instead of just another TV show. And to be fair I include myself in that, I’m having trouble thinking of another big event that affected my life to a degree where I couldn’t have ignored it if I’d wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

So, I'm all the way over in Australia but my parents who are in the 80s and my sister and her family are all in England (parents in the north west, sister in the south west), and I'm freaking out about Boris' herd immunity plan. Like I'm genuinely worried for my parents because there is no way I can help them other than urging them to stay at home and not let anyone in. My mum has asthma too and has had so many health issues over the years.
They won't have stocked up either because my dad thought it was all overblown, so my sister is helping with online shopping for them.

I honestly feel so helpless from being so far away and not being able to travel back home now :smith:

Sorry to drop this on you thread.