Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

lmao holy poo poo guys if you're worried about the direction of the democratic party make sure you go to your precinct realignment and county meetings

I just got a seat on the state executive committee for being the only county convention attendee under 70

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Goooooooooooo

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1238874586818674689?s=19

gently caress YOURSELF

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

shame on an IGA posted:

lmao holy poo poo guys if you're worried about the direction of the democratic party make sure you go to your precinct realignment and county meetings

I just got a seat on the state executive committee for being the only county convention attendee under 70

we kinda discussed this in the D&D Texas thread. the average age of anyone involved in elections is north of 100 because its all volunteer work and people who work two jobs aint got time for that. so now you've end up with like two people under 40 in an entire county trying to explain ipads to people who remember voting for Eisenhower. this just carries right over into party machines.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

shame on an IGA posted:

But then I'd have to take responsibility for something instead of incessantly shrieking about how Biden = Trump in C-SPAM with my deranged friends

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Well that's just absurd. He more clearly equivocates to Reagan

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

My parents got an email from the airline that their booking of the return flight from Crete (April 1st) was canceled and fully refunded. Been 10 days since they got there, showing no symptoms or anything, and there seem to be no confirmed cases on the island. Maybe they found a pretty sweet place to ride it out.

Meanwhile at work we started a pool for:

1) When the Feds/USACE go to minimum essential operations (we're an army corps construction project)
2) When one of our companies blinks and tells engineers/other office dwellers to start WFH. Inspectors and all the craft workers can eat poo poo I guess.
3) Date first person on the project is confirmed to have it.
4) When someone makes an HR complaint about the pool.

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills.

I do not give coronavirus permission to infect me, my family, or any people/dogs I know, in both the past and the future.

I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the gently caress out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my loving words.

The wellness of my body is private and confidential.

You think you can get away with saying that poo poo to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re loving dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands.

By posting this statement, I give my notice to the coronavirus that it is strictly forbidden to infect me, infect anybody close to me, make me I'll, send me or any of my family members into quarantine, or take any other action against me on the basis of my body and/or its contents.

Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable rear end off the face of the continent, you little poo poo. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your loving tongue.

The violation of my privacy can be punished by law (UCC 1-308-1 1 308-103 and the Rome statute).

But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will poo poo fury all over you and you will drown in it.

Note: Coronavirus is now a pandemic. All Facebook Users must post a note like this. If you prefer, you can copy and paste this version. If you do not publish a statement at least once, you have given tacit agreement allowing you, as well as all of your friends on your Facebook page, to be infected.

You’re loving dead, kiddo.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

But then I'd have to take responsibility for something instead of incessantly shrieking about how Biden = Trump in C-SPAM with my deranged friends

I'm out canvassing for the candidates I want to see in office in this area (Seriously you assholes in the TriState area PM me I'll get you the numbers for McKayla Wilke's campaign) so I do that, but stuff like joining the local precinct alignment committee? I haven't lived in the same STATE for more than two years in so long I can't remember. I don't have "a community" to be part of, I'll be somewhere else in probably six months for whatever my next job is.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
Ok, boomer

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Comparison of the obituary page of the Bergamo Italy newspaper. Population 120k.

https://vimeo.com/397610578

Feb 9 - 1.5 pages
March 13 - 10 pages

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

BurningChrome posted:

You’re loving dead, kiddo.

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS CONTAGION AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, EMHOFF AND I REALLY WISH I COULD KEEP THIS JOKE GOING BUT I DONT WATCH DISASTER MOVIES AND I FEEL THE WRITERS HAVE DECIDED THAT SEASON FOUR IS THE EDGY PANDEMIC SEASON OF THIS AMERICAN LIFE AND I WOULD REALLY WANT A REFUND FROM BLOCKBUSTER EXCEPT THEY ALL WENT OUT OF BUSINESS AND IM PRACTICING SOCIAL DISTANCING

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Now seems like a good time to invest in mortuary service related stocks. Funeral home corporations, casket and cremation urn manufacturers, that kind of poo poo.

My fee for this advice is one (1) marijuanas.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

davecrazy posted:

Comparison of the obituary page of the Bergamo Italy newspaper. Population 120k.

https://vimeo.com/397610578

Feb 9 - 1.5 pages
March 13 - 10 pages

Dear God.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/BCAppelbaum/status/1238876377136463873?s=20

Cool, cool, way to go Nancy. Slay Queen

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

shame on an IGA posted:

fuckin' :nice:

bird food bathtub posted:

I'm out canvassing for the candidates I want to see in office in this area (Seriously you assholes in the TriState area PM me I'll get you the numbers for McKayla Wilke's campaign) so I do that, but stuff like joining the local precinct alignment committee? I haven't lived in the same STATE for more than two years in so long I can't remember. I don't have "a community" to be part of, I'll be somewhere else in probably six months for whatever my next job is.

Yeah I'm in the same boat in a lot of respects, it's harder to get involved in local politics when you move every six months.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

If you're curious why you can't find poo poo at stores:

quote:

He Has 17,700 Bottles of Hand Sanitizer and Nowhere to Sell Them

Amazon cracked down on coronavirus price gouging. Now, while the rest of the world searches, some sellers are holding stockpiles of sanitizer and masks.

By Jack Nicas

March 14, 2020
Updated 1:33 p.m. ET

On March 1, the day after the first coronavirus death in the United States was announced, brothers Matt and Noah Colvin set out in a silver S.U.V. to pick up some hand sanitizer. Driving around Chattanooga, Tenn., they hit a Dollar Tree, then a Walmart, a Staples and a Home Depot. At each store, they cleaned out the shelves.

Over the next three days, Noah Colvin took a 1,300-mile road trip across Tennessee and into Kentucky, filling a U-Haul truck with thousands of bottles of hand sanitizer and thousands of packs of antibacterial wipes, mostly from “little hole-in-the-wall dollar stores in the backwoods,” his brother said. “The major metro areas were cleaned out.”

Matt Colvin stayed home near Chattanooga, preparing for pallets of even more wipes and sanitizer he had ordered, and starting to list them on Amazon. Mr. Colvin said he had posted 300 bottles of hand sanitizer and immediately sold them all for between $8 and $70 each, multiples higher than what he had bought them for. To him, “it was crazy money.” To many others, it was profiteering from a pandemic.

The next day, Amazon pulled his items and thousands of other listings for sanitizer, wipes and face masks. The company suspended some of the sellers behind the listings and warned many others that if they kept running up prices, they’d lose their accounts. EBay soon followed with even stricter measures, prohibiting any U.S. sales of masks or sanitizer.

Now, while millions of people across the country search in vain for hand sanitizer to protect themselves from the spread of the coronavirus, Mr. Colvin is sitting on 17,700 bottles of the stuff with little idea where to sell them.

“It’s been a huge amount of whiplash,” he said. “From being in a situation where what I’ve got coming and going could potentially put my family in a really good place financially to ‘What the heck am I going to do with all of this?’”

Mr. Colvin is one of probably thousands of sellers who have amassed stockpiles of hand sanitizer and crucial respirator masks that many hospitals are now rationing, according to interviews with eight Amazon sellers and posts in private Facebook and Telegram groups from dozens more. Amazon said it had recently removed hundreds of thousands of listings and suspended thousands of sellers’ accounts for price gouging related to the coronavirus.

Now both the physical and digital shelves are nearly empty.

Mikeala Kozlowski, a nurse in Dudley, Mass., has been searching for hand sanitizer since before she gave birth to her first child, Nora, on March 5. When she searched stores, which were sold out, she skipped getting gas to avoid handling the pump. And when she checked Amazon, she couldn’t find it for less than $50.

“You’re being selfish, hoarding resources for your own personal gain,” she said of the sellers.

Sites like Amazon and eBay have given rise to a growing industry of independent sellers who snatch up discounted or hard-to-find items in stores to post online and sell around the world.

These sellers call it retail arbitrage, a 21st-century career that has adults buying up everything from limited-run cereals to Fingerling Monkeys, a once hot toy. The bargain hunters look for anything they can sell at a sharp markup. In recent weeks, they found perhaps their biggest opportunity: a pandemic.

As they watched the list of Amazon’s most popular searches crowd with terms like “Purell,” “N95 mask” and “Clorox wipes,” sellers said, they did what they had learned to do: Suck up supply and sell it for what the market would bear.

Initially, the strategy worked. For several weeks, prices soared for some of the top results to searches for sanitizer, masks and wipes on Amazon, according to a New York Times analysis of historical prices from Jungle Scout, which tracks data for Amazon sellers. The data shows that both Amazon and third-party sellers like Mr. Colvin increased their prices, which then mostly dropped when Amazon took action against price gouging this month.

At the high prices, people still bought the products en masse, and Amazon took a cut of roughly 15 percent and eBay roughly 10 percent, depending on the price and the seller.

Then the companies, pressured by growing criticism from regulators and customers, cracked down. After the measures last week, Amazon went further on Wednesday, restricting sales of any coronavirus-related products from certain sellers.

“Price gouging is a clear violation of our policies, unethical, and in some areas, illegal,” Amazon said in a statement. “In addition to terminating these third party accounts, we welcome the opportunity to work directly with states attorneys general to prosecute bad actors.”

Mr. Colvin, 36, a former Air Force technical sergeant, said he started selling on Amazon in 2015, developing it into a six-figure career by selling Nike shoes and pet toys, and by following trends.

In early February, as headlines announced the coronavirus’s spread in China, Mr. Colvin spotted a chance to capitalize. A nearby liquidation firm was selling 2,000 “pandemic packs,” leftovers from a defunct company. Each came with 50 face masks, four small bottles of hand sanitizer and a thermometer. The price was $5 a pack. Mr. Colvin haggled it to $3.50 and bought them all.

He quickly sold all 2,000 of the 50-packs of masks on eBay, pricing them from $40 to $50 each, and sometimes higher. He declined to disclose his profit on the record but said it was substantial.

The success stoked his appetite. When he saw the panicked public starting to pounce on sanitizer and wipes, he and his brother set out to stock up.

Elsewhere in the country, other Amazon sellers were doing the same.

Chris Anderson, an Amazon seller in central Pennsylvania, said he and a friend had driven around Ohio, buying about 10,000 masks from stores. He used coupons to buy packs of 10 for around $15 each and resold them for $40 to $50. After Amazon’s cut and other costs, he estimates, he made a $25,000 profit.

Mr. Anderson is now holding 500 packs of antibacterial wipes after Amazon blocked him from selling them for $19 each, up from $16 weeks earlier. He bought the packs for $3 each.

Eric, a truck driver from Ohio who spoke on the condition that his surname not be published because he feared Amazon would retaliate, said he had also collected about 10,000 masks at stores. He bought each 10-pack for about $20 and sold most for roughly $80 each, though some he priced at $125.

“Even at $125 a box, they were selling almost instantly,” he said. “It was mind-blowing as far as what you could charge.” He estimates he made $35,000 to $40,000 in profit.

Now he has 1,000 more masks on order, but he’s not sure what to do with them. He said Amazon had been vague about what constituted price gouging, scaring away sellers who don’t want to risk losing their ability to sell on its site.

To regulators and many others, the sellers are sitting on a stockpile of medical supplies during a pandemic. The attorney general’s offices in California, Washington and New York are all investigating price gouging related to the coronavirus. California’s price-gouging law bars sellers from increasing prices by more than 10 percent after officials declare an emergency. New York’s law prohibits sellers from charging an “unconscionably excessive price” during emergencies.

An official at the Washington attorney general’s office said the agency believed it could apply the state’s consumer-protection law to sue platforms or sellers, even if they aren’t in Washington, as long as they were trying to sell to Washington residents.

Mr. Colvin does not believe he was price gouging. While he charged $20 on Amazon for two bottles of Purell that retail for $1 each, he said people forget that his price includes his labor, Amazon’s fees and about $10 in shipping. (Alcohol-based sanitizer is pricey to ship because officials consider it a hazardous material.)

Current price-gouging laws “are not built for today’s day and age,” Mr. Colvin said. “They’re built for Billy Bob’s gas station doubling the amount he charges for gas during a hurricane.”

He added, “Just because it cost me $2 in the store doesn’t mean it’s not going to cost me $16 to get it to your door.”

But what about the morality of hoarding products that can prevent the spread of the virus, just to turn a profit?

Mr. Colvin said he was simply fixing “inefficiencies in the marketplace.” Some areas of the country need these products more than others, and he’s helping send the supply toward the demand.

“There’s a crushing overwhelming demand in certain cities right now,” he said. “The Dollar General in the middle of nowhere outside of Lexington, Ky., doesn’t have that.”

He thought about it more. “I honestly feel like it’s a public service,” he added. “I’m being paid for my public service.”

As for his stockpile, Mr. Colvin said he would now probably try to sell it locally. “If I can make a slight profit, that’s fine,” he said. “But I’m not looking to be in a situation where I make the front page of the news for being that guy who hoarded 20,000 bottles of sanitizer that I’m selling for 20 times what they cost me.”

After The Times published this article on Saturday morning, Mr. Colvin said he was exploring ways to donate all the supplies.

gently caress people like this with a rusty pole.

E: Wouldn't be surprised if once his neighbors find out he did this he gets his rear end beat.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 14, 2020

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://medium.com/@joschabach/flattening-the-curve-is-a-deadly-delusion-eea324fe9727

:stonk:

we may have a small problem here

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

GoGoGadget posted:

Ok, I never made fun of autistic people. gently caress you for editing my post in your quote to make it look like I did.

gently caress you for complaining that people complained. Really if anything sounds like autistic screeching, it's when people bitch when they're told they're being an rear end in a top hat.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/1238888541125595143?s=20

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Homie isn't an epidemiologist, and is getting a lot of clapback from infectious disease doctors in his comments. Take his charts and predictions with a grain of salt.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

orange juche posted:

Homie isn't an epidemiologist, and is getting a lot of clapback from infectious disease doctors in his comments. Take his charts and predictions with a grain of salt.

Yeah. Considering Lipsitch, Hanage etc are some of the ones mentioning the whole #flattenthecurve thing its a little questionable to put the opinion of computer person over epidemiologists.

Also wtffff

https://www.wired.com/story/coronavirus-donald-trump-google-website/

quote:

President Donald Trump announced Friday that the US government’s coronavirus testing apparatus, which has lagged badly behind other developed nations, would soon get an assist from Google. The search and advertising giant will create a website, Trump said, that would help Americans figure out if they need a test for the virus, and if so where they can find one.

The only problem: There is no nationwide site like the one Trump described. And Google had no idea the president was going to mention one.

A source at Google tells WIRED that company leadership was surprised that Trump announced anything about the initiative at the press conference. What he did say was also almost entirely wrong.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

orange juche posted:

Yeah, nobody so far agrees with this guy, stop spreading his bullshit. Flattening the curve is still a necessary step.

Please listen to this guy instead:

https://twitter.com/CT_Bergstrom/status/1238718629094379521

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 14, 2020

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Force de Fappe posted:

Got a reference on that, chum?

Can't share it.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
That article seems needlessly contrarian and fear-mongery. Yeah, no poo poo the average "flattening the curve" graphics don't have numbers and aren't meant to be taken as 100% literal, they're intended to explain the reasoning for the measures being taken in a way that is easy to understand. All the author is actually saying is that they personally believe draconian containment procedures are necessary to flatten the curve to where they believe it needs to be.

It's not impossible that such measures will be necessary, but I'm not going to take that advice from an "AI researcher".

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

bird food bathtub posted:

This is the first time I had ever attended a party meeting or event.

It was like "Who the gently caress is this guy? Yeah, good, OK, put him in charge"

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

For something more humorous,

quote:

Between 1798 and the Civil War, the US Navy lost two-thirds as many officers to dueling as it did to more than 60 years of combat at sea.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/duel-104161025/?no-ist=&amp&page=2

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

orange juche posted:

Man, is there anything computer people aren't experts in?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cugel the Clever posted:

That article seems needlessly contrarian and fear-mongery. Yeah, no poo poo the average "flattening the curve" graphics don't have numbers and aren't meant to be taken as 100% literal, they're intended to explain the reasoning for the measures being taken in a way that is easy to understand. All the author is actually saying is that they personally believe draconian containment procedures are necessary to flatten the curve to where they believe it needs to be.

It's not impossible that such measures will be necessary, but I'm not going to take that advice from an "AI researcher".

Also healthy dose of xenophobia where he claims that Italy did nothing to contain the spread and simply waited until their health system collapsed to do anything. Dude may be an AI genius but he's a moron when it comes to anything else. I too can draw scary numbers on a graph and state asinine conclusions from it.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Just through all this, don't forget to celebrate life's little things when they happen.

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1238896619774492673

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Is there a source for this besides the NYT editorial board? I just read the full text and the language doesn't say 50 or under can apply for a waiver it says 50 or under can apply for reimbursement from the treasury department.

The only reference I can find to "over 500" is language striking that language from the original FMLA

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Fallom posted:

Well I’m sorry I asked

Me too :stonk:

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Also the emergency leave amendment to the FMLA in this bill explicitly lowers the 50 employee threshold from the FMLA to 1 employee for the purposes of applying this amendment.

I have no idea what the NYT article is talking about

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Jarmak posted:

Also the emergency leave amendment to the FMLA in this bill explicitly lowers the 50 employee threshold from the FMLA to 1 employee for the purposes of applying this amendment.

I have no idea what the NYT article is talking about

I decided to look at it as well and yeah, same. Are they even talking about the same bill?

The bill in question:

e: Apparently not? gently caress if I know anything.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 14, 2020

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
This is what AOC is saying:

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1238903193641324545?s=20

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

First case on Ramstein Air Base today, had one in LRMC a couple days back. All gyms are shut down, base restaurants are take-out only, and the movie theater is closed down. Soldiers in Germany aren't allowed to go to clubs, hookah lounges, movie theaters, restaurants, etc. and all TDY, PCS in/out have been delayed.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

42 y.o. female patient presents with a fever, no other health issues. Overnight had to be moved to ICU with multiple organ failure, still desaturating on 40L/min oxygen. Had a heart attack and her lungs show massive hemorrhaging of water. Not responsive to any of the medications administered. One of 4 similar patients he/she saw last night.

What the gently caress

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

42 y.o. female patient presents with a fever, no other health issues. Overnight had to be moved to ICU with multiple organ failure, still desaturating on 40L/min oxygen. Had a heart attack and her lungs show massive hemorrhaging of water. Not responsive to any of the medications administered. One of 4 similar patients he/she saw last night.

Well - gently caress.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Uhhhh

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
That sort of thing is going to happen, and it's going to stand out. I don't think it'll be seen as the norm, even if it's good to keep in mind that, yeah, it's not just Olds that this thing takes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I mean the .1% has to come from somewhere but that is a bit jarring.