Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

I always appreciate when games do unusual settings. Like Medievil's setting is fairly fun but a little basic, it's a medieval village, they're everywhere, but I like Medievil 2's setting more because not a lot of games do the 1800s london occult scene. All I can think of that do it are Nightmare Creatures, Bloodborne, and Medievil 2, Maybe the Jeckyll and Hyde nes game at a stretch and I think one Assassin's Creed game may play with it too. It's otherwise underutilised. I like that Medievil 2 references a bunch of things from the time period too, like the Dan Hand power may be a lovecraft thing like Herbert West, the villain is the same kind of guy as Alistair Crowley, and you also have Frankenstein in building the body and the classic Freak Show level.

Well, there's The Order 1886, which suffers from being The Order 1886, and more recently Vampyr, if we allow some leeway for the 1910's. There's also a whole bunch of Castlevania games in that setting, which makes sense because it's Dracula. Dishonored also fits the bill, and I guess you could make a case for American McGee's Alice games. Arcanum also kinda fits.

But my absolute favorite is the Fallen London setting, with Sunken Seas and Sunken Skies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
It's too bad Ubisoft was still in their "AC games are janky and boring as gently caress" phase when they made AC:Syndicate. It was a fun setting and I really liked the characters (well, except playing as Jacob. I just wanna smash poo poo as Evie and clean up after her dumbshit brother)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

But my absolute favorite is the Fallen London setting, with Sunken Seas and Sunken Skies.

What keeps me from playing Sunless Seas and it's spiritual successor Cultist Simulator is their emphasis on RNG and Wizard Needs Food Badly real-time grind. Also the director of both is a piece of poo poo.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What keeps me from playing Sunless Seas and it's spiritual successor Cultist Simulator is their emphasis on RNG and Wizard Needs Food Badly real-time grind. Also the director of both is a piece of poo poo.
It's always good to separate the art from the artist. I don't think he put too much of himself into Cultist Simulator, a game about using charisma and manipulation to groom your underlings into unethical situations, and abusing your power over them for your own pleasure

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I tried sunless seas but had to get a refund because it crashed when I tried to run it. :(

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

BioEnchanted posted:

I always appreciate when games do unusual settings. Like Medievil's setting is fairly fun but a little basic, it's a medieval village, they're everywhere, but I like Medievil 2's setting more because not a lot of games do the 1800s london occult scene. All I can think of that do it are Nightmare Creatures, Bloodborne, and Medievil 2, Maybe the Jeckyll and Hyde nes game at a stretch and I think one Assassin's Creed game may play with it too. It's otherwise underutilised. I like that Medievil 2 references a bunch of things from the time period too, like the Dan Hand power may be a lovecraft thing like Herbert West, the villain is the same kind of guy as Alistair Crowley, and you also have Frankenstein in building the body and the classic Freak Show level.

Len posted:

Nightmare Creatures is set during that theme as well. I remember enjoying it but it came out when I was 8 and my taste was slightly worse than it is now

To add onto this, Nightmare Creatures 2 also has a kind of London occult scene feel to it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's not subtle at all about it in but in Destiny 2's vanilla campaign the villain, the leader of an alien race called the Cabal, steals your magic powers (and the god humanity worships) and kicks you off his ship into the trash. Later on, after you inevitably get back to him to go murder him, he rotates between the three types of magic powers while declaring that he has "Become Legend" - the tagline from the first game, which he also stole.

If you listen to the track named after him in the soundtrack, the backhalf of it is the game's main theme but mixed with the Cabal's theme. He stole that too. :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Well, there's The Order 1886, which suffers from being The Order 1886, and more recently Vampyr, if we allow some leeway for the 1910's. There's also a whole bunch of Castlevania games in that setting, which makes sense because it's Dracula. Dishonored also fits the bill, and I guess you could make a case for American McGee's Alice games. Arcanum also kinda fits.

My favorite fact about The Order 1886 was that Guerrilla Games had its own original Victorian steampunk IP ready to pitch to Sony, but when that game beat them to it, they proposed their alternate, less-developed idea for what would become Horizon Zero Dawn. So if you like that game you have The Order 1886 to thank somewhat.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The Order 1886 had really sweet smoke and lighting effects and what looked like a decent story.
That's a PYF little things about it.

Shame that it's only a third of a game so all that never resolves!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I completed a templar hunt in AssCreed: Syndicate completely on accident. I was just jumping from boat to boat on the Thames when I stumbled into his area and jumped onwards when I got a message saying he was dead and the bonus objective of tossing him into the river was also met. I can only assume that while I was running away he stumbled and fell into the river.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

I completed a templar hunt in AssCreed: Syndicate completely on accident. I was just jumping from boat to boat on the Thames when I stumbled into his area and jumped onwards when I got a message saying he was dead and the bonus objective of tossing him into the river was also met. I can only assume that while I was running away he stumbled and fell into the river.

Going off on a tangent a bit, but reminds me of a boss fight in Warship Gunner 2. The boss was beating the crap out of me, so I ran away to heal up, and while I was returning to the fight the boss sank. Turns out I set them on fight with one of my shots and they never managed to put the fire out.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Just finished Medievil 1,i guess it was too difficult for me as a kid but i really enjoyed it,good voice acting,good characters,weird levels.
Dan might be my favourite little weird videogame character,he’s such a prat but ends up proving all the doubters wrong in the end.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like how Lord Blackthorne in Medievil 2 has no history with Dan so instead of angry about him meddling he's more interested and mildly annoyed at first. Just "Everything should go fine as long as that weird little skeleton monster doesn't interfere..."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Bayonetta 2. All of it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Was there even anything little in Bayonetta 2?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

My bonus score from my poor playing

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Wurm Online has a thirst, food, nutrition, sleep, and 4 micronutrient bars, but the last three are explicitly only bonuses and dont penalize you for running out. Even thirst and hunger won't kill you, they just make your stamina regain extremely slowly.

It's great because you're rewarded for keeping up the optional bars (nutrition slows the food bar's dropping and helps healing, sleep slowly gains while you're offline in a bed and you can use it to get double skill gain, the micronutrients each have their own bonus effects that I dont really remember), but if you're in a survival situation, you can live off raw pumpkins and sea water forever. Its just really nice to have a survival system that isnt just a "stop having fun and fill your bar" system. If you DO end up starving and you have fat reserves from staying well fed before, you'll Fast which refills your food bar but kills your nutrient level.

As an added bonus, the game has poutine, which is a middling nutritious meal but is absolutely mad full of 3/4 micronutrients, meaning living off poutine is a viable strategy

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've got to the one part on Medievil 2 that I knew about ahead of time, Dankenstein! I just need to collect the parts in 8 minutes then do the boss. Not what I was expecting, but it's at least plenty of time. I liked the Garden/Greenhouse, although I fell down a few times and lost a few life bottles it was a very fun and pretty level. Very unique, and the puzzle aspect was quite pleasing. Almost got the chalice too, only lost 3 souls (you can get the chalice if 2 or fewer people die, unfortunately a third got infected and I couldn't get to them in time). I'll go back there with a stronger weapon for the chalice later on.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

oldpainless posted:

My bonus score from my poor playing

More like oldplatless

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bewilderment posted:

The Order 1886 had really sweet smoke and lighting effects and what looked like a decent story.
That's a PYF little things about it.

Shame that it's only a third of a game so all that never resolves!

The specialty guns were pretty neat (too bad you almost never got to use them.)

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I'm playing Bloodstained, and I love how the controls and mechanics reward mastery over time. It starts as a standard Castlevania platformer, but once you get some controls over your moves and techniques you get to go full anime on monsters.

The epitome of this is, for me, the flying kick. Press down it down diagonal after your last jump, and you do a mean scissor jump that allows you to bounce off enemies without damage. Normally, you only do an absurd small number of damage as well, but the game factors in your speed and velocity. Also, it never tells you about any of the above.

I was just fighting massive amounts of enemies in a courtyard, sliding across the ground, using swords and magic, until there's one heavily armored enemy left on a platform above me. I fly into the air, end up off screen, and land with a flying kick so hard it does more than 150x the normal damage, one shotting him. The entire game is like Symphony of the Night on steroids and I love it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I'm playing Bloodstained, and I love how the controls and mechanics reward mastery over time. It starts as a standard Castlevania platformer, but once you get some controls over your moves and techniques you get to go full anime on monsters.

The epitome of this is, for me, the flying kick. Press down it down diagonal after your last jump, and you do a mean scissor jump that allows you to bounce off enemies without damage. Normally, you only do an absurd small number of damage as well, but the game factors in your speed and velocity. Also, it never tells you about any of the above.

I was just fighting massive amounts of enemies in a courtyard, sliding across the ground, using swords and magic, until there's one heavily armored enemy left on a platform above me. I fly into the air, end up off screen, and land with a flying kick so hard it does more than 150x the normal damage, one shotting him. The entire game is like Symphony of the Night on steroids and I love it.

Related to this subject: a new game is being made for "Record of Lodoss War" for its 30th anniversary. Just yesterday it came out to Early Access, which is really just a demo of the first area. The game plays a lot like Symphony of the Night with a few more gimmicks: you have a bow and your arrows bounce off of metal surfaces meaning they have a bunch of neat little arrow bouncy puzzles and there's a central elemental gimmick where you, so far, swap between the wind and fire elements. Equipping one or the other sets your element attack and defense making you immune to one and vulnerable to the other, inflict damage of the same type you have equipped and perform a special ability. Wind lets you float and, briefly, fly, fire lets you set things on fire and make them explode. So if you fight a guy who spits fireballs? Swap to fire, fight a lady that throws tornadoes at you? Swap to wind. It's very simple and neat.

Mobility is pretty cool since it's basically just Symphony of the Night and the float given to you by the wind element is a huge boon to people who aren't very great at platforming, but the game is designed so that people who are good at it, or are just really determined to carve out every secret will be able to move around pretty freely by manipulating the game's physics and mobility system. There are even a few secrets in the demo area that I still couldn't fully figure out, and one jump I wasn't good enough to scale that drove me nuts and I still want to go back and try again because I want to know what's up there!

Combat's a bit stiff, as far as I can tell none of the weapons available had combos or secret skills but I didn't figure out half that stuff for symphony of the night on my own either. It's a lot like SotN in that there aren't that many fancy moves. However this game does have directional attacks so you can attack up, down and diagonal pretty freely. I think it looks fantastic? The pixel art is pretty, and the animations have a certain flair to them. Only two or three tracks for the whole thing, but it was a fun game!

My favorite detail about it though, are the smaller animations. If you have your wind spirit equipped and do a slide, you just do a regular ol' megaman style slide. Equip your fire spirit? You do a flaming kick through the air. I kept forgetting to test if it actually does damage to enemies though. I spent way too much time trying to find secret walls and not enough time slide kicking things in the face.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Final fantasy 14 just added magic bazookas to gatherers in a special area, god that rules

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Wrestlepig posted:

Final fantasy 14 just added magic bazookas to gatherers in a special area, god that rules

It also means that, by the numbers, the most powerful player-wielded attack in the game now belongs to miners, botanists, and fishermen.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Alhazred posted:

I had this happen with cultists in Odyssey bunch of times. Mostly it was random ships that showed up to naval battles where the camera would point them out so I figured they were important and sank them, but I killed at least two of them because they just happened to be in a location I was trying to complete.

Also Kassandra is a loving anime ninja after you level her a bit and it's amazing.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
You get actual loving superpowers. It's hella rad.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

U.T. Raptor posted:

Also Kassandra is a loving anime ninja after you level her a bit and it's amazing.

One upgrade in AssCreed: Syndicate makes Evie invisible when she stands still.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Evie was cool and I did 99% of the open world stuff with her. I always disliked having to play her brother for story purposes.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The mission in Syndicate where you infiltrate the Alhambra was cool. That side villain was so much better than Mustache McImperialism, because he had a sense of fun and drama.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Her Jack the Ripper DLC is also very cool, mostly because it ditches most of London to focus on two districts. Smaller scale open worlds are usually superior.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Speaking of Jack the Ripper, Medievil 2's Whitechapel level is an interesting one. There's a curfew, so the cops are alert until you can blend in, which makes sense as Jack the Ripper is at large and it's about the time he operates. What ends up happening, which totally surprised me, is that Kira, (the mummy lady you interact with throughout the game) goes after him solo, and he actually kills her. You don't save her (yet), which I thought was neat, at least in the moment.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Jack the Ripper is a match for a mummy and an undead skeleton knight lol gently caress yes best timeline

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Sir Daniel in Smash Bros. when

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

U.T. Raptor posted:

I had this happen with cultists in Odyssey bunch of times. Mostly it was random ships that showed up to naval battles where the camera would point them out so I figured they were important and sank them, but I killed at least two of them because they just happened to be in a location I was trying to complete.

There's one that's the governor of an island. I had no inkling of this and hadn't revealed anything about him at all and was incredibly surprised when I stabbed him in the process of flipping the island and "CULTIST KILLED" popped up.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Sir Daniel in Smash Bros. when

why wait? he's in Playstation AllStars!

:smith:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
https://youtu.be/f2CTAsH3m_Q

his rival is Colonel Radec for... reasons...

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Nioh 2 So far seems like just more Nioh with quality of life improvements and more cool stuff added, but there's one thing in particular I like a lot. It lets you re customize your custom character whenever you want on all levels free of charge, as far as i can tell

Also one of the new weapons they added is a magic scaling switchglaive and its basially a trick weapon from bloodborne and that's real cool.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bony tony posted:

You get actual loving superpowers. It's hella rad.

I was totally on board with that. Magic spear, eh? Demigod abilities? Oh Hades yeah, love it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Jack the Ripper is a match for a mummy and an undead skeleton knight lol gently caress yes best timeline

Oh, didn't I mention? Every monster in london has mutated along with all the dead rising from the grave, so the villain Blackthorne is a goblin creature, his assistants have turned into a loyal, stupid dogman and a cold, cruel, calculating lizard and Jack the Ripper is sporting enormous claws and elongated limbs, and is now the ultimate killing machine.

THIS is the Ripper Daniel Fortesque has to contend with: https://gallowmere.fandom.com/wiki/The_Ripper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Especially since Odyssey came after Origins and its sphere grid. Bayek was a cool character with a relatable motivation, but his upgrades were just too boring.