Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

Gentle on the steel beam was probably one of the most surreal scenes the anime has produced

Mostly due to how it just kept going

Honestly if I could make it bounce like that I'd flaunt it too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Spiritus Nox posted:

Honestly if I could make it bounce like that I'd flaunt it too
Phrasing!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Weren't we done with phrasing? I thought we were done. :raise:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Gentle Criminal Bounces On Erect Steel Girder
56k views

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I know what I typed

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Gentle is good and also my friend. I would like, follow, and subscribe to his crimes.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Now I'm imagining all sorts of YouTube/prank shenanigans that would happen with Quirks. Can you imagine Jackass with Quirks?

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Mraagvpeine posted:

Now I'm imagining all sorts of YouTube/prank shenanigans that would happen with Quirks. Can you imagine Jackass with Quirks?

This is why the setting is so overly restrictive about quirk use. Everybody was doing too many stunts

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

PMush Perfect posted:

Gentle Criminal Bounces On Erect Steel Girder
56k views

Ha ha ha ha ha I get it. Thanks, One Piece.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

I imagine some many people walking along minding their own business until BAM! Rubber air

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Kendo scolding Monoma

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

The Adventures of Gentle ft. special guest star Deku

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

La Brava's quirk is Huey Lewis approved!

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Man, Gentle is easily my favorite 'villain' in MHA and I wish there was a spin-off based on him.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
What a great episode and mini-arc :)

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 14, 2020

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
that was the best episode of the season

edit: actually this episode and "Lamillion" are tied

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 14, 2020

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

This show good

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Nephthys posted:

Man, Gentle is easily my favorite 'villain' in MHA and I wish there was a spin-off based on him.

getting serious watemote vibes from gloomy la brava

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Gentle's backstory is basically what would have happened to Deku if he hadn't have met All Might. He would have run into a situation trying to be a hero and gotten people hurt (and probably have gotten himself killed in the process).

Hell, he did that very thing in episode two. All Might being there is the only reason he''s not a corpse already.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I love how the contrast between Gentle and Deku really makes it clear that the whole "absolute determination" thing is creepy and scary even when it's from a hero. It just shows how important All Might's smile is, no one is going to be inspired by a hero who looks like he wants to rip and tear even more peaceful criminals. Very good arc.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Zetsubou-san posted:

getting serious watemote vibes from gloomy la brava

That was my thought when watching it too.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Aww, I was hoping Deku would convince Gentle to try to break in on a non school festival day.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Gentle rules

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Gentle rules
Eh

Gentle hosed up his own life even before he got that guy hurt. He was an under achieving poor student (even though we see that when he actually puts his mind to it he can be very capable) who couldn't be satisfied just learning to do a regular job instead of continuing to fail in his hero course in school. And now he's willing to ruin the efforts of other school children, who have actually put in the work that he wouldn't when he was their age for the sake of a dream he'd forgotten until a classmate didn't remember his face.

Gentle's and La Brava make for a great story arc and great characters, but as a person? Gentle's a poo poo.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I love how Gentle gets almost exactly the same power-up Deku got in the last arc.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Aww, I was hoping Deku would convince Gentle to try to break in on a non school festival day.

That would still be a very bad thing and only make the festival look worse in hindsight.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Adder Moray posted:

Eh

Gentle hosed up his own life even before he got that guy hurt. He was an under achieving poor student (even though we see that when he actually puts his mind to it he can be very capable) who couldn't be satisfied just learning to do a regular job instead of continuing to fail in his hero course in school. And now he's willing to ruin the efforts of other school children, who have actually put in the work that he wouldn't when he was their age for the sake of a dream he'd forgotten until a classmate didn't remember his face.

Gentle's and La Brava make for a great story arc and great characters, but as a person? Gentle's a poo poo.

Never thought "actually Gentle should've accepted the fact that he's a loser, give up on his dreams and be a normal pleb instead of maybe Hero Society is wrong if it can't figure out a way to recognize some people suck at structured learning like school and tests but are clearly extremely capable at Heroics" would be a take in this thread but here we are

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Eej posted:

Never thought "actually Gentle should've accepted the fact that he's a loser, give up on his dreams and be a normal pleb instead of maybe Hero Society is wrong if it can't figure out a way to recognize some people suck at structured learning like school and tests but are clearly extremely capable at Heroics" would be a take in this thread but here we are

"Gentle should have tried harder before he crippled a man, because he's clearly able to, instead of deciding ruining a children's festival was the best way to make his dreams come true" seems pretty reasonable to me.

He didn't just fail at theoretical tests, he failed at practical application (he took the provisional license exam four times and failed all four).

And then he gave up on his "dream" anyways, until he got mad that someone he went to class with was getting famous and didn't remember him.

He then set himself to the task of learning how to use his powers in an effective way after he'd already screwed up. Which he could have done at any time previously, but didn't.

He didn't then go on to be a hero constrained by society's requirements for how one becomes a hero. He didn't try to take a licensing exam and find himself barred because of his past mistakes. He decided he'd be just as happy being remembered as a villain and went on to be a Jackass. As in the show.

He didn't even have a particularly noble dream. He wants to be remembered. So do all of us. Most of us have lines in the sand we're unwilling to cross to achieve those dreams. Grown rear end man Gentle, however, says in no uncertain terms that he's willing to crush the efforts of a bunch of children and a little girl who didn't know how to smile to achieve those dreams.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hmmmmm.

Nah, Gentle rules.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Adder Moray posted:

couldn't be satisfied just learning to do a regular job

In a world where actual superheroes exist and it's a thing you can go to school to do, I'm not sure literally anybody would be okay with just being a normal cubicle drone. It's basically admitting you're not good enough.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
gentle has no idea what the repercussions of his breaking in would be. nor should he! poo poo is wacky at that school right now

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

gentle has no idea what the repercussions of his breaking in would be. nor should he! poo poo is wacky at that school right now

Deku tells him at the start of the fight and then again during it.

EDIT: Also he says himself he's perfectly aware of all the turmoil going on at the school due to the attack during the summer training and Bakugo's kidnapping. UA is publicly on thin ice.

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 14, 2020

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Gentle's a fun villain. I like his design and voice.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lmao La Brava. "High school crush rejected me? Time for crime :qq:"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ijyt posted:

Sounds about right.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Girl incel.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

ijyt posted:

Healthier than what many of us did.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
It's hard to judge Gentle because we don't have enough insight into his highschool life to know what he did and what he was going through.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Like post in this thread?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Gentle is a dipshit. He's still a fun character, though!

Also this sorta reminded me of a Tiger & Bunny episode involving the ninja kid. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

PMush Perfect posted:

Like post in this thread?

She'll see one day wait no, I meant let's do crimes.