Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I just came back to this thread to post about one I posted about years ago but only just encountered again this past weekend...only to find that I never actually posted about it. Whoops.

It was Taito's Frontline, which I encountered in the back room of an ice cream joint in Newfoundland, PA in the early 90s, and for some reason I could swear it was by Atari, which meant I was using the wrong filter when I went looking for it in MAME. Welp, that's that solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Ok, so this SNES era game (maybe not actually on the SNES) never left Japan, I think. It's kinda set in a swords and sorcery fantasy world. You got the hero, you got the devil king, you got the kidnapped princess. Except the game opens with the ending. They're all at the end of the last dungeon, the hero and the devil king are fighting in front of the captive princess. The two take each other out, and as the game begins you take control of the princess and have to escape the last dungeon in reverse. It has some combat, but it seemed to be more of a puzzle game.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Ok, so this SNES era game (maybe not actually on the SNES) never left Japan, I think. It's kinda set in a swords and sorcery fantasy world. You got the hero, you got the devil king, you got the kidnapped princess. Except the game opens with the ending. They're all at the end of the last dungeon, the hero and the devil king are fighting in front of the captive princess. The two take each other out, and as the game begins you take control of the princess and have to escape the last dungeon in reverse. It has some combat, but it seemed to be more of a puzzle game.

Götzendiener

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLez1I98Ql4

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Thank you. Now I can go to bed without the question keeping me up at night.

Also I totally forgot it was Gainax that made the game. I vaguely remembered there being something odd about the studio that made it....

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Hello thread, I would like some help remembering the name of a game I last played at least 25 years ago. Here's hoping that I actually remember it well enough for anyone to recognize it from the description, lol.

It's an old game, 2D sprites. The game itself is tile-based. You start off as a single ship somewhere close to the coast of an island/continent. You have a certain amount of resources and money you are granted by your nation and what you need to do is to find a good spot to plop down a new port town/colony. Once that is done, you need to make money by trading and you can send out expeditions in-land to help you do that. You control the little expedition man yourself and can walk him around the map wit h the arrow keys. I do not think there were any mouse inputs, but I might be wrong.

It isn't Conquest of the New World, but it's very conceptually similar. The game I am thinking of was older than that, though.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Colonization?
https://www.gog.com/game/sid_meiers_colonization

4 inch cut no femmes fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 12, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'm afraid not, but looking at screenshots that's already very close! It was more a trading sim than that kind of strategy game, though. You could only ever have one colony and only control that single unit you used for exploration. While you explored, the rest of the game was on hold as I remember it. The expedition lasted until you ran out of food, I think?

Oh, and I think the map wasn't based on anything real-world like that, so that's another thing that might help.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Memory's real fuzzy, but could it be uncharted waters?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm thinking of a lovely Doom clone, from right around the time Doom was first released. It was set underground, and mostly black except for glowy blue minerals in the rock walls. You got three weapons in the shareware episode: an energy pistol, an energy SMG, and a flame gun that worked just like the SMG except bigger and flamey. Aside from killing generic guards, you were supposed to find slave miners and teleport them to safety. There was no music or voice clips. The bad guys were called "Ri" and the slaves were called "Oras." What was this stupid game called, and why is it in my head all of a sudden? Is it just something my dad's friend made to put on his BBS?

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 13, 2020

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Friend of mine is trying to identify a game with really vague memories:

- likely 00s era PC game
- narrated by a creepy witch sort of voice
- you follow the story of a young girl's 13th(?) birthday party alongside her disposable teen friends
- there's a part where the elevator is dropping and you get a death if you don't choose to climb out of the elevator
- seems to be a kind of visual novel thing, entirely dialogue driven, but its in 3D, with full cutscenes. Extremely janky 3D
- She thinks there's a route where the boyfriend character gets turned into a zombie

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

I'm thinking of a lovely Doom clone, from right around the time Doom was first released. It was set underground, and mostly black except for glowy blue minerals in the rock walls. You got three weapons in the shareware episode: an energy pistol, an energy SMG, and a flame gun that worked just like the SMG except bigger and flamey. Aside from killing generic guards, you were supposed to find slave miners and teleport them to safety. There was no music or voice clips. The bad guys were called "Ri" and the slaves were called "Oras." What was this stupid game called, and why is it in my head all of a sudden? Is it just something my dad's friend made to put on his BBS?

Depth Dwellers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cYekAShxRQ

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Thank you for giving me closure

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

I'm trying to remember the name of an old text based computer game (circa 80s- early 90s). You're playing a guy trapped on a failing space station who has a set of robots who can help out, but they're not amazingly programmed -- the one can only see things, another can only hear things, another can only describe things in strange poetry...

Sound familiar to any goons out there?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

That's Infocom's Suspended.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Beaten, but I'll add that it had an amazing box. A 3D "mask" in the front of the cover art, so that the eyes would seem to follow you.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Yes, that's it!

I'd been trying to find a copy for my partner, and she's going to be quite excited/terrified playing it.

Thanks so much!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I was gonna guess Planetfall/Stationfall. It definitely sounded like an Infocom game.

And yeah, Infocom games came with the absolute best physical items like that. They really put a lot of effort into it.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
While we're talking about Suspended, I'll just mention that I've recently been reading an excellent blog that goes through the entire history of interactive fiction games (and related genres such as CRPGs, visual novels, really anything narrative driven), starting from the late 70s and all the way through to the 90s. It covers both the games themselves, and the companies and individuals who created them. I just recently got up to the entry on Suspended so was reminded of it.

https://www.filfre.net/sitemap/ - the entire blog, still being updated a few times a month after nearly a decade. Skip the first three entries, they're unrelated.

https://www.filfre.net/2013/03/suspended/ - the entry on Suspended

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 14, 2020

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Dip Viscous posted:

Beaten, but I'll add that it had an amazing box. A 3D "mask" in the front of the cover art, so that the eyes would seem to follow you.

This is cool as poo poo. And I thought Origin made the best "feelies" (I fuckin' hate that word) with the rune bag in UW1 and the notepad & star map in Planet's Edge. I never got into or owned any Infocom games unfortunately.

I'm sure there's better poo poo that I'm forgetting but I miss standard editions including what you have to pay like $100+ for now in a
Kickstarter campaign tier.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

The Joe Man posted:

This is cool as poo poo. And I thought Origin made the best "feelies" (I fuckin' hate that word) with the rune bag in UW1 and the notepad & star map in Planet's Edge. I never got into or owned any Infocom games unfortunately.

If memory serves, the word you hate is Infocom's fault in the first place. I'm not 100% sure if they pioneered it but it was definitely them who made it an expected part of fancy adventures.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Maybe they yoinked it from Brave New World

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Gnoman posted:

Memory's real fuzzy, but could it be uncharted waters?
I don't think so, no. I don't remember any real plot or any of those opening cutscenes that I found on searching for that name, but I do admit, that also looks very close.

Man, I had no idea that there were so many games of that type during that era. This is probably going to be harder than I thought.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't think so, no. I don't remember any real plot or any of those opening cutscenes that I found on searching for that name, but I do admit, that also looks very close.

Man, I had no idea that there were so many games of that type during that era. This is probably going to be harder than I thought.

The game didn't happened to be called Exploration did it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsHCu7VB87w

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Trying to remember an old PC investigation? game. It was something old enough that it ran on a Macintosh Classic. I remember it being pretty point and click, and the start of it involved flying around and seeing physical descriptions and maybe alibis of suspects.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
That's... vague as hell.

The only thing I can think of that remotely resembles that is Deja Vu, but I don't think that's it.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Not on Macintosh, but Mean Streets had a private investigator with a flying car.

Twilkitri
Feb 23, 2013
It kind of sounds like the original Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego for particular interpretations of flying around/etc. There was a version for the Macintosh.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Zerilan posted:

Trying to remember an old PC investigation? game. It was something old enough that it ran on a Macintosh Classic. I remember it being pretty point and click, and the start of it involved flying around and seeing physical descriptions and maybe alibis of suspects.

Sounds like it could be Sid Meier's Covert Action.

Immediate edit: ...But that wasn't on Mac and probably not old enough besides. Hrm.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 21, 2020

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Cardiovorax posted:

Hello thread, I would like some help remembering the name of a game I last played at least 25 years ago. Here's hoping that I actually remember it well enough for anyone to recognize it from the description, lol.

It's an old game, 2D sprites. The game itself is tile-based. You start off as a single ship somewhere close to the coast of an island/continent. You have a certain amount of resources and money you are granted by your nation and what you need to do is to find a good spot to plop down a new port town/colony. Once that is done, you need to make money by trading and you can send out expeditions in-land to help you do that. You control the little expedition man yourself and can walk him around the map wit h the arrow keys. I do not think there were any mouse inputs, but I might be wrong.

It isn't Conquest of the New World, but it's very conceptually similar. The game I am thinking of was older than that, though.

Could it be 7 Cities of Gold? (For better google hits try "7 cities of gold game")

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Think I figured it out. It was Moriarty's Revenge/Return. An apparently quickly recalled Mac game that didn't even merit a red link on the wikipedia list for game releases in its year.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

not so much a game as an application but hopefully close enough

an art program from around the mid 90s that had a stylized UI with drawers and such, lots of wood. IIRC it had a sort of time lapse feature, but I don't remember whether it was accessible to the user or just used for demonstrating example art. this would have been for the mac.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

CYBEReris posted:

an art program from around the mid 90s that had a stylized UI with drawers and such, lots of wood. IIRC it had a sort of time lapse feature, but I don't remember whether it was accessible to the user or just used for demonstrating example art. this would have been for the mac.

I had the program as well I can't remember though. It's on the tip of my tongue. Pretty sure it was on pc as well.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Pulsarcat posted:

The game didn't happened to be called Exploration did it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsHCu7VB87w

iSurrender posted:

Could it be 7 Cities of Gold? (For better google hits try "7 cities of gold game")
I don't think it was either of these, but at this point even I'm not really sure any more. It was a long time ago and there were apparently a whole lot more games of that sort back then than I'd ever have guessed. I can't really remember anything more specific than I've already said and there seems to be a pretty long list of games that might fit such a vague description, so I'll just see if I can't find it on my own time on some Wiki page about 90s retro sailing games sometime. Thanks to everyone who tried, though!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

CYBEReris posted:

I dont remember it very well, but any chance it was Flying Colors?

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

cmndstab posted:

While we're talking about Suspended, I'll just mention that I've recently been reading an excellent blog that goes through the entire history of interactive fiction games (and related genres such as CRPGs, visual novels, really anything narrative driven), starting from the late 70s and all the way through to the 90s. It covers both the games themselves, and the companies and individuals who created them. I just recently got up to the entry on Suspended so was reminded of it.

https://www.filfre.net/sitemap/ - the entire blog, still being updated a few times a month after nearly a decade. Skip the first three entries, they're unrelated.

https://www.filfre.net/2013/03/suspended/ - the entry on Suspended

This site has the best long form write up on the game Trinity by infocom as well as the history of the nuke development.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Danaru posted:

I dont remember it very well, but any chance it was Flying Colors?

I remember that program and that definitely wasn't it. The animated gradients were hot poo poo at the time tho

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm trying to remember a space fighter game I played a little over a decade ago. It was pretty open-ended, so apart from the campaign, I could run around being a pirate or trader or do patrols for different factions. Pretty sure I installed some mod that expanded the universe/opportunities quite a bit. I know it's not one the X-series games, but beyond that I'm stumped.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If it's got hefty mod support but isn't an X, could it be Freelancer or Wing Commander: Privateer? I know those would be pretty easy to remember.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Oh hey thanks, I think it could have been Freelancer with something called the Crossfire mod.

E: I spent like an hour last night researching the Freespace games and being extremely confused because they didn't resemble what I remembered at all. It was called Freelancer, go figure. That sure was confusing.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
So I'm trying to remember the name of a game where you play as an AI/Supercomputer and the entire objective of the game is to take over the world, but you can't be noticed because they'd just come physically shut you down. I think it may have been a flash game - anyone have any ideas on what it is, or any games like it?