Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
She's got the Beyonce Squat going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

So weird to see something almost monopose in 2020.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Arven posted:

So weird to see something almost monopose in 2020.

They aren't monopose, they are relentlessly precise.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Goonhammer has a great article on screening in 40k ( https://www.goonhammer.com/start-competing-how-to-screen-everything/ ), is there a similar guide anywhere for Age of Sigmar? I'm getting the most value out of this guide for the reverse, understanding how to work around someone who's screening well. I'm specifically wondering in Sigmar how to best use my deep strike for Nighthaunt, who I should target, what I should try to charge. I keep finding myself gummed up in my opponent's screens.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
A lot of that seems like it crosses over fairly well. However, there's one big difference in AoS - you can target characters even if they aren't the closest unit, but they get -1 to hit if an enterprising unit of meat shields is next to the target. Relics that offer - to hit against shooting, or make shooting impossible, are very powerful. The Deepkin also have Forgotten Nightmares, which forces you to shoot at the closest Deepkin unit.

For Nighthaunt in particular, note that all Nighthaunt have flying. In AoS, flying triggers on any type of move, so charges and pile ins count. I don't believe its the same for 40k. This makes it really easy (in theory) for your ghosts to get the wrap and trap going. Retreat moves also count, which means Glaivewraith Stalkers with their unit musician can retreat OVER a thinly spread screen and then charge again.

There is one big difference between the two games - you don't declare the target of a charge in AoS, as Overwatch isn't a thing. You just roll and see how far they can get, and then move as you wish to get to whatever it is you can charge. Because Nighthaunt fly, if you roll well enough, you can just charge over the screening unit and smack that Lord Relictor in the face (Hexwraiths love to do this).

Essentially, Nighthaunt can bypass screening really well. What are you playing against? How are they positioning stuff? More info would be helpful. :hmmorks:

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The Deleter posted:

A lot of that seems like it crosses over fairly well. However, there's one big difference in AoS - you can target characters even if they aren't the closest unit, but they get -1 to hit if an enterprising unit of meat shields is next to the target. Relics that offer - to hit against shooting, or make shooting impossible, are very powerful. The Deepkin also have Forgotten Nightmares, which forces you to shoot at the closest Deepkin unit.

For Nighthaunt in particular, note that all Nighthaunt have flying. In AoS, flying triggers on any type of move, so charges and pile ins count. I don't believe its the same for 40k. This makes it really easy (in theory) for your ghosts to get the wrap and trap going. Retreat moves also count, which means Glaivewraith Stalkers with their unit musician can retreat OVER a thinly spread screen and then charge again.

There is one big difference between the two games - you don't declare the target of a charge in AoS, as Overwatch isn't a thing. You just roll and see how far they can get, and then move as you wish to get to whatever it is you can charge. Because Nighthaunt fly, if you roll well enough, you can just charge over the screening unit and smack that Lord Relictor in the face (Hexwraiths love to do this).

Essentially, Nighthaunt can bypass screening really well. What are you playing against? How are they positioning stuff? More info would be helpful. :hmmorks:

I play against Slaves to Darkness most often, and often get gummed up on all their units that can roll to ignore mortal wounds. Other than that, my local store has a healthy variety of factions: Sky Dwarves, Stormcast, Rats, Goblins, Flesheater Courts, Beastmen, etc.

Unless I'm mis-remembering and mis-reading, one of the differences that makes it tough for me to apply 40k strategies to Sigmar is, in 40k the charging units get to fight first, putting a strong emphasis on charging the right unit at the right time in 40k, and that article talks about this in relation to screening. In Sigmar, units having charged doesn't put them in the top of the list to fight, and this is where I end up struggling with doing my own screening and navigating around my opponent's. I'll charge and pick my first unit to fight using strategies I would in 40k (tag a couple extra units with the charge that will get to swing back at me earlier than I planned, charging a ton in one phase and having my enemy wipe out a few squads before they get to fight), and that doesn't go so well for me.

edit: I really need to build some greenstuff drums for my glaivewraiths. I have so many of them from Tempest of Souls boxes I bought for the chainrasps, but they don't come with the drums.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

Chainclaw posted:

I play against Slaves to Darkness most often, and often get gummed up on all their units that can roll to ignore mortal wounds. Other than that, my local store has a healthy variety of factions: Sky Dwarves, Stormcast, Rats, Goblins, Flesheater Courts, Beastmen, etc.

Unless I'm mis-remembering and mis-reading, one of the differences that makes it tough for me to apply 40k strategies to Sigmar is, in 40k the charging units get to fight first, putting a strong emphasis on charging the right unit at the right time in 40k, and that article talks about this in relation to screening. In Sigmar, units having charged doesn't put them in the top of the list to fight, and this is where I end up struggling with doing my own screening and navigating around my opponent's. I'll charge and pick my first unit to fight using strategies I would in 40k (tag a couple extra units with the charge that will get to swing back at me earlier than I planned, charging a ton in one phase and having my enemy wipe out a few squads before they get to fight), and that doesn't go so well for me.

edit: I really need to build some greenstuff drums for my glaivewraiths. I have so many of them from Tempest of Souls boxes I bought for the chainrasps, but they don't come with the drums.

For the drums, the zombie noisemaker and skaven drumsticks work well if you have the cash for bitz.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Chainclaw posted:

The 40k tactics aren’t going to work out well in AoS for several reasons. You identified the big one, which is that you don’t get to strike first, but the reason you do stuff like pull in others units is very different.

If you don’t think a unit can survive a full battle round of combat you either attack with them first or just not charge. And you generally want to tag as few units as possible unless you are charging a very beefy unit and really need to tie up a few units for a turn.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I may have just bought 50 halberdiers, 40 handgunners, 20 greatswords, 30 freeguild militia and 14 empire knights....

Im going to need some more simple green

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
This seraphon book has bound non-predatory endless spells. I don't understand. They seem the same but for more pts?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Harvey Mantaco posted:

This seraphon book has bound non-predatory endless spells. I don't understand. They seem the same but for more pts?

One of the spells they have is a mass-dispel that clears everything except bound spells.not sure that its worth the points, but thats the difference I can think of for non-predatory

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Yeah wtf? That makes no sense. Maybe they'll faq it so that the effect only touches enemy units or something because it's pointless as is.

E: or that^^^

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

You can always take the regular version, so no matter, but just seems odd.
Also that dispel is only so big, and needs a 9.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Finally finished up a unit of Blightkings and took some pictures. Pretty pleased with how these turned out.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You did a really good job with the armor. It looks like poo poo in the best way.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Very Blanche energy, it'sa nice

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Is the Azyr app like hilariously out of date? I can’t see cities of sigmar as a selectable faction in it

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

No, Cities is actually the first allegiance that I see in Order. Are you sure you don't have any app updates to dl?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Mikey Purp posted:

No, Cities is actually the first allegiance that I see in Order. Are you sure you don't have any app updates to dl?

Nope, and it forced an update before letting me launch it today. Guess ill uninstall and redownload!

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Rules question for using allegiances which force a command trait (e.g. the constellations from the Seraphon book, stormcast chambers):

If you're using an allegiance which forces a command trait with another condition, do you have to pick your general so that condition is met?

For example, the Thunder Lizard trait says "A THUNDER LIZARD general with a MONSTER mount must have this command trait..."

Does this mean your general HAS to have a monster mount? By my read you can bypass this by just making a Slann as your general (and get a much better command trait TBH).

Is this FAQ'd somewhere?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

I've waited. I've waited so long.

I'm so excited.

Bonus terrain:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
That's awesome stuff.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Those are some beautiful dream lizards.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I've waited. I've waited so long.
Daaaaang. That's some beautiful terrain!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

MinistryofLard posted:

Rules question for using allegiances which force a command trait (e.g. the constellations from the Seraphon book, stormcast chambers):

If you're using an allegiance which forces a command trait with another condition, do you have to pick your general so that condition is met?

For example, the Thunder Lizard trait says "A THUNDER LIZARD general with a MONSTER mount must have this command trait..."

Does this mean your general HAS to have a monster mount? By my read you can bypass this by just making a Slann as your general (and get a much better command trait TBH).

Is this FAQ'd somewhere?

No. In this case if your general isnt riding a monster you can just pick a different one.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

That terrain is incredible. Does anyone make dioramas?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

hey guys look at me, I'm a stormcast hurr my god sucks and I'm a twat

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Geisladisk posted:

:hmmyes:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Geisladisk posted:

Daaaad, he's making fun of me!

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Geisladisk posted:

you can't repost whole AoS 1.0 battletomes here

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

So enemy units can garrison the realmshaper engine, right? Or is there some rule that would prevent that. Because since you have to put it down before terrain... seems kind of fucky to give that to the other player half the time?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Speaking of...

Finished my lizardman pylon:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Dope

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

That looks dope af!! Nice job.

And yeah...I believe that it can be garrisoned by enemies as well. That combined with the fact that it gets placed before terrain makes it kind of useless imo. Hoping that they address it in the FAQ.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
For those who missed it, Goonhammer has an interview with James Hewitt about why Age of Sigmar came out so hosed up.

tl;dr - Many of the hosed up things that came out (4 pages of rules, the silly compendium rules) were due to people latching onto and running too hard with the original ideas (4 page quick-start rules to be accompanied by a more developed core rulebook, thematic rules like a Keeper of Secrets offering more attacks to an enemy hero in exchange for the possibility of damnation). On top of this, time constraints and only writing around the original core set meant ranged combat wasn't given enough time to be developed.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 19, 2020

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Harvey Mantaco posted:

So enemy units can garrison the realmshaper engine, right? Or is there some rule that would prevent that. Because since you have to put it down before terrain... seems kind of fucky to give that to the other player half the time?

It can only be used by a friendly SERAPHON WIZARD (friendly to the placing player?) but as I understand it there's nothing stopping your enemy from squatting in it.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The company culture he describes at GW is unbelievably unhealthy and toxic. Glad they cleaned house and brought in new people. It really shows in the quality of the products, too. Five years ago GW games were a punchline to me, now I play three of them.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Geisladisk posted:

The company culture he describes at GW is unbelievably unhealthy and toxic. Glad they cleaned house and brought in new people. It really shows in the quality of the products, too. Five years ago GW games were a punchline to me, now I play three of them.

I hope whoever rehabilitated AOS was properly compensated, nothing short of a miracle to take that game from where it was to where it is now.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

RagnarokAngel posted:

I hope whoever rehabilitated AOS was properly compensated, nothing short of a miracle to take that game from where it was to where it is now.

For sure. It makes me hopeful that 40k 9th will be better than the mess that is 8th is. Playing a much simpler game is nice when you want to push more than a dozen models in one game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Since everyone is stuck inside if y'all still got people to play with come get a big discount on my printed poo poo.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/SigmariteBoutique?coupon=CORONASUX

20% off orders over $20 CAD until the end of the month.