Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Monster Hunter: I used the Bow, I had a great time throughout.

Stellaris: it runs fine, it controls well on PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Seedge posted:

Monster Hunter: I used the Bow, I had a great time throughout.

It's the best pick, and I think the most popular, too.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

mdxi posted:

I haven't played it, but the Elite Dangerous thread is also very fond of Stellaris, and I remember people talking about the PS4 release when it happened. General consensus was that they did a surprisingly good job of mapping the controls onto the controller, and that it played well (the chief worries had been "there's no way to map all those keys onto the controller" and "it's a Paradox Grand Strategy game, won't it run like crap on a console?").

Okay cool, good to know, thanks. If it's still discounted I'll pick it up. :)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I bought Greedfall....

This game is only 12gb lol wut...

The jank is real...

Control scheme is all over the place and cant remap buttons oh god why....

Seems charming enough though!

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Buddy, you’ve got Dark Souls 3 waiting for you, a current gen Souls game by From Soft (I’m just sayin, since you liked 1 and 2 or parts of both) and you bought a Eurojank Souls-like instead??

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

fridge corn posted:

I bought Greedfall....

This game is only 12gb lol wut...

The jank is real...

Control scheme is all over the place and cant remap buttons oh god why....

Seems charming enough though!

I really don’t understand game sizes this generation. I can accept RDR2 coming in over 100gb. Madden is 55. But MGSV is 29? And then Final Fantasy X/X-2 is 32?

Are they really just letting stuff go uncompressed or do textures cause the high numbers? I remember when FFXIII came out it was huge on the PS3 because they realized Blu-ray meant they could do uncompressed audio and said go for it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Imhotep posted:

Buddy, you’ve got Dark Souls 3 waiting for you, a current gen Souls game by From Soft (I’m just sayin, since you liked 1 and 2 or parts of both) and you bought a Eurojank Souls-like instead??

I had room on the hard drive since I finished ac odyssey so it was new game time. Haven't finished dark souls 2 yet, though it's on-deck for when I get bored with greedfall

Also thought greedfall was more eurojank dragon age rather than eurojank souls

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Textures and audio. Compression can only do so much when the underlying image is 4K or larger. Audio has to be in very high quality and studios have gotten into the habit of bundling multiple localizations onto one disc instead of managing a collection of per-country variants.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Agh gently caress!!! The Surge 2 is so good

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I was gonna say audio probably, I've heard that that game has super repetitive and dumb little quips from your party members during combat, but yeh I didn't pay enough attention to know whether it was euro jank souls or dragon age, but either way, dark souls 3 is only like 17 gb or something without the DLC and it's a direct sequel to 1 rather than 2, basically you can play any of them in any order. I was just surprised by how much you liked 2, since it took me a while to get into it compared to every other Soulsborne game, but then it becomes a slog at a certain point because the game is huge, with the DLC there's so much poo poo to do in that game.

But yeah, re: install sizes I guess FF7 is going to be a 100 GB install, and it makes sense because there's a lot of music in that game and probably a ton of cool orchestral variations, but also way too much useless dialogue between Cloud and Barrett between battles, which I'm sure makes up a huge portion of the install.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Even with the obvious jank I really want to try Greedfall. The aesthetic and world makes me curious about it. But then heavily discounted since there are games like The Surge 2 and Nioh 2 higher on the list.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I am in deep with Surge 2. I beat the second boss and I got such a thrill. The combat in it is really fun. It has directional blocking so that adds a nice bit of variety.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Greedfall has some serious design issues and very real jank, but I really enjoyed playing it. The story is good and it's a pretty quick game (by open-world rpg standards anyway).

It's definitely more Eurojank Dragon Age than Eurojank Dark Souls, though.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Would anyone be interested in a (semi)regular Wipeout race tournament? Coronavirus quarantine is already getting to me.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Hope y’all don’t mind me cross-posting this from the VR thread

hey guys, I have one of the original PSVRs and haven’t touched it in a while. Like years. I dusted it off and am trying to update and I keep getting an error for update file corrupted :(

I made sure my HDMI cables are good, and everything is plugged in. Going to rebuild the database now. PS4 pro if it matters. I can see an image, it just says the unit will turn off if I don’t update it.

Errors are:
CE-40312-0
CE-41025-2

Just all related to updating the processor

-edit
Still getting errors after rebuilding the database :/ I’m on 3.10 and it wants to update to 4.10 or later and keeps restarting and saying corrupt update file. Faulty unit?

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
audio doesn't take a lot of space unless it's crazy uncompressed 5.1 or something stupid.

most things that are crazy big are because of a shitload of movie files.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Spite posted:

audio doesn't take a lot of space unless it's crazy uncompressed 5.1 or something stupid.

most things that are crazy big are because of a shitload of movie files.

Audio tends to be uncompressed for video games, largely because real-time streaming and processing are a ton more efficient with uncompressed files.

The Unreal Engine 4 editor won’t even accept anything but .wav files when you import audio.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Dewgy posted:

DJ Hero’s a decent game but they really screwed up the “making it feel like using a turntable” aspect. Most of the time you just tap the buttons or slide the cross fader. Because, you know, tapping randomly on a non-moving record is a thing that DJs do all the time.

Activision never really knew what to do with the Hero games after they bought the rights from Harmonix.

It's me, I'm the fool that really liked DJ hero and appreciated that it tried to be something different from the other DJ games at the time.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Is Citizens of Earth any good ?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Ryoga posted:

It's me, I'm the fool that really liked DJ hero and appreciated that it tried to be something different from the other DJ games at the time.

There’s other DJ games? I wasn’t making fun of the idea, or whatever but that they basically tried to make guitar hero with a like turntable peripheral.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Imhotep posted:

There’s other DJ games? I wasn’t making fun of the idea, or whatever but that they basically tried to make guitar hero with a like turntable peripheral.

There is konami's beatmania series who are the undisputed kings of the genre, ez2dj which I haven't seen a cabinet of in forever, I did recently start playing sound voltex as well. Your pretty SOL if you don't have an arcade scene in your area for this genre.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I thought beatmania was just hitting buttons and had nothing to do with DJing

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Imhotep posted:

I was gonna say audio probably, I've heard that that game has super repetitive and dumb little quips from your party members during combat, but yeh I didn't pay enough attention to know whether it was euro jank souls or dragon age, but either way, dark souls 3 is only like 17 gb or something without the DLC and it's a direct sequel to 1 rather than 2, basically you can play any of them in any order. I was just surprised by how much you liked 2, since it took me a while to get into it compared to every other Soulsborne game, but then it becomes a slog at a certain point because the game is huge, with the DLC there's so much poo poo to do in that game.

But yeah, re: install sizes I guess FF7 is going to be a 100 GB install, and it makes sense because there's a lot of music in that game and probably a ton of cool orchestral variations, but also way too much useless dialogue between Cloud and Barrett between battles, which I'm sure makes up a huge portion of the install.

That's where I'm at in Dark Souls 2 - somewhere in the sloggy middle, and it's why I got bored and feel reluctant to pick it back up

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
The daft punk chat gave me a full on aneurysm, Jesus Christ. I don't even know where to start.

I've been playing ff12 a lot and I can't believe how big it is, I'm at 4x speed and it's just pacing. I'd finished ff7-9 by now with speedup but I feel like I'm only just getting going with the story in this.
I feel really bad for people who played this on ps2 without the speedup. That must have been painful.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I had my first ever run-in with the blood starved beast today. :smug:

I ran the gently caress away.

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

Achmed Jones posted:

I thought beatmania was just hitting buttons and had nothing to do with DJing

One of the buttons is scratching a turntable, at least

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Highest Cactus posted:

One of the buttons is scratching a turntable, at least

The short lived Beatmania 3 also had effector pedals and knobs too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Fix posted:

I had my first ever run-in with the blood starved beast today. :smug:

He’s a cute hoppy dog with floppy ears who just wants to touch you with his paws

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Imhotep posted:

It's nothing like a Souls game other than having some vaguely Bloodborne looking monster designs

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yeah greedfall is an rear end effect game.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I think Imhotep is attempting a deep troll between that and the daft punk bit.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Fix posted:

I'd say you should try running to the left instead.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Nah I legitimately thought that greedfall was a eurojank souls like, I get it and immortal: unchained and like one other game mixed up a lot. And I know that corn fridge, notorious bad video game liker and goon who likes mass effect andromeda and then posting about being bored with actual critically acclaimed games. Until he played ds1 and 2 and posted several times about how great each game was, and owns 3 but hasn’t played it yet.

Also I was just stoned last night and like the only other thing I do aside from video games is make electronic music, and listen to it and DJ mixes, so I was legitimately shocked that daft punk did something so good. Then I was like trying to explain why my post sounded like a bit, and because I just get riled up and excited when I hear DJ Deeon regardless.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

'DJ' here, DJHero isn't a game about what a DJ does, not even one like me who just mostly links one track to the next and jumping around from genre to genre to keep things interesting.

Platter has 3 buttons, each one playing a section of the pre-mixed track. It's literally hit the button to play each one but you then need to tap, scratch each part, cross fade between sections and hard difficulties add in cuts. Sounds simple but really isn't as it throws a lot at you on the harder tracks which then ramp up in difficulty MASSIVELY at higher difficulties. The music drops out in whichever section you gently caress up in and the panic as your brain tries to keep up with what's going on despite it already being behind is p.cool. You just have to wait a second and reset instead of just blindly hoping you can get it back.

It's very much not how to DJ anything but if you love music games and enjoy cool mashups of dance music then there's a lot of fun to be had with it (there was a Wolfgang Gartner music pack at one point which was super cool). If you've played music games before then it's likely you'll be able to walk any track you play first time at medium. It's at harder levels where the real test begins. Noisia/Scratch Perverts's Groundhog is a fantastic track but also stupid hard, it has so much going on and it seems like it lasts forever while you're struggling to keep up. The game is definitely worth picking up, the controller is a solid bit of kit and the music selection is honestly great.

*edit: guy playing Groundhog on expert
https://youtu.be/1PMbGB7XqaQ

He makes it look easy, it really isn't. There's a LOT going on, the 3rd section of the track adds in off-beat parts, directional scratches immediately before crossfades and the 4th section is just obscene. The top comment about people thinking it looks easy is probably the most accurate YouTube comment ever, it's brutally difficult.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Mar 15, 2020

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Been having a good time with Death Stranding as a break from the frantic stress of bloodborne. I'm only just finished chapter 3 and I'm 17 hours in.

Still a long long way to go.

Had a great freakout moment this morning when Higgs appeared in the mirror in a safe room.

Games great!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Put a few more hours into Greedfall. Getting the hang of the controls and the combat, though it looks like it wont come into its own until I manage to unlock a few more toys.

The aesthetic is cool, the writing is fairly decent and the facial animations are well.. certainly not any worse than mass effect Andromeda !!

Liking this game so far

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

DJ Hero didn’t fail because it’s a bad game, it failed because everyone had Guitar Hero fatigue after Activision ran that poo poo into the ground, nobody wanted yet another ugly plastic peripheral and guitars are allready much more universal than a dj setup.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Death Stranding is a shockingly accurate portrayal of the United States Cities of America in April 2020

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I am in deep with Surge 2. I beat the second boss and I got such a thrill. The combat in it is really fun. It has directional blocking so that adds a nice bit of variety.

I’m so bad at the directional parrying, I can’t figure out the timing at all.

I’m at the blue spark med area with a few shortcuts open (almost to terminal z)but there is an area with like 5 spark guys that just gently caress me up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Death Stranding is a shockingly accurate portrayal of the United States Cities of America in April 2020

Inaccurate: nobody tips their amazon delivery guy