Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Man they’re eating each other on the Reddit Thread for Calling All Devs. Again it’s seems split down the middle, half are going on a victory lap claiming that 40 minutes of verbal hand waving means the project is now saved and the other half are asking what the gently caress is going on behind the scenes. The cult is out in full force trying to contain this outbreak of FUD but are getting downvoted pretty hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Beet Wagon posted:

Maaaaaan I'm not gonna go looking for it but there was a thread where HATERS(TM) were bringing up the fact that they were gonna have to reshoot all the mocap for SQ42 to use a female model just like they did for SC and people were getting furious going "The main narrative doesn't need to be playable as a female, they'll NEVER DO THIS" lol

Never bet against Chris crobbling more mocap.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1238577851160383488

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

https://twitter.com/hunter_hamburg/status/1238581327449993221

god this poo poo is so depressing

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

When i die i just want you all to come round and dispose of my sexy Tickler in Black outfit before the reddit nerds realise they were right all along.

Will do :monocle:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dementropy posted:

:reddit::

---"Yes, clearly the devs are doing nothing! It's all a scam! They took our money and ran away with it! Ooooohh! Noooooooo!

Seriously...do you listen to yourself?"

---"Man, you love your strawmen, don't you?"

---"It's not a Strawman argument when it's true. This is exactly what they do and say."

---"So care to find a quote? Literally no one thinks that CIG is sitting around all day doing nothing."

---"/r/starcitizen_refunds

Look around for a bit and you will find what you are looking for in there. I really don't care to go searching through their garbage for it."

A discussion between two backers:

:reddit:1: "Yeah we're not there. They can say whatever they want there (I don't read it, there's way too much cringe). Here we do talk about concerns we have with the project and community reaction too, though.

I don't care if they post to that sub if they have a good point. Dismissing arguments as trolls and boogeymen is lazy. If their argument is bunk, say why."

:reddit:2: "You are right, we aren't there but they are here. They are all over in this thread. Everytime there is an update thread or content thread of any kind, they are there to spread their FUD. They aren't bringing up "good points" or being "critical of the project". They are here to cause as much damage as they can. We are far past "dismissing the trolls" as we have proven them wrong time and time again while they keep coming back with the exact same arguments."

:tinfoil:They are all over in this thread.:tinfoil:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Comedy is tragedy plus time. I’ve been bothered with their traction with a vulnerable segment, tho.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

quote:

I feel that if you truly believe that in the years since 2013 there haven’t been any major features released, you either haven’t been paying attention, or have a wildly different idea than myself about what constitutes a major feature.

Planetary landings (including atmospheric planets),
procedurally generates city scapes,
more playable unique ship hulls with interiors you can walk through than any other game I can recall,
mining gameplay,
procedurally generated space stations,
etc.

Star Citizen: Since 2013 major features released. Etc.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

That’s the prison? That looks no more terrifying or unpleasant than any of the other interiors, all of which look like a bankrupt mall in an undesirable part of town.

RIP Dapper Don. He’ll be missed here.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Things only the best investors (and people who understand game development) say:

"They've come up with some mathematical wizardry"

"Yes, from a technical perspective, even as it is, the game is an engineering marvel. If I couldn't log in and explore each day, I would never have believed someone who told me what they've managed to accomplish."

"Which is why people keep giving money to CIG and essentially 'buying the product'."

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Inacio posted:

https://pastebin.com/6iKPiCqw

Prisons are incomplete and not a pleasant experience. Avoid committing a crime, if you accidentally do please reset your character or recopy your account.

Now hold the gently caress on, this here is a statement that warrants a moment's consideration.

The sole defining feature of 3.9, the only thing they didn't cut, is so incomplete and bad that the solution to engaging with it is to wipe your account.

Excuse me what the gently caress. Sure am glad that they made "Avoid committing a crime" an option, and not basically impossible based on 90% of the missions and half the game being set up to give you infractions if you do more than fly around. Seriously it is completely unavoidable. I saw that part of it coming from a mile away- but even I couldn't predict that they'd just go ahead and push the feature without bothering to make it playable.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Dementropy posted:

Things only the best investors (and people who understand game development) say:

"They've come up with some mathematical wizardry"

"Yes, from a technical perspective, even as it is, the game is an engineering marvel. If I couldn't log in and explore each day, I would never have believed someone who told me what they've managed to accomplish."

"Which is why people keep giving money to CIG and essentially 'buying the product'."

I love these quotes - backers are basically committing a mass gaslighting campaign against those who might randomly come across these posts and take them at face value.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sarsapariller posted:

Now hold the gently caress on, this here is a statement that warrants a moment's consideration.

The sole defining feature of 3.9, the only thing they didn't cut, is so incomplete and bad that the solution to engaging with it is to wipe your account.

Excuse me what the gently caress. Sure am glad that they made "Avoid committing a crime" an option, and not basically impossible based on 90% of the missions and half the game being set up to give you infractions if you do more than fly around. Seriously it is completely unavoidable. I saw that part of it coming from a mile away- but even I couldn't predict that they'd just go ahead and push the feature without bothering to make it playable.
Oh man, I can't wait for 3.9 to release with broken prisons. The infighting among shittizens is going to be glorious. And if the prisons are the dull, generic fully lit sci-fi thing shown in the images, all those dreams of a gritty, tough life in the prisons that backers have will vanish.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Bootcha posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen, Goons and Observers, it saddens me to inform you that one of our own has passed away.

DapperDon died from a heart attack on the way to the hospital. He is survived by his wife.

Don was a frequent contributor on the ARGCast as well as this thread, and sometimes ventured into the wilds of Reddit.

We have lost a voice in the chorus of the great Star Citizen oral history. I am ashamed to say I did not know him well enough, but many here did and made friendships with him that will affect them past his death.

Don wasn't just goon shitposting about Star Citizen. He was a dog daddy, of 4 at the same time at one point. He made animal baths. He was an avid woodcrafter. An enthusiastic snowmobiler. A lover of visual gags. And by many reports a great cook.

I am poorer for his absence, as will us in this little corner of the world.

RIP Dapper Don. You were one of the good ones. :(

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Pharohman777 posted:

Oh man, I can't wait for 3.9 to release with broken prisons. The infighting among shittizens is going to be glorious. And if the prisons are the dull, generic fully lit sci-fi thing shown in the images, all those dreams of a gritty, tough life in the prisons that backers have will vanish.

No they won't. These are just Tier 0 prisons; the actually working ones are yet to come, keep on pledging

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Pixelate posted:

- The player will die when walking toward New Deal
CSPAM is leaking into the thread!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dementropy posted:

:reddit::

---"Pretty sad to see the community de-evolve into a bunch of assholes crying about wanting to see MOAR. STFU and let them work.

You'll get your gad drat video game when it's done sheesh."

---"Well...it's not really this community but the brigading efforts of the ReFUDian community. I make an effort to tag them all via RES and it's really helpful for situations like this. There is literally nobody in this thread being negative that isn't either a ReFUDian or someone who has proven themselves as a detractor in the past."

Heh, classic.

or someone who has proven themselves as a detractor in the past.

So basically, if anyone is critical, they must be a refundian hater who needs to be res tagged. Man, he really wants an echo chamber.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dementropy posted:

:reddit:: "Star Citizen: Calling All Devs - Squadron 42"
[i]
Why hasn't the Squadron 42 roadmap been updated?

The current roadmap does not accurately reflect the development that is currently occurring. This is because the roadmap is based on linear development, where features are developed one at a time in a linear fashion. However, CIG are instead using parallel development, meaning that instead of progressing through tasks in a linear way, they are working on everything at once. With the current linear roadmap, this would mean that progress would seem to be none-existent, up until the final month, where all the tasks and chapters should suddenly be completed.

This is the biggest pile of bullshit i've heard from CIG in a long time, and that's up against some very stiff competetion.

The saddest thing about it is though is backers taking this as being true and using it to defend the lack of the very same roadmap that they used to use to show how things were progressing.

To steal some valour from Mole HD on the FD forums

This is the CIG equivalent of "The dog ate my homework", but passing it off as a good thing

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

To protect myself from coronavirus should I use AVG anti-virus or Norton anti-virus?

Does Star Citizen have an anit-virus?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Citizens would need human contact to catch it, so they're safe.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Kosumo posted:

To protect myself from coronavirus should I use AVG anti-virus or Norton anti-virus?

Does Star Citizen have an anit-virus?
For all your virusy needs use...

Crobear's Crovidaway 42

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Dooguk posted:

For all your virusy needs use...

Crobear's Crovidaway 42

how much?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Does it protect above its weight?

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Kosumo posted:

how much?

What price can you put on safety? Think of it as an investment.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
I have been audibly saying "FUD" in normal everyday life because the word is so funny to say out loud

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

I guess on the plus side he isn't actually spending money he doesn't have. Right now...

(Also, can the Carrack really move itself around using its lower turret? Because that would be incredibly CIG)

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Dementropy posted:

The current roadmap does not accurately reflect the development that is currently occurring. This is because the roadmap is based on linear development, where features are developed one at a time in a linear fashion. However, CIG are instead using parallel development, meaning that instead of progressing through tasks in a linear way, they are working on everything at once. With the current linear roadmap, this would mean that progress would seem to be none-existent, up until the final month, where all the tasks and chapters should suddenly be completed.

CIG are searching for better ways to present the development of Squadron 42 to the community, and are planning to rework the roadmap in the future. However, they also cannot reveal many of the major things that they are working on, as Chris does not want any part of the game to be spoiled. This makes it difficult for much of the progress to be shown, and is partially why there have been no major updates on Squadron 42 for over a year.

How will CIG continue to communicate the progress on the Squadron 42 roadmap in the future?

In the short term, you can read through the monthly reports on Squadron 42, which will give you a more accurate view of how well development is going. CIG is planning to begin making the sprint reports partially focused on Squadron 42, instead of having them being fully focused on the development of Star Citizen.

Other ideas are also being considered, such as having regular videos with some of the major developers that are working on Squadron 42.

How is Squadron 42 progressing overall?

They are not exactly where they want to be right now, however the delays are not nearly as extreme as what is shown on the current roadmap (they are very close to being on schedule). You should expect a huge amount of progress this year, as many major features are nearing completion.

Update on Squadron 42 AI and where it's at right now

The developers working on AI have been working very closely with the physics team to implement 3D pathfinding (the same feature that is coming to the PU in Alpha 3.9). They have also been working on FPS combat, by adding different tactics that the AI can use, and different combat techniques for different weapons.

Why are the bartender AI improvements important?

The bartender AI covers many different problems and social behaviours, so working on the bartender AI will allow for CIG to progress a lot quicker for other types of social AI in the future.

Bonus Updates on Squadron 42

Cutscenes in Squadron 42 are designed to be fully immersive, meaning that you can interrupt or break away from them whenever you want. However, doing so may be considered rude, and may affect how other characters in the story behave towards your character in the future.

Female and male character will have different performances in the game. For example, the AI or other characters in the story will react slightly differently to you, depending on the gender that you are playing as.

The performance and stability of Squadron 42 is continuously being improved upon, and is drastically better than the current PU performance. During a 6 hour play session of the game, it only crashed once, which is a milestone considering the stability of the current PU.

CitizenCon 2950 will be mainly focused on Squadron 42, and CIG are already working on a lot of cool things that will be shown there.

That entire episode was pure gold.

Chris and now Erin have washed their hands of Squadron and pushed Chambers forward to do his duty, and boy did he look delighted about it. Lando and Chambers both had to retreat to prior song-and-dance routines (“game dev is hard”, “cant y’all progress because spoilers”, etc.) and Tyler got called up to do what he does best, smile ineffectually and affirm whatever Lando’s prattling about.

Nick Elms appearance was a surprise, sitting in the seat Phil Meller held for so long, “Creative Director of Squadron 42.” Woe to any man who has to hold that title while Chris is in charge. It’s been so long since Elms has been on camera I’d wondered if he bugged out, but no, he’s probably as stuck as Tony Z and Chambers.

It’s hardly worth diving deep on the commentary since it’s really just a retread of older masterclasses in excusemaking. It does seem pretty grim that neither Chris nor Erin showed up. Squadron’s gone from Daddy’s Favorite Princess to Redheaded Step-Child over the last year. Calder must be thrilled to own a piece of that these days.

Oh, and :lol: that Franco is still their Lead AI Programmer. I guess all those resume calls for seasoned AI talent never got answered. Oh well, it’s probably not that important...

The whole thing was weaksauce, and I’m genuinely surprised they didn’t once lean on any Coronavirus excuses. That probably means this one was been in the can a couple weeks. Even so, they’re absolutely gonna seize on it eventually and flog it as long as possible once they do.

Hey Lando, if you’re powerless once again to update a Roadmap because “spoilers”, then how is Squadron 42 going to be the centerpiece of CitCon 2020? Like, you can’t tell backers Squadron’s going to miss the summertime beta, but you can center an entire fan event around cinematic reveals (again)? All that cognitive dissonance would go away if you guys would just admit the obvious rather than forever trying to obscure it.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

No worries. CIG and SC funding is probably going to be among the sole suuccessful businesses defying the otherwise global economic meltdown. 50 million in 2020 here we go!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dementropy posted:

[i]

Horseshit. If they were ever practicing ‘linear development’, they’d probably be further along, but they’ve delighted in throwing new technical debt onto that ‘roadmap’ since the start.

It’s a visualization tool that’s backed them into a corner. Note he foreshadows the improbable with ‘progress would seem to be non-existent’, leading into ‘suddenly completed’.

This is messaging for the Calders.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Dementropy posted:

CIG are searching for better ways to present the development of Squadron 42 to the community, and are planning to rework the roadmap in the future. However, they also cannot reveal many of the major things that they are working on, as Chris does not want any part of the game to be spoiled. This makes it difficult for much of the progress to be shown, and is partially why there have been no major updates on Squadron 42 for over a year.

How will CIG continue to communicate the progress on the Squadron 42 roadmap in the future?

In the short term, you can read through the monthly reports on Squadron 42, which will give you a more accurate view of how well development is going. CIG is planning to begin making the sprint reports partially focused on Squadron 42, instead of having them being fully focused on the development of Star Citizen.

Other ideas are also being considered, such as having regular videos with some of the major developers that are working on Squadron 42.

How is Squadron 42 progressing overall?

They are not exactly where they want to be right now, however the delays are not nearly as extreme as what is shown on the current roadmap (they are very close to being on schedule). You should expect a huge amount of progress this year, as many major features are nearing completion.

Update on Squadron 42 AI and where it's at right now

The developers working on AI have been working very closely with the physics team to implement 3D pathfinding (the same feature that is coming to the PU in Alpha 3.9). They have also been working on FPS combat, by adding different tactics that the AI can use, and different combat techniques for different weapons.

Why are the bartender AI improvements important?

The bartender AI covers many different problems and social behaviours, so working on the bartender AI will allow for CIG to progress a lot quicker for other types of social AI in the future.

Bonus Updates on Squadron 42

Cutscenes in Squadron 42 are designed to be fully immersive, meaning that you can interrupt or break away from them whenever you want. However, doing so may be considered rude, and may affect how other characters in the story behave towards your character in the future.

Female and male character will have different performances in the game. For example, the AI or other characters in the story will react slightly differently to you, depending on the gender that you are playing as.

The performance and stability of Squadron 42 is continuously being improved upon, and is drastically better than the current PU performance. During a 6 hour play session of the game, it only crashed once, which is a milestone considering the stability of the current PU.

CitizenCon 2950 will be mainly focused on Squadron 42, and CIG are already working on a lot of cool things that will be shown there.

After 8 years we can't even show you a plan !

The plan we showed you dosent make sense !

We are still redoing things we finished in 2013.

We have had redo things so many times we now have rotate people around because can't take it any more !!

Whhhhhaaaaaat the FFFF are they doing

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
8 years and still mastering bartender AI...this made my morning.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

How can mere mortals living in linear timeline even fathom the transcendental genius of parallel development? For Crobbler, the game is both completely done and not even started, since He cannot perceive time like a lower being anymore.

Checkmate.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
If they add a horse mask in and I sit at the bar with it on the bartender better fuckin ask me "why the long face?"

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

How can mere mortals living in linear timeline even fathom the transcendental genius of parallel development? For Crobbler, the game is both completely done and not even started, since He cannot perceive time like a lower being anymore.

Checkmate.

Schrodinger's Crobbler.

It's like watching game development by a senile chubby old teacher and a bunch of grade 8s.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

It is impossible to update more than one thing on our linear roadmap, which means that it cannot accurately reflect our groundbreaking new parallel development process, where more than one thing gets updated at a time.

I'm Chris Roberts, thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Checkmate.

Imagine four roadmaps sitting on the edge of a cliff.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beet Wagon posted:

It is impossible to update more than one thing on our linear roadmap, which means that it cannot accurately reflect our groundbreaking new parallel development process, where more than one thing gets updated at a time.

I'm Chris Roberts, thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Holy poo poo, imagine a Chris Roberts TED talk. The handwaving alone would tear the roof off, and you'd have an auditorium full of people waiting for a punch line that never comes.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

devil's avocado, it's probably just them not knowing that you shouldn't push out features before they're, you know, usable.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
Good to know that in a world turned upside down, one thing remains constant - CIG's ability not to produce a game.

Mind you, it can only be a matter of days before "All development halted on SC and S54 due to health concerns" is a thing. Calling it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

the sick fucks.