Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Neslepaks posted:

Got the SRC. :woop:

Grats!

Crunchy Black posted:

J24 + tools for making her hoistable at City Marina, Charleston.

Dry storage?

I've finally overcome my natural cheapness and am going to rent a slip at the lake 40 minutes away instead of sitting on the waiting list for mast-up storage the nicer, if smaller lake 1:40 away. I'll need to paint the bottom and address some issues I've been ignoring carefully monitoring while trailer sailing the boat:

Mainly the dead depth sounder, associated stain...

...and 1973's most economical plumbing. Upper hose go to the cockpit's only drains, and the lower hose goes to the urinal in the starboard bench.

Going to knock out the depth sounder and patch the hole, and I'm leaning towards replacing all the plumbing. I think I'll remove the glassed-in pipe nipple, patch the hole in the keel channel and then install a through hull, marelon ball valve and single tee to the cockpit drains aft of where the transponder was.

Thank global warming for the 65 degree weather so I can glass outside in February.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

A money hole is taking shape...

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Looks drat good. Pretty envious of those wiring ducts. On my boat much of the wiring is just squished between the inner and outer hull (same as your picuture 1 and 2) and glassed over. A lot of of it is completely inaccessible without cutting holes.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

monsterzero posted:

Dry storage?

Yep, we ramp launch on Lake Lanier; she's laid up there for their Chili Series this winter. We tear the rig down and make ready this weekend to bust rear end down to Sarasota for J24 midwinters in 2 weeks.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Humbug posted:

...and glassed over. A lot of of it is completely inaccessible without cutting holes.

*mild twitching*

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Neslepaks posted:

A money hole is taking shape...

Oh so that’s where boats come from. See I thought they were a produce of divorce.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

Oh so that’s where boats come from. See I thought they were a produce of divorce.

Sometimes the boat comes before the divorce.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Sometimes the boat causes the divorce!

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

No talk of divorce here yet but of course there's still time before delivery

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
What happens when it's the wife's idea to get the boat?

Asking for a friend.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Asking for a friend.

The boat generally has an extra cabin and a marine head. And is bigger.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Years ago I was taking a tour of a shipyard for 60m semi-custom super yachts. The engineer showing us around told a story of one of their customers bringing his wife round near the end of construction. She in turn brought her personal interior designer along. With just weeks to go before launch they decided that the originally intended interior just wouldn't do and it needed more space. So they had to cut the ship in half and add a section in between, tying up the spot for another year.

Boats, not even once.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The problem in that situation actually has nothing to do with the boat specifically.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Asking for a friend.

Buying a sailboat together was a condition of mine for getting engaged/married

This worked out well, we spent about 2 months searching for one and then pulled the trigger

Wife was new to boats so her list was pretty short

1. Looked cool
2. Didn't look like a grandma's house inside (her words)

We looked at a Catalina 36 and that's where the Grandmas house comment came from. She does not like Catalina style interiors, which basically removes anything built prior to 1995

We ended up with a J/105 (34')

1. Cool boat
2. Other than 5 interior trim pieces no wood on the interior
3. Flushing head with separate door
4. Running water in the "galley" and head

Now that we've had the boat a couple of years she has added for our next boat

1. Beneteau
2. Head amidships, using the head in the bow in 8' seas is a recipe for sea sickness
3. Full galley
4. If it's going to have wood trim below it's gotta be light/white oak
5. Asymmetrical spinnaker
6. Diesel heater
7. No older than 10 years old
8. At least two cabins with physical doors
9. Preferably 2 heads

Next boat is going to be a Beneteau 40 or hopefully Beneteau First 40, possibly a 45'. Beneteaus are cheap these days due to volume/economy of scale and efficient design.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 21, 2020

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

J/105 is a great boat for shorthanding and weekend cruising. I race on one in SF bay, it’s a super active and competitive fleet here.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah buying a boat with a strong local one design fleet was critical for me. I had been racing J/24 for almost a decade before we got the 105.

We've probably raced against you, I'll shoot you a PM

In retrospect we maybe should have gotten an Express 27, they are trailerable without a wide load permit and 30' slips are dime a dozen, but it has symmetrical spinnaker as class legal only

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I love the J24, its what I learned to sail on but goddamn is it a pain in the rear end to trailer and a bruise on my rear end to race.

Our team is going to put together a consortium to purchase a good M24 to start campaigning, hopefully next year. For now, we keep shooting for a worlds berth on the J. AFIK we still have the title of largest inland freshwater M24 fleet for beer can racing on Lanier so might as well add to that.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Crunchy Black posted:

I love the J24, its what I learned to sail on but goddamn is it a pain in the rear end to trailer and a bruise on my rear end to race.

The night before my very first J/24 regatta the boats first mate asked me if I knew what the J stood for;

"J-ah gonn-ah get bruised"

M24 always looked like a hot boat, never been on one

I got asked to do mast for J24 worlds back for the US east coast edition (2014?) they were campaigning an all Texan-born boat to represent Texas at worlds. Work would not let me off for the six days required :smithicide:

If you check out the J24 class Facebook page the cover photo is that boat at worlds with a ~20' tall Texas flag in place of the main sail

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Hadlock posted:

The night before my very first J/24 regatta the boats first mate asked me if I knew what the J stood for;

"J-ah gonn-ah get bruised"

M24 always looked like a hot boat, never been on one

I got asked to do mast for J24 worlds back for the US east coast edition (2014?) they were campaigning an all Texan-born boat to represent Texas at worlds. Work would not let me off for the six days required :smithicide:

If you check out the J24 class Facebook page the cover photo is that boat at worlds with a ~20' tall Texas flag in place of the main sail

Oh, Team Holmes-Moon! Yep, was very sad to hear about his passing. Really cool people that are *very* passionate about the class. I don't facebook anymore but I hear that Sonja(sp?) is continuing to campaign the boat. I just checked the scratch sheet and it doesn't look like they're making the trip down this year for Midwinters, though.

Speaking of which, this is going to be worlds-class racing: Velocidad, Exit Strategy, Ice Cube, Sabotage, Nautalytics, Bangor Packet, and Sea Bags all on the line at Melbourne YC.

I was reminded why I mast, now, and don't foredeck anymore when our bowgirl went over at NOODs last weekend after a bad douse+gybe+vertical pole maneuver. She held onto the lifeline AND the pole though and had me stow it before I pulled her back onboard; still salvaged a 3rd out of that race.

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 21, 2020

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Crunchy Black posted:

I was reminded why I mast, now, and don't foredeck anymore when our bowgirl went over at NOODs last weekend after a bad douse+gybe+vertical pole maneuver. She held onto the lifeline AND the pole though and had me stow it before I pulled her back onboard; still salvaged a 3rd out of that race.

:stare: flippin' trooper there!

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Dry February paid off for me. I just finished the third coat of bottom paint on my boat, and just need to get the areas under the cribbing now. I tell you what though, despite being only 22' I would rather have sanded/painted a 30'er standing on it's keel and stands. Working around the trailer freaking suuuucked.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

LOL ya I throw some shorty jack stands under the Whaler to lift it off the trailer when I paint it.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

meltie posted:

:stare: flippin' trooper there!

Absolutely; she rules.

Update on Holmes-Moon, they showed up, but the boat got donated to the class and is now loaned out to juniors in year long stints. They let us use their gin pole. Really cool folks.

We got our asses absolutely handed to us at midwinters. It was shifty like a lake but the puffs were 20kts.

Also I pulled the main cleat out of the deck. Guess we're doing some cutting this summer....

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

re: regatta

We had a ~20 mile double-handed regatta... was expecting 17-20, gusting to 22

The opening start gun had some wind, 6-10 knots, then died, we managed to avoid a big hole that left a bunch of boats floating in a parking lot... set the 89^2m (990 sq ft) spinnaker, wind picked up to 15, then 18 knots.... got to the next mark, tried to douse the spinnaker, went shrimping... ALL of the spinnaker went into the water... somehow managed to not wrap the spinnaker or lines around the keel/rudder...

...Wind picked up to 25-28 knots, was doing a bunch of short tacks along the waterfront to avoid the ~2.5 knot incoming tide, had to crash tack back because we were out of phase with some of the other boats coming up the course with us.... shredded the leech line of our jib, also found out that the spin halyard was wrapped around the top batten of the main for about 10 minutes

One club measured gusts of 35 knots. Pretty gnarly day. Rode boat hard, put away wet.

Spinnaker was toast so we sailed downwind to the next mark under white sails and got stuck in a parking lot in the lee the island. Wind filled in about 30 minutes later and everyone sort of finished at the same time due to the parking lot pile up.

Got a pretty good photo of the boat under spinnaker though:

Sailmaker is going to be very pleased about the bill to fix spinnaker + jib :homebrew:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Welp about 30% of all regattas this spring have been cancelled in my area

J/22 Nationals got cancelled earlier today

2020 is cancelled, everybody

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Maybe I'll have enough time to work on my boat then.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

:siren: we have engine :siren:

The way things are going though, lord knows if they'll be able to finish it or ship it on time.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Cute little thing, how adorable.
:biglips:

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yep, Easter, Orange peel and every other regatta I'm signed up for in the next 6 months that isn't a local ATL thing is called. The only one remaining is Charleston Race Week and it's so big I can't imagine the city is going to allow 2500 people to get hosed up in extremely close proximity and exhaust themselves for 6 days.

RIP 2020

Edit:
Here's shots from Midwinters even though we got our asses kicked up and down

They conscripted me for foredeck lol

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 14, 2020

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Crunchy Black posted:

They conscripted me for foredeck lol

Pffft easiest spot on the boat if you've got any balance to speak of.

(I usually mid deck, though we race shorthanded a lot so I wind up mid deck and foredeck while my fiance helms. I can keep the chute flying through the gybe while pole dancing, which I've done in 20+ knots... I'm just giving you poo poo. I don't wear shoes though, helps with my balance)

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Stay safe out there nerds
https://www.facebook.com/tanner.jones.10441/videos/10163833847175713/UzpfSTIzMjc1Nzk1MDc0ODQyNDo1MDg0NjI1MzMxNzc5NjM/

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Holy poo poo.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

TrueChaos posted:

Holy poo poo.

Seriously, looked like a direct hit on at least one person that got launched off the starboard boat?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

TrueChaos posted:

Pffft easiest spot on the boat if you've got any balance to speak of.

(I usually mid deck, though we race shorthanded a lot so I wind up mid deck and foredeck while my fiance helms. I can keep the chute flying through the gybe while pole dancing, which I've done in 20+ knots... I'm just giving you poo poo. I don't wear shoes though, helps with my balance)

Yeah, I have a perforated ear drum so I don't get on a boat without Zhik ZKGs or seaboots on. My balance is incredibly poor.

Keeping the chute flying through a gybe is 25% driver 65% trimmer, 10% foredeck.

Nice of their competitors to have fairly clear evidence of a port-starboard incident for the jury room. I do believe redress will be awarded lol

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Crunchy Black posted:

Yeah, I have a perforated ear drum so I don't get on a boat without Zhik ZKGs or seaboots on. My balance is incredibly poor.

Keeping the chute flying through a gybe is 25% driver 65% trimmer, 10% foredeck.

With two of us I'm trimming while foredecking at the same time. It's about as much fun as it sounds, I've wished for 4 hands more than a few times.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
If you're doublehanding the driver needs to be handling the sheet and guy while you're forward.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Driver handles the main - with the way we're rigged (ratchet blocks are a beautiful thing) it's doable. Plus sharks are small enough that worst case I can use the pole (unattached from the mast) to manipulate the guy side and just reach over and grab the sheet around where the tweakers attach and keep it flying. Frequently we'll cleat what will become the guy, and I'll manage the pole + what will become the sheet while forward. Once the main is over, the driver will assist on the guy if needed, but we're usually quick enough that it's not necessary. Shark spin poles are only 7'4", and don't weigh much, plus the beam is a little over 2' less than on a J24. Coupled with being 6' with lanky long arms, it makes things easier.

Could we do it with the driver running the sheet & guy? Sure, but that's too slow. Procedure there requires flipping the main and then gybing the chute, our way we get them both done at once and don't depower at all.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Oh, jesus. Yeah, our J# is 9.5'; plus, you really want that kite held down before the main goes over.
Still not sure how on a tiller boat its faster to not have the driver do it but I've also never driven one.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Well, I accomplished my goal of prepping my boat to launch for the season in before my April trip to Japan. Too bad 2020 is the year of the skunk.

If anyone's got any time-intensive boat project ideas that require only common household materials I'd appreciate the inspiration. I might crochet some sheet bags, or try to build a Bimini out of a collapsible stroller and an old tent if things don't start turning around by early June.

If you're still out on the water, please post that too so I can live vicariously build my ignore list for the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm thinking about making winch coozies, plus a main sheet cover

Went to maintain/oil our winches, there's a piece of metal that needs to come out to pull the outer barrel off the winch body. Well that has basically permanently welded itself to the winch.

Which reminds me, I need to order some penetrating oil to get that apart