Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Had to pass a foil Storm Crow in mystery booster draft tonight, feels bad man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Got passed a sliver hivelord and 2 almmarets archives. pretty easy to pick those over mediocre draft chaff on pick 2 and 3 of a pack.For some reason I took a Beast Within on pick 11 because there were no cards for my colors. 2 people at my table were playing green.

I got Sarkhan The Mad foil, Gilt-Leaf Palace and Expropirate in my 2 prize packs. LOL at Gilt-Leaf Palace being less then $3 now. Kolaghan's Command and Collective Brutality are both sub $6. If you want something from the set buy it now. Or wait a few days, prices might drop once more cards hit the internet next week from weekend drafts and internet box purchases getting delivered next week.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It definitely seems like a format where you can just take rares that are worth money from people who don't know they're worth money. I got a P2P2 foil Sen Triplets.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Entropic posted:

It definitely seems like a format where you can just take rares that are worth money from people who don't know they're worth money. I got a P2P2 foil Sen Triplets.

I would absolutely make that pick and this is not a criticism of you but it seems so miserable to me to have to know what all the cards are worth and have to hack rares when it's supposed to be a super fun format.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Entropic posted:

I got a pack 3 pick 3 foil reaper king, so alright.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Mystery boosters seem pretty popular. Completely sold out at card kingdom and scg and up to $8/pack and $160/box on tcgplayer.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Rahu posted:

Mystery boosters seem pretty popular. Completely sold out at card kingdom and scg and up to $8/pack and $160/box on tcgplayer.

The store I was at bought 50. Used 2 1/2 the tournament. Is keeping 2 for next week. And sold the other 45. The manager said they might open some. So I’m not sure if they set some aside. He said he wished he bought 100 boxes.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
My lgs sold out before they closed, I'm glad I pre-ordered the day before and picked up right as they opened. Pulled lots of cool poo poo like reapy boi, queen marchesa, demonic tutor, selvala and elesh norn. I'd pick up another box but dropping so much money on packs feels bad. Also they should out.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I split a box with my cousin today. Got some sweet pulls like Teferi's Protection, foil Helix Pinnacle, foil Braid of Fire, Meren, Aura Shards, Manamorphose, Thran Dynamo, Herald's Horn, Kruphix, Fatal Push, and Liliana, Death's Majesty.

Considering I traded some trade binder stuff I didn't want for the store credit to pay for my half of the box, I'm pretty pleased :unsmith:

My cousin bought a second box and pulled a Sen Triplets and 2 Demonic Tutors though, so we might do some trading since the only color he doesn't play is black and he wants Teferi's Protection and a couple of the green things I pulled. I have one of those from the precon, so I don't mind parting with it. I've always wanted to try out Sen Triplets as a commander so it's cool.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

All the cards will crash and the value will plummet in a week (which is good). How LGS owners think they can beat the curve by opening them and selling singles is beyond me, much less individual people. Just draft the drat set.

On the other hand, Corona kills paper so selling everything as fast as you can is probably a good thing.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
My friends and I spent our evening delighted at the cool cards we got and happy how much they all dropped in price. This set is great.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I got my box for $100 and opened about $150 worth of stuff, most of which I will move. I have another box pre-ordered at $110, I was gonna cancel it but I’ll keep it instead.

You’re more likely to make you’re money back on the weird foils than in bomb money rares.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Last night everyone just drafted money cards and stuff for their Commander decks and didn't care about winning. I'm cool with that.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The format seems like it can be fun if a bit ridiculous.
I managed to beat a resolved Elesh Norn by chump-blocking until my Approach of the Second Sun came back.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Holy poo poo stop going to the loving LGS

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ShaneB posted:

Mine has cancelled all events for the next 2 weeks. :shrug:

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

ShaneB posted:

I've been wanting to plan paper magic for a few weeks but know it's a bad idea. I've been sticking to Arena for now..

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Got my box in the mail. Counting the foils as being worth the original non foil version I pulled $299. It seems like rhtstic study is the only money card that hasn’t taken a big hit so far.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

ShaneB posted:

I feel bad for mine, but I'm not going. I might order a board game from them, and I plan on getting at least three Ikoria prerelease kits so I can play with my fiance. I'm definitely not going to any events or going there just to hang out.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

LifeLynx posted:

I feel bad for mine, but I'm not going. I might order a board game from them, and I plan on getting at least three Ikoria prerelease kits so I can play with my fiance. I'm definitely not going to any events or going there just to hang out.

Yeah I'm gonna like order a board game or a preorder box of Ikoria to help support. No way in hell I'm stepping foot into the store though. Even with their post about increasing cleaning.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ShaneB posted:

Yeah I'm gonna like order a board game or a preorder box of Ikoria to help support. No way in hell I'm stepping foot into the store though. Even with their post about increasing cleaning.

Same, my LGS cancelled its regular weekend events and has been doing what it can to accommodate the people who signed up for Mystery Booster drafts the next few Fridays. Going to at least order an Ikoria prerelease kit or two from them, might even do some singles shopping once this all clears.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/1238932575495872513

This from the guy who keeps complaining about MTGfinance

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Saffron Olive is the absolute worst MtG personality not yet accused of sex crimes.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Saffron Olive is the absolute worst MtG personality not yet accused of sex crimes.

Worse than boohoogland?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

A big flaming stink posted:

Worse than boohoogland?
I'm gonna say that his constant whining is less lovely on the whole than "actually, paying $200 for a few pieces of cardboard is in fact totally fair".

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
the chinese counterfeits are getting pretty good

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

kalvanoo posted:

the chinese counterfeits are getting pretty good

Extremely good. And WotC/Hasbro has to be aware of that fact.

Redjakk
Apr 24, 2007

cormano sigue siendo mi hermano
Fun Shoe
Got a box for a 5 person draft and...

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The fact mystery booster doesn't have a giant question mark as its set symbol is massively disappointing.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I picked up my pre order box today. It’s current value is at $303. The best cards were rhystic study and a marrow gnawer. I’m assuming that the foils are worth the original non foil value because tcg doesn’t have the foils in the system yet. I’m sure it’ll drop closer to $200 in a couple weeks.

Tons of $3-$8 cards. Which is great because I tend not to buy cards worth over $3. Hopefully I can trade to the commander players.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Bust Rodd posted:

The guys VOICE oh my GOD STOP

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

The American Dream posted:

I picked up my pre order box today. It’s current value is at $303. The best cards were rhystic study and a marrow gnawer. I’m assuming that the foils are worth the original non foil value because tcg doesn’t have the foils in the system yet. I’m sure it’ll drop closer to $200 in a couple weeks.

Tons of $3-$8 cards. Which is great because I tend not to buy cards worth over $3. Hopefully I can trade to the commander players.

I mean you just bought “price of box divided by 3” 3 dollar cards

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

A Big... Dog posted:

The guys VOICE oh my GOD STOP

He sound's like he's doing an early 90's radio DJ shtick and it's unbearable.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dr. Poz posted:

It's entirely an affectation. He drops it for the multiplayer Commander videos, and they make fun of him if he lapses into it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Poz posted:

It was wild last week, I had him on because he was playing Historic. He's doing his thing when his pregnant wife brings their youngest kid in the room. The little one hops in his lap, and he and his wife talk about their plan for pulling their oldest kid out of school because of the virus.

And that whole persona just melted away, just a guy talking sweet to his kid, discussing family matters with his wife. Normal voice, human interaction, and I was like, HERE IS the guy I would watch stream.

But they left the room and he went back to talking to chat in that exaggerated voice and that was it.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Huxley posted:

It was wild last week, I had him on because he was playing Historic. He's doing his thing when his pregnant wife brings their youngest kid in the room. The little one hops in his lap, and he and his wife talk about their plan for pulling their oldest kid out of school because of the virus.

And that whole persona just melted away, just a guy talking sweet to his kid, discussing family matters with his wife. Normal voice, human interaction, and I was like, HERE IS the guy I would watch stream.

But they left the room and he went back to talking to chat in that exaggerated voice and that was it.

Why why why would you use such an awfully annoying persona. I've tried to watch his videos but I can't get past it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Whoever suggested watching Tolarian College videos at 1.25x speed, thank you. Why does he speak so slowly in his videos? When I see him have an actual conversation, he's totally different.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

LifeLynx posted:

Whoever suggested watching Tolarian College videos at 1.25x speed, thank you. Why does he speak so slowly in his videos? When I see him have an actual conversation, he's totally different.

Community college professor voice, you speak so that everyone can follow along ok even if they have minor audio processing issues

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
He used to be an adjunct college professor. I'm assuming that's his "clear and enunciated" teaching voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's actually really nice when mtgo content creators do that, since mtgo plays so slowly that you want to turn the speed up anyway.