Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Love too join a religious order and take a vow of celibacy as soon as I have a child that doesn’t suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, is there any way to reliably 'reset' your initiation progress for satanic/demonic societies? Since I tried joining 'the cold ones' (slavic) and got to the point where I have carved their sign into my arm. So I did that...but then nothing happened. I waited a few years or so, then stopped expressing interest in the order. Waited around a year (need to wait a few months before you can try again, from memory) and tried again, but nothing is happening at all, now. :(

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Try joining a different society? Or if you're not on iron man you could look up the relevant event and fire it manually.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
What I don't like about the latest DevDiary is that all the terms are... boring. Like feudal contract is low or high?.. Crown Authority is 1, 2, 3 and 4?.. Meh.

I also wonder which Christian states are clan. Maybe some Orthodox are?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, me too. This was my least favorite dev diary so far

Also if crown authority is returning, we no longer will have control over all those specific laws we have on CK2? If that's the case, is a step back

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Major Isoor posted:

So, is there any way to reliably 'reset' your initiation progress for satanic/demonic societies? Since I tried joining 'the cold ones' (slavic) and got to the point where I have carved their sign into my arm. So I did that...but then nothing happened. I waited a few years or so, then stopped expressing interest in the order. Waited around a year (need to wait a few months before you can try again, from memory) and tried again, but nothing is happening at all, now. :(

Are there definitely still people in the society?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Elias_Maluco posted:

I just never felt pressed to keep fighting then. They are annoying, for sure, but it wont take that much gold so let them have their fun. Raising levies to go after them every time makes it 300% more annoying
i'm talking about literally raising personal levies from a specific county to smash a raid that is currently on top of the county. the original question talked about Constantinople, the bloody capitol.

like sure i can jive with not caring about some vassal getting raided but when you're talking about being too tired to ctrl click a single county to have the local levies fight it out for 3 days that is definitely some next-level loving ennui.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Coolguye posted:

i'm talking about literally raising personal levies from a specific county to smash a raid that is currently on top of the county. the original question talked about Constantinople, the bloody capitol.

like sure i can jive with not caring about some vassal getting raided but when you're talking about being too tired to ctrl click a single county to have the local levies fight it out for 3 days that is definitely some next-level loving ennui.

Yeah, I get tired of doing that, when I have lots of coastal provinces and they keep on coming like every 5 months

Is much less annoying to ignore them then to raise levies, disband levies, every loving time. I get annoyed enough putting down rebelions, but these unfortunately I cant always ignore

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, I get tired of doing that, when I have lots of coastal provinces and they keep on coming like every 5 months

Is much less annoying to ignore them then to raise levies, disband levies, every loving time. I get annoyed enough putting down rebelions, but these unfortunately I cant always ignore

Yeah... but if that kind of micromanagement annoys you then I think you shouldn't play large empires like Byzantium. Perhaps playing as the Chief of Kola might be more to your liking?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Griffen posted:

Yeah... but if that kind of micromanagement annoys you then I think you shouldn't play large empires like Byzantium. Perhaps playing as the Chief of Kola might be more to your liking?

Or I can just ignore raiders like I said I do? Im not saying it is a problem for me, Im saying its not: I just ignore

I only once played Byz, anyway. I like to start small (and vassal) and build my way up. And when I get big and rich enough to be getting raided a lot, is usually when Im rich enough to let them raid as they please

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, me too. This was my least favorite dev diary so far

Also if crown authority is returning, we no longer will have control over all those specific laws we have on CK2? If that's the case, is a step back

It sounds like you'll just get the ability to toggle those abilities at different levels of authority. You can barely do anything if you're just the chief of a decentralized tribal nation, and you need a lot of authority if you're going to restrict your vassals from fighting eachother. You get more direct control over inheritance law. I don't think there's any real loss here.

I don't see gender rights anywhere along there, so maybe they'll be under mechanic. They've already implied that there'll be other mechanics for altering your religion that presumably include investiture.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Griffen posted:

Even relatively small countries can get loving inundated with raids. My Suomi covered Finland, Novgorod and the baltic states and I was being raided and losing sieges ALL THE TIME.
It sucks, gently caress raiding.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Taear posted:

Even relatively small countries can get loving inundated with raids. My Suomi covered Finland, Novgorod and the baltic states and I was being raided and losing sieges ALL THE TIME.
It sucks, gently caress raiding.

finland is at ground zero for raiding cultures so

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Taear posted:

Are there definitely still people in the society?

Oh, that might be it, since us pagans have gone down in numbers, lately. Is there any way I can actually check that? Since I thought it hides the numbers/faces, unless you're actually in the society

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Coolguye posted:

In situations like this, control-click the 'raise liege levies' button on the county. Your personal levies organize at max morale so force-raising your levies of a jillion dudes will smash these mosquito bites and keep them from sucking your blood for a few years. After the raid is crushed you can just dismiss the levies again.

yes thanks that's why i said i do that in my post

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

DrPop posted:

yes thanks that's why i said i do that in my post

you said you had to put a retinue there, which is not true for personally held counties - the levies there spawn at max morale, it is only vassal levies that start at poor morale.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

One trick that I've discovered for dealing with raiders is when they try to flee back to their ships, raise levies in the county they were just raiding. The raiders are held in place for your actual relief force to come and defeat them.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

a fatguy baldspot posted:

finland is at ground zero for raiding cultures so

When in your game everyone is Germanic everywhere is ground zero.
The game definitely needs to have a separate raiding popup that's not just a siege one.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Taear posted:

When in your game everyone is Germanic everywhere is ground zero.
The game definitely needs to have a separate raiding popup that's not just a siege one.

well i think i’ve found your problem then, why would you play anything but historical starts

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

well i think i’ve found your problem then, why would you play anything but historical starts

to try out el cid, of course

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
Ignoring raiders burning down your empire because you are too busy organising feasts might the most Emporer thing you can do.

Good roleplay, everyone!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Theswarms posted:

Ignoring raiders burning down your empire because you are too busy organising feasts might the most Emporer thing you can do.

Good roleplay, everyone!

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

to try out el cid, of course

el cid exists in historical starts tho?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

el cid exists in historical starts tho?

As a courtier, I think, not the independent count of Valencia

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

As a courtier, I think, not the independent count of Valencia

pretty darn sure you can play him in 1094 as the count of valencia.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Lesbian is probably one of the most desirable traits in the whole game. Sick to death of random barons attempting to seduce my wife.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Thrasophius posted:

Lesbian is probably one of the most desirable traits in the whole game. Sick to death of random barons attempting to seduce my wife.

Turn off AI Seduction at the start.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Kinda weird that the tooltip for Merchant Republic government says they cannot grant kingdom tier titles to anyone of another government group (presumably to non-republics), yet I can freely grant them to feudal vassals. Tried it with a theocracy and it doesn't allow that, though.

The only feudal vassals I have are dynasts, so they tend to like me enough to nullify the Wrong Government penalty. It's also nice to have another source of dynasty prestige by handing those titles out.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It was a historical start - I only ever play the earliest one available. poo poo got weird.

I'm glad in CK3 raiding sieges will have a different popup but i still don't get why they don't in CK2.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'm trying to mend the great schism and I've got 4 out of 5 bishoprics restored. Which leaves me with... Rome.

I can CB them to turn them into a tributary state, would suzerainity count as the "complete control" I need? And would it give me enough standing to get an orthodox bishop in there somehow? The only other plan I can see is to just forge a claim on Rome.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

You're a christian so whoever holds Italy should be willing to marry you somewhere on their family tree and from there you're a few murders away from pressing a weak claim. Well assuming the latium kingdom is no more, which usually happens. From there Rome is dejure so you can bully the pope from there.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Honestly, forging a claim on Rome is the most hassle-free way to do it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Funky Valentine posted:

Honestly, forging a claim on Rome is the most hassle-free way to do it.

This. Before Holy Fury, I would start a game as a Byzantine Emperor and immediately set my chaplain to forge a claim on it. Even if it took 10 or 20 years, at least you had getting Rome out of your mind relatively quickly, and could concentrate on smashing Abbasids. With the new mechanics in Holy Fury, it's better to wait until you have the other four seats before conquering Rome, lest an angry pope takes measures against you. You can also use the Jade Dragon CB, county conquest.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Probably also a good idea to disable the Fourth Crusade mechanics, unless you're confident in your ability to siege down the Papacy before you get steamrolled.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
honestly one of the things that puts me off CK2 these days it that giant game rules / setup screen and not really knowing what a lot of them do but also knowing they could have a massive impact on the game

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

fuf posted:

honestly one of the things that puts me off CK2 these days it that giant game rules / setup screen and not really knowing what a lot of them do but also knowing they could have a massive impact on the game

Just leave it at the defaults.

90% of them are "allow me to do insanely cheesy poo poo", or "don't allow me to do moderately cheesy poo poo that's allowed by default, because I can't help myself".

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Also turn off Aztec invasion cause I bought it for some reason.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

ilitarist posted:

Also turn off Aztec invasion cause I bought it for some reason.

No.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I always justify Aztec Invasion as whatever mysterious power that made one ruler’s dynasty omnipotent had a butterfly effect on the Aztecs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

fuf posted:

Well, but if you play with it a bit, you might get lucky and get Aztecs, Black Death, Mongols and several other hordes all at once. Interesting times.