Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

Not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, it closing now means that the ability for the virus to transmit is severely cut down. So we can get it under control again before I'm supposed to go. On the other hand, time is running out. :ohdear:

Of course it's all moot anyway if Trump doesn't rescind his ban on European flights. The plan was to fly on the 18th of April and visit WDW 21st of April.

European flights aren’t banned, it’s Europeans who are banned. So depending on your citizenship or you and your partner that may or may not affect you. The flight schedule is just super restricted, eg Switzerland went from like probably 40 daily flights from Zurich and Geneva to 2 daily flights, only from Zurich, for the next 30 days. No one will be -stuck- (unlike Wuhan) but yeah all non-emergency travel is pretty much over for a while.

I don’t see this getting under control by Easter to be honest since the US isn’t really even testing yet... but you will be able to reschedule for free at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Kaddish posted:

Kind of odd the hotels are staying open. We were supposed to stay at Animal Kingdon Lodge on the 21st. My wife read they are offering free date changes but not sure about cancellations.

They probably figure it might be hard for some people to cancel their vacations entirely; I know some carriers aren't being great about refunding airfare or waiving change fees.

Tim Whatley posted:

Friend of mine just rescheduled to April, they said very accommodating. Let's.... see if April sticks.

We should start a pool. My money is on "no." We're supposed to go to Universal in mid-May and I'll be surprised if this is over. But I think Saladman is right; as long as operations are being mucked with, you'll be able to change things pretty freely. If things are closed for more than a couple months, the rush after the place reopens will be pretty significant, I think.

If we want to be super classy about this I'll bet we get some sweet rear end discounts on the other end.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I just need electric, food for me and the animals, medication, and toiletries. I'm on a well and septic in the middle of nowhere. My husband is in Washington state and can't come home. I don't know what folks in cities are going to do.

...be fine? There isn't any significant danger to utilities at the moment, and no one's really expecting any.

Edit: I should qualify that “fine” is relative. Corona-chan is gonna take us all into the abyss.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 13, 2020

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
For anyone wondering, they are extending current APs two extra weeks

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

couldcareless posted:

For anyone wondering, they are extending current APs two extra weeks

Extending them by one day for each day the parks are closed.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
For Disneyland and WDW or just WDW?

Cause oh man, if my Disneyland AP gets extended, I will be very very happy.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm wondering when their systems will recognize the extension because we are trying to rebook for first week of May with hopes that this mess is handled by then but can't do fastpasses...

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

BlueBayou posted:

For Disneyland and WDW or just WDW?

Cause oh man, if my Disneyland AP gets extended, I will be very very happy.

It's for everybody

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
This means my pass that expires 4/1, hopefully I don’t have to renew until 5/15 now. Save me some delayed monies there WDW and I’m gonna handsomely reward you with more of my monies.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Rebooked for first week of May, cheaper flights now too! Let's hope the world gets back to some form of normal before then.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

couldcareless posted:

Rebooked for first week of May, cheaper flights now too! Let's hope the world gets back to some form of normal before then.

Social distancing saves lives by spreading out a roughly equal number of infections over a longer time period. This keeps the number of infected at any one time below the capacity of the health system, so nobody dies due to rationing. If you look at the graph going around of St Louis and Philadelphia’s responses to the 1918 Spanish Flu, you’ll note that Philadelphia’s epidemic took a few weeks to resolve, while St Louis’s took months. But the total dead are noticeably lower for St Louis.

I have an international trip scheduled for mid-May also, so I would like for things to resolve by then. But I’m doubtful that it’ll be safe in the US by then. The last projections I saw were for a peak in Covid-19 activity in May.

Edit: just got an announcement that my conference in May is canceled. Glad I sprung for refundable plane tickets!

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 14, 2020

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

couldcareless posted:

Yeah, as Grundulum said this is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. At this point I'd be surprised if anything mass tourism related reopens before June or July, and even then I imagine it will come with tons of restrictions. Anyway, not a big deal for your trip as you can just keep kicking that can down the road until whenever it is that things do reopen. Much of Europe now seems to be closed until April 30th, and I'm sure the rest will follow soon. This is already a 2 week delay from just earlier this week, when the first announcements were to close everything until after Easter (April 13).

It's probably time to quarantine the Tourism & Travel forum.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Saladman posted:

Yeah, as Grundulum said this is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. At this point I'd be surprised if anything mass tourism related reopens before June or July, and even then I imagine it will come with tons of restrictions. Anyway, not a big deal for your trip as you can just keep kicking that can down the road until whenever it is that things do reopen. Much of Europe now seems to be closed until April 30th, and I'm sure the rest will follow soon. This is already a 2 week delay from just earlier this week, when the first announcements were to close everything until after Easter (April 13).

It's probably time to quarantine the Tourism & Travel forum.

I think it's fine to just chatter about it. Besides, people get excited about upcoming trips. And with all the misery this is going to cause, maybe planning a Disney vacation on here will give folks catharsis.

On the other hand I just ordered 30 bags of pet food and I'm about to go get a shitload of livestock food. I can always eat hay if things get rough, right?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Man, I know, I've had my face glued to every bit of information I can gather. I'm grasping at straws for good news this week, just let me have this one

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
“self-quarantine” is a joke. Nothing is stopping self quarantined people from going out and infecting the rest of us. And not enough of us are taking social distancing seriously. Look at the mobs in the grocery stores and the packed bars and restaurants. Look at the people packing hollywood studios yesterday, the people professing that they’re still going to church, the president shaking hands and touching his face during his declaration of a national emergency.

Once testing becomes widely available it’s going to be 1-2 weeks until people start seeing the numbers, realizing they know infected people, and start taking social distancing seriously. Even once we begin to take these protective measures seriously all we do is flatten the curve, not stop the outbreak. From what I’ve seen this thing keeps going until either so many of us have gotten it that there’s herd immunity (I saw 40-70% of population infected for this to be the case but these numbers are still up in the air a bit) or a vaccine can be developed.

Disney World will be back. I don’t think I will be going until a vaccine is developed, my family gets and recovers from coronavirus so we expect to be immune, or it is well accepted that there is good herd immunity. Aside from getting coronavirus (who knows, we could have it now), all of those things are 12-18 months away.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Dren posted:

Disney World will be back. I don’t think I will be going until a vaccine is developed, my family gets and recovers from coronavirus so we expect to be immune, or it is well accepted that there is good herd immunity. Aside from getting coronavirus (who knows, we could have it now), all of those things are 12-18 months away.

The only "non miracle" possibility that I've heard is that theoretically a treatment or even an antiviral cure might be developed faster than a vaccine -- from the test compounds that were developed for SARS and/or MERS that were then dropped when the diseases died out. I'm pretty sure even that timeline is would be "essentially a miracle", but I don't know enough about the SARS drug development experiments to know how close anyone got.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I think it's fine to just chatter about it. Besides, people get excited about upcoming trips. And with all the misery this is going to cause, maybe planning a Disney vacation on here will give folks catharsis.

Yeah, I was just joking about a forum quarantine.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

couldcareless posted:

see you there maybe... We feel stupid because we booked flights before they dropped through the floor

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I kinda selfishly hope they use to closure to refurb all the stuff that needed it ASAP, like finishing the Castle quickly

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Disney finally updated with new info via the app. If you don’t check-in to hotel during park closure they will automatically issue a full refund. So that’s cool.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

College program is shutting down with everyone being told to go home. That uh does not bode well for opening in a couple weeks.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Some international reps are being left in the loving dark since they’re not directly employed by Disney.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I wonder if I can reschedule everything for next year....

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

So, I knew about the closings before they happened. They are not going to open in a couple of weeks unless this all magically dries up. Internal word is currently a hopeful Late May/Early June estimate with big dreams and hopes for sooner.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
BBS and any other CM goons, godspeed to all of you. Hope everything ends up ok for yall and they keep their promise of paying sick leave during this.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

So, I knew about the closings before they happened. They are not going to open in a couple of weeks unless this all magically dries up. Internal word is currently a hopeful Late May/Early June estimate with big dreams and hopes for sooner.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

My wife read somewhere they gave college program folks 4 days to get outta the dorms and leave.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Colleges here did just about the same, so not much better.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I’d say early June could be reasonable

I hope I’m wrong but things are gonna get much worse before they get better.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005
39 new cases in FL today compared to the 25 new cases yesterday. Cases seem to be concentrated around South FL. Only one new case (who I presume is the MCO TSA agent) reported today is Orange Co. Fellow CMs stay safe today!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
My (36F) husband (40M) called me a "psycho bitch" for demanding the Cinderella castle suite from a Disney customer service rep

quote:

I am writing this in the bathroom because I just got into a huge argument with my husband and I don't know what to do.

We and our three children had an upcoming trip planned for Disney World on Tuesday, a ten day stay at the Grand Floridian and a wonderful itinerary that included all four parks and Blizzard Beach. Of course the parks have now closed and my children are beyond devastated.

I called Disney's customer service line to speak with a representative about how they can make this right. He promised a refund and the ability to rebook for another time but that obviously isn't good enough. I told him that he needed to do better than that and he said he was just following the guidelines put forth by the company.

I suggested as a means to rectify this that he provide us future accommodations in the secretive suite located in Cinderella's castle. I said the only way to make up for the hardship my children are facing is to provide us with a truly unforgettable experience, one that goes beyond the standard Disney trip and will completely wash away the painful memories that will undoubtedly stay with them for years. What better way to do so than to stay in the castle of Cinderella herself?

He audibly scoffed at this and said that was way, way beyond his authorization. He said tens of thousands had had their vacations ruined and that it wasn't his or the company's fault and they were all doing the best they could.

This dismissal pissed me off. I told him that yes it wasn't his fault but it was his responsibility to make it right. Surely, instead of closing down, a multibillion dollar media conglomerate that's a hegemon in the global theme park industry would have the capacity to simply screen for sick visitors at the park entrances. Instead, they ruined my children's entire year.

And what about the FastPass reservations that we meticulously booked during our first day of eligibility? What about the dinner plans with the princesses? How do they think it feels for me as a parent to tell my children they can't visit THE HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH because they might get sick and DIE?

After all this the smug rep just repeated he could only offer refunds for the time being and an opportunity to rebook. I again stated that that was insufficient and that I at least expected a lifetime subscription to Disney+ and he straight up laughed and said "that's not my department."

I hung up the phone in rage and my husband immediately was like "what the gently caress was that." He told me I was a "psycho bitch" for the way I spoke to the customer service rep, that I was extremely unreasonable and rude and that he was genuinely disturbed by my behavior. He said he doesn't know what happened to the woman he married and he's not sure he can ever look at me the same way again.

I am deeply, deeply hurt that he would say such things about me when I was just trying to do what's best for our children. Our relationship has been rocky for the past couple of years and Disney was supposed to be an opportunity to rekindle that fire. Now it feels like that might not be possible. He is usually quite soft spoken so I am shocked and devastated by the abusive language he directed at me and I don't know if I can forgive him. Now my children are crying and my husband is pissed off and my whole world is breaking down and I don't know what to do. How can I make things right? Is that even possible?

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Wow. Disney truly brings the best and worst out of people.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
That has to be fake. Please, god.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

sounds like a daily disboards thread from baby newbies. Try asking for a few anytime fastpasses added to your account so you can have some freebies. jfc.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yeah that’s gotta be fake. Funny, but fake

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

skipdogg posted:

Yeah that’s gotta be fake. Funny, but fake

I dunno. I've been asked for all sorts of mega-impossible, not in my paygrade guest recovery for the smallest inconvenience (including asking for the castle suite)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

No notice given to the drummers.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The way they've been slowly whittling down on operational costs during these last years - when things have been pretty much unambiguously great, attendance wise, save for the brief hiccup around Galaxy's Edge initial opening - makes me spooked (relatively speaking) to think what we're going to see in the next 12 months. Loss of a couple months of revenue, plus continued decreased attendance from a cratered economy.

Betcha we see 10 hour days at the parks before too long.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 16, 2020

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Friday is now the last day for the resorts, Monday (Today) is the last day for Disney owned stores and locations at Disney Springs.

This is pants-shittingly scary, folks.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

All resorts to be closed by Friday, too.

Imagine a totally void of human life disney.

Imagine how loving nuts Sonswa is gonna go.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Okay with the parks being closed I need some help here. You know that animatronic heist? That was loving amateur hour and sloppy. My friends, I'm putting a crew together to steal Space Mountain. Truckula and Elon Tusk are already in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Friday is now the last day for the resorts, Monday (Today) is the last day for Disney owned stores and locations at Disney Springs.

This is pants-shittingly scary, folks.

Hoping things are OK for you sir.