Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Inacio posted:

the sick fucks.

Can you get a Doobie dog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
So aside from Great Escaping down a derpy tunnel, these will be the official ways out of prison?

quote:

Release Reasoning

criminal_database_playername=temp player name

criminal_database_prison_reason_001=[PH] Exonerated

criminal_database_prison_reason_002=[PH] Medical Release

criminal_database_prison_reason_003=[PH] Humanitarian Parole

criminal_database_prison_reason_004=[PH] Imperial Pardon

criminal_database_prison_reason_005=[PH] Parole Granted By Board

criminal_database_prison_reason_006=[PH] Sentence Commutation

So what, you can break your leg and get out? Tell a guard your tortoise died? Bribe someone? (Or if you haven't bought enough creds, just work the mines...)

Are they really expecting anyone who's into criminal gameplay to spend a chunk of time doing this?

It's making Elite's 'transport you several systems away for bumping into a cop' system look painless.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Once you spend lifetime there, you will catch cancer nearing old age and be "Medical Release"d.

All in real time, of course. Most fidelitious 60 years of gameplay you'll ever witness.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Once you spend lifetime there, you will catch cancer nearing old age and be "Medical Release"d.

All in real time, of course. Most fidelitious 60 years of gameplay you'll ever witness.

Hmmm. One thing CIG could perfect is the Therac-25.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Pixelate posted:

So aside from Great Escaping down a derpy tunnel, these will be the official ways out of prison?

So what, you can break your leg and get out? Tell a guard your tortoise died? Bribe someone? (Or if you haven't bought enough creds, just work the mines...)

Are they really expecting anyone who's into criminal gameplay to spend a chunk of time doing this?

It's making Elite's 'transport you several systems away for bumping into a cop' system look painless.
I would expect that easy way out would be suiciding and respawning and the difficult one would be glitching through the floor avoiding deadly prison doors.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Inacio posted:

the sick fucks.

mite put it on the menu

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Dwesa posted:

I would expect that easy way out would be suiciding and respawning and the difficult one would be glitching through the floor avoiding deadly prison doors.

"I spent ten years in the slammer for murder - how'd you manage to get released early?"

I ran at the doors real fast.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Foo Diddley posted:

No they won't. These are just Tier 0 prisons; the actually working ones are yet to come, keep on pledging

It’s actually kinda fun that they’re releasing known broken implementations to jazz up sales.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

I always thought that CIG shouldn’t have caved to the SJWs by having female characters at all. Star Citizen should just be a universe full of manly Uberspacemen, with chiseled square chins, rippling toned muscles, and steely eyes that hide tender and tortured souls. You could gently comfort your NPC first mate on your Idirs after a particularly tough battle with the Vandul, wiping away the one streaming tear off the corner of his eye and slowly caressing his uhm.... Yep just a 100 percent straight universe full of nothing but men...

Chuck Tingle could have written the best space opera story for this game.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
So let me get this straight- Erin (who is based in UK) is handing off heading up Sq42 to Brian (who is based in Germany) right?

So is Brian moving to the UK?

Or are the devs working on SQ54 moving to Germany?

Or are the teams staying put and switching work from one to the other?

Either way, this all seems like a very efficient way to make games, and a good use of backer dollars. It was very smart of Chris to spread out his studio across several countries on several continents.

Time to buy an Idris.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
My takeaway from this is that the groundwork is being laid to remove Chris from the project, or at least gut his influence. SQ42 and SC have always been in the hands of this or that guy over the last near decade, but they didn't draw this much attention to it. This was a deliberate and very public labeling of who's in charge of each piece, both halves of the project mentioned in the same announcement.

Original Concept incoming.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

The Titanic posted:

Chuck Tingle could have written the best space opera story for this game.

Pounded in the Butt by My Idris

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Will you lose all your "proceeds of crime" stuff for added realism?

Will your best mate be knocking a slice off your missus while you are doing time?

These are important questions that need asking.

For a friend, not me.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:reddit:1: They dont buy the product, they buy what it will be one day. You know this.

:reddit:2: It's still a product. Whether you are buying what it is now or what it is 100 years from now.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

My takeaway from this is that the groundwork is being laid to remove Chris from the project, or at least gut his influence. SQ42 and SC have always been in the hands of this or that guy over the last near decade, but they didn't draw this much attention to it. This was a deliberate and very public labeling of who's in charge of each piece, both halves of the project mentioned in the same announcement.

Yeah I’m really thinking more and more that the whole Roberts family is walking away from this mess, either purposefully or due to pressure from their investors. Sandi is long gone and never even mentioned, Erin is no longer in charge of SQ42 and hasn’t been seen for months, Chris has barely been seen for a year now, other than at CitCon. I’m waiting for the next shoe to drop and Chris to change his title to “creative consultant” and put in some poor stooge as president and CEO.

What did they say Erin’s new position is? I missed that part of the video.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 14, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
As someone who only occasionally lurks this thread when I see a title change, what is the looming cluster gently caress happening this time?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

As someone who only occasionally lurks this thread when I see a title change, what is the looming cluster gently caress happening this time?

In this, we honour the fallen. DapperDon is no longer with us, as shared a few pages ago by Bootcha.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Arcsquad12 posted:

A long time poster here passed away, it is our small way of saluting him.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well that sucks. I was hoping it would be some schadenfreude CIG-related PR disaster.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i mean, technically you'll be able to eat and poo poo in the next update i guess

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

I really like the last one with elevator buttons, it just makes sense

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Scruffpuff posted:

Oof... that would be a kick in the yarbles for CR, if he has any yarbles that is.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing we won't see Chris again until CitCon. It seems pretty clear at this point he is no longer in charge but they can't outright fire him cause that would piss off the backers who have bought in on the Chris Roberts super game dev narrative. He's gonna collect a paycheck, have pointless meetings where he makes arbitrary "creative" choices like what colour suit an NPC wears and then get put on stage to bumble about for an hour every CitCon and that's it.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

colonelwest posted:

What did they say Erin’s new position is? I missed that part of the video.

Perhaps its Master of Ships. He seems to be filling out for the now vacant roll... erm, i mean role.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Snazzy Frocks posted:

If they add a horse mask in and I sit at the bar with it on the bartender better fuckin ask me "why the long face?"

Plot twist: Celine Dion has just walked in behind you.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sarsapariller posted:

Now hold the gently caress on, this here is a statement that warrants a moment's consideration.

The sole defining feature of 3.9, the only thing they didn't cut, is so incomplete and bad that the solution to engaging with it is to wipe your account.

Excuse me what the gently caress. Sure am glad that they made "Avoid committing a crime" an option, and not basically impossible based on 90% of the missions and half the game being set up to give you infractions if you do more than fly around. Seriously it is completely unavoidable. I saw that part of it coming from a mile away- but even I couldn't predict that they'd just go ahead and push the feature without bothering to make it playable.

This is kind of their MO.

Playable or functional has always been secondary to putting out some half baked features so they can hit a marketing bullet point and make a bunch of twitter posts about how people have been enjoying prison gameplay for years now and prison escape counts in the thousands on a nice cool looking chart.

You know it's coming. They probably already have the graphs and marketing pictures already made. :)

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Agony Aunt posted:

Plot twist: Celine Dion has just walked in behind you.

Plot twist twist: Alanis Morrisette and Ruud van Nistlerooy already sitting at the bar.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How can they realistically play the coronavirus card? If there is one industry perfectly suited to maintaining operations without impact during a quarantine scenario its software development.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

commando in tophat posted:

I really like the last one with elevator buttons, it just makes sense

Yeah, when in a hotel I tend to hit floor 9 button for the lobby.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Agony Aunt posted:

How can they realistically play the coronavirus card? If there is one industry perfectly suited to maintaining operations without impact during a quarantine scenario its software development.

You kind of answered your own question.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well that sucks. I was hoping it would be some schadenfreude CIG-related PR disaster.

They telegraphed their latest (entirely predictable) debacle yesterday — that Squadron 42 is completely off rails and has no hope of hitting Beta by Summer as originally claimed in their late 2018 PR junket.

Squadron was at first Chris’s baby (at launch), then Erin’s (at the Foundry 42 announcement), then Chris’s (at the 2015 star-studded mo-cap summer), then Erin’s again for a few years after.

Clive Calder invested $46 million in mid-2018, with Chris taking a big PR victory lap to announce it to the world. Finally, the end was in sight. Erin popped up in early 2019 to let everyone know that they really trusted their roadmaps now, they’d finally put aside overly ambitious plans and had a game plan they could stick to, and Summer 2020 beta was pretty much a foregone conclusion.

Yet as it has approached, Chris and Erin have receded from view. The Roadmaps Erin told us were so trustworthy have fallen apart, and the new faces of the project (benchwarmer Nick Elms and rock god Brian Chambers) were trotted out on camera yesterday to basically shrug their way through one excuse after the other as to why their good as gold roadmaps once again lead them to nowhere, and slowly.

This has been variations on a theme since 2014. Six years of “overly optimistic” public guidance followed by excuses followed by new “overly optimistic” guidance, etc.

The big difference these days is they sold a billionaire a 10% stake in this disaster in 2018. He is their biggest whale, and unlike all the other whales Chris has bilked and milked over the years, he’s probably not taking so kindly to being chumpatized by Chris. We don’t have much line of sight into the goings-on, but it seems a safe bet that controls are being asserted due to Chris failing to hit the very public targets he sold Calder & Co. on in 2018. But yesterday’s update sure looked pathetic. Chris loves taking the spotlight when the news appears good, but when it’s especially dismal (such as with the nearly year long delay of Alpha 3.0), he sends the minions out wring their hands and plead for patience and understanding. Which he did on yesterday’s cringefest of an update.

To be continued...

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Yes, but is Star Citizen good?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

G0RF posted:

The big difference these days is they sold a billionaire a 10% stake in this disaster in 2018. He is their biggest whale, and unlike all the other whales Chris has bilked and milked over the years, he’s probably not taking so kindly to being chumpatized by Chris. We don’t have much line of sight into the goings-on, but it seems a safe bet that controls are being asserted due to Chris failing to hit the very public targets he sold Calder & Co. on in 2018. But yesterday’s update sure looked pathetic. Chris loves taking the spotlight when the news appears good, but when it’s especially dismal (such as with the nearly year long delay of Alpha 3.0), he sends the minions out wring their hands and plead for patience and understanding. Which he did on yesterday’s cringefest of an update.

You keep saying this but this is Hellworld where a gibbering orange mouth breather can inflict a plague on the entire US and receive praise for it.

The Calder's are probably just fine with their investment because the whole operation continues to print money on the backs of idiot whales

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Kosumo posted:

Yes, but is Star Citizen

star citizen isn't.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
"When you're married sometimes you need to swindle a deal"

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral
Is it time yet for us all to start wearing clear plastic bags on our heads just like Chris foresaw?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

You keep saying this but this is Hellworld where a gibbering orange mouth breather can inflict a plague on the entire US and receive praise for it.

The Calder's are probably just fine with their investment because the whole operation continues to print money on the backs of idiot whales

The 46 million dollar question is what did the Calders expected to get out of this investment? Was it all just a tax write-off that they don’t give a poo poo about? (46 million is walking around money to them)Do they count pledges as “profit” and take a piece of the action? Do they expect to cash in on some sort of amazing hit when SQ42 releases on multiple platforms and sells 12 million copies? Are they just hedging on this whole project falling apart and then taking over CIG to either repurpose it or sell it off?

Everything we’ve seen so far could be explained simply by Chris, Erin and Sandi seeing the handwriting on the wall and one by one heading for the exits Lord British style. Even for Chris and Erin this must be getting old. There’s no real smoking gun that the Calders are taking control behind the scenes, but it’s certainly just as plausible.

Star Citizen is always an enigma though, because it has defied all of the rules and general trajectory of the hundreds of failed crowdfunded projects that have come before and since. By now any other project so horribly mismanaged would have long since exhausted it’s funding and have gone into a very obvious contraction, as the entire community turned on it. But with Star Citizen, after 8 years of lies and incompetence, their are still broken brain idiots pouring millions of dollars on a very obvious dumpster fire. As long as that continues, there is no incentive for whoever is in charge to completely wind things down. I can honestly envision a scenario in which 10 years from now they’re still pulling in low seven figures a year while a skeleton crew of devs pumps out new art assets every quarter.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 14, 2020

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Bootcha posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen, Goons and Observers, it saddens me to inform you that one of our own has passed away.

DapperDon died from a heart attack on the way to the hospital. He is survived by his wife.

Don was a frequent contributor on the ARGCast as well as this thread, and sometimes ventured into the wilds of Reddit.

We have lost a voice in the chorus of the great Star Citizen oral history. I am ashamed to say I did not know him well enough, but many here did and made friendships with him that will affect them past his death.

Don wasn't just goon shitposting about Star Citizen. He was a dog daddy, of 4 at the same time at one point. He made animal baths. He was an avid woodcrafter. An enthusiastic snowmobiler. A lover of visual gags. And by many reports a great cook.

I am poorer for his absence, as will us in this little corner of the world.

The bad news just won't stop. I'm really, really sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

Is it time yet for us all to start wearing clear plastic bags on our heads just like Chris foresaw?