Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm astonished how many of these house just do not have blinds or curtains of any sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Oooh an Earthstove. Those are really good. And very 70s.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'm astonished how many of these house just do not have blinds or curtains of any sort.

And flyscreens. I'm horrified at the overall lack of flyscreens in American houses. I couldn't fathom living in a home that doesn't have screens on every door and window.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

The Lord Bude posted:

And flyscreens. I'm horrified at the overall lack of flyscreens in American houses. I couldn't fathom living in a home that doesn't have screens on every door and window.

Curious what part of USA doesn't have window screens? I know some tropical non USA spots like Jamaica does that and it seems odd to me.

I, like many, live in an area with tons of mosquitos in summer, that + a light on at night would equal thousands of bugs in the house daily.

Re: window decorations, a lot of people take curtains and blinds down when selling if they want to keep them. If you leave them up it's implied they go with the house.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The Lord Bude posted:

This is the complete opposite of everything I've heard of American windows. Most Europeans complain about how every openable window has a screen in it.

I'm also seeing flyscreen on all sliders in Funky, except stuffed Marlin room.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 13, 2020

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I’m a sucker for tiny house on wheels tour videos. The lack of window coverings in those houses, and homes made out of vans and school buses, just boggles my mind. The only ones who cover all the windows are stealth camping types. Your house is 8 feet wide and you are surrounded by huge windows. People can see you ALL OF THE TIME. WHY are there no curtains?!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

falz posted:

Curious what part of USA doesn't have window screens? I know some tropical non USA spots like Jamaica does that and it seems odd to me.

Like every lovely landlord north of Maryland takes them off the windows on any house they buy if they were even there to begin with.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I remember looking at this house in 2012, I passed on it due to the taxes. Looks like a flipper got hold of it and hooo boy did it end up tackily trendy.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/28-Woodbine-Ter_Sparta_NJ_07871_M59448-25335?view=qv

I, for one, enjoy a children's bedroom that boldly asserts which one is NOT the favorite. It's not quite a Potter closet, but unless that back kid has dwarfism sooner or later he's gonna have a bad time.

On the other hand the kid with the big bed and relatively high ceilings still has a freaking beam right at head height when he gets out of bed, so maybe these folks just hate tall people?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

This is not an "american house" thing. There are parts of america, which is a very big place, that don't have significant amounts of bugs that will get in your house at a time of year when you want to have the windows open. There are parts of america that will have drat near bird-sized bugs that will get into your house when you want to have the windows open. Not counting lovely rentals, window screen are common to those areas accordingly.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

In these four, I think 'funky' is describing the smell.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

Just want to pile on with the "this is not true" take.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I'm just going by what I see in the pictures that get posted here. Most of them feature windows and doors without flyscreens, and it makes my skin crawl. I'm sure there are plenty of places that do have them; but I always considered them a universal constant, so to see so many places without them is confronting.

It's one of the interesting things about this thread - there are so many subtle and not so subtle differences in design trends with houses in the US, and other places that have been shown off here compared to here in Australia that I'd never considered before.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 13, 2020

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Flyscreens are not needed in the UK. The one thing this lovely little isle has as a bonus.
(WhY would you live where there is bugs? Ewwwww)

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Would you really want the window dressings from the funk house? Picked out by the people who picked that wallpaper and carpet??

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm just going by what I see in the pictures that get posted here. Most of them feature windows and doors without flyscreens, and it makes my skin crawl. I'm sure there are plenty of places that do have them; but I always considered them a universal constant, so to see so many places without them is confronting.

It's one of the interesting things about this thread - there are so many subtle and not so subtle differences in design trends with houses in the US, and other places that have been shown off here compared to here in Australia that I'd never considered before.

It’s a latitude thing. If you live in a place that has frosts for much of the year, has sane humidity and doesn’t get above 30C, insects just aren’t a big deal.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Sloth Life posted:

Flyscreens are not needed in the UK. The one thing this lovely little isle has as a bonus.
(WhY would you live where there is bugs? Ewwwww)

Up in the Pacific Northwest we have noseeums so fly screens don't always help :saddowns:

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

just another posted:

Up in the Pacific Northwest we have noseeums so fly screens don't always help :saddowns:

You live in Hell my friend and it ain't even warm

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I just had to look up noseeums and hahahahahahahaha gently caress that

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Brawnfire posted:

I just had to look up noseeums and hahahahahahahaha gently caress that

Yeeep, the midges are pretty much hell. Stay in the sunshine and hope for a breeze.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Motronic posted:

Nope. Most quality installation will have tape on (under) each seam, but with appropriate overlap that's not even necessary. Just like you don't need to caulk wood siding.

Our hardiboard equivalent is caulked on vertical seams and around windows.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

peanut posted:

Our hardiboard equivalent is caulked on vertical seams and around windows.

I get around windows, but in the field between boards? Yeesh. That's a lot of extra work and ongoing maintenance for something that is designed to be low maintenance.

Don't you do exterior vapor barriers there?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

https://www.kmew.co.jp/sotoreform/srkouhou/k2lazo_2.html

Our layering is different than this. The boards float on rails so there's a small air gap that flows up to the roof. Leaving those 1cm vertical gaps uncaulked could get nasty in a typhoon.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm just going by what I see in the pictures that get posted here. Most of them feature windows and doors without flyscreens, and it makes my skin crawl.
Just checking, but you noticed that many of the windows in pics on the last few pages don’t open, right?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "earthship"

I am in a love-hate relationearthship with this one, on the one hand it's a literal mud hut with trash mixed in but on the other hand

:bernin:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Earthships are a great concept for reuse of common waste materials. They're also hella expensive to build unless the site you selected just happens to be a used tire and soda can dump because it turns out both of those have other, more valuable uses than becoming part of your mud hut in the middle of nowhere Arizona where the county code inspector is actually the tooth fairy because no permitting agency in their right mind will let you build one.

E: Also, I've heard from hippie friends of mine that if you build them anywhere besides the desert they're uncomfortably damp all the time.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Roughly 700,000 € for a house of 33m2 and a 2360m2 yard. A drat nice yard though.

edit: weird, doesn't wanna show up properly on my computer....

edit2: Lets try this then, just one pic, the rest can be seen here:
https://imgur.com/a/CKdyQKM

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 14, 2020

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
pimp, geodesic, hitler, rave

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I fixed it, if you don't like it well that's too bad as that's my final solution.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

His Divine Shadow posted:

Roughly 700,000 € for a house of 33m2 and a 2360m2 yard. A drat nice yard though.

edit: weird, doesn't wanna show up properly on my computer....

edit2: Lets try this then, just one pic, the rest can be seen here:
https://imgur.com/a/CKdyQKM

A price premium for being on the well, fjord or whatever?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

it's cute, op

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Just checking, but you noticed that many of the windows in pics on the last few pages don’t open, right?

I hadn't actually; and that's kinda disturbing to me as well. but to be clear I only discovered this thread a couple of months ago and I spent a few weeks binging the entire thing from start to finish (the beatmasterj saga was rough)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Sloth Life posted:

A price premium for being on the well, fjord or whatever?

It's really near Stockholm

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

The Lord Bude posted:

I hadn't actually; and that's kinda disturbing to me as well. but to be clear I only discovered this thread a couple of months ago and I spent a few weeks binging the entire thing from start to finish (the beatmasterj saga was rough)

Screens are also usually incorporated into storm windows, so unless they're in use at the moment or you're really up close, you're not going to see them.

Do giant picture windows usually open where you're from? A good thing to remember is that most US housing stock is incredibly young, like post-war well past the invention of AC young. Putting in a big, single pane window just for light was a thing in the mid-century on because you didn't have to rely on opening windows and doors for cool air.

there wolf fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 14, 2020

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Most modern windows here don't open either (easily, only for cleaning), instead a window unit has smaller side door that is meant to be opened for ventilation and it has a built in window screen. When it gets really warm in summer though, the windows stays shut because it lets the heat. Open during the night instead to cool the house down as much as possible for the next day. One time we even slept with the front and rear doors open because it was monstrously hot even during the night (+25C), one night we slept outside in the trampoline.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

It's really near Stockholm
All the detractors have to do is stay there for a while, they'll come to love it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

it was monstrously hot even during the night (+25C)

lol.

I mean, I get it with where you're from but it's still funny.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

there wolf posted:

Screens are also usually incorporated into storm windows, so unless they're in use at the moment or you're really up close, you're not going to see them.

Do giant picture windows usually open where you're from? A good thing to remember is that most US housing stock is incredibly young, like post-war well past the invention of AC young. Putting in a big, single pane window just for light was a thing in the mid-century on because you didn't have to rely on opening windows and doors for cool air.

I'm not entirely sure what a picture window is, so I don't think we have those; or at least the concept of windows in a residential building that aren't designed to be opened to let air in is extremely foreign to me. I've also never heard of storm windows before.

it's almost unheard of for houses or even apartment buildings in Australia to have central heating or AC. Lots of people have reverse cycle air-conditioning, in the form of a unit mounted on the wall connected to a box on the outside wall; but even 20 years ago that would have been considered an extravagant luxury, and although it's pretty common now most people would have one or two rooms air conditioned at best. I did some quick googling and it looks like around 25% of households don't have aircon, and the percentage of people with aircon has doubled in the past 20 years.

We tend to treat aircon and heating as last resorts - I wouldn't normally switch on the AC unless it was over 30c and there was no breeze. Most people that I know of would wear multiple layers of sweaters before they turned on a heater.

One time we even slept with the front and rear doors open because it was monstrously hot even during the night (+25C), one night we slept outside in the trampoline.

25c is a pleasant winter midday where I live. In summer it's frequently pushing 30 even in the middle of the night. 25c is what we normally set the aircon to.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

All the detractors have to do is stay there for a while, they'll come to love it.

:golfclap:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

As a US person I have never seen a house that is not in a state of disrepair not have window screens. Midwest, New York, Atlanta, San Diego, Seatlle, all over I've never been somewhere that did not have them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I don’t have window screens but I live 15 floors up :smug: