Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Infertility doesn't last very long in a population, as it's not an inheritable trait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Evening Standard in a few days' time

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Jel Shaker posted:

If it’s beer related I wonder if it might be an allergy, I seem to sneeze a lot with real ales

nah its just drinking generally or at least at home lol

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Ms Adequate posted:

e; I regret to see I was beaten over and over

You don't regret it.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I like how in all these "flatten the curve" diagrams they show some kind of surplus capacity in the healthcare system like it's not already balls-to-the-wall.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
My friend is on the northern line and she is the only person in her carriage, and the next one is completely empty, at 8.30 on a Saturday night. Looks like they might as well start taking proper steps because their revolting plan isn't working anyway.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

You don't regret it.

oh gently caress lmao

I'm so seen

Also kind of heartening to see that a good chunk of people are just trying to do their best to slow this thing down even with governments being complete (bio)weapons

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Tfw neoliberalism demands that the elderly population die so that the ideology may continue but the only people who support your ideology are all the elderly.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I went out for a walk today down the canals in Tottenham, thinking it'll be fine as long as I never take the bus and give everyone a wide berth.

Surprisingly lots of people out and the pubs were packed, old people included. Utter insanity.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Azza Bamboo posted:

I like how in all these "flatten the curve" diagrams they show some kind of surplus capacity in the healthcare system like it's not already balls-to-the-wall.

from this Medium article on the US which isn't by a medical professional but gets the point across

and if you take into account that most of the beds will already be in use, eek

(ed: dark red line shows ICU capacity in the US, and the curve models critical cases only)

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 14, 2020

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Azza Bamboo posted:

There's surplus capacity if you just stop doing the small unneccessary things like joint replacements, cancer treatments, that kind of thing. Nothing really essential.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

CGI Stardust posted:

from this Medium article on the US which isn't by a medical professional but gets the point across

Oh wow the USA is absolutely hosed.

Oh no wait we're even more hosed. Welp.

namesake fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 14, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I mean, most joint replacements ARE nonessential, to be fair.

There's a lot of elective surgery that can easily be delayed if necessary for emergency reasons. (And frequently is, of course)

Lumping that in with cancer treatments seems a little odd.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

CGI Stardust posted:

gently caress me. So to avoid unnecessary deaths they'd have to slow the infection to the point where it took about 12 years to finish?

And the US has more ICU capacity per capita than the UK?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
My parents in the UK are almost entirely unconcerned about either the likelihood of being infected or the consequences if they are. I know their chances are pretty good even if they do get hit, but it's still frustrating. My entire region of Norway is practically shut down and everyone I know is taking it extremely seriously even though they're mostly in a demographic who can just shrug off an infection, but the UK government's response means that the people in the most vulnerable age brackets are blithely doing their best to put their lives on the roulette wheel.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

namesake posted:

Oh wow the USA is absolutely hosed.

We're merely heavily in deep loving trouble.

gently caress me. So to avoid unnecessary deaths they'd have to slow the infection to the point where it took about 12 years to finish?

Worth bearing in mind this isn't a proper official model, but it gets across how the "flattening the line" diagrams are perhaps just a tad misleading

I wonder if China would be willing to send us some help if we apologise for what we've done in the past

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

This info is partially outdated but I somehow doubt in the last decade that we have managed to rocket up the rankings;

:yikes:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1238935235968086018?s=19

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Ms Adequate posted:

This info is partially outdated but I somehow doubt in the last decade that we have managed to rocket up the rankings;

It's critical care beds versus just beds so there may be some measurement issues going on there but we seem to have dramatically reduced our beds since then if they are comparable.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

CGI Stardust posted:

I wonder if China would be willing to send us some help if we apologise for what we've done in the past
I'm sure they'd send some painkillers :kiddo:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i can't bring myself to care if i should get it but i know i differ from most goons. i really hope people like jedit don't though

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Watch gently caress all happen; the proles will die, the virus will eventually fade and boris and tories will get the benefit of the doubt AGAIN even as the memories of the dead being buried linger

this country sucks

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA4KS546rZo

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Tfw neoliberalism demands that the elderly population die so that the ideology may continue but the only people who support your ideology are all the elderly.

And tbqh even the olds don't have the same ideology, you just hijacked the old traditionalist nationalist party and somehow got away with it. None of the actual elderly are voting for Thatcherite policies, they're voting for people with Thatcherite policies because they've somehow gotten in charge of Churchill's party and the entire political-media establishment has come together to trumpet 'THIS IS FINE!' Outside of a few freaks, a vanishingly small minority of direct beneficiaries, and some media/political freeloaders, neoliberalism isn't a popular ideology. It's just good at pretending it's everything it isn't.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
who the absolute gently caress spells wipe with an h

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Jose posted:

i can't bring myself to care if i should get it but i know i differ from most goons. i really hope people like jedit don't though

you may occasionally be within six feet of or touch surfaces that will also be touched by people like jedit at some point so you should probably care at least a little bit

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

who the absolute gently caress spells wipe with an h

A dutch dude that works in a toilet paper warehouse?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Posh people.

Tristan hand me the hwipe please.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's actually silent like in historian.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Jippa posted:

A dutch dude that works in a toilet paper warehouse?

I loved the subtitled "laughter in dutch".

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Guavanaut posted:

:golfclap:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

I'd have been very surprised if you did, you've got a track record of no fear, less common sense, which I admire.

Have to say I kind of share the blase attitude to a degree. Like, I'm coughing in my elbow and washing my hands thoroughly but if the football was on today I might have gone because County vs Accies is an important game.

Part of it is just I'm not much of a social beast at the best of times so apart from sitting on the bus the whole social separation thing of at least a metre away from folk is bae bother really. I'm not really intending a night on the town but I usually can't be arsed with that anyway because no where let's me and my immaculate taste control the music.

As for Twitter, I tend to have an extremely detached attitude that hellsite so it no longer induces the fear in me. But that's only because I drastically cut down the amount of dumb melty cunts I followed to just the real dumb ones like Hodges.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 14, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It likely makes little difference to me if I get it but I'd rather not get it early and still have to go to work and then give everyone else it.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Guavanaut posted:

turning the old bingo halls into fentanyl dens

vvv love to be living in a movie. it's really fun

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 14, 2020

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/privowen/status/1238916943802961920

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

About to fly 30h Brazil-LHR-Hong Kong, wish me luck. Right now just hoping that HK doesn’t throw a last minute government quarantine requirement on the UK. I haven’t seen my family for months, just hope that I can get home before International travel grinds completely to a halt.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Ms Adequate posted:

Here's some more recent and relevant numbers.

https://twitter.com/Robert_t_Orr/status/1238128189123239936

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

I watched the whole thing hoping to see it all go up in flames in the last five seconds.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

I'd have been very surprised if you did, you've got a track record of no fear, less common sense, which I admire.

i wish my brain could be like that all the time instead of what should be my impending doom. would mean i'd not be on a sertraline prescription and the like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So I just heard the UK is trying to speedrun the coronavirus???

Is this right? You all can't seriously be actively trying to steepen the curve right?