Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
holy poo poo you can buy camostat mesylate FOR LABORATORY USE ONLY?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Paramemetic posted:

Yeah it's pretty much this. Like I said, I went in to rule out flu, not for the coronavirus, but yeah like the window on testing for this thing and trying to limit it was weeks ago.

If you think you might have come down with a mild case, wouldn't you prefer to know if you have immunity now or not?

If testing were free and easy it would be taken for granted that you would be tested regardless of whether it was part of an effort to limit it or not.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

mystes posted:

To be fair, it's good that some people like you with no direct contact with other known cases are getting tested, though, because it will prove how widespread it is when you get positive results.

Someone who has access to tests should just tell the government to go gently caress itself and try testing random people on the street to see what percentage of the population has it in a major city.

If I get confirmed and nobody else has confirmed a case without direct contact to an overseas traveler I will absolutely hit up some news places with those hot "yeah no I haven't had direct contact turns out it's spreading on its own stateside who knew" takes, despite this has been super obvious for weeks, because we're an idiot nation

Mozi posted:

If you think you might have come down with a mild case, wouldn't you prefer to know if you have immunity now or not?

If testing were free and easy it would be taken for granted that you would be tested regardless of whether it was part of an effort to limit it or not.

Yeah I obviously told them to pull the trigger on the test because I'd prefer to just know I have a thing and live in my house for a few weeks than have it be an unknown.

Do we even know if you get immunity from having it? I thought there were cases where people tested positive, then negative, then positive again, but that there's a chance the negative tests were false negatives, so we just don't know? But I'm not a virologist so like I dunno.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 14, 2020

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Korean Boomhauer posted:

i feel like poo poo. i'm all woozy and theres a mild headache and im cold as hell

revel in Nurgle's touch, my child

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
paywall, but the title says it all

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...ysol-wipes.html

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

rump buttman posted:

what % death rate would you say for:

South Korea style response by everyone starting today?

Middle road agony?

tromp?!?

well the county wont close schools here bc officials are doubled way down on "asymptomatic spread isnt possible" so i think we can go for the record

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i've been trying to limit going out for a week now because of virus, but went down this nearby restaurant / meat market place to buy some sausages and cheese to add to the pile. avoiding the supermarket for now

only one couple in there eating and one person on staff. the couple are regulars, and are asking the worker "how's so-and-so?"

"oh, she's in the hospital. she got really sick and her throat closed up and she couldn't breath."

:stare:

there are no reported cases here

also the T.V. in the corner was on mute but was on the news: NATIONAL EMERGENCY DECLARED with images of medical workers in hazmat suits

zombie movie

I've had that, it's not corvid its quinze. Or however its spelt.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
truly the most efficient system on earth

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

over the years i carved out a good corner in a bar frequented by lots of olds

all the regulars are still here. all of em.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Danger posted:

corona virus destroys the testes lol

coronials are gonna be the last generation, conceived in the time between the beginning of the quarantines and the infection of the majority of mankind

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
So if someone recovers from the CV and has all the antibodies and poo poo in their blood, can you harvest their blood to cure your own corona? By the way, where in DC do you live, op?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

If I get confirmed and nobody else has confirmed a case without direct contact to an overseas traveler I will absolutely hit up some news places with those hot "yeah no I haven't had direct contact turns out it's spreading on its own stateside who knew" takes, despite this has been super obvious for weeks, because we're an idiot nation
"Community infections" are already getting some attention when they are confirmed, but so few people in that situation are able to get tested in the first place that it's hard to prove how widespread it is.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Torpor posted:

holy poo poo you can buy camostat mesylate FOR LABORATORY USE ONLY?

please do not make injectable drugs at home

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

if you pound escape on reload the paywall doesnt load

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1238597087362715652?s=19

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Raiad posted:

coronials are gonna be the last generation, conceived in the time between the beginning of the quarantines and the infection of the majority of mankind

have they checked the ovaries? or do those not have ace2 receptors?

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

if anything comes out of this at least you all learned how to soak and cook beans

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

The Saucer Hovers posted:

over the years i carved out a good corner in a bar frequented by lots of olds

all the regulars are still here. all of em.

I've estimated that there's like a 40% chance that boomers will eventually get the American equivalent of the Cultural Revolution on their asses if they don't clean up their act but uh

that might not be necessary after all

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Lawman 0 posted:

World is a gently caress

100,000,000 dead boomers

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

tweeting hard, thank you!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1238600593779896321?s=21

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Man this one got me

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Stevie Lee posted:

anyone have a link handy that summarizes the seriousness of this poo poo to dumb uninformed family members?

my sister is skeptical of all the things I'm telling her

I made a post several pages back that puts these 0.2%, 0.4%, 1-3% CFR rates for different ages into context, for a typical person and their immediate friends and family.

tl;dr it's not good

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

The dude running Fyre Festival would have done a better planning job in the U.S. at this point.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/HelenKennedy/status/1238594496650268673

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

My good friend is an ER doctor. He said the instructions are no sick leave for anyone for any reason going forward.

If you get covid, you will just be assigned to treat covid patients

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Zas posted:

the accelerationists must be so excited

I may very well have it and I cannot express to you how excited I am for the collapse.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Entorwellian posted:

The dude running Fyre Festival would have done a better planning job in the U.S. at this point.

can't wait for the Internet Historian episode about that one time three million boomers died

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Zas posted:

the accelerationists must be so excited

do you mean the left wing ones who think this is the fastest path to cambodia, the right wing ones who this this is the fastest path to rahowa or the centrist ones who think this is the fastest path to potus hillary?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

When do we start sacrificing incels

mystes
May 31, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

This is so wrong on so many levels.

Testing is critically important to slow the threat. His wife is still working and they needed to know two days ago if he had it or not so she could stop going to work.

TESTING IS IMPORTANT

full stop.
Also, in case it's not clear I absolutely believe that everyone should be tested in theory. If you live in any other country like South Korea that's actually doing testing, get tested ASAP, because what you are saying is 100% in an ideal situation.

The problem is just in the US where the numbers of tests that are being done is a complete joke and in addition to limited availability in the first place, the government seems to be intentionally trying to limit testing to cover up the situation. In most cases, people who don't have any connection with a known case are going to have to fight with doctors to get tested and may still not be able to get tested even then, so if you're working at home just act under the assumption that you're already infected.

I was hoping that Trump was going to make widespread testing available, but he didn't. He should probably be put on trial for that, but I guess that will have to wait until after we see how many millions of people die from this.

In the meantime, I stand by my assertion that everyone should just assume they're infected at this point.

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

Thesaurus posted:

My good friend is an ER doctor. He said the instructions are no sick leave for anyone for any reason going forward.

Holy poo poo

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Marx Headroom posted:

i snagged a shitload of rice, oil, vitamins, and 3 boxes of those chewy chips ahoy with reeses cups in them

I also bought 3 boxes of cookies for my Corona stockade but I already ate 1.5 of them :ninja:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

The Pussy Boss posted:

When do the competent serious adults show up and loving do something about this.

LOL the democrats are trying to put Joe Biden in charge in 8 months

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Thesaurus posted:

That sounds like a waking nightmare

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Thesaurus posted:

:tif:

mystes
May 31, 2006

In a week or two it's going to be like a warzone anyway, but unless testing in the US gets a lot better fast, they're going to start infecting "covid patients" who aren't actually "covid patients."

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bawfuls posted:

My 67 year old father (in general good health, retired with the spoils of boomer-dom, gets lots of exercise etc) is driving me fuckin' nuts with his terminal case of normalcy-bias.

He's currently in Utah on a ski trip, will drive home to SoCal tomorrow. He had previously planned to fly to Europe for more skiing in like 3 days, but I was able to convince him to cancel that yesterday. Now his plan is to fly to Montana on Wednesday the 18th, then join a friend for a skiing road trip from there through parts of Canada and the Northwest, before I guess driving home.

He's not a Fox-guzzling chud but he still seems to think this is a great idea and when I told him he shouldn't be traveling he said, "I'd rather be in the hinterlands than in the city for this anyway"

On the one hand, traveling by car, staying in rural areas, and spending time outside in nature away from people is probably not a bad call. But this still seems dumb to me.
How aggressively should I push my father to bail on this trip? Seems to me that even if he doesn't get sick and die, just by traveling that much he's risking spreading it more to other people.

Bearded Whiteguy
Mar 2, 2018

I APPROPRIATE THE PLIGHT OF OTHER RACES TO FILL THE VOID OF BEING A FAT USELESS FUCK

Danger posted:

corona virus destroys the testes lol

corona is stored in the balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Thesaurus posted:

Lets meet at the convid swap ward