Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It saddens me that Blonkamp would have been great for a Robocop or Aliens sequel, but both of them ended up stillborn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Controversial opinion.

I really liked Predators.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Controversial opinion.

I really liked Predators.

It is by a good margin the third best theatrical film featuring one or more predators.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Good or bad or whatever you believe, I think the idea of it was great. Get a bunch of Earth's most dangerous people and hunt something that can kill you.

Good sport.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I meant the margin was over the predator and both avps.

It's solidly watchable and doesn't hurt the canon as bad as predators trying to catch autism for superpowers

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Oh I didn't think you were criticizing it in any other way. I was just making another statement.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It feels like a Predator 2 day.

That movie is kind of weird and a clear step down but I still have a soft spot for it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Predators is really disappointing. I don’t think it had the ambition to realize the potential of the plot. A Predator movie set in a hunting preserve on an alien planet is a bomb-rear end idea; unfortunately nothing about the movie takes advantage of that idea AT ALL. It looks exactly like a jungle on Earth and could in fact be set in a jungle on Earth without anything really changing about the plot. The lamest example of this is when the Predators sic alien dogs on the prey: the terms of the plot allow that their hunting beasts could be absolutely anything at all, but they’re just weird spiky CG things that behave pretty much exactly like hunting dogs. They could have made them the monsters from Pitch Black, or flying blue monkeys or brains with tentacles or whatever the hell, but all they could think of was “alien dogs”.

A lot of other things about it are very cliche also. The traumatized veteran is obviously gonna turn out to be evil, the nerdy doctor is obviously gonna turn out to be a killer, and Brody is obviously gonna stop being such an edgy lone wolf. There’s pointless callbacks to the first movie that feel like Force Awakens-levels of fanservice. There’s some okay character work done and it strikes more or less the right tone, this isn’t a complete POS like “The Predator”, but that’s what I mean by disappointing. 1 and 2 are both leaps and bounds better.

Also, biggest waste of Mahershala Ali ever

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It feels like a Predator 2 day.

That movie is kind of weird and a clear step down but I still have a soft spot for it.

Same. I still enjoy it even if it isn't that great. Best part about it:

Bill Paxton is in it.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is one of the symptoms of coronoa virus bad film opinions? Cos I can't believe you crazy fools are badmouthing Predator 2.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Its a good sequel, its just good in the way Robocop 2 is instead of the way Aliens or Terminator 2 is

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Predator 2 has its rough spots, but it also has a scene in which a Rasta drug baron fights a Predator with a swordcane, making it the greatest movie of all time

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

purple death ray posted:

Its a good sequel, its just good in the way Robocop 2 is instead of the way Aliens or Terminator 2 is

*raises pistol to the back of your head*
Yeah, that's right, buddy. Tell me more about how Predator 2 isn't good.
*a single tear runs down my cheek as I pull the trigger*

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Predator 2 & Robocop 2 are films I like & I think are good, but compared to their predecessors they're inferior. That's okay! At least they're not the 3rd installments in their respective franchises...

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I saw Robocop 2 when I was much older so it don't have that nostalgia effect on me. I'm not a fan.

However, when I was a kid my family was camping at Jellystone Park and they had a visitor type center and they had a Robocop 2 arcade game. My brother and I beat it with $2.75. :smug: First and only arcade game I've ever beaten.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

skasion posted:

Predators is really disappointing. I don’t think it had the ambition to realize the potential of the plot. A Predator movie set in a hunting preserve on an alien planet is a bomb-rear end idea; unfortunately nothing about the movie takes advantage of that idea AT ALL. It looks exactly like a jungle on Earth and could in fact be set in a jungle on Earth without anything really changing about the plot. The lamest example of this is when the Predators sic alien dogs on the prey: the terms of the plot allow that their hunting beasts could be absolutely anything at all, but they’re just weird spiky CG things that behave pretty much exactly like hunting dogs. They could have made them the monsters from Pitch Black, or flying blue monkeys or brains with tentacles or whatever the hell, but all they could think of was “alien dogs”.

A lot of other things about it are very cliche also. The traumatized veteran is obviously gonna turn out to be evil, the nerdy doctor is obviously gonna turn out to be a killer, and Brody is obviously gonna stop being such an edgy lone wolf. There’s pointless callbacks to the first movie that feel like Force Awakens-levels of fanservice. There’s some okay character work done and it strikes more or less the right tone, this isn’t a complete POS like “The Predator”, but that’s what I mean by disappointing. 1 and 2 are both leaps and bounds better.

Counterpoint

Laurence Fishburne

That's literally the only thing I remember about the movie because he just takes over the whole goddamn film.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Greggster posted:

Counterpoint

Laurence Fishburne

That's literally the only thing I remember about the movie because he just takes over the whole goddamn film.

He does. I’d have liked to see the movie from his point of view tbh

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Could 100 Goggins with shivs and pred armor kill a xeno?

In full prison rage mode calling the xeno a space human being.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 13, 2020

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I saw Robocop 2 when I was much older so it don't have that nostalgia effect on me. I'm not a fan.

However, when I was a kid my family was camping at Jellystone Park and they had a visitor type center and they had a Robocop 2 arcade game. My brother and I beat it with $2.75. :smug: First and only arcade game I've ever beaten.

I had Robocop 2 on VHS when I was a kid, and I still didn't think it was as good a film as the first. You can really tell it was Frankensteined together from multiple scripts, there's no real point to anything, just a bunch of stuff that happens. But the special effects are still good, Weller is still great as Murphy and it's still entertaining. But it's nowhere near as good as Predator 2.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
The real one everyone needs to be watching is Death Machine.

Brad Dourif chewing scenery? Check.
Plot is essentially cyberpunk Die Hard? Check.
Namedrops a zillion horror directors and Weyland-Yutani? You know it.
The Night King from GoT getting shark-attacked in an office building by a rampaging Warbeast? Motherfucking CHECK.

It's such a goofy movie that shouldn't work, but it somehow does.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sold

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Wild T posted:

The real one everyone needs to be watching is Death Machine.

Brad Dourif chewing scenery? Check.
Plot is essentially cyberpunk Die Hard? Check.
Namedrops a zillion horror directors and Weyland-Yutani? You know it.
The Night King from GoT getting shark-attacked in an office building by a rampaging Warbeast? Motherfucking CHECK.

It's such a goofy movie that shouldn't work, but it somehow does.

Is that on streaming anywhere?

Speaking of the Night King, Richard Brake is awesome and can do no wrong.

Exhibit A: https://youtu.be/3GFJc7KUjKk

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

skasion posted:

And while it pulls the idea off better than it reasonably should, the concept of "bigger meaner Predator tribes" is the laziest hack idea to try and liven it up.

You're not wrong on any of that, but I still liked it. It's really well-cast--yes even Adrian Brody-- and despite all the obvious corner cuts it actually got its rear end made. It should have been better, but honestly that it got made at all is impressive. Most sequels or franchise reboots don't get the luxury of even trying something as out there.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Predator 2 as a sequel tries to subvert the action subgenre it belonged to (the police action film in this case, where the first one was subverting the military action film) and makes an honest attempt but doesn't quite nail the landing. Still, there's enough there to make it worth checking out at least once. Still the second best Predator film to date.

Predators and The Predator are just different flavours of poo poo, but frustratingly, enough there to give a glimpse of the movie it could have been, rather than the film it ended up being.

I really don’t care much for RoboCop 2. It’s mostly an unfocused mess.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 14, 2020

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Posting to say the newest predator movie actually loving ruled, I couldn't believe they'd loving made a surreal black comedy, almost arrested development-like in how it was completely ridiculous yet took itself incredibly seriously. I was laughing my rear end off several times, like when the dude shoots himself in the head with the shouldergun, or when tom jane and keegan-michael key mercy kill each other at the same time.

I was surprised when I learned theyd only accidentally made the movie good, to me.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'm gonna guess you & other goons will soon have a lot of free time. I suggest the following movies to pass the time:
Alien
Aliens
Robocop
The Terminator
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
Starship Troopers
The Thing
Predator

Umm yea, if you've been following this thread, or have existed since the mid 80s or earlier everyone has seen these a dozen times.

As for less obivous ones, maybe I'm hanging my rear end out for a spanking but I *just* saw hardware? I mean... It's a cheap knockoff of alien and terminator and mad max, but it's been 25-30 years since I saw those movies as new art and so seeing a blatant ripoff now was almost like reminiscing about a thing I liked rather than see it desecrated? Plus Iggy and Lemmy and a stunningly attractive Final Girl? And it was fun to boo the name 'Weinstein' when it came up in huge letters in a theater with a bunch of other people, and the creepy perv did a better job of establishing what a nightmare it is to be a woman in a crowded city than a million #MeToo essays? Any other ones I haven't seen? Species, Galaxy of Terror, Lifeform, forbidden world that have been mentioned are MST3K level schlock.

Glad the Hardware director has finally gotten more work after freaking out and running into the jungle after getting fired from Island of Dr Moreau, Color out of Space was a good B-movie. Helps to be rolling while you see it.

and at the risk of quashing a bit that people are (maybe) pretending not to get?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVlQ8kIg7e4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9tvaa7hvz8

gotta empty out dem dreamcaychers. Momma ain't had a decent dream since your sister when whitewater rafting...

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 14, 2020

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

And if I may if I might double reply to talk about the 'free time' we're all gonna have, I live in SoCal, I caught a two day sniffle, stayed home cause, what kinda rear end in a top hat toughs out a cold at work when everyone's panicking about what is essentially the Spanish Cold and I'm lucky enough to have a job where I don't have an rear end in a top hat boss who'd fire me for it and I have enough CAL time saved to cover it?

I basically sit at home, watch lovely movies (Dyrak, John Wicks 1&2, Predator 2 and Near Dark) and feel bummed. Hop on the train this morning, the usual ten freakos who bother with public transit in this blighted shithole, usual schmoes at work, and its only when I get off the train home and get on the highway (because in SoCal, even a public transit commute involves 15-20 minutes of highway driving) it was clear sailing, 60mph+ all the way in. Normally it's 25mph, stop and go.

Felt like the protagonist of Walking Dead or 28 Days Later (who ripped off who?) coming out of a hospital to find the whole world emptied. Anyway, after finding some friends and drinking at the bar, turns out they got the bug just south of us, half of their works were canceled and I guess schools out for Mar-harch. This is gonna be some weird poo poo where America finally figures out which Bullshit Jobs need actual doing.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Motherfucker, did you just call the John Wicks and Near Dark “lovely?” Mate, I’ll kick your butt.

At Nintendo.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Vagabundo posted:

Motherfucker, did you just call the John Wicks and Near Dark “lovely?” Mate, I’ll kick your butt.

At Nintendo.

Hah. 'Trashy' work? I don't think they're meant to be binged. Or watched on a computer where you can pause everything. Like, I get everything is just heightened to a ridiculous degree and that's the whole point, eventually you've just gotta give into the reality of this world that runs on Super Mario Gold coins that are worth, at different times, a cab ride, a drink at a bar, an arsenal's worth of heavy weapons, and your entire life.

And the weird sultan in the desert who:

1. John Wick learns how to find by asking a girl to introduce him to a man who gratiutiously shoots the girls dog
2. Leading to a massacre of the like, #2 assassin in the universe and all his guys.
3. Which has no repercussions when he finds the #1 assassin in the universe who John Wick nearly kills himself to reach, cuts his finger off and sacrifices his *wedding ring* (he's murdered a bakers gross of people and got hit by 3 cars to retrieve a birthday card his wife gave him) in order to
4. Get back in and then immediately out of his good graces by flipping in a second when Ian MacShane says 'hey wanna sacrifice everything you've done in this movie, and all the sacrifices everyone you've had anything to do with has suffered and go up against an army while I sip campari in a bank vault and gently caress around with a remote control? And then I gutshoot you and toss you off a 10 story building the second I get a chance to work my angle?"

Like, it's a FINE movie. But like. Raid Redemption? Untouchable.

The Night Belongs to Us is a great movie, The Raid 2 is a great movie. Both of them involve the good guy getting filleted like a fatty tuna *multiple* times before the big fight and still kicking rear end. At a certain point it becomes comedic, you know?

I dunno why but Only God Forgives I kinda dug and no one else. They kinda build up Gosling as he's gonna be this wildass monster in the ring and it's like "nah he's just some richkid failson in way over his head, coasting on his family's money and reputation. First person with some grit who isn't scared of him turns him into paste".

Or Brick. By the end of the movie, Gordon Levitt is a brokerib, dry hacking mess. He can barely stand. Everyone over 30 has a sports injury or just stepped wrong and hosed their body up permanently. I dunno from experience but I feel like getting shot or slashed 3 times in 3 minutes with a machete should pretty much put you out of the movie. Or at least make it so you have to win without some wildass pencat silat moves.

But yes, Near Dark is poo poo. Paxton is fun; Lance Henriksen makes any movie more intense by just looking how he looks, but the plot is non existent. It's an hour of some hillbilly waffling on whether he wants to be a vampire and then just deciding, nah, I don't. It takes forever for nothing to happen. Leaving 'Shitkicker Heaven' aside, name three other memorable scenes. (I feel like when I watched Sandlot at 15 and told all my friends who'd loved it for half their life 'this movie kinda blows')

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 14, 2020

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

And on further review I wrote 'lovely movies' followed by 'predator 2 and Near Dark' and then thought backwards and rememebred John Wicks and Dyrak (which is, like, by NO means a poo poo movie) and edited them in in reverse without editing 'lovely'. They were day one when I was on suda to dry me up and edibles to bring me down off the suda so I could nap and I was alternating between beers and the cold/sinus stuff I bought that had acetominophen cause my understanding is it takes an hour to metabolise a drink and I assumed If I've metabolized the beer I can have some acetominophen and vice versa, and I was just on a cocktail. (don't correct me if I'm wrong)

I mean, I watched two john wicks and had to think about whether I had, man. I got that bug. Cut me some slack

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
The thread needs more good Survival Horror sci fi ish flicks to discuss I think.

No love for The Descent and Event Horizon? Because they are both loving awesome. Although one has a terrible sequel that is ruined by a typical horror movie stinger end.

Also some love for Deep Blue Sea which is like the 2nd best killer shark movie after Jaws. (But I actually enjoy Jaws 3 even if it's around the 5th or 6th best in that genre. Bait, Jaws 2, and The Meg are in that group. J3 is probably better than Meg though. Worse SFX obviously.

Those are all legit survival horror with sci fi elements. (Oddly enough I was playing my original long plastic box release of Resident Evil yesterday and got eaten by the Shark. I had gone so far without having a save point that I decided that's enough janky gameplay. Though the other reason I got my PS1 back then was Alien Trilogy which still holds up completely. Even if AvP2 is still the superior Alien fps.)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

My problem with the John Wick movies is the same one I have with a lot of the Aliens extended universe novels and just sci-fi in general. You start with a really cool concept that is cool in part because it's not completely explained to the audience, and then in the sequels they felt the need to expand on the world-building part until they hit a point where everybody in New York belongs to some kind of secret assassin clan and we all know all the rules but the problem is this is an inherently unbelievable world to begin with so the more you expand on it the more I subconsciously go "Oh this is dumb bullshit I don't have to care about it." The John Wick films are good films with incredibly slick production and choreography and stuff, and I will always enjoy watching them, but that kind of thing is frustrating.

I was reading the novelization of Alien: Isolation the other day because gently caress it I'm bored, and there was like a whole page about what the name of the multitool jack thing is and who built it and how it compares to other ones and from then on the author refers to it as the Seegson K-97 literally every time it's used and I just had to put it down because I don't care. It doesn't make your world more realistic when you go into the minutiae of that kind of poo poo, it makes it seem like you have nothing to hang your hat on besides "I named everything!" Save that poo poo for the technical manuals imo.

Anyway sorry for my meltdown, Event Horizon kicks rear end, and so do most of the shark movies named there. Shark movies walk a real fine line though.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
Agreed on Event Horizon. It's great.
Unfortunately it's also heavily edited and we'll never see the truly insane uncut/director's cut version.

There was a lot more torture orgy scenes but they were all pretty much all cut and condensed into that horror flash sequence.
I think I read somewhere (maybe this thread) that while they did film the full scenes they were lost or destroyed in a fire or were too low quality to be used or something like that.
If you're morbidly curious theres screen shots of them out there. Some are kinda meh while others are loving nuts.

I also thought The Decent was really good.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 14, 2020

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The Descent is great. I have a soft spot for stories where the main character slowly transitions from a terrified victim to an insane murdermachine badass. I call it the "Ripley Arc" lol. Probably part of the reason I liked the Dead Space games so much.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Jay_Zombie posted:

I also thought The Decent was really good.

I thought it was just fairly descent.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Captain Rufus posted:

No love for Event Horizon?
Man that's a good flick.

Beet Wagon posted:

My problem with the John Wick movies is You start with a really cool concept that is cool in part because it's not completely explained to the audience, and then in the sequels they felt the need to expand on the world-building part until they hit a point where everybody in New York belongs to some kind of secret assassin clan and we all know all the rules.

Anyway sorry for my meltdown, Event Horizon kicks rear end, and so do most of the shark movies named there. Shark movies walk a real fine line though.

I literally texted my friend as I watched John Wick's final hour of grace in number 3 (which he's granted in broad daylight on a sunny day in 2, and it hasn't expired yet and it's dark and raining in 3) when LITERALLY everyone in New York is staring at him licking their chops at the chance to throw them selves into a woodchipper.

Like, why go to the trouble of the secret lair of suicide girls who take the call on a live-managed landline switchboard, write it out on a typewriter, roll it up, put it in a vacuum tube, then put it into an old tandy computer and... everyone just gets an SMS. Weird redundant anachronism of that scene aside, loving put it on CNN! Everyone in the world, including John Wick's loving FIREMAN is aware of the assassins.

While we're rattling off good flicks, at the time, leaving the theater, I described Green Room as 'the tensest movie I've seen since Alien'.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Event Horizon is the kind of project that deserves a B but you give it an A just because no one else had the balls to even try, let alone get that far. Paul WS Anderson is the King of making movies I really don't like but begrudgingly respect.

The Descent is an A+ movie through and through.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Imagine how spicy a slow cooked stew of alien meat would be if you didn’t drain the acid.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Mmmmm yes, the boiling alien acid blood wafting through the air, corroding my lungs as I savor the aroma.

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, you'll need to balance it out with a strong alkali. Put the flesh, bone and offal in a large plastic tub and pour in loads of water to dilute it.

I would then marinate the meat in baking soda to neutralise and tenderise overnight.

Use the heavily washed bones as stock, and at some stage, add some roux.