Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Martman posted:

Ugh, of course there's one more thing I didn't realize you could do in this game.

I'm still chugging away on besting the Pantheon of Hallownest. First time I got to NKG and died halfway, last time I got to PV (a fight I consider easier than NKG) and died halfway through. Progress! :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

C-Euro posted:

I'm still chugging away on besting the Pantheon of Hallownest. First time I got to NKG and died halfway, last time I got to PV (a fight I consider easier than NKG) and died halfway through. Progress! :negative:

NKG is still one of my favorite boss battles of all time. So goddamn good.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nephzinho posted:

NKG is still one of my favorite boss battles of all time. So goddamn good.

I love the title intro and music kicking in. It rules.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I bought my 3rd copy of this game on Friday (switch digital, switch physical, and now PC). Holy crap it plays different on PC. I had to completely relearn how to pogo.

Gonna go for Godmaster now.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Cartoon Man posted:

They all deserve a spin-off game.

we already don't deserve team cherry and how much they do with so few people, I'd rather not work them to death thankyouverymuch

(but yes in principle :agreed:)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
How does the bonus lifeblood work when doing the Pantheons? I'm wondering if I should keep chipping away at doing the lower Pantheons with the different bindings to unlock it, or just try to power through Pantheon 5 without it since I keep coming really close on my attempts.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

C-Euro posted:

How does the bonus lifeblood work when doing the Pantheons? I'm wondering if I should keep chipping away at doing the lower Pantheons with the different bindings to unlock it, or just try to power through Pantheon 5 without it since I keep coming really close on my attempts.

I did Pantheon 5 without any lifeblood.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Unlocking the first lifeblood milestone puts a lifeblood cocoon in each rest area that gives you three extra masks, and each further milestone adds an extra bonus mask to those cocoons.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

They'll usually not super relevant because they'll get burned off in early fights or the extra hits they grant won't be enough to tip the scales in the harder fights. They're more useful for letting you power through some of the earlier easy fights like lost kin more aggressively.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
*Lore question*

Before obtaining the Void Heart and essentially becoming the avatar for the will of The Abyss itself, The Knight is essentially a regular bug who was cast aside along with all their other siblings apart from The Hollow Knight into The Abyss.
While there, they become infused with The Void, which takes the form of The Shade when The Knight's shell breaks. In terms of abilities, The Knight at the outset can do little more than swing their nail, jump, and absorb Soul to heal their shell. It's only through combat and acquiring charms and learning spells and techniques that The Knight becomes stronger, culminating in becoming Void Given Form (but again, only after obtaining the Void Heart.)

Is all of this about right? Does The Knight have free will due to their bug shell, or are they acting on the will of The Abyss, or is it some combination of the two?

Is the ability to absorb Soul something inherent to The Knight, or to The Void inside of them? I would assume it's inherent to The Knight as you can still absorb Soul without The Shade, but I'm not sure. Essentially, I'd like to know how much of a role The Abyss/Void has in granting The Knight their abilities, if any, and whether or not The Abyss/Void is what is driving The Knight forward.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Wasn't the story was added in after the game was mostly complete? I'd not look too hard into it.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Serephina posted:

Wasn't the story was added in after the game was mostly complete? I'd not look too hard into it.

Maybe, but it's fun to think about!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I don’t think the PC was ever a regular bug. Like the Hollow Knight and all its siblings, it’s a void construct wearing a mask to make it look less creepy.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

skasion posted:

I don’t think the PC was ever a regular bug. Like the Hollow Knight and all its siblings, it’s a void construct wearing a mask to make it look less creepy.

This is my understanding as well.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

skasion posted:

Hmm, but if it's a child of The Pale King and The White Lady, one of whom seems to be a creature of light (King) and one of whom seems like some other kind of semi-immortal creature (Queen) and neither of whom seem to be made of Void themselves, how can The Knight be entirely Void?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

skasion posted:

Yes, the knights are empty shells filled with Void. The King spent an unknown but presumably very large amount of time experimenting with making those empty shells and never quite got it right, apparently never quite getting them empty enough. He thought he got it with the Hollow Knight, but he was wrong, or (Path of Pain spoiler) maybe he was right but the love for his creation was enough to "corrupt" it. I've always sort of read it as their emptiness is what allows them to manipulate the different elements in the world: Void, Soul, and Lifeblood (I think Infection/Radiance is an element too but you don't manipulate that one personally).

I've said this a million times in this thread, but to the question of just how much free will the capital-K (player character) Knight has is an open question, with the main piece of evidence withheld from us: just where the heck was the little guy before the game starts? Was he really out of the city? If so, for how long? How did he get there?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Nanigans posted:

Hmm, but if it's a child of The Pale King and The White Lady, one of whom seems to be a creature of light (King) and one of whom seems like some other kind of semi-immortal creature (Queen) and neither of whom seem to be made of Void themselves, how can The Knight be entirely Void?

"Child" can mean a lot of things, especially if you are a tree. The White Lady clearly has a complicated relationship with her offspring.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I want to say that non-Void bugs were shown being able to manipulate Soul, right? I'm probably wrong.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Said it before and I’ll say it again Hollow Knight is literally the exact same plot as the original BioShock

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Nanigans posted:

I want to say that non-Void bugs were shown being able to manipulate Soul, right? I'm probably wrong.

Yeah it's how you got the Soul Master and the like.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

OzFactor posted:

I've said this a million times in this thread, but to the question of just how much free will the capital-K (player character) Knight has is an open question, with the main piece of evidence withheld from us: just where the heck was the little guy before the game starts? Was he really out of the city? If so, for how long? How did he get there?

Hornet says the Knight is "born of two voids" implying that he spent enough time outside Hallownest to get mind-wiped

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

morestuff posted:

Hornet says the Knight is "born of two voids" implying that he spent enough time outside Hallownest to get mind-wiped

Yeah I mean we start out in Howling Cliffs, so I think it’s reasonable to say we were coming back from the outside world.

A better question is how the hell we got there to begin with since the last time we see ourselves before the game begins, it’s sinking into the abyss.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

morestuff posted:

mind-wiped

is this confirmed to be a thing somewhere or did people just take a thing I took very metaphorically to be literal

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Bleck posted:

is this confirmed to be a thing somewhere or did people just take a thing I took very metaphorically to be literal

In-game you can point to Quirrel losing his memories as he spends time outside Hallownest but apparently there's some pre-order comic that makes it more explicit

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

so are we just not bothering with spoiler tags anymore?

Between the Broken Vessel and various other corpses of Knight-looking bugs you find in locations like Deepnest, there must be some way to escape the Abyss.

edit: if anyone needs something vaguely hollow knight shaped to fill the void, the new Ori game cribs a bunch of ideas off Hollow Knight and executes them well while being generally more open/metroidvania-ish than the first so it's definitelt worth checking out

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Mar 13, 2020

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Holy crap, Ori and the Will of the Wisps (the sequel to Ori and the Blind Forest) came out a couple days ago and it's like a lovechild of the original and Hollow Knight. I'd be offended at the amount that's borrowed if I didn't love it.

For those who haven't played the original Ori, it's a platformer Metroidvania game with a heavy emphasis on the platforming, less emphasis on combat; you just press a button to shoot projectiles that automatically target the nearest enemy. You get experience points that upgrade skills along one of three paths, and getting every upgrade is pretty expected. You do a ton of exploring for health/energy upgrades and do a lot of avoiding deadly obstacles while platforming.

Now the sequel has come along and the combat is much more fleshed out with a sword being your first weapon (even including downward attacks that let you pogo on enemies), the healing system from Hollow Knight is given almost immediately, there are more NPCs with extremely HK-like dialogue sounds, the points you get are much more of a Geo-like currency rather than XP for levels, there's a mapmaker wandering around who you have to buy maps from, and... basically a replica of HK's charm system. Admittedly so far I haven't encountered any charms that take up multiple slots, but otherwise it is extremely similar with the addition of some charms being upgradeable.

The original Ori was truly a great game in many ways but for fans of Hollow Knight I think the sequel is just gonna be nearly perfect. I'm only an hour in but it seems fantastic.

Martman fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 13, 2020

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
stop, stop it, my body can only become so aroused

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Bleck posted:

stop, stop it, my body can only become so aroused
also it's free with Xbox PC Game Pass :getin:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

original ori is like 4 quid on steam at the moment so I Shall Purchase That

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Would I want to play the original first?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

Would I want to play the original first?
It is extremely worth a playthrough, and if you completely hate it then you probably won't be into the sequel either. It has excellent art, music and sound, even if (like me) you don't get completely sucked in by the cutesy characters. It's also pretty short; I did everything there is to do in it including a ridiculous no-death run and have 26 hours of playtime.

One of the main things that I could see being an issue is that as it ramps up the difficulty there are a ton of instant death mechanics, which can definitely annoy fans of Hollow Knight. It lets you create checkpoints pretty much at will though, and overall I'd say HK is a lot harder.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Combat in HK is way harder, especially on some of the bosses.

Ori has a weird mechanic where you can "fling" yourself off of glowly little orbs, which takes a LONG time to master, but it opens up a ton more of the game like the double-jump in HK. When you first are forced to use it and it takes forever to realize how to do it right, and then there is a chase part where you gotta outrun some rushing water that can take forever to do and re-do if you don't have that mechanic like super down yet.

Otherwise it's a great Metriodvania game. Like #2 to Hollow Knight's #1. Definitely worth playing the first Ori before this new second, as if the second is better than the first then it will be hard to go back after playing the latter.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Martman posted:

It is extremely worth a playthrough, and if you completely hate it then you probably won't be into the sequel either. It has excellent art, music and sound, even if (like me) you don't get completely sucked in by the cutesy characters. It's also pretty short; I did everything there is to do in it including a ridiculous no-death run and have 26 hours of playtime.

One of the main things that I could see being an issue is that as it ramps up the difficulty there are a ton of instant death mechanics, which can definitely annoy fans of Hollow Knight. It lets you create checkpoints pretty much at will though,i and overall I'd say HK is a lot harder.

I will say that the first game didn't quite grab me due to being more linear and having terrible combat but I'm loving the second.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I grabbed the first Ori game on steam since it was cheap, played 2 hours and had hit a roadblock before wandering around wondering how to progress. Just before two hours are up, I quit and looked at a guide. Turns out I was right, I was supposed to push this block into a pit of spikes then jump off it onto the wall overhead, except I'd been doing that for ages and the game refused to register a wall-grab when rubbing my face up against it. I just assumed it was the super float-y controls and I'm not actually supposed to go up there. Maybe the rock was mis-aligned, idk. So refunded.

Nothing gets my gander up as much as a platformer with sluggish responsiveness, there was a lot of floating and other angering bits elsewhere. Guess I've been spoiled.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I beat the original Ori and liked it a lot, then tried to replay it and decided I hate it now because of the combat. I was going to skip the sequel, but if they've improved the combat that much....

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

They completely reworked the combat, there's no trace of the old game's combat system in it.

Also, most importantly, you get a pogo hop like in Hollow Knight.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Oh, I should have figured for an MS Studios game, it requires Windows 10. I've had and seen too many bad experiences with Win10 to upgrade, and it's only on PC and Xbone. Unless someone can confirm that it doesn't actually require Win10/DX12, I'm sitting this one out.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

guppy posted:

Oh, I should have figured for an MS Studios game, it requires Windows 10. I've had and seen too many bad experiences with Win10 to upgrade, and it's only on PC and Xbone. Unless someone can confirm that it doesn't actually require Win10/DX12, I'm sitting this one out.

I've got a huge grin as I type this, but I'm quite serious when I say... WINE on windows might actually be a workaround for you?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Martman posted:

Holy crap, Ori and the Will of the Wisps (the sequel to Ori and the Blind Forest) came out a couple days ago and it's like a lovechild of the original and Hollow Knight. I'd be offended at the amount that's borrowed if I didn't love it.

Martman posted:

also it's free with Xbox PC Game Pass :getin:
...been downloading it for 7 hours now.. still not done. Should have been 1hr at most.

And yes I tweaked some settings in the windows store to allow more bandwith, restarted things etc..
It must be popular, or Microsoft just hates me because I'm playing it for free off a trial game pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com

Martman posted:

It's ok. You can be offended by all of the things they kept from the first game, like the endless chase/escape sequences. Nothing like combining escape mechanics with incredibly loose controls. I'm looking at you sandworm escape sequence.