Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

reignofevil posted:

At some brokers (td ameritrade in my case) you can day trade as much as you want if you give up the siren call of margin access. :getin:

You generally need margin to day trade unless you have poo poo tons of money to burn through because if not you're stuck waiting for cash transactions to settle. Or maybe you can day-trade penny stocks because I *think* the $25k rule only applies to margin accounts.

Colonel Taint fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Okay here's iteration 2. I don't think it lines up with your example cases but, I see only one case where the false positive is evident, and a lot of entry points that would turn a profit.

code:
input lowLookback = 8;

plot sfd = StochasticFull().FullD;
sfd.Hide();

def sfdMin = if (sfd[2] > sfd[1] and sfd[1] > sfd  and sfd[-1] > sfd) then sfd else Double.NaN;

plot lowestInRange = Lowest(low,lowLookback);
lowestInRange.Hide();

def lowStartingRange = low[lowLookback];

plot priceDip = if (!IsNAN(sfdMin) and lowestInRange != lowStartingRange) then lowestInRange else Double.NaN;
plot sfdDip = if (!IsNAN(sfdMin) and lowestInRange !=
lowStartingRange) then sfdMin else Double.NAN;
priceDip.Hide();
sfdDip.Hide();

def priorDipPrice = fold i = 1 to 100 with priorPriceDip = Double.NaN while IsNAN(priorPriceDip) do priceDip[i];
def priorDipStoch = fold j = 1 to 100 with priorStochDip =
Double.NaN while IsNAN(priorStochDip) do sfdDip[j];

plot buyNow = if (priceDip < priorDipPrice and sfdDip > priorDipStoch) then low else Double.NaN;
buyNow.setPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.ARROW_UP);
Translating to human speak: Candidates are min points in the FullD graph of stochastic, and those are the only points we might mark. For every min point on FullD, look back at most lowLookback bars at the low of each ohlc bar (I set it to 8 on a 1 minute graph as a tweaking exercise that looked pretty good). If you find a low price and it isn't the 8th bar back, then this is a bar "in play". This should filter out the weird little kinks in trends.

Now that we have a bunch of bars in play, we look at each, and, if the dip in stochastic is higher than the last dip in play, AND if the lowest low in the prior 8 bars is lower than the lowest low for the last dip in play, we indicate. Otherwise silence.

Some random results I like:

3/13/20 11:50AM Current stoch dip: 9.99, prior stoch dip: 8.64 current low price: 2476.5 prior low price: 2486
3/13/20 4:41AM Current stoch dip: 18.03, prior stoch dip: 12:46 current low price: 2509 prior low price: 2528
3/12/20 3:38PM Current stoch dip: 32.59, prior stoch dip: 18.72 current low price: 2496.5 prior low price: 2498

I think maybe it'd benefit from also expressing the relationship between the bar where the indicator fires and the bar for the prior price dip, and for the prior stochastic dip, but feel like trying to eliminate kinks takes precedence over prettying it up.

It seems to be marking invalids very often on my chart, but it may be my stochastic settings. I use 8-K / 5-D for the 5 minute chart

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
It's interesting to listen to Peter Schiff's rationale everyday for why gold is not soaring in this environment.

greasyhands posted:

Its to protect poors from themselves, if you cant make it to $25k without intraday trading you aint gonna make it daytrading

Ah yes, day trading: the path to upward mobility.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

It's only 10 Est on Saturday and already..

-Apple closes ALL stores outside China
-Hospitals cancelling elective surgeries(this effects my work greatly!)
-Spain goes into lockdown

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
I'll be surprised if American cities or states aren't on lockdown by next weekend. The infection curve is getting steep.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Hit Man posted:

-Apple closes ALL stores outside China

This script got flipped crazy fast.

We still ostensibly have tickets to China in a week (asked for refund, airline went bankrupt). I was joking with the wife, maybe we should actually go after all if the flight is still on?

But I think everyone coming off the plane now gets put in quarantine for 14+ days.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Anyone here use thinkorswim (TOS)?

In TOS, how do you see the expense ratio of an ETF like VGT, or mutual fund? I can't seem to find a way. I am new at the platform. Clearly, I can find the expense ratio elsewhere (like at Vanguard itself).

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

LLCoolJD posted:

It's interesting to listen to Peter Schiff's rationale everyday for why gold is not soaring in this environment.

Bridgewater being down 20% could explain gold's performance. Ray "Cash is Trash" Dalio.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
a YOLO tesla call can't fail right?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Only one way to find out!

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

pmchem posted:

Anyone here use thinkorswim (TOS)?

In TOS, how do you see the expense ratio of an ETF like VGT, or mutual fund? I can't seem to find a way. I am new at the platform. Clearly, I can find the expense ratio elsewhere (like at Vanguard itself).
I'm not sure that you can. I always look them up on the websites or etf.com. I tried poking around in tos but I couldn't find it.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
LOL at Trump, he's taking a victory lap for pumping the market during the COVID update right now. "We should do that 5 times a day, every day"... the balls on this guy

Edit: He just said the market gonna bounce

4/20 NEVER FORGET fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 14, 2020

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Pumping the market only sets it up for a bigger fall.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Lote posted:

Pumping the market only sets it up for a bigger fall.

And it's such an obvious pump too. Does anybody really think that this is the start of a recovery?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
It isn't about whether its recovered. The question is still the magnitude of demand shock from people losing their jobs and reductions in production driven by the lower demand. Government stimulus is being signaled and that makes institutional investors think that the dip wont be so deep.

I mean, aside from a 1-2 month supply shock and an undetermined demand shock, the fundamentals of the economy are still strong we are being told.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Baddog posted:

This script got flipped crazy fast.

We still ostensibly have tickets to China in a week (asked for refund, airline went bankrupt). I was joking with the wife, maybe we should actually go after all if the flight is still on?

But I think everyone coming off the plane now gets put in quarantine for 14+ days.

Are you not in the US or something? China travel has been banned for ages.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I think the "buy and hold forever!" folks who have never lived through a bear market are starting to understand why it's not as easy as it looks.

There's the little voice in your head saying... "Well I want these stocks... but I also know that the market's going down from here... so why don't I just sell now and buy everything back cheaper later?"

And you might be wrong, or not know when to buy back, or feel like total poo poo after the market rips 9% in an afternoon.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 minutes!
Fun Shoe

Oscar Wild posted:

It isn't about whether its recovered. The question is still the magnitude of demand shock from people losing their jobs and reductions in production driven by the lower demand. Government stimulus is being signaled and that makes institutional investors think that the dip wont be so deep.

I mean, aside from a 1-2 month supply shock and an undetermined demand shock, the fundamentals of the economy are still strong we are being told.

We were told this up until the 2008 crash that our fundamentals were strong.

I'm a complete pessimist, it's not like I'm hoping for a crash and recession, but I think we're close to one. If coronavirus starts killing tens of thousands of people we're in deep poo poo economically and as a whole.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 14, 2020

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

The shock of shutting off the economy matters way more to the market than a few thousand deaths from this virus.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Agronox posted:

I think the "buy and hold forever!" folks who have never lived through a bear market are starting to understand why it's not as easy as it looks.

There's the little voice in your head saying... "Well I want these stocks... but I also know that the market's going down from here... so why don't I just sell now and buy everything back cheaper later?"

And you might be wrong, or not know when to buy back, or feel like total poo poo after the market rips 9% in an afternoon.

Anyone paying attention should have seen Friday as the poster child for just sit and hold anything long term

Meanwhile France just went full Madagascar so anyone who saw Trump's pump for what is was should be seeing returns as early as Monday morning

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Hit Man posted:

The shock of shutting off the economy matters way more to the market than a few thousand deaths from this virus.

You’re gonna have a shock either way in the stock market. Either you shut your economy down and get few deaths or you don’t, have it get widespread and kill 3-5% of your population which is 10-20%+ of your wealthiest demographics who will try to liquidate their equity holdings in a panic.

java
May 7, 2005

Berlin apparently just shut down their bars two days early so poo poo is getting real.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 minutes!
Fun Shoe

Hit Man posted:

Millions of people being required to stay home from work and school will almost assuredly be happening within the next few months. The healthcare system may get overloaded. poo poo could get really, really bad. By the time thousands of people start dying (and it could get to tens of thousands or more), it's going to have affected the economy already.

The way to control this is quarantines and containment. The Chinese shut down two Wuhan, and sent thousands of nurses, doctors, and all necessary resources to focus on the hardest hit area. They cut it off completely, had resources delivered to the edge of the containment zone, and then people inside the zone brought it in.

We don't have that luxury. NY, WA, And other states already have hundreds of infected. It's going to spread like wildfire now. Even asymptomatic cases are contagious.

We needed to shut down the borders a month or two ago, and had mandatory quarantines of anyone coming back from abroad. It would've hurt the economy bad, but it could've helped. Now we're dealing with an poo poo economy AND a pandemic.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bored As gently caress posted:

Millions of people being required to stay home from work and school will almost assuredly be happening within the next few months.

It’s already happening. Louisana closed schools until April 13. I’m in San Antonio and we’re extending spring break another week. The company I work for (global telecom manufacturing), has banned all non critical travel and instituted work from home for positions where it’s possible.

This is just the start.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
What we needed to do to avoid mass quarantines was to test for the virus aggressively back in early February and isolate folks as they were identified. More testing now would definitely help but it's probably too late to avoid large travel restrictions as has already been pointed out.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
I'm really feeling I should''ve reduced equity exposure in my retirement account at close yesterday. That may've been a good spot.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Don't time the market in your retirement accounts

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Inner Light posted:

Are you not in the US or something? China travel has been banned for ages.

US citizens and family, and I think permanent residents as well, can still pop in. That's the case for all of our "bans". Supposed to be well screened, but reports have been it's pretty much a wave through.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Doccykins posted:

I keep telling myself that but the losses don’t feel any better.

I will be adding to COP on Monday.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

LLCoolJD posted:

I've listened to his last two podcasts and Peter Schiff just has no idea what's going on, and no idea who's needed to sell off their gold. In one of them he seemed to be suggesting to not worry about the virus at all as you won't die if you're young and healthy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Woodchip posted:

I'm really feeling I should''ve reduced equity exposure in my retirement account at close yesterday. That may've been a good spot.

If you're not touching it for another couple decades, it won't matter.

fougera posted:

I keep telling myself that but the losses don’t feel any better.

I will be adding to COP on Monday.

It's only obvious in hindsight. It's impossible to tell if or when the market will truly tank or spike at any point in time, even in a case like this. Maybe you'll get lucky - but more likely, you'll lose everything.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Super degen weekend indices sitting at around 21950, down 4% from the whiplash close

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Doccykins posted:

Don't time the market, just hold onto that downside protection you bought, cus poo poo is gonna get wild. At some point in the last month or so you did construct a hedge against widespread pandemic and global recession, right? That doesn't involve just "your age in bonds"?

Look, the buy and hold thread is awesome for beginner financial advice, but can we restrain ourselves from chanting "don't time the market" over and over in this thread as well?

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
I mean I am absolutely buying puts as gambling hedges beacuase and if I win on them I'll be using it to offset losses during this downturn but I am in no way shape or form touching anything in those buy and hold retirement savings because personally I am not smart enough to outsmart market forces or the people writing the algos behind them

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Devian666 posted:

I've listened to his last two podcasts and Peter Schiff just has no idea what's going on, and no idea who's needed to sell off their gold. In one of them he seemed to be suggesting to not worry about the virus at all as you won't die if you're young and healthy.

Does Schiff ever have an idea what's going on? Is any advice of his worth following?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Bored As gently caress posted:

We were told this up until the 2008 crash that our fundamentals were strong.

I'm a complete pessimist, it's not like I'm hoping for a crash and recession, but I think we're close to one. If coronavirus starts killing tens of thousands of people we're in deep poo poo economically and as a whole.

Bear Stearns is fine

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Devian666 posted:

You probably won't die of the virus but it's still gonna suck rear end when any of all the other misfortunes that normally befall people are at the back of the ER line behind 500 respiratory failure patients and absolutely nobody gives a gently caress about your open compound fractures because you're not gonna die from it in the next few hours

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Baddog posted:

US citizens and family, and I think permanent residents as well, can still pop in. That's the case for all of our "bans". Supposed to be well screened, but reports have been it's pretty much a wave through.

I love all the "fever checks" given you spread the disease for days prior to symptoms. I'm sure you spread it more when you are in the acute phase(s) of the disease but whoop de do no fever.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
So in things I should've done from the start except I wanted to trade a couple hundred in options, moving from Robinhood to TD Ameritrade. But questions:

Haven't had enough income for a roth preivously, do now, need to do it. If Ima be hitting up TDAmeritrade for options now; are they a good option to handle the roth as well? And/or should I have basically all my non-banking finances through them?

Not really stock questions, but I assume a few of you in here do this already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Doccykins posted:

This.

I’m 100% in VIIIX for my retirement account and I’m not stressing one second about it. Yeah it’s down a ton but I’m not touching that for 30 more years.

Hoping my funds clear next week in the trading account I just opened. Can’t wait to gamble.