Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

So from my non-medical background it seems to me that we are starting to have the discussions we should have had last month and the roller coaster is just about at the top of the big drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

So from my non-medical background it seems to me that we are starting to have the discussions we should have had last month and the roller coaster is just about at the top of the big drop.

yes but thatd of spooked the market.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

On the over hand tons of goons kept saying that Americans would never shut down gatherings and start isolating themselves and that seems to be happening all over

We’ll see how long it lasts

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Donnie got his stonks sugar fix, so now he's going back on a deal that his people cut with Pelosi.

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1238609502192238592?s=19

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1238608540429934592?s=19

https://twitter.com/jparkABC/status/1238609546429464581?s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 14, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Dude. My conservative mother has been out here, and I've been telling her for the past two weeks that we should've shut poo poo down months ago. She's starting to see the forest, but there's still trees in the way.

I'd put money on McConnells'wife (transportation secretary Elaine Chau, I think that's right) keeping poo poo open from China (her daddys' a Chinese billionaire) because money was on the line for her family overseas to Scrooge McDuck dive into until poo poo got to hot to ignore.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/...ingawful.com%2F

What in the absolute gently caress

Also I got this from facialimpediment but I didn't feel like quoting and editing the post just for this stupid poo poo

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Fallom posted:

On the over hand tons of goons kept saying that Americans would never shut down gatherings and start isolating themselves and that seems to be happening all over

We’ll see how long it lasts

I am just spitballing but at a guess:
  • Isolation draws out for 2-ish weeks; hospitals briefly hammered, barely controlled chaos.
  • We catch up on testing. Number of added cases doesn't seem too severe once the proverbial dust settles.
  • Overconfidence: businesses start calling for WFH staff to come back in. People getting antsy about how much things have changed and think it's fine now.
  • Another spike in cases because businesses are run but exceedingly lovely people. Hospitals briefly get overwhelmed, except in states that stick to their guns.
  • Second round of shut-downs, for real this time.
  • Way of life continues to be somewhat unrecognizable in comparison to what we're used to.
  • Herd immunity.
  • Damage control.
There's probably some steps I missed in there, but I'm assuming that's what it'll look like in the coming months.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

quote:

Overconfidence: businesses start calling for WFH staff to come back in. People getting antsy about how much things have changed and think it's fine now.

Five or six cycles of this plus everyone who got it first and survived going on infinite overtime as soon as they can stumble around with a broom

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Old Boot posted:

• Isolation draws out for 2-ish weeks; hospitals briefly hammered, barely controlled chaos.
  • We catch up on testing. Number of added cases doesn't seem too severe once the proverbial dust settles.
  • Overconfidence: businesses start calling for WFH staff to come back in. People getting antsy about how much things have changed and think it's fine now.
  • Another spike in cases because businesses are run but exceedingly lovely people. Hospitals briefly get overwhelmed, except in states that stick to their guns.
  • Way of life continues to be somewhat unrecognizable in comparison to what we're used to.
  • Herd immunity.
  • Damage control.
There's probably some steps I missed in there, but I'm assuming that's what it'll look like in the coming months.

This is probably the most sensible take on the next 6-9 months I’ve seen yet.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

shame on an IGA posted:

Five or six cycles of this plus everyone who got it first and survived going on infinite overtime as soon as they can stumble around with a broom

This will be me. :(

I suspect that, even if ill, I and my coworkers will either be forced to still come in, or be taking calls from bed while completely delirious. We are severely understaffed, there's no chance in hell they're hiring on anyone else to fill the gaps, and if we aren't there, literally nothing gets done outside of business hours.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i just emailed my boss offering to help with overnight coverage, gently caress it i'll make some OT

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Is this a souvenir or a threat?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

BigDave posted:

Is this a souvenir or a threat?

It's Donnie Goodbrains celebrating because he brought a bunch of billionaire CEOs up for a nationalized ad campaign for their businesses in the Rose Garden twenty minutes before the markets closed for the weekend and the market calmed down thinking things had gone back to normal, namely the government dedicating itself to giving hand beezys to the rich and corporations. Now he can soothe his ego because BIGLY STRONK LEADER MAKE NUMBER GO UP PROBLEM SOLVED. He will, of course, be completely blind sided when poo poo keeps going sideways because lol an entire loving country is shutting down.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

JESUS CHRIST
:stonk:

Biden scheduled a teleconference town hall for 4:00 today, that was rescheduled to 6:00, then to 6:30, and, well, just watch the official livestream.

All four minutes of it.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=202356457661426&id=7860876103

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I was planning on going to the Society for Military History annual conference in DC next month.

Was.

Et tu, Vincent Van Goatse?

work was gonna let me go since it's local and they like having us at these things to rep but they turned around and said no travel or conferences till May

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

boner penis posted:

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

GoGoGadget posted:

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I'm autistic, and I am loving tired of being made fun of. Stop it, and also gently caress off.

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

Kesper North posted:

I'm autistic, and I am loving tired of being made fun of. Stop it, and also gently caress off.

Same. Not in the mood either. Please miss me with that dumb poo poo.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

shame on an IGA posted:

JESUS CHRIST
:stonk:

Biden scheduled a teleconference town hall for 4:00 today, that was rescheduled to 6:00, then to 6:30, and, well, just watch the official livestream.

All four minutes of it.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=202356457661426&id=7860876103
"Technical difficulties" = "Grandpa forgot he was supposed to speak facing the camera", apparently.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1238279273338855424?s=20

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Man I totally forget about my renters. Just talked to them and one got layed off. The second makes enough to make the rent but he works in sheet metal. Told them not to worry we will work through this.

gently caress this is gonna hurt having to support another couple of kids.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Tell them they're to man the crab fields. Then you'll be able to open a roadside crab stand. Soon you'll be rolling in crab bucks.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The supervolcano would be a mercy on us all

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Tell them they can mow your lawns or possibly paint your house

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

EBB posted:

The supervolcano would be a mercy on us all

Oh thank god. The virus can't survive if we all freeze to death.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok I’m turning off the Coronavirus threads. Watching goons in a panic orgy is not helpful, just anxiety-inducing

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
One of our guys got yanked from TDY, I wondered when this was going to be officially ordered.

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1238657947363876864

https://twitter.com/LauraLitvan/status/1238658857108463616

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 14, 2020

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Tell them they're to man the crab fields. Then you'll be able to open a roadside crab stand. Soon you'll be rollingscuttling in crab bucks.

ftfy

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

:yeeclaw:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Tell them they're to man the crab fields. Then you'll be able to open a roadside crab stand. Soon you'll be rolling in crab bucks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxrMlLw_Tyg

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That's Crabitalism!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

"We live and die by the crab, Dee"

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Old Boot posted:

• Herd immunity.
  • Damage control.

To get to herd immunity we need about 55% of the population to get infected/vaccinated. Absent a vaccine that'll result in ~34 million hospitalizations (327,000,000*.55*.19) in a country with less than a million total beds. It's a solvable problem, but not absent a World War level mobilization (probably the first one though!)

wins32767 fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 14, 2020

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

Fallom posted:

Ok I’m turning off the Coronavirus threads. Watching goons in a panic orgy is not helpful, just anxiety-inducing

Yeah. Being on this forum has been an interesting experience. This seems to be one of the more sane threads for information, and I definitely appreciate the veteran audience.

I tried D&D and that shithole of a primary thread had me go from "it's in the bag, gently caress the machine, Bernie is gonna win" to existential despair and dread. I'd probably be quadruple hosed if I checked out the coronavirus thread.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Found the problem

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Found the problem

I mean a dude I played HOTS w introduced me to this place. I'm still figuring it out. Definitely gonna minimize my time there. It's getting to be a bit daft loving with those particular posters

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Just be aware this is the ghoulish, conspiracy mongering subforum

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
I'm starting a new job across the country in 2 weeks and I have no idea how I'll get there or whether there will be people to onboard me in person when I arrive. This COVID19 stuff is so frustrating and causing so much uncertainty.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

And we had a member perform amateur surgery in Libya, then spent a few years in a Syrian prison

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm supposed to drive home for spring break next Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Does anyone have a link to the article that quote came from?