Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Helith posted:

So, I'm all the way over in Australia but my parents who are in the 80s and my sister and her family are all in England (parents in the north west, sister in the south west), and I'm freaking out about Boris' herd immunity plan. Like I'm genuinely worried for my parents because there is no way I can help them other than urging them to stay at home and not let anyone in. My mum has asthma too and has had so many health issues over the years.
They won't have stocked up either because my dad thought it was all overblown, so my sister is helping with online shopping for them.

I honestly feel so helpless from being so far away and not being able to travel back home now :smith:

Sorry to drop this on you thread.

Feel you mate. I'm also in Aus but my Mum, brother, sister and Gran are home in the UK as well as my partners family including her pregnant sister. My bro is a doctor in the north west of the UK and it's all pretty full on for him even now. We're just focussing on blunt conversations with the family about pragmatic precautionary steps to take, making sure they appreciate the seriousness of the situation and having lots of webcam time.

I was looking forward to some relaxation time after the fires but nope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All you can ever do is advise, people make their own decisions, unfortunately.

If it's any consolation I don't think this inaction plan is going to last very long, people are going to start panicking and demanding action.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Tomberforce posted:

Feel you mate. I'm also in Aus but my Mum, brother, sister and Gran are home in the UK as well as my partners family including her pregnant sister. My bro is a doctor in the north west of the UK and it's all pretty full on for him even now. We're just focussing on blunt conversations with the family about pragmatic precautionary steps to take, making sure they appreciate the seriousness of the situation and having lots of webcam time.

I was looking forward to some relaxation time after the fires but nope!

Thanks mate, I remember you from the bushfire thread, you're down in Vic and a volunteer firie in the CFA right? No wonder you're feeling the strain.
It's crazy times and we won't be the only ones with elderly relatives back in the Uk either.
Reading that Boris is getting a lot of pushback over his plan and that they are going to ban large gatherings next weekend is slightly helping. They should be banning large gathering right now, but every country is moving too slow on this now. I'm in north shore Sydney, the epicentre of the Aussie outbreak and we're running out of testing kits, so it's not like it's much better here tbh.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
My wife went to a meeting yesterday to discuss event cancellation due to coronavirus. She maintained impeccable social distance and then every other idiot at the meeting went right in and hugged her. This morning she has a tickly cough, so joke's on them I guess. :(

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Helith posted:

Thanks mate, I remember you from the bushfire thread, you're down in Vic and a volunteer firie in the CFA right? No wonder you're feeling the strain.
It's crazy times and we won't be the only ones with elderly relatives back in the Uk either.
Reading that Boris is getting a lot of pushback over his plan and that they are going to ban large gatherings next weekend is slightly helping. They should be banning large gathering right now, but every country is moving too slow on this now. I'm in north shore Sydney, the epicentre of the Aussie outbreak and we're running out of testing kits, so it's not like it's much better here tbh.

Yeah mate, fortunately the fire season never really came for our area so we didn't get hit anywhere near as bad as over east! We're getting lots of protocols coming through from CFA to try and maintain operational readiness through this pandemic thing though. It scares me more than fires - at least you can generally see fire coming. This is like living in the Thing!

Hoping that being a bit more rural we will be able to social distance a bit more effectively than the cities - hopefully same for my family in Yorkshire.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

With the advice to self-isolate if you get a "continuous cough" does that mean like chain coughing or does it mean an occasional cough that lasts for a few days?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When you cough and the noise lasts for like three hours, presumably.

khhUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU---

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Maugrim posted:

My wife went to a meeting yesterday to discuss event cancellation due to coronavirus. She maintained impeccable social distance and then every other idiot at the meeting went right in and hugged her. This morning she has a tickly cough, so joke's on them I guess. :(

This is not an example of maintaining impeccable social distance

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

OwlFancier posted:

When you cough and the noise lasts for like three hours, presumably.

khhUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU---

I open my eight mouths, and cough the cough that ends the world.

Personally I’m really enjoying the vague, unfamiliar and non-medical terminology to go with the late, poo poo advice.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Everyone in Havant except me is buying bog roll

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mebh posted:

Polish guy with no hands in asda said he has 100 percent proof of life after death and not to worry about corona. He'll tell me more if I want when I see him next.

https://twitter.com/Scarfolk/status/1238383247396085761

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Weird thing around here is that all the big shops have empty bogroll shelves but all the little ones have tons. I'm assuming there's going to be some fascinating psychological papers about this at some point.

Melissa McCarthyism
Jan 18, 2007

Qwertycoatl posted:

With the advice to self-isolate if you get a "continuous cough" does that mean like chain coughing or does it mean an occasional cough that lasts for a few days?

And also on this note, the guidance says a dry cough, but is it deep like bronchitis? Just woke up to a deep cough that expels all air in my lungs lol

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
The Division was giving good advice years ago.

Polish guy can ignore the second one.

Wayfaring Stranger
Feb 16, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Weird thing around here is that all the big shops have empty bogroll shelves but all the little ones have tons. I'm assuming there's going to be some fascinating psychological papers about this at some point.

Yeah I just popped in to a little corner shop and they had plenty, with a limit of 2 per customer per visit. Aldi was barren for loo roll but had plenty of tomato tins and some pasta. I've avoided the 24 hour massive Tesco though.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i've been reading stuff saying you might be able to recatch coronavirsuses and that's not unusual, and there's not enough evidence yet to fully say you can't be reinfected with covid-19.

If that's true.... does that make our governments approach utterly catastrophic and suicidal?

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat

hemale in pain posted:

i've been reading stuff saying you might be able to recatch coronavirsuses and that's not unusual, and there's not enough evidence yet to fully say you can't be reinfected with covid-19.

If that's true.... does that make our governments approach utterly catastrophic and suicidal?

I suppose if the government can wipe out a chunk of the population now it does mean when we no deal Brexit there are fewer mouths to feed, silver lining and all that.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Just lol if you post here and still wipe your hole. Seaside Loafer loafed to show us the way

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Mebh posted:

I made really good cheeseburgers tonight. And I was happy. loving hell we're all gonna die.

What was so good about it? Pls note I hate anything with vinegar in it so you’re on thin ice

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

All you can ever do is advise, people make their own decisions, unfortunately.

If it's any consolation I don't think this inaction plan is going to last very long, people are going to start panicking and demanding action.
I think this was the Art of Cum strategy. Do nothing. Announce how you're a proud big boy who did a big poo and is going to do nothing. People panic and demand action. They you can roll your insane fascist garbage into action.

Ironically the least worst plan to defeat this would have been to clap and cheer that Boris is a big sensible pragmatist who is doing nothing unlike the Italians and Chinese who are big drama babbies, well done Boris. But we hosed that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure that's the case so much as, again, boris doesn't plan ahead properly and just reacts.

Specifically because people aren't going to want insane fascist poo poo they just want it to not affect them, so the only real good answer is stuff like bill waivers, sick pay, and mandatory holidays, paying for the outbreak out of the public pocket.

As the government isn't going to do that it's going to just flail around not able to stick to a course of action and everyone's gonna get pissed.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 14, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Scarfolk/status/1238748223206035456

I feel like Richard Littler has been waiting for this moment.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Herd immunity: will the UK's coronavirus strategy work? posted:

Ministers look to have given up on containment in favour of a novel approach some experts are wary of

Herd immunity is a phrase normally used when large numbers of children have been vaccinated against a disease like measles, reducing the chances that others will get it. As a tactic in fighting a pandemic for which there is no vaccine, it is novel – and some say alarming.

It relies on people getting the disease – in this case Covid-19 – and becoming immune as a result. Generally it is thought that those who recover will be immune, at least for now, so they won’t get it twice.

But allowing the population to build up immunity in this way – rather than through widespread testing, tracking down the contacts of every case and isolating them, as many other countries in Asia and Europe have chosen to do – could increase the risk to the most vulnerable: older people with underlying health problems.

To reach herd immunity, about 60% of the population would need to get ill and become immune, according to Sir Patrick Vallance, the government’s chief scientific adviser. Though it could need as much as 70% or more. Even scientists who understand the strategy are anxious. “I do worry that making plans that assume such a large proportion of the population will become infected (and hopefully recovered and immune) may not be the very best that we can do,” said Martin Hibberd, professor of emerging infectious disease at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine.

“Another strategy might be to try to contain [it] longer and perhaps long enough for a therapy to emerge that might allow some kind of treatment. This seems to be the strategy of countries such as Singapore. While this containment approach is clearly difficult (and may be impossible for many countries), it does seem a worthy goal; and those countries that can should aim to do.”

The government’s “nudge unit” seems to favour this strategy. Dr David Halpern, a psychologist who heads the Behavioural Insights Team, said on BBC News: “There’s going to be a point, assuming the epidemic flows and grows, as we think it probably will do, where you’ll want to cocoon, you’ll want to protect those at-risk groups so that they basically don’t catch the disease and by the time they come out of their cocooning, herd immunity’s been achieved in the rest of the population.”

But Anthony Costello, a paediatrician and former World Health Organization director, said that the UK government was out of kilter with other countries in looking to herd immunity as the answer. It could conflict with WHO policy, he said in a series of Twitter posts, which is to contain the virus by tracking and tracing all cases. He quoted Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the WHO director general, who said: “The idea that countries should shift from containment to mitigation is wrong and dangerous.”

Herd immunity might not even last, Costello said. “Does coronavirus cause strong herd immunity or is it like flu where new strains emerge each year needing repeat vaccines? We have much to learn about Co-V immune responses.” Vaccines, he said, were a much safer way of bringing it about.

but it's eviiiiiiiidence baaaaased you fools

love to be enrolled in an enormous and dangerous medical experiment without giving my informed consent

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure that's the case so much as, again, boris doesn't plan ahead properly and just reacts.

Specifically because people aren't going to want insane fascist poo poo they just want it to not affect them, so the only real good answer is stuff like bill waivers, sick pay, and mandatory holidays, paying for the outbreak out of the public pocket.

As the government isn't going to do that it's going to just flail around not able to stick to a course of action and everyone's gonna get pissed.
I dunno, I've seen quite a few people calling for insane fascist poo poo (that they think won't affect them) in public and on social media. A period of seeming inaction called out by the right wing press gets the government permission to do awful poo poo that won't be.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/iandonald_psych/status/1238518371651649538?s=21

A behavioural scientist explains and justifies the government strategy. Seems to rely on some big assumptions that haven't been demonstrated all that well by China's studies, like how well immunity develops and how infectious low-risk people are.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why are we asking behavioural scientists about epidemiology?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

uk is taking the pickup artist dating approach to combat a viral disease.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Is it just me, or is the Government and the BBC starting to get a bit coy about releasing infection figures? They've started slipping them in about half way through other virus-related articles rather than reporting them directly, and the big Pandemic-style maps seem to be hidden away in a corner. Haven't they been releasing new figures at 9am every morning? They're still reporting yesterday's total of 798.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Very fond of all these mush brained people explaining why it makes total sense to spread the infection as much as possible because somehow that won't result in the numbers of deaths seen literally everywhere else that has happened.

Like yes, trying to reduce infections will result in long term economic disruption, but the alternative is you start piling corpses up in the street, there is no way you can make everyone sick and not just kill mountains of people.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

hemale in pain posted:

We're not sure yet which is one reason the govs 'strategy' is so maddening, there just isn't certainty abot this or a lot of factors and some of them if we guess wrong are disastrous. There have been no confirmations of reinfection and right now I don't think it's particularly likely. There are cases where people test negative to covid-19 after recovering then positive later but there have been studies from China which have shown (low levels of) viral shedding up to 24 days after people have externally recovered so I suspect that is the reason for these possible reinfections.

Circulating (non covid-19) coronaviruses are seasonal and you can recatch them in the sense they mutate to a different version.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Very fond of all these mush brained people explaining why it makes total sense to spread the infection as much as possible because somehow that won't result in the numbers of deaths seen literally everywhere else that has happened.

Like yes, trying to reduce infections will result in long term economic disruption, but the alternative is you start piling corpses up in the street, there is no way you can make everyone sick and not just kill mountains of people.

British Constitution stat is just better than dirty foreigners from far flung places like spain and italy okay?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
British Constitution stat can be whatever they say it is because it's unwritten.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Soylent Yellow posted:

Is it just me, or is the Government and the BBC starting to get a bit coy about releasing infection figures? They've started slipping them in about half way through other virus-related articles rather than reporting them directly, and the big Pandemic-style maps seem to be hidden away in a corner. Haven't they been releasing new figures at 9am every morning? They're still reporting yesterday's total of 798.

At this stage there isn't really much point. They're not testing enough to show the true number of cases anyway. The only important statistic from now on is how many people are dead from it.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

hemale in pain posted:

uk is taking the pickup artist dating approach to combat a viral disease.
neg my poz hole

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Amazing to realise that if the herd immunity is progressing too slow to work by winter, the government will have to take measures to increase Coronavirus among the population

Bringing the boer war concentration camps back full circle

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/iandonald_psych/status/1238518371651649538?s=21

A behavioural scientist explains and justifies the government strategy. Seems to rely on some big assumptions that haven't been demonstrated all that well by China's studies, like how well immunity develops and how infectious low-risk people are.

not sure I would characterise "let it slow burn through the entire population and hope that it all works out in the end" as particularly more 'refined" than "extensive testing, social distancing and contact tracing" but I'm not an infectious diseases expert evopsych man so who am I to judge

also I'm p sure risky and based on assumptions are not great things for any serious undertaking, let alone the one where the best case scenario we're actually loving aiming for involves 60% of 66 million people getting a disease with a 1% mortality rate, so 400,000 dead people

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Get Covid Done. The British people are tired of dither and delay. They yearn to leap forth and feel the rushing air of freedom. That their pneumonic lungs may struggle to derive oxygen from said air is Project Fear, and even if it isn’t it’s about time they had some hardship, let me tell you about The Bins

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My favourite bit is that the entire thing hinges on:

https://twitter.com/iandonald_psych/status/1238560476663070720

Being the only thing that separates this from megadeath speedrunning.

Which is to say you should sell this guy a bridge ASAP.

Also:

https://twitter.com/nickkeca/status/1238607560846049281

Might it not be safer to just start shooting psychologists on sight if they're all apparently absolute psychopaths?

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Is this government's plan to let us literally die out until we somehow adapt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ash Crimson posted:

Is this government's plan to let us literally die out until we somehow adapt?

What else would you expect from the eugenics brain fund?