Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Smuggler is my second favorite story and class. Nut kick + scattergun solved a lot of problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The Esseles, part 1

quote:

It is a time of fear and suspicion. The SITH EMPIRE and GALACTIC REPUBLIC have maintained a fragile peace for the past ten years. Leaders on both sides know that resumed conflict between the two galactic superpowers is inevitable.

Countless border skirmishes, diplomatic plots, and intelligence coups flame the building hostility as both sides jockey for advantage in the coming conflict.

Now, four disperate heroes, each with their own important mission on the Republic's capital world, board the passenger vessel ESSELES for the long trip to Coruscant …

: So I “saved the Jedi’s martial might” and also healed the rift between us and the villagers. It’ll take a while but I think we’ve made a good start!
: Well I guess I'm not the only one who had a memorable time on Tython.

: After my short time on Ord Mantell I got promoted, but in the worst way possible.
: I'm sorry, who are you again?
: Ser … er, Lieutenant Daydasher. Republic military. Havoc Squad.
: …
: Perhaps you've heard of us.
: No.
: Sorry, no.
: Gonna have to say no, chief.
: :(

: Uh …
: Yeah, sorry ladies and soldier man. Does your table have any condiment bottles? My table is completely out.

[Ignore Jek's headset in these early screenshots; for some reason the “hide helmet” option wasn't working at first.]

: Do you see any?
: Well no but I thought you might have stashed some in that armor of yours. Hey, you two are Jedi!?
: Yes, we are.
: Neat. Hey, I heard you guys can read minds and stuff. What number am I thinking of right now?
: That's not really how …
: Two.
: :aaa:
: And no, neither of us are “totally into you.”
: Ha!
: Excuse me? Yes, could I speak with you for a moment?

: Can I help you?
: I don't mean to trouble you, Jedi, but I'm curious if anyone from the ship's crew has come to speak with you yet.

: If you're not from the crew, no. Why, is something wrong?
: I heard a rumor that there's an Imperial warship following us.
: They wouldn't dare …
: I know, I know -- the Treaty of Coruscant. But I don't trust the Empire to keep the peace.
: Eh, since we don't know for sure the Imperials are following us, let's not worry about it.

: I just wish I could get someone from the crew to answer my questions. The crew won't tell the passengers anything at all. It's not very reassuring.
: Telling the passengers that Imperials are nearby would only cause a panic.
: I suppose. Still. I think it's unsettling to think that there might be Imperials behind us.
: Warning! Warning! Incoming fire! All hands, brace for incoming! Repeat, all hands --

[No, a sick dance party didn't spontaneously break out -- someone is dropping bangers on the ship.]

: The Imperials seem to have forgotten about the treaty …
: I knew the treaty would break eventually but I didn't think I'd actually be here to see it. Listen -- you have to get to the bridge. The captain will need all of the help he can get right now -- go, hurry!
: Let's just hope it's not too late to help.
: It's never too late to try. Good luck.

[Welcome to The Esseles, TOR's first flashpoint. Flashpoints are four-person “dungeons” that originally were scaled for every ten levels. Esseles is the first one you can do. It's optional but at launch skipping it would mean there was a good chance you would be underleveled for Coruscant. And since the game launched with no group finder, people would fill chat with LFG spams. Later, when Bioware cottoned to the idea that most people played this as a single-player game, they changed it from requiring a four people to two, and then later added a solo mode.

Which character speaks after each dialogue choice is decided by an RNG. The longer you go without “winning” the more weight is added to your roll. It's actually handled quite well, except when light vs dark choices come up. You can really annoy your group by making them party to some very out-of-character decisions.]

: Come on, Tyrus! You can make it, sir, you can make it!
: He's gone, sir. You're in charge now -- what are our orders?
: Your orders!? Our weapons are out, shields are out, comms are out! There's nothing we can do!

: The path may not always be clear. but that doesn't mean there is no path.
: Why is this Jedi standing on our bridge spouting nonsense? We're in a situation here!
: *snrk*
: Sir, we need all the help we can get. If we don't keep it together here we're finished.
: Keep what together? The Imperials have us by the throat! We're as good as dead already.

: What's wrong with you? Are you really going to let your ship fall to the Imperials so easily? Show a little captaincy, captain. Now, how fast can we run away?
: That ship behind us is one of the biggest in the Imperial fleet. We didn't stand a chance.
: Sir! Incoming message -- the Imperial ship is hailing us!
: What? Oh. Well, put them on.

: Republic transport Esseles, this is Grand Moff Rycus Kilran. Your defenses are entirely disabled. Attempt no resistance.
: Kilran? Ah poo poo.
: We're aware of our situation, Kilran. Just tell us why you're here.

: Are you trying to get them to blow us up, Jedi?
: Your ship is transporting a known anti-Imperial terrorist and seditionist: the so-called “Ambassador” Vyn Asara. I've come to collect her.
: Who? We didn't take on any passengers by that name. I've never even heard of this person!
: Interesting. Lying or incompetent? No matter. My agents aboard your ship have confirmed the ambassador is there.
: You bought tickets for a cruise ship? Imperial Intelligence may be more formidable than I thought.
: l have eyes everywhere. Imperial soldiers are preparing to board your ship through its primary airlock. My agents will ensure that you do not interfere with them. If you attempt to stop my men from arresting Ambassador Asara I will have every
living thing aboard the Esseles killed.

: What have I gotten into now?
: Let's not panic. We just figure out who this ambassador is and hand her over. No problem.
: It won't matter. Kilran has us now. He'll kill us all -- he's famous for it. The only one he wants alive is the ambassador. lf Kilran gets the ambassador while we're sitting in his sights, we're goners. Those soldiers have to be stopped before they can succeed.
: I'll go have a word with them. And, also, probably some telekinetic wedgies.
: It's very brave of you all to volunteer. Listen -- l'm sorry I lost it earlier. It means a lot to have your help right now. Thank you.

: Wait, who's “you all?” I came up here to see if you needed any fancy flying, not to go shoot at Imperials like some kind of soldier. Er, no offense, trooper, sir.
: Too bad. Hope that blaster you've got hidden under your jacket is fully charged.
: Er …
: It's been a while since I broke a sweat -- might be fun.
: I'm sure you're up to anything the Imps can throw at us. I'll have our security team meet you by the primary air lock. They haven't seen much action but Commander Narlock knows his stuff. Good luck. We're all counting on you.

: Wait, I had to smuggle my blaster on board -- purely out of an abundance of caution, mind you -- but they just let you bring THAT thing in your luggage?
: There was a bunch of paperwork, but I had a member of my squad fill it all out for me.

: This is it men. This is what you've been training for. The Imperials are coming and we're not going to let them past, are we?
: Sir, no sir!
: We won't be fighting alone! We have some very experienced volunteers -- the Imps will never know what hit them! They'll cut through any second now -- we need to take up defensive positions.

: Here they come!

: Hah! Victory! We've done it, men, we've done it!
: Anyone else think that was too easy?
: Seemed like a pretty fierce fight to me.
: She's right. Only three troopers?
: The ship is saved!

: I'm sorry, commander, but that … that isn't the case.
: I had enough of Republic agents screwing over civies back on Ord Mantell, so you'd better start telling us what's going on here. Now.
: First Officer Haken walked us right into a trap. The attack on this airlock was a ruse. After Haken sent you here Imperial commandos snuck aboard. They were led by a Mandalorian mercenary called “lronfist.”
: *snrk*
: The Mandalorians work for the Empire -- they're some of the best warriors in the galaxy. And lronfist is one of the most famous. Ironfist and his Imperial commandos stormed the bridge, and now the entire area is locked down tight.
: How do you know all of this?
: I watched the whole thing happen on the security cams.
: Look, what is this all about? Why are the Imperials so desperate to capture someone?

: Because of my work. I'm a Republic ambassador. I travel to Imperial-controlled planets and convince their governments to come over to our side.
: You're this Asara?
: Yes. Kilran is here for me.
: We need to retake the bridge. The longer we leave the Imperials in control, the harder it will be to remove them.
: I already told you, lronfist has the bridge locked down. There's no way in or out.
: A security lockdown … that is bad. Chief Engineer Salen might know of a workaround.
: You're the security commander -- don't you have the authority to cancel the lockdown?
: The bridge lockdown can't be canceled from the outside. No, it's Salen or it's nothing.
: That seems like a rather big flaw in your protocol.

: Salen and his team will be down in the engineering section. I'm sure they'll be able to help us.
: We'll need a diversion. If the Imperials notice the hatches to engineering opening they'll flood the area with soldiers.
: My men and I can handle that. Form up, men! We're going to go start some trouble!
: Let's get that bridge open!
: We'll give those Imps something to think about, won't we boys?
: I'll go along with Commander Narlock. Once you've cleared a path to engineering, I'll double back and join up with you there. Good luck.

: Try to keep up, boys!

: Imperial sabotage droids!

[MEANWHILE, ON A MUCH SLOWER, CHEAPER SHIP TO CORUSCANT …]

: T7 = requests organic refrain from pushing on T7
: Does anyone know why this drink maker isn't working right? I'm trying to make a caff and it keeps beeping at me.
: That is a droid, foolish small thing. It's going to zap you soon if you don't leave it alone.
: Now can anyone tell me what this big lizard is saying!? Cat man, help me out here.
: But …

[BACK TO THE ESSELES!]

: I got this, hang on …

: Hey! Hey, chief, come here! Look, there's someone out there on the other side of the door!

: You must be crazy coming all the way down here with the Imps everywhere.
: The Imperials have the bridge locked down. You're getting us in there.
: The Imps pulled the lockdown? You've got to be kidding me.

: You really cleared this place out. I didn't run into a single Imperial on my way down here. Listen -- there's no time to waste. Commander Narlock and his men are being overrun -- we have to get the bridge unlocked now.
: So I've heard. I'd invite you in, but the lockdown has our doors sealed too.
: Are you going to be safe in there? Do you need help getting out?
: Getting the bridge back in our control is much more important. Now let's see....

: What about a reactor reset? That would disengage the security locks wouldn't it, sir?
: Yeah, but a reactor reset vents the engineering compartment -- we'd be blown into space. Besides, controls are on the other side of the door.
: Tell your lackeys to shut up unless they have ideas we can actually use.
: He was just trying to help. Besides, he gave me an idea. The secondary conduits. They're spread around a bit but if you shut them all down the security will go down, too. Then we'll be in business.
: We'll get the conduits shut down right away.
: There's no time to go running all over the ship. If we don't act now the Imperials will overwhelm us. I'm sorry, Salen. We need to unlock the bridge while we have the chance. We have to reset the reactor. You and your men will be remembered.

: Sweet Force, Ambassador! Whose side are you on? Jedi veto, we're not doing that.
: Fine. But you're dooming everyone on this ship. Sometimes sacrifices have to be made for the greater good.
: You've got a real heart of stone, lady.
: I'm practical. Nothing more.
: Crazy witch! Shutting down the secondary conduits will work, I promise.
: If you're going to do it, go now. The longer you wait, the more Imperials you'll have after you.

To be continued …

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 14, 2020

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

What a badly made ship.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

It wouldn't be Star Wars without a few poorly-conceived death traps on every ship.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Doctor Reynolds posted:

What a badly made ship.

Moon Slayer posted:

It wouldn't be Star Wars without a few poorly-conceived death traps on every ship.

Genuine Nanotrasen quality!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I mean, theoretically not having an outside method of breaking the bridge lockdown would be a good thing if it wasn’t currently being used to stop people helping. If they’d activated it and maintained contact via radios or something the Imperials would have to spend a lot of time breaking the Lockdown themselves instead of finding the easy release solution.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Two of us have laser swords; no explanation is given why we can't just cut through the doors or, if they're too thick, the floor.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
The design is clever if the goal is to stave off pirates from taking control of the ship, it's just bad at everything else disaster related. Alas, Star Wars is very realistic in that regard:

"Sir, the ship was attacked and the passengers and crew were all killed!"

"No! I lost my ship!"

"Actually, the ship is still salvageable."

"Say that first, idiot! I thought we had a REAL problem for a minute!"

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Moon Slayer posted:

Two of us have laser swords; no explanation is given why we can't just cut through the doors or, if they're too thick, the floor.

Randomly cutting into a ship, or well not randomly but still, sounds like a very good way to get vented into Space, thus only Sith may do it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I think it's just proof nobody who wrote The Old Republic actually watched Phantom Menace, they just complained about it on theforce.net

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
(sorry for the delay getting this, the LP curse has given my free time a large smack, here's a jumbo update to make up for it)

Chapter 4: Knights of Tythonia

: :swoon: It's just as amazing as I imagined! The stonework!

: The statuary!

: Ack! More cool ancient droids!

: Sorry!

: Hmm. Something something first blade, something something relic keeper? Maybe they left a journal.

: Another acolyte seeks the first blade.

: Druk a duck! Where'd you come from?

: I guard the First Blade. The first Jedi weapon. From this beginning, lightsabers came.

: That doesn't really answer my-

: Milennia pass. Only hilt of first blade remains. Only disturbed once.

: Okay fine then ancient lore is cool too I GUESS

: "Rajivari" came. He proved worthy. Permitted to take the hilt. Later, returned it. Reason unknown.

: To take the hilt, prove worthy. The philosophy of Jedi combat. Show understanding.

: Weapon Master's droids remain. Created to test students. Find them. Prevail. The hilt awaits.

: And now I have to destroy even MORE ancient priceless relic droids.

: At least this way we get to study the pieces....

: Feel my Force!

: Phew.

: Telemetry received.

: Gah! Stop that!

: All droids report your performance. Satisfactory.

: Take the hilt. Treat with respect. Fight with honor.

---

: And now I have the First Blade! It's covered in engravings that look a lot newer than the rest of it too - I'll bet Rajivari added them.

: I can't make any of them out over the holo - is that part a set of coordinates?

: They are! It looks like they point to a cave near a waterfall not too far from here. With your permission, Master, I'll head over right away.

: Of course. The sooner we solve this mystery, the better. I'll ask Qyzen to meet you there, he knows the area better than most of the Masters do.

: I'll be glad to have his help. Transmitting the exact coordinates now.

: May the force be with you, Padawan.

: Small hunter. Is good to see.

: Likewise, Qyzen. Did you have any trouble getting here?

: Flesh raiders not hunt this far. Few large horranth tried to attack. Was nothing hunt.

: That's more than I ran into.

: Ugh. I wish we knew what the flesh raiders wanted, maybe we could make peace.

: Seek raiding of flesh. In the name.

: :sigh: Thanks, Qyzen. Now, let's see what we've got.

: Here, in this cave, we founders discussed our vision for the Jedi Order. And I, Rajivari, listened.

: I listened, as they carefully crippled our newborn order. As they argued for mediocrity. It shall not stand.

: I have laid my plans. With my army made from Tython's true dark sons, I will purge this council of fools while they chatter.

: Only my apprentices and I will survive. From Kaleth, we will mold the Jedi into what we deserve to be.

: If the hilt of the first blade has been returned, we succeeded, and the future follows the path we left.

: Follow, seeker. Follow the path to the Fount of Rajivari. It is time.

: Wow. Qyzen, we just witnessed the first schism. The ACTUAL first schism in the order. This is where the modern Dark Side movements began.

: The ones we know of, at least. The ancient stories were right! Tython's dark sons were driven off and came back twice as vengeful.

: Is truly fascinating. But look.

: Strange map. Have never seen like. If path is there, I cannot see.

: These are ancient Tythonian glyphs. See, this one stands for "river", or sometimes "knowledge"-

: Must go ahead. Shall meet you in Yuon's rooms, small hunter.

: Should take map, deny prize to dark thing.

: ...

: :sigh:

--- LPer's note - this section in game involves a lot more back and forth. I have cut this, because I'm not collecting monthly fees. ---

: Master Yuon, I believe we found the coordinates for the Fount of Rajivari!

: Yes, Qyzen told me as much. Let me see the map!

: Look, it's the area around Kaleth depicted in Tythonian glyph-writing.

: Ah, yes! This glyph must represent Tythos Ridge - it matches our modern maps, and the semantic content-

: Of course! "Rocklike solidity" transposed with "high levity"! It matches perfectly with the Kaleth-coordinate!

: But what about this part showing the last coordinate? Some kind of rock formation?

: That or an ancient statue.. look, there's a diagram.

: Have seen like formations on hunts. Could scout caves, try to find.

: It might be slow going trying to match that visually.

: Better than to sit and talk and talk of old things forever. Scorekeeper watch you.

: I'm starting to think he doesn't like space archaeology.

: He's passionate about it in his own way. He's much more cut out for field work than the academic.

: I suppose it does take all kinds. Look, down at the bottom of the map here. Is that High Galactic? The morphemes and syntax match but I don't recognize the symbols.

: I think it's a variant of Old Tionese, of all things. Rajivari must have wanted to keep this information hidden from all but the most learned.

: :agesilaus:

: Or the nerdiest Jedi in the galaxy.

: :(

: Oh, don't fret, Padawan. If you count, I count too. Now let's see..

: "The Fount of Rajivari has mechanisms for intruders. Only those who know Rajivari's path will walk through unscathed, to gain his wisdom."

: So, there's traps that you have to know his philosophies in order to get through safely.

: I have a general idea what he was about, but nothing like the kind of specific knowledge I'd need for that.

: Well, Kaleth wasRajivari's stronghold. Just this last month our excavation teams have uncovered ancient computer terminals, too.

: And they probably have recordings of his teachings! Dark siders love keeping copies of their tenets around.

: Just think, you'll be the first soul to witness his teachings in millennia. Be sure to take careful recordings!

: I'll head out right away!

: Ah, wait a moment, padawan. There's a message coming in for you... from Nalen Raloch?

: Survival, Jedi. Mine, my village's, and yours. It's interesting to think about.

: You fooled my people. You even fooled the Matriarch somehow.

: I'm the one who keeps Kalikori safe. I'm the one who deserves Tython's power. You - your order. You're nothing.

: You sit in your temple and debate the details of why you'll do nothing as people die around you. Why it's the moral thing to stand by while families are torn apart by bloodthirsty monsters.

: Master Rajivari saw the sickness at the heart of the Jedi twenty thousand years ago. I wonder how long it will take you?

: It doesn't really matter. There are other routes to the Fount. You have the First Blade, but I have a destiny.

: Oh, and Jedi? Stay out of my way or I'll kill you.

: :stare:

: Well, he doesn't mince words, does he?

: Nalen has fallen under the sway of Rajivari, Padawan. He truly wants you dead.

: It's not like he doesn't halfway have a point, though. Aren't the Jedi supposed to be protectors?

: Traditionally, the Jedi have been protectors of the Republic. Republic laws have always had an influence on how the Order does its business.

: But to say that on Tython, of all places. It's a reminder, I think, that our Order is older than that. That we serve ideals higher than our ties to the Republic.

: The Force?

: Indeed, padawan. The Light is life, knowledge, defense, mercy. It's not something to be hoarded away out of political expediency, or withheld out of fear. The Jedi whose heart is open and whose mind is clear need never fear falling to the dark.

: You don't like this situation with the Twi'leks any more than I do, do you Master?

: No, I do not, my Padawan. But I was overruled by the rest of the Council. "Political realities", my knee... Some days I wonder if our Order has lost its way.

: But enough of that. Leave the Council politics to your wizened old master and go find some answers in Kaleth!

: Yes, Master!

: And may the Force be with you.

BRIEF DETOUR

Moon Slayer posted:

: What's a Jedi doing all the way out here?
: My name is Do Zonn. I stand watch over Kaleth, and I walk the paths surrounding its grounds. I meditate upon my failure and I learn of our past.

many many droids later

: Knights. :rolleyes:

: Anywho.

: Hrmm. The data's kind of fragmented. Let's see...

: Master Rajivari's gone. The Council survived - we failed. They're coming for us.

: Kaleth is strong. They'll have to lay siege if they want us. The Master's fifth principle says showing mercy to an enemy creates a spiral of destruction. When the Jedi come for us, we'll show them none.

: Another Jedi today - my seventh! Master Rajivari formed an army from the allies he found past the mountains - we could sure use them now.

: But they've vanished! Only their servants are left, those blasted cannibals in their stupid fake tribal camps.

: Rajivari's second principle says that all life is a battle, even to your last breath. Wish my last breath didn't stink of cannibal monster.

: The bleeding won't stop. Blast it! Why did I have to try and play the hero for Vadria?

: Master Rajivari's seventh principle says that sacrificing your strength is the path of a fool. I should have just let her die.

: It doesn't matter.. the siege is nearly over. This can only end one way.

: So that's about the size of it. Somehow this'll lead me through the traps.

: Do you think this'll work, Mr. Cow?

: moo

: I appreciate your vote of confidence. And the missus?

: moooooooooooo

: I hope you two have a lovely day :3:

: Better call in. Master Yuon?

: Master Yuon? Come in!

: Padawan! You found something already? What did you find?

: The Principles of Rajivari, a great deal of history, and some messed up student dynamics.

Editor's note: recap trimmed for brevity

: So the ancient Jedi besieged Kaleth after Rajivari tried to kill the Council.

: And his apprentices held the line by themselves. Whatever their beliefs, they were no slouches.

: You're shaping up to be fairly potent yourself, Padawan.

: :blush:

: To continue to defend their beliefs in the face of hopeless odds.. remarkable. With a different master, they would have been magnificent Jedi.

: Hopefully their last recordings gave you what you'll need to find your way into the Fount. Once Qyzen figures out where the last coordinate is...

: Actually, where is Qyzen? How long have I been working?

: I've been gone for almost four hours, Master.

: Qyzen is never late, Padawan, something must have happened to him.

: I'll go look for him. Did he say anything about where he was going?

: He called in shortly after you left - he said he was going to check the waterfall caves. Please hurry, Padawan. I have a bad feeling about this.

: Qyzen! Are you okay?

: Small hunter. Should not have come. Is only shame here, and death.

: Nalen Raloch. He tracked and.. captured. Used pain. Demanded answers of your old thing.. your Fount of Rajivari.

: Gave nothing. Recieved much pain.

: I can try and treat your injuries if you want.

: Pain. WHat matter now?

: Was captured alive, small hunter. Is no greater dishonor. Means all my points forfeit. Lifetime's score, gone.

: Without score, I am nothing. Scorekeeper turns face away.

: You're still Yuon's friend, Qyzen. And mine too, I hope?

: Is kind, small hunter. Yuon kind as well, she brought aid. Risked much to come visit in cage, asked for coordinates to Fount.

: Was good to see, but.. strangeness. Yuon's scent, all changed. Perhaps because - was strangeness.

: Qyzen, Master Yuon has been at the Temple for hours. Nalen must have used some sort of Force trick to cast an illusion of Yuon.

: Trickery, on dishonor? Masking as Yuon? I will track and punish for this!

: Small hunter, Nalen has all coordinates. Fount of Rajivari is his to find.

: Find, yes. And then it'll chew on his bones, since he doesn't have the clues I dug up to get past the traps.

: I will accompany, small hunter. To guide. And see Nalen Raloch dead.

: I'll be trying to take him in alive, you know.

: Yuon has saying. "All things are possible".

---

: Flesh raiders?! How did they get in here?

: Flesh raiders live here much longer than Jedi, I think.

: No further, seeker. You come here unpurified. It is an insult to Rajivari's memory.

: Rajivari's apprentices were flawed. But they walked the fire and were reborn.

: Only a personal sacrifice will show your strength and resolve, seeker. Will you be purified by flame?

: Purification, in face of loss. Chance to atone. Would do, small hunter.

: Easy there, big fella. There's more to it.

: Absolutely not. How can sacrificing my strength make me more powerful? You must think I'm a fool!

: Then the Master's teachings have guided you. Go forward, seeker.

: That was one of the traps. Each one has to be countered with one of Rajivari's tenets.

: If you want, when we get back to the temple, we can arrange a purification ritual?

: Will consider, small hunter.

: You! Arghl. You made it after all. I hoped your head would be Nalen's trophy by now.

: Phan?! How did you get in here?

: I came here to prove myself to Nalen. But these traps...

: It doesn't matter. You're the enemy; if I can still.. hold a blade, I can stick you in the heart!

: Ah.

: That makes you my enemy. To show mercy to an enemy creates a spiral of destruction!

: Ah, a disciple of Rajivari after all.

: disappears

: Huh.

: Oh, what now?

: Is cyanogen gas, small hunter. I enjoy, your lungs will melt.

: cough Enough with this drukking cough holoflimsy coughtomb-raider coughcough

: NERF poo poo!

: Ugh. If I never see another darksider ruin, it'll be too soon.

: ...!

: !!!

: Of course, here is the other. Seekers of forbidden knowledge always have their pursuers.

: If you came for Nalen Raloch, he has been and gone. So much is fleeting. But I remain. And I remain the man I was -- Rajivari.

: You're no hologram.. what have you done here?

: Small hunter, who is you speak to? Smell nothing. Or.. must be Jedi seeing. Not for my eyes.

: Your pet is brighter than he looks.

: Here in my laboratory, I had refined certain.. devices. I could give one chosen apprentice decades of experience in a day. An apprentice, to become worthy to carry my vision.

: I understand... this building isn't the Fount of Rajivari. You are the Fount of Rajivari. Your wisdom and knowledge preserved across the millenia.

: I have waited for new acolytes. I.. belived Nalen was a suitible candidate. But he turned out to be a disappointment.

: Nalen walked through the traps without even trying to solve them. He suffered greatly.

: That plus the knowledge he'd already tried to cram into his mind must have made him suffer immensely.

: Yes, I.. miscalculated. Nalen's mind wasn't equal to the wisdom he demanded. I have made not a successor, but a monster.

: Nalen will not remake the Jedi. He wishes to destroy them and everything else on this world. Beginning with the great Forge, where lightsabers are made.

: Without the Forge, the Jedi lose their martial power. You must stop Nalen before he destroys it.

: But- ooooohhhhhhhh

: Yes. It would be awful to lose the Forge. Where would be get our lightsabers, if not the Forge? Gotta stop that from happening.

: Wasn't destroying the Jedi your plan too, though?

: I sought to cleanse them, to begin anew. Nalen wants only ashes.

: That training blade won't suffice against Nalen, not as he is now. But I see you carry the hild of the First Blade -- an old friend.

: A simple procedure would convert it into a working lightsaber hilt. You will be able to create a truly potent weapon.

: Pass through the caves and seek the Forge at the mountain's summit. Stop Nalen, this... abomination my knowledge has created.

: Thank you for your help, Master Rajivari.

: :sigh:

: But.. you've held onto this existence for thousands of years. Perhaps it's time to move on from this half-life of photons and databanks?

: Ah, child. You see only what the Jedi are. But I saw what they could have been.

: My colleagues wouldn't listen. I spoke of strength, they cowered. I spoke of a golden age, they chattered of overstepping themselves.

: It will happen someday. I just need the right acolyte to carry out my vision.

: It was those same Jedi you dismiss who survived your ambush, Master. The Jedi sundered Kaleth despite your best efforts. Clearly, they were not weak.

: I remember that battle. My friends.. my - my death.

: You speak of things I had long put aside.

: The Order is not perfect. It may never be perfect. But it's the struggle that keeps us honest. Every day we fight against the dark side and the simple tides of entropy, pushing back the ugliness of the galaxy inch by inch.

: If the Jedi are to have a bright future, we have to find it ourselves. You know that, Master. You can't impose greatness from on high, you have to find it within yourself.

: I.. gave my dream to Nalen Raloch. And in him, I saw a horror. Perhaps.. perhaps it was always so.

: Please, you must stop him. Correct my last mistake. You mustsucceed.

: Perhaps you are proof the Jedi did not lose their way after all.

: Air seems different. Lighter?

: A great man has passed on, Qyzen. Very wrong about a number of things, but great.

: What was talk of Forge, small hunter? Lightsabers not made on Tython.

: Ah. That's the tricky part about learning about the Jedi from a Master who lived twenty thousand years ago. Your info's a little bit out of date.

: If Nalen destroys the Forge, we'll lose a priceless historical site and a potent artifact of the Force. But it won't cripple the Order.

: I didn't feel any need to correct that mistake, of course.

: Logical. Makes sense. Where is Forge?

: This way - through the caves.

---

: Wish me luck, Mr. Cow!

: mooo

: Wow.

: Is ancient place, small hunter. Worthy of respect.

: Hmm. Scent here, but.. days old. Blue? Nalen is not here, but will be soon. Should prepare.

: Perhaps is time enough to build your weapon.

: This will require a lot of concentration. Will you watch out for me?

: Shall do so. Have earned honor of first weapon, small hunter.

: Caution, Nalen is here. Not alone.

: Allia?

: Fitting that it's you, armed with the last lightsaber this Forge will ever make!

: Look at her! Another Jedi here to take more power, then nod and smile while they refuse to use it for anything! Another Jedi to sit and meditate while Flesh Raiders ravage our home!

: I know Rajivari's secrets. I wield the true powers of Tython - horrors that the Jedi have been chasing. Horrors that this Jedi tried to steal. Only I am worthy of that power. Only I can protect us, protect our families, protect our future!

: Allia... please. Help me. Help him.

: Don't worry, Jedi. I didn't come here to fight.

: Nalen, you've gone too far. How is this protecting us? Destroying the Jedi? Even if we could, how does that help anything?

: I did this for ALL OF YOU!

: If you can't see the danger, I'll show you myself!

: Nalen, please. I don't want to hurt you.

: Then don't fight back.

: Heh. I'd forgotten the smell of my own blood.

: I- I yield, Jedi.

: You.. beatNalen Raloch? Wow.

: What are you going to do to him? Even after all this, he's still a hero to our people.

: It's up to the Council, but I'll bet we can figure something out. What do you think we should do with him?

: Despite what he was trying to do, he didn't actually do anything terrible. The worst thing he did was steal that Jedi whatzit.

: and he also dropped a cave on me that one time

: Please, let him come home. He still belongs to us, and I - we can help him come back from the abyss.

: I'll try and get that pushed through then. Do you need help bringing him back?

: No, we can carry him to the temple. Thank you again, Jedi - no matter what happens, at least you tried.

: ...I have been fool. Spoke false. You are no small hunter.

: Does that mean I qualify as "medium hunter" now?

: Scorekeeper has seen. Chosen for greatest honor. You are Herald of Scorekeeper.

: I'm a what?

: Chosen one, Herald. Of great skill, power, honor. Scorekeeper sees, and favors.

: To lose points was horror. But Scorekeeper has led through darkness to greater thing. You.

: I don't know if anything I did was all that impressive, though?

: You began hunt for lost book. Encountered dark power and many terrible foes. Yet delivered death only where needed, mercy where possible. Nalen hunted across planet to slay, you choose to spare. Dark spirit in ruins gave Nalen power, you helped return him to light.

: Perhaps for Jedi, this not strange. But Scorekeeper values such things.

: I will follow, Herald. Wherever needed. Scorekeeper has shown path; to aid her Herald.

: :blush:

: I. Uh. Wow.

: I suppose all I can say is "thank you," Qyzen. I'll do my best to live up to the trust you put in me.

: Come, Herald. Must return to Temple. Is much news we have for Yuon. You as Herald, and victorious in your quest - shall please her.

---

: We've been waiting for you, Padawan. You know Master Yuon, of course. This is Master Satele...

: ..and Master Jaric.

: An honor, Masters.

: I've been treating Nalen Raloch. The Pilgrims who carried him here told us of your battle. Remarkable.

: I would have brought a peaceful solution if I could, Master.

: Peace is the ideal, Padawan, but there's no shame in defending yourself.

: It seems we have much to learn about the villagers. Perhaps we should rethink our position...

: Enough, enough! Padawan, tell me about the Fount of Rajivari! Where was it? Was it in the same style as Kaleth?

: Actually, no. The ruins it was in were similar, but the Fount was actually Rajivari himself, preserved through machinery and the Force.

: You saw a Force apparition of Rajivari? This is extraordinary!

: I'm afraid we won't be able to talk to him though. I convinced him to pass on to the netherworld of the Force.

: :stonk:

: It seems you may have been right about the Force guiding your Padawan's training, Yuon. I.. apologize.

: No longer a Padawan, I believe. She carries a lightsaber; she has proven herself. I have only one last question before her training is complete.

: Nalen Raloch is resting in a kolto tank. When he's well, what should become of him?

: Nalen began with very minimal Force sensitivity and made rapid progress with just a holocron and sheer willpower. His core motivation was to protect people. Even his evil master plan focused on destroying our ability to fight versus actually killing the Jedi. If we help him, I feel he has the potential to be a great member of our order.

: And bring reconciliation between us and the villagers in one swift stroke.

: The great Kalikori hero, Jedi Knight Nalen Raloch. I can just imagine the songs they'll sing...

: You have the heart of a Jedi and the instincts of a born diplomat, Seinndra Matellan. We judge you ready to accept your place in our order. Yuon?

: Before this council, I take from you the title of Padawan. In its place, I grant you the title of Jedi, a full member of our order. Honor the past. Work for the future.

: May the Force always be with you. You've.. done so well, my student. I'm...

: Master?

: Back away, give her some air. Yuon? Can you hear me?

---

: Yuon is resting comfortably for now. It seems she's suffering from some kind of illness.

: I won't lie to you -- her condition is grave.

: I had no idea she was sick. Is there anything we can do for her?

: Yuon tried to heal, Herald. Was no sickness she knew.

: You knew and you didn't say anything?

: Is not for me to tell secrets. Was her wish to train one last hunter. I understood.

: I might be her last student?

: Look, we're sending Yuon to Coruscant. Our researchers there have been recovering artifacts from the first Jedi Temple. They may have found something that can cure Yuon.

: Take a shuttle to Carrick Station and then onward to Coruscant. She will need your help.

: I'll do everything I can, Master.

: Where Herald goes, I go also. Will aid Yuon and Herald both.

: In the meantime, assure Yuon we will be studying your discoveries about Rajivari. You've re-written the book on early Jedi history this month, Padawan. We won't forget that in the chaos.

: When you reach Coruscant, go to the Jedi Embassy in the Senate tower. Find a researcher named Attros Finn, he'll be expecting you.

: May the Force be with you both.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Yes Jedi Council, that is the appropriate reaction to discovering that the mousy padawan just convinced the milenia old Force Ghost of the first Dark Jedi that he was wrong and should rejoin the Light.

Seinndra is my favorite character of the bunch.:3: (Jek is a close second)

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Wow, I always underestimated the Consular storyline but this is actually really good.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The Consuler is probably the most "Jedi" story in the game.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Moon Slayer posted:

It really is, since the Consular is basically like playing a force-sensitive Padme (at least on the Light side,) while the Knight is basically like being Anakin or Kenobi. Meanwhile, the Trooper story is like playing Mass Effect as Garrus, while the Smuggler is like playing Mass Effect Andromeda as Ryder in the middle of the ME trilogy.

The Sith storylines, barring maybe the Bounty Hunter, feel a bit more unique. I think it helps that Light Side Sith always feel smarter than their peers, while Dark Side Jedi are often just boring AND dumb: "you kinda sorta violated the Code" isn't as fun as, "thanks for the help, now LIGHTNING TO THE FACE!"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Moon Slayer posted:

It's one of the very rare Jedi stories in Star Wars that I really like. To me, Jedi feel like they should be scholars, diplomats, mystics, and healers, not action heroes with magic swords and superpowers.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
For those same reasons it feels slightly awkward to pick Shadow, the totally-not-Darth Maul branch.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

Cythereal posted:

It's one of the very rare Jedi stories in Star Wars that I really like. To me, Jedi feel like they should be scholars, diplomats, mystics, and healers, not action heroes with magic swords and superpowers.

This is why it's my favorite, honestly. I can do Space Action hero almost anywhere these days, Space Diplomat is a lot harder to come by. Glad everyone's enjoying the tale of the nerdiest Jedi in the galaxy!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The Esseles, part 2

[Note: Between cutscenes I am cutting out a LOT of running through hallways fighting mobs.]

: I don't know how you managed it, but you did. The security doors around the bridge have opened.
: I've yet to face anything I can't overcome.
: I don't know where I'd be if you hadn't been aboard. Probably locked in an Imperial prison. Or worse. I'll go and help Narlock with another diversion so you have as little resistance as possible when you attack the bridge. You'll still have to deal with lronfist, though. And that's no small challenge.
: Didn't you hear me earlier? No one can stand up against me.
: That's good. Most people would panic when faced with an experienced Mandalorian -- or any Mandalorian, really.
: I don't panic.
: I only know lronfist by reputation, but he's been doing Grand Moff Kilran's dirty work for a long time now. He's never been captured, defeated, or even driven back. You have your work cut out for you.

: Another one of Kilran's pet war criminals. I'll just kill him like I kill everyone else who gets in my way.
: What is with you people?
: Just be careful. Mandalorians always have a few tricks up their sleeves. All right, no more time to waste. Narlock, are you there? Can you hear me?
: Copy. This is Narlock! Set for second offensive?
: That's right, commander. I'm on my way to join you now.
: Let's hope Ironfist isn't paying too much attention.
: Narlock and I will do our best to keep him distracted. Good luck.

[On the bridge …]

: Wait, why am I in front?

: Well, well. I was wondering when you'd finally show up.

: This is it? There aren't more of you?
: I'm shaking in my boots -- promise.
: Just give me a decent fight for once, will you? Come on, boys, let's vape this worthless scum and get back to work.
: Ugh, we get it, you vape.

: Oof, I was hoping I was going to get through this without having to see someone's head lightsabered off.
: They should have designed armor that doesn't have a neck seam exposed, then.

: First Officer Haken, do you have any spare shuttles in the hangar bay?
: Spare shuttles? Yes, we do, but I don't --
: Then that's our only chance. You have to board Grand Moff Kilran's ship and disable the tractor beam so that we can all escape.
: We've been fighting insane odds all along. No sense stopping now.
: I've been aboard warships like Kilran's. The tractor beam controls should be easy to find, if you know where you're going.

: Ambassador, you're familiar with the layout, perhaps you should go along to help get the tractor beam shut down.
: Hmm. We need every advantage we can get.
: I sure don't know my way around an Imperial warship.
: I'll do my best to help in any way I can.
: Ambassador, before you go -- take a spare uniform. We wouldn't want any Imperials to recognize you.
: Good thinking, commander, thank you. Now let's get moving.
: Good luck out there. We're all counting on you.

: Hey! Hold up a minute. I need to talk to you before you go.
: What is it, Haken?
: Yeah, we're a bit busy saving your ship.
: I just talked to Salen from engineering. He told me what Asara tried to make you do down there. Thank you for stopping her.
: She was just doing what she thought she had to do to save the ship.
: And she would've killed a lot of good people if you hadn't stopped her. Thank you. Listen, I've been thinking. I really believe this plan is going to work. But there's only one way to guarantee that we all make it home safe, and that's to make sure the Imperials have no reason to keep chasing us.
: You want me to hand the ambassador over to the Imperials, don't you?

: Yes. For the sake of us all, I want you to leave Asara behind on the grand moff's ship. With the tractor beam down we'll be able to escape, but Kilran will just chase us down again -- unless he's already captured his target. As long as Asara is on this ship everyone aboard is in danger. l don't know about you but I'm tired of risking all of our lives for that woman.
: Is this really what's best for the ship? Or are you just looking for a bit of payback? I mean, I get it, but …
: Maybe. Doesn't change the fact that leaving her behind will save the rest of us.
: But …
: Just think about it. I'd even make it worth your while if things go the way I'm suggesting. Anyway, you'd better get going -- I've held you up too long already. Good luck.

: So, master Jedi, what's the play here?
: What do you mean?
: With Asara?
: We're not giving the Imperials what they want. Not now, not ever.
: Also, giving people to the Imperials would be incredibly wrong.
: That too.

: And with some fancy flying, they don't even know we're here. You're welcome.

: Thank you. Now we'll stay here and cover your escape route. Get that tractor beam offline!

: Dang, Kilran really has a crush on this lady, doesn't he?
: I mean, I can't blame him. I'm into it.
: :rolleyes:
: What? I may not be Force sensitive but I'm not blind!

: And … tractor beam is offline! We may not die horribly after all!
: That's the spirit.

: Well. I've seen some incredible things in my time but you've just topped the list. I'm sorry I couldn't greet you in person -- if only you had let me know you were stopping by.

: If this is a bad time we could come back later.
: Oh, no. Not at all. I assure you I'm quite prepared for your visit. My men will be along shortly to escort you to the accommodations I've arranged.
: I guess this is where the fun begins.
: lronfist wasn't the only weapon in my arsenal -- nor the deadliest. See you soon.

To be continued …

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 16, 2020

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Fun thing, Ironfist has the most amazing sarcastic clap ever, and you can do it too ingame by typing /ironfist

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
The Old Republic was Prequel Memeing before it was cool.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

All your characterizations are coming along great.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

thetruegentleman posted:

I think it helps that Light Side Sith always feel smarter than their peers, while Dark Side Jedi are often just boring AND dumb: "you kinda sorta violated the Code" isn't as fun as, "thanks for the help, now LIGHTNING TO THE FACE!"

I admit I got some amusement out of the Dark Side Counselor spewing Jedi platitudes like "Death is part of the Force" to justify slaughtering people, but yeah, about the only Republic class that really worked well as Dark Side was Trooper for me, just not that many awesome/amusing Dark Side options I recall on Republic side. Though since we're past Tython now I can share one side quest Dark Side resolution that was unintentionally amusing for the graphics, still laugh at the Flesh Raider spinning off here.

Also I deeply appreciate that Kilran has some great replies if you snark at him, makes him a wonderful villain.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

:golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

MadDogMike posted:

I admit I got some amusement out of the Dark Side Counselor spewing Jedi platitudes like "Death is part of the Force" to justify slaughtering people, but yeah, about the only Republic class that really worked well as Dark Side was Trooper for me, just not that many awesome/amusing Dark Side options I recall on Republic side. Though since we're past Tython now I can share one side quest Dark Side resolution that was unintentionally amusing for the graphics, still laugh at the Flesh Raider spinning off here.

Also I deeply appreciate that Kilran has some great replies if you snark at him, makes him a wonderful villain.

I was going to do that quest but nixed it because 1) it really only works when you see it in motion and I'm not good at making gifs, and 2) I'm worried about getting too bogged down in side quests will make this LP take forever. This is absolutely not going to be a 100% run!

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

MadDogMike posted:

Looks like Team Flesh Raider is blasting off again!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That's pretty funny.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The Esseles, part 3

: I hope you realize that this is getting out of hand. You're leaving me with precious few options. I don't want to do anything drastic. But I will. Surrender -- now.
: Hyperdrive offline! Let's get back to the hanger and get off this drukking thing!

[From here I have cut out a LOT of running through halls, fighting mobs, two bosses (one of the optional), and a quick trip down a garbage chute. Flashpoints are big; I'd say The Esseles takes about 30 minutes to complete, longer if you're messing around getting good angles on a recording.]

: Blast, they've got a forcefield on the hanger! Seinndra, get that thing down! You two, keep them off of her.
: On it!
: Wait, are you in charge? Since when?
: We listen to the Jedi.

: There you are! Hurry, Someone's trying to get in through the maintenance corridor!

: Do you feel that? It's … cold.
: ...
: Work faster.

: Got it!

: Hey! Put her down!

: *cough cough gasp*

: At last -- a real, live Jedi. How I've looked forward to this. A true Sith cannot go long without a true challenge.
: You think you scare me? I've been training and looking forward to a fight like this my whole life. I haven't met anyone who could stop me yet.
: None of you will leave here alive. To destroy a dangerous foe … that is the way of a true Sith. When I carve your heart from your chest, your fellow Jedi will sense your defeat. As will my master.
: Some people get to have all the fun.
: Such witticisms will not save you.
: It might. Wouldn't be the first time.
: The power of the dark side is infinite … are you ready to face oblivion?
: Your big talk is wasted on me.
: You're right -- words are nothing without action!

: I can't get a clear shot!
: You won't need to!

: Never mind, I'm good now!
: Ahhh, stay away, ugly! Would you believe me if I told you I wasn't with them!?
: Face me, Sith, and be destroyed!

: Blarg! *dies*
: Yes! The light is triumphant once again!
: I knocked out the soldiers, too.
: I was wondering where you had gotten off to.
: Very well, you leave me no choice. I'm charging up our main turbolaser batteries. In a few moments your pathetic ship and all of your pathetic friends will be nothing but floating debris.
: Let's get out of here.

: Come on! Get onto the shuttles, we have to hurry! If we launch fast enough I think we can make it. Are you ready?

: First Officer Haken doesn't want you to come back from this one, ambassador. He thinks you'll just cause more trouble.
: Uh, is this really the time?
: I think she has a right to know.
: Is this a joke? That spineless, indecisive … he wants you to hand me over to the Imperials? Unbelievable. After everything I've done to save this ship. Everything I've done for the Republic. That scum tries to betray me to the Empire.

: Wait. You didn't actually agree to leave me behind, did you?
: I wouldn't leave you behind to die, Asara.
: Good. I was about to … well, it doesn't matter. Come on, we've wasted too much time here already. Let's go!
: Very smooth, Jek.
: I know, right? Ladies love a noble hero.
: And maybe someday, the Ambassador will meet one.
: Shh!

: Everyone's aboard. Plex! Get us out of here now!

: We're safe! You did it -- you did what no one else could have done. You've saved us all. We owe you our lives … every one of us. So on behalf of the passengers and crew of the Republic transport Esseles, thank you.
: It's the Jedi way.
: There's no reason for modesty. What you accomplished here is truly amazing.

: Ambassador Asara, it's … it's a relief to see that you made it back to us safely as well.
: Really? I imagine it comes as a bit of a surprise to see me here at all, Haken.
: l -- l don't know what you mean. Of course I'm glad to see you. Why would you think differently?
: I don't know what she's talking about.
: Oh, it's nothing. Just a small matter I'll be discussing with some friends once we reach Coruscant.

: Thank you for telling me the truth and for everything else you've done here.

[There are a few ways this can play out. You can leave the ambassador on the Imperial ship, or you can not do that but not tell her it was an option. Or you can wait until you're on the bridge to tell her.]

: The Republic needs heroes like you now more than ever.
: We did what we had to do, nothing more.
: I mean it. If you hadn't been here we would all be dead for certain. I should warn you, though. Grand Moff Kilran is never going to forget what we've done. He'll stop at nothing to get his revenge.
: If Kilran thinks he can take us, he's in for a surprise. Besides, I'm always happy to ruin the Butcher of Coruscant's day, and judging by the trail of bodies the Jedi left, I don't think I'm the only one!
: Just be sure to stay alert from now on. Kilran is full of surprises. Anyway, enough of that. I'd say it's about time we all relaxed a bit and enjoyed the rest of our trip. Thanks again -- and good luck in the future.

[A bit later …]

: Yeah it was pretty touch and go there for a while. Didn't think we were going to make it back in time, but I knew that you -- and everyone else on this ship, naturally -- were counting on us so I told the Jedi that failure wasn't an option.
: Oh my, how brave.
: Ah, all in a day's work, really. So, where did you say you were staying on Coruscant? Think I can get your holo frequency?
: :rolleyes: Hey, Jek, get over here, we're on final approach!
: Shut up, man, you're going to ruin this for me!

: Oh wow.
: Never seen Coruscant before, master Jedi?
: No, I was raised in Jedi enclaves in the Outer Rim, mostly. This is … something.
: Well, no offense everyone, but I've got business to take care of. Let's not do this again soon, okay?
: Don't worry, captain. What are the odds all four of us get into trouble with each other a second time?
: Well great. You just had to jinx it.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

Moon Slayer posted:

: Don't worry, captain. What are the odds all four of us get into trouble with each other a second time?

:v:

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Moon Slayer posted:

: Ahhh, stay away, ugly! Would you believe me if I told you I wasn't with them!?

I swear to God I recall there being one smuggler line with the end boss where if a Jedi wins the first line and gets the Sith guy excited about facing a Jedi, the smuggler has a follow up line to the effect "I see you guys are busy, how about I just run along and leave you to it?". However the Sith basically indicates he's more than happy to kill everybody, so the answer to that question appears to be "he doesn't care if you're with the Jedi or not".

As for leaving Asara behind, given it takes multiple choices to actually get that decision and in a group that means multiple people would need to want to pick all said choices, I don't think I've ever actually seen a group make that decision. On the bright side you get light side/dark side points for your decisions, not the group decision, so on the rare instance somebody decides to pick being an evil bastard for the group it doesn't actually impact your character's alignment.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Great job defeating the bad man. Well, not THE bad man. A bad man.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Moon Slayer posted:

: At last -- a real, live Jedi. How I've looked forward to this. A true Sith cannot go long without a true challenge.
: You think you scare me? I've been training and looking forward to a fight like this my whole life. I haven't met anyone who could stop me yet.
: None of you will leave here alive. To destroy a dangerous foe … that is the way of a true Sith. When I carve your heart from your chest, your fellow Jedi will sense your defeat. As will my master.
: Some people get to have all the fun.
: Such witticisms will not save you.
: It might. Wouldn't be the first time.
: The power of the dark side is infinite … are you ready to face oblivion?

Ahhh, the first of many. I love seeing these guys get their rear end kicked.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

: Lord Malak was most displeased when he heard you escaped Taris alive.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Ahhh, the first of many. I love seeing these guys get their rear end kicked.

Beating the hell out of smug sith (or jedi) as a non-force-using class is one of the more fun parts of this game, tbh.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

FoolyCharged posted:

I heard this line every time I whipped this dude's rear end.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

As a scoundrel it is just magnificent to kick sith in the junk and the shotgun them in the back of the head. So satisfying.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

FoolyCharged posted:

n-nnooooooooooooo :negative:

(this is good, I laughed)

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Siegkrow posted:

As a scoundrel it is just magnificent to kick sith in the junk and the shotgun them in the back of the head. So satisfying.

I admit the sickening crunch sound from Dirty Kick made it even funnier/wince inducing. Of course, for real fun, if your account has a class that cleared through Chapter 3 of their class story, every other alt of other classes gets a particular ability they can use from that class. The Smuggler's ability is, of course, Dirty Kick, so if you have a high enough smuggler you can make Jedi, Sith, Imperial Agents, etc. who can go for a crotch destroying attack every couple of minutes or so. Always funny as a death blow.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

: Wow. You spend enough time on a backwater like Ord Mantell and you almost forget whata civilized planet is supposed to look like.

: I did my officer training here, back before I was deployed to Ord Mantell. There was still a fair bit of reconstruction going on then, rebuilding things the Imperials destroyed. I still can't believe the Empire managed to sack Coruscant back in the war. The capital of the entire Republic, and they raided it like some Outer Rim mudball.

: It seems like the Empire would've tried to hold onto Coruscant.

Aric Jorgan: Nah, they didn't bring the numbers to actually take over. It was a psych op-sack Coruscant, scare everyone in the Republic. Get people thinking that nobody's safe. Anyways, how was the ride Coreward?

: It was poo poo. You?

: Minor scuffle with the Imps.

: You're still here, so I take it you killed them?

: Not just me; a pair of Jedi and a stray.

: Always good to have Jedi helping out.

: I'm not so sure; Jedi usually try talking Sith to death first, but both of these skipped right into combat.

: Good. Trying to show an unrepentant murderer mercy was crazy to begin with.

: Sure, but it means the Jedi's standards are already getting lax, and open war is only going to make that worse. The last Jedi to make compromises like that was Revan and his people, and if we get another Revan-

: Two Jedi forgetting to lecture the first Sith trying to kill them on the intricacies of the Jedi code isn't equivalent to becoming loving REVAN, Dasher.

: ..we'll talk more about this later; seem we have a guest.

: Ah, you're here. It's a great pleasure to meet one of the Republic's finest. I realize you can't discuss it, Lieutenant-but thank you for exposing the traitors on Ord Mantell.

: If you know about that, you also know I've got unfinished business.

: I'm not here to keep you from that. In fact, I represent Vanara Kayl, Senator of Coruscant. She not only speaks for our capital world in the Galactic Senate, but oversees this planet's government. Senator Kayl leads the effort to rebuild what was destroyed during the Sith Empire's invasion. Healing those old wounds has been slow and painful.

: The war's been over a long time. It's hard to believe we're still recovering.

: Some wounds run deeper than others. This world faces many crises: a shattered infrastructure, a booming refugee population... whole sectors descending into anarchy. All of these hinder the rebuilding. Senator Kayl believes you're specially qualified to deal with a dangerous and urgent threat. She'd appreciate the favor of a meeting-immediately.

: You didn't seriously loiter around the spaceport waiting for my shuttle, did you?

: My time is the Senator's time-and I never wait for long. Senator Kayl is the greatest leader we've had in decades. She'll not only rebuild this world, but the rest of the Republic with it. Please, speak to Minister Imogh at the Senate tower. Tell him you're expected. Good luck-and welcome to Coruscant.

: Good job, men! And stay sharp, the Imps have been busy!

: I've been to this planet twice, and it still amazes me. The beating heart of the Republic.

: Heavens, is this place gaudy.

: Ah, at last. One moment, please... Senator? Your special appointment has arrived.

: Thank you for coming on short notice.

: I'm Senator Vanara Kayl. Forgive my abruptness, but time is aluxury I don't possess. As you may have heard, Coruscant is overwhelmed with refugees fleeing Imperial tyranny. Many have been here since the war. The refugees took over the old Galactic Market sector, huddling in shops and warehouses that were abandoned during the Sacking of Coruscant. They refuse to leave.

: There has to be a better place for these refugees to live.

: We've offered to resettle them offworld, but they're demanding to remain here. As so often happens when fear and poverty dominate, a criminal element has risen to take advantage of the situation. The Migrant Merchants' Guild began as a political advocacy group for refugees, Over the years, it transformed into a ruthless and murderous criminal syndicate.

: Do the gangsters have a power structure? A leader?

: It's a consortium of powerful crime lords. When one falls, another takes his place, It makes them difficult to defeat, The Migrant Merchants' Guild has grown increasingly hostile and violent. Their criminal enforcers have acquired military-grade weaponry.

: Earlier today, their thugs took to the streets. They attacked our security personnel, set fires, began rioting. We're facing an armed insurrection.

: Ah hell. You just described the last enemy I fought.

: I need your expertise, Lieutenant. We can't rule out the possibility of Imperial influence. For generations, the old Galactic Market was Coruscant's central trade hub. Its importance isn't merely economic-it's a symbol of the Republic's freedom. The comm channels are jammed. We've lost contact with our security forces. I need your help ending this crisis. The criminals must not win.

: I'll push those gangsters to the bottom of Coruscant, if that's what it takes.

: Burying them may be our best option, Lieutenant. Do whatever you must to save innocent lives from that criminal filth. Find my security chief, Captain Winborn, he'll help. Good luck.

: ..right. Now let's get our REAL orders.

: Yes, Senator, that's exactly what I'm saying. I can assure you that I've seen no shred of proof supporting these rumors of a defection within SpecForce division.

: General, surely you understand, we need more than just your assurances in a matter of this-

: My assurances are what you're getting, Senator. They'll have to be enough. Now if youll excuse me, I seem to have a guest.

: But Gen-

: Impeccable timing, Lieutenant!

: I'm General Garza. It's good to finally meet you in person.

: It's an honor to be here, General. Not sure blowing off the Senate is wise, though.

: That's nothing, trust me. I have to congratulate you-surviving the ordeal on Ord Mantell took skill and courage. I'm impressed.

: : Just doing my duty.

: All the same, you got more done than most would have in the same situation. And Sergeant Jorgan, I'm pleased to have you with us as well. Vander regards you highly.

: Thank you sir, but he has an odd way of showing it.

: Vander did the best he could for you, Sergeant. And I'd say a position in the Republic's most decorated Special Forces squad is doing very well indeed. It's regrettable about Tavus and the others. I knew they were upset, but I never imagined they would be so foolish as to defect. Nevertheless, whatever your former squad-mates once were to us they are now extremely dangerous enemies of the Republic.

: Protecting the Republic from its enemies is our duty.

: I'm glad I can depend on you to do what's necessary, Lieutenant.

: So, let's load up a strike shuttle and hunt Tavus and the rest of them down like the scum they are.

: I would very much like to give that order Sergeant, but I'm afraid we've discovered some new information since you left Ord Mantell. Our intelligence shows that hundreds of other Special Forces soldiers have followed Tavus and defected to the Empire. In short, Lieutenant, we have a catastrophe on our hands.

: I can't believe so many soldiers could abandon our cause.

: It's a dire situation. But we aren't out of options yet. We have one powerful asset that Tavus and his followers haven't planned for: you. Tavus believes you're dead on Ord Mantell, and that Havoc's defection is still a secret. Right now, Tavus will be securing his armament and supplies. We need to cut those supply lines while he isn't expecting it.

: Tavus is with the Empire, now. Wouldn't they keep him supplied?

: The Sith Empire welcomes our defectors, but they're not going to equip men whose loyalty isn't proven. Tavus will need other sources

: Seriously? Wow, what a chump.

: In the past, when Havoc needed supplies outside of the normal Republic channels, they purchased the items from underworld groups here on Coruscant.

: Wait, what?

: I have units working to cut off these underworld sources, but two organizations are proving difficult: the Black Sun and the Migrant Merchants' Guild.

: I'll take care of these people for you, sir.

: You'll begin with the Migrant Merchants Guild. Our intelligence indicates that they're supplying Tavus with a full platoon of advanced war droids. Your mission, in the broad strokes, will be to locate the droid shipments going to Tavus and destroy them.

: What if we let the shipments go? Then we could follow them straight to Tavus.

: I can't risk the possibility that these items could fall into Tavus's hands. One of my people, Corporal Garrum, will meet you outside the Migrant Merchants' Guild's territory with the full operational details. These missions are critical, Lieutenant. Our future success or failure is contingent on how well-supplied Tavus and his followers are.

: I won't fail.

: Good. The safety of the entire Republic depends on your success. I'll be observing your operations from here through your armor-cam. Good luck, Lieutenant-dismissed.

: ..ok, why the hell did they need to go to the BLACK MARKET to get supplies?

: It's quicker to pull money from parts of the budget to get supplies than wait to see if the rest of Republic agrees that the equipment is necessary.

: That's incredibly dumb.

: Yeah? And how would you do it?

: I've been injecting parts of the budget into mission rewards to multiply them, and having MT-4T...

: ... slice the credit accounts of dead enemies to inflate the prize money we've been getting. Everything is bought legally in case I need to justify expenses in an audit.

: Wow. Insane.

: Worked so far.

: Any other incredibly illegal abuses of the Republic's systems I should know about?

: Sure, I've installed Benny...

: ..with cyborg implants so he can do our paperwork.

: Wait, your PET RAM has been filing your reports?!?

: ..yes.

: I don't even know where to start with this.

: He's also been doing people's taxes for about a year now. He makes three times your income.

: Ok, you're either having fun at my expense, or I don't want to know. Either way, I'm done with this.

: TO THE DASH MOBILE!

: ..the Dash Mobile sucks.

: Bah. Let's go see the good Corporal.

: Lieutenant! Corporal Garrum, sir! Ready to brief you on the Migrant Merchants' Guild at your command, sir!

: Calm down, Corporal. You might sprain something.

: Yes, sir. I'll just get started on that briefing, sir. The Migrant Merchants' Guild is a criminal organization comprised primarily of non- humans whose homes were destroyed by the Empire's assault on Coruscant. They began squatting in this district and refused to leave when Republic security tried to push them out. There's been an uneasy truce ever since.

: What's the op?

: The general informed me that your primary target within the guild is a cyborg inventor named Krel. Reports indicate that Krel's strength and speed are at least triple the human norm, with genius-level intelligence to boot. Taking him down will be a real challenge, sir.
: I've been hoping for a real fight.

: Additionally, Krel has designed and constructed a full platoon of advanced war droids that we believe are intended for Tavus and the other SpecForce traitors.

: A full platoon is a lot of firepower to lose. Tavus is really going to feel this one.

: The general wants all of Krel's war droids neutralized before they can be shipped out, sir.

: What's so advanced about these war droids?

: Heavy armor, multiple integrated weapons systems and advanced combat and targeting logic, sir. The deadliest droids money can buy. Krel has his war droids patrolling the Migrant Merchants' Guild base. The general wants them all found and destroyed.

: Do you have n fix on Krel's location?

: Negative, sir. We know he's inside, but that's about it. That concludes the briefing, sir. Good luck and good hunting.

I'm skipping a lot of random thugs; violence doesn't make sense until we get to this part...

: "Barricades, armed standoffs.. It feels like we're back on Ord Mantell, not the capital of the Republic."

: Cut power to the whole blasted planet if you have to! We can't let those crazies take over the network!

: Captain Winborn? Senator Kayl said you need backup. What's the situation?

: We're getting cut to pieces down here. We're not trained to fight an army of killers. These gangsters are smart-organized. Clearly trained oftworld. They'll kill thousands. Might even destroy the Senate tower.

: The Senate tower is nowhere near this sector.

: The scum found themselves a way around that little detail. The gangsters brought slicers to access every network node in the sector. They're trying to take over the automated speeder flight paths. They'll cause thousands of mid-air collisions. It'll rain debris on the Senate tower like a meteor storm. No telling how many will die.

: Have to hand it to the bad guys-they know how to put on a show.

: You ARE here to help us, right? The gangsters have armed patrols guarding the network access points. We need to push them back and manually lock down the terminals. Get enough terminals, and we might just pull this off. My men will back you up. Good luck in there.

: Wow, these guys couldn't look more rent-a-cop if they TRIED.

: They never do expect the mortar.

: Ok, just need to slice this, and...hmm. The network is fixed, but there's a captain with more information here. Better take a look when I get the chance.

: TAKE ME TO KRELL!

Die!

: REAL ORIGINAL, THAT!

: Guessing the robots mean we've found the hideout.

: A safe bet, yeah.

: This is serious hardware. We need to end this, before-

: Republic scum!

:

: Do you really believe you can come here and destroy my creations without conscience? When you die here today, your feeble Republic will learn what it means to meddle in my work.

: In the name of the Republic, I order you to surrender.

: Surrender? To you? Don't be ridiculous. I could crush your skull with a single hand. You're far too late-my plans are already in motion. Soon, the people of this world will be brought to their knees by my greatest creations. My masterpieces.

: What are you talking about, Krel?

: I have taken ordinary humans off the streets and implanted several of them with advanced cybernetic enhancements. Their abilities now rival even my own! The cyborgs' enhancements are internal and undetectable. The subjects themselves don't know who among them was augmented. And neither will anyone else-until it's much too late.

: ..I'm going to make you pay for hurting those people, Krel.

: Fool. This cannot end in any way but your death. After you've been dealt with, I'l release my creations back to their normal lives, to wait until my hidden programming activates.

: This guy's full of it. I don't buy any of this!

: Once my masterpieces begin their work, the people of Coruscant will never be safe again.

: What are these cyborgs going to do?

: I'm afraid you're never going to find out. Destroy him!

: I'm not impressed, rear end in a top hat.

: Come in, Lieutenant.

: I want you to move immediately and destroy the cyborgs. If we don't do it now, they'll disappear into the normal population. I know this isn't easy-that they didn't choose this...but too much is at stake.

: The threat will be neutralized.

: Good. I'm counting on you. Garza out.

: This is a waste of time. We should be going after the traitors, not gunning people down just because some madman said they're dangerous.

: I said it would be neutralized, not that I'm not going to murder these people. I don't care what Garza says.

: Whatever we're going to do, let's do it fast.

: Stay back! The door is locked and sealed! You can't get in! We heard all of the fighting, and we heard you talking to that freak Krel! We're not coming out until you swear you won't hurt us!

: Just open the door, let's talk about this.

: But we're not cyborgs! I'd know if I was some half-machine freak! This is insane!

: You out there! Listen-I'm not sure about these others, but I can assure you that I'm not a cyborg!

: What? Are you calling me a freak like Krel? I'm not a freak! Maybe you're the cyborg, and you're trying to trick everyone!

: I am not! He spent far more time operating on you than he did on me, so if anyone is-

: Both of you, stop it! None of us are cyborgs! That's all there is to it!

: There's just no way to tell for sure, ma'am. Not from here, at least.

: This is insane! Even if a few of us are cyborgs, would you really murder all of us just to be sure none of the cyborgs escape?

: We're not going to kill you.

: Then, you won't hurt us? You'll let us go?

: Give me your names and identification numbers, and l'll let you go.

: What? So you can track us all down and kill us later? No way!

: If I wanted you dead, that door wouldn't save you. This is your only real option, so I suggest you take it.

: If it gets us out of here alive, then it's worth it. We'll put the information on a datapad for you, soldier. Okay, stand back-I'm going to open the door.
: Here's the datapad, soldier. Thank you for sparing us. Let's go home, everyone!

: You'd better not run; I'm trusting you all on this.

: We won't harm anyone, I swear it. Thanks again, soldier. Farewell.

: Lieutenant! My orders were perfectly clear: Eliminate Krel's cyborgs.

: With all due respect, General, I could not obey those orders.

: My orders are not polite suggestions, Lieutenant. You don't choose to follow them-you follow them. Lieutenant, when you are on a mission, you listen to my orders, then your brain, then your heart. In that order. There's no room for sentiment in our line of work. There should be similarly little room for it in you, or we're doomed to fail.

: I don't have to obey illegal orders, sir, and if we're so heartless, what separates us from the Empire?

: We are heartless so that the people of the Republic don't have to be, Lieutenant. So that the Republic does not become the Empire. Always remember that. Return to my office now-we need to discuss your next assignment. Garza out

: Killing innocent civilians for mild loving convenience? I'm starting to understand why her BFF Tavus joined Team Genocide.

: Ok, now let's get- wait-

: What the gently caress?

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

quote:

Two Jedi forgetting to lecture the first Sith trying to kill them on the intricacies of the Jedi code isn't equivalent to becoming loving REVAN, Dasher.
:iceburn: